March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Update] The Sims Spark'd Finale - Discussion with Spoilers!

EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
edited August 2020 in The Sims Spark'd
Sul sul Simmers!

7ild4d3cfmkw.png
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Post updated for the great finale tonight, August 7! :smiley:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Tick tock tick tock* Can you hear that? This is the clock ticking, counting down the hours until The Sims Spark'd Finale is here!!!

I can imagine that you will want to chat about things happening in the first part of the series once it's out so this is the space to do so! :smiley:
But please be considerate of your fellow Simmers who haven't seen the show yet and use spoiler tags when you comment here. If you need a refresher on how spoiler tags work, please check out THIS THREAD.

I'm looking forward to reading your comments! And remember, be kind to each other even if emotions are running high (we all know we can expect a lot of excitement!) and enjoy! :)

- Leeloo
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,436 Member
    I'm quite curious how it works. Do I have TBS? Hmm. I'll have to check on that. It might be on my Roku.
    #Team Occult
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,633 Member
    How to watch TBS.

Mobile app from the App store, Google Play, or Amazon.

Also:
    Apple TV
    Roku
    Xbox
    Fire TV
    Android TV
    Chromecast
    TBS.com

https://www.tbs.com/apps

edited July 2020
    Wow. That hour flew by. Definitely tuning in for Episode 2.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Rooting for the Gnomes, too, although I don't think they need it.

I watched last night, and then discovered it was on TBS again at 8am Eastern Saturday morning.

It was fun, and I'm much impressed with what the contestants were able to do in the time allotted. Storytelling was the weakest, and I don't think the twist was helpful at all. I think the challenge would have been difficult enough without it.

Curious to see whether next week will follow the same format, which I guess means I'll be watching.

Hugs to @SimGuruNinja, and I think there should be a ban on Sims dying in the competition. But I get you. When someone close to me died, I was tearing up over commercials even.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I can't believe I didn't know about this until today when some tweets started flying. Wow, I was checking twitter for knitting stuff pack updates and I got a TV show lol!! I absolutely LOVED it!! I'm really looking forward to episode 2. It is really fun and entertaining reality tv meets Sims challenges with a 100K prize. Crazy idea and so much fun. I was grinning through the whole episode my face actually hurt after one hour.... Except for that moment of course with @SimGuruNinja that had me tear up a bit.

I think you could see some nerves in the first episode, but I predict they will gain more confidence and drive to win. Maybe some challenges need more time. So will they split up after a while and compete individually??

The possibilities for this show are endless. Keep it going guys. Don't listen to the haters here. So much potential. I want 30+ seasons like Survivor. I'd like to see more average unknown contestants in the future or even celebrities. Bring in a touch of Master Chef and make them cook one of the Sim recipes and have @SimGuruNinja taste test it for an advantage prize!

I loved the challenges to build lots and stories and create interesting families. I would like to see some of the pack themes brought into challenges like vampires, strangerville, jungle, tiny living, magic, pets etc..

The three hosts were amazing. Such a great job. Hilarious touch that they are reclining on Sofas watching them work on a huge screen tv haha that cracked me up.

Really fun. Really enjoyed it. I just can't believe I have a Sims 4 Reality TV show to add to my list of Amazing Race, Master Chef and Survivor lol. :grin: I'm rooting for the Canadian girl to win. :)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    My TV for some reason hasn't been able to get sound on TBS (all the other channels are fine) but fortunately it's available "on demand" on my sister's TV so I was able to watch while she was at work (staying with her for a few months). Good show, though I felt sorry for Team Freezer Bunny. #TeamLlama (we need a fez in the Hats category!)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I donno does it count as a spoiler to talk about the format?

How can there be '4 parts' I assume 4 episodes if... there are only 4 teams? I'm deeply confused... If you eliminate a team an episode that leaves 1 team for the season(hopefully?) finale and what are we going to see for an hour? All three people against each other?!
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    edited July 2020
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    Just finished watching the first episode, and i really enjoyed it! Im definitely team CowPlant :p
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    Not bad for a Pilot. It'll get better for me if/when we get Simmers who win the challenges on the Gallery to play the game. People we don't know already. I hope the challenges there aren't won by votes as I've already seen some posting their builds on Twitter to get them and that is not fair to those who don't.
  • ImSandsImSands Posts: 329 Member
    I checked out the first episode out of morbid curiosity not expecting much at all. To my surprise, I was totally hooked, feeling all the nerves along with the teams, and rooting for everyone. I loved it!! Will def be watching the rest of the eps.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,347 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I donno does it count as a spoiler to talk about the format?

How can there be '4 parts' I assume 4 episodes if... there are only 4 teams? I'm deeply confused... If you eliminate a team an episode that leaves 1 team for the season(hopefully?) finale and what are we going to see for an hour? All three people against each other?!

Last set of challenges will probably be a "two parter" with a lot more in detail coverage - and longer videos.

Yeah, I watch too many reality competition shows.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,014 Member
    edited July 2020
    To be honest, it was pretty rough. Limited time to make it, a few minutes to tell the story, and limited to Sims 4's Live Mode? Of course they're not going to be as deep or particularly cohesive. The game's limited gameplay options and lack of proper story-telling tools were on full display, too. Even trailers rely HEAVILY on editing, animations and tools not available in the game proper. Even the pre-mades in Sims 4 have almost no work put into their stories. So seeing the judges complain about it is like seeing someone being given stone and chisel and then being asked to make a painting. I get that the goal is to work with what you have and with limits, but even Drag Race has their contestants prepare outfits before coming into the competition.

(I'm also a little bitter because Jenn is pretty famous for her intricate stories. So the challenges were basically asking her to water them down.)

I like the guru guy, but it felt like he was trying too hard to be the Simon Cowell of the group. Some of his complaints were kind of dumb. Why would you need to decorate the outside of sets? It's pointless busywork that doesn't really improve the look that much, nor does it enhance the story. If anything, working on the unimportant stuff would detract from the stuff that actually matters.

Even if they could have been done with a little more nurturing, we did get some good stories, builds and sims. The contestants were fire. That Drama Llama story had me dying. Honestly, all the contestants came out looking pretty good.

EDIT: So during the show, little pop-ups will tell you to go to TheSims.com/Sparkd to get more info on why towns were built, what a simoleon is, whatever. But I went on the website and they didn't really have anything explaining these things lol.
    Post edited by Gordy on
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Just watched it and it was as I expected it’s an ok show to pass my time but still don’t think the team should have gone down this route. The only thing I’ve noticed which I’ve seen no-one else comment on is the winning family are in the eco lifestyle pack of Mary and blossom Greenburg and their adopted family story expect in the game they have Knox not the characters the winning team have.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    To be honest, it was pretty rough. Limited time to make it, a few minutes to tell the story, and limited to Sims 4's Live Mode? Of course they're not going to be as deep or particularly cohesive. The game's limited gameplay options and lack of proper story-telling tools were on full display, too. Even trailers rely HEAVILY on editing, animations and tools not available in the game proper. Even the pre-mades in Sims 4 have almost no work put into their stories. So seeing the judges complain about it is like seeing someone being given stone and chisel and then being asked to make a painting. I get that the goal is to work with what you have and with limits, but even Drag Race has their contestants prepare outfits before coming into the competition.

I like the guru guy, but it felt like he was trying too hard to be the Simon Cowell of the group. Some of his complaints were kind of dumb. Why would you need to decorate the outside of sets? It's pointless busywork that doesn't really improve the look that much, nor does it enhance the story. If anything, working on the unimportant stuff would detract from the stuff that actually matters.

We have an advert on UK TV which has the person in it going through doors etc., from room to different room and scenes and person changing as they go. I would have done it like that with all rooms joined together in some way. I was disappointed at the lack of outside decoration & wallpaper too . It would have given some idea of storyline, modern or retro. I even wallpaper the outside of my basements in my own games!

Sim Guru Ninja was good but a little too serious and needed backup with more young Maxis employees instead of those media stars. I could see he was really upset when a team let itself down. He was willing them on. With a bit of re-arrangement it could be a good show. Maybe a bit longer and a short tutorial somewhere like making roofs etc.? This is only the Pilot.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,710 Member
    I think they should have focused more on CAS and Build mode, there was way too much focus on building stories, something that is the weakest part in the sims4. So there was a lot of pressure on the gamechanger who was in charge of story.

I think all three gamechangers should have worked with CAS, Build Mode and Story and they should have judged them based on all three parts. If they had a great looking house, then they should get point for that, if they have great looking sims, then they should get points for that.

Instead they seemed to judge them a lot based on their story, the weakest part of the sims 4. And sometimes the creativity and innovation that they did based on the games limitations just got completely lost.

One team made different rooms where they could tell their stories on multiple places, like a recording studio which made the story have depth, they got criticized for that.

Another team did a cool story based on a mysterious sim that wrote down scandalous things happening where it was not entirely clear who it was until the end. They got criticized because it was "not about the sim itself"
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    What I find really really interesting is that the actual core of the game isn't being played if I understand this correctly. And by that I mean the live-mode in the way it was designed to be played. Sure The Sims 4 is about building and creating sims but it is a life simulator above it all and I think not using it for any part of the show speaks volumes as to what the SimsTeam thinks of the game.
    I was really surprised to hear that the storyline part of the challenge has to be scripted like a movie or machinima-like. This is a fully valid way to play the game and I won't judge anyone on that but what a about playing the game in normal live-mode? No scripts, no movies just the game? Is it not interesting enough?

I thought it was kind of funny because I recently read an article called "Sims Show Spark'd Will Show Off Everything The Game Can Do". Yeah but what about the actual live-mode gameplay? :lol:
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    What I find really really interesting is that the actual core of the game isn't being played if I understand this correctly. And by that I mean the live-mode in the way it was designed to be played. Sure The Sims 4 is about building and creating sims but it is a life simulator above it all and I think not using it for any part of the show speaks volumes as to what the SimsTeam thinks of the game.
    I was really surprised to hear that the storyline part of the challenge has to be scripted like a movie or machinima-like. This is a fully valid way to play the game and I won't judge anyone on that but what a about playing the game in normal live-mode? No scripts, no movies just the game? Is it not interesting enough?

I thought it was kind of funny because I recently read an article called "Sims Show Spark'd Will Show Off Everything The Game Can Do". Yeah but what about the actual live-mode? :lol:

In the first challenge they showed their story through live mode.
  • dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    edited July 2020
    I found it funny when they told Jesse's (Plumbella) team they could choose the other worlds the other teams would have to create drama, but her team chose nicely. Really highlights the kindness of the community that the show tries to avoid showing (especially the antagonizing of Dr. Gluon for Mira)

However, when they showed a picture of Willow Creek when talking about Brindleton Bay... wasn't nice.

Also, the video/machinima thing they had to make really showed how boring the emotions in the game are. The two kids are meant to be sad at their father's death but the boy stood in front is just goofily smiling AND THEN is sad.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,710 Member
    edited July 2020
    DatLlama wrote: »
    I found it funny when they told Jesse's (Plumbella) team they could choose the other worlds the other teams would have to create drama, but her team chose nicely. Really highlights the kindness of the community that the show tries to avoid showing (especially the antagonizing of Dr. Gluon for Mira)

I really liked that part, the host tried to create drama and none of them were having it. And when the host said that he had hoped that they would make it more difficult for each other, Plumbella responded: "Well no, cause if I go out, at least I have gone out being nice you know?"
  • SaltyCarameloSaltyCaramelo Posts: 5 New Member
    Just watched the first episode, To be honest it was very stressful to watch, I feel like they should have been given more time to be able to decently show off what they can do. The editing of the show makes it seem really rushed which I did not personally like. Also would have loved Jesse to have had more camera time, was missing her personality lol <3 Team Gnome FTW!
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Last set of challenges will probably be a "two parter" with a lot more in detail coverage - and longer videos.

Yeah, I watch too many reality competition shows.

Thanks I was really confused but this makes sense and was the only thing I can think of

Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players