Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Defunded or Forgotten? An Opportunity School Challenge and Side Project (7/29)

InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member

So I've never seen anyone do the "Opportunity School" challenge that I linked above and wasn't even able to find proof of it ever being done anywhere. For once I can go where no simmer has gone before. In summary: adopt four kids at a time to raise into well-adjusted, skilled, educated adults and repeat five times.

The rules haven't been updated in a while (and let's be real, were stuck in the middle of a TS2 -> TS3 transition, though making a challenge is hard work and I respect what OP did no matter what) and some of them I think need changing anyways. I can be a rule stickler until something looks incomplete and no one's around to chide me for it I guess. Let's be transparent here...
  • Parties are allowed because no one is going to come to the house as a perfect angel child. Their guardian may have different ideas, though.
  • Pets are allowed and encouraged, but I can't use dogs to hunt for collectables.
  • I ain't marrying an NPC.
  • Adopted children have randomized traits anyways and I will keep them even if they are "banned" like Good and Friendly or they don't have a "bad" trait. But as a compromise, every subsequent trait is randomized too. (Note: as I transition to the second class I do wonder if adopted kids in TS3 draw from a pool of good/neutral traits instead of getting them truly randomized; in my defense, I only adopted maybe three times in the space of many years in TS3 so who am I to know? We'll assess this condition later...)
  • I will alter the looks of adopted children in any way except for skintone.
  • I can send my students to University after high school but only if they get the highest scholarship level and I can afford it.
  • I'm playing on a modified lifespan with 14 days each for children and teenagers and 48 days each for young adults and adults (and a similarly long elder span), so my main caretaker can live to see all of her students graduate and also for the sake of realism.
  • I turned some packs off for simplicity + performance, so goodbye Island Paradise, Supernatural, Showtime, and World Adventures.

Oh, and scoring for reference. I removed things that were clear holdovers from TS2, things I wasn't gonna do anyways (having natal children), and changed a couple:

Positives:
  • Each set graduated: +2. (That should add up to +10 in the end)
  • Top a career: +5
  • Get married: +5
  • Each A from a student: +1
  • Each student on Honor Roll by graduation: +2
  • Each student that graduates university: +2
  • Each skill point earned by the students (all added together): +1
  • Each skill mastered by student: +4
  • Each skill mastered by founder: +3
  • For each $100k the school is worth in the end: +1

Negatives:
  • Each kid taken by the social worker: -15
  • Each fire you have: -3
  • Every D or F a student gets: -5
  • Every demotion you get: -2
  • Value of the school in the end is less than $100,000: -20
  • Every visitor that dies on the lot: -10
  • Each student that dies: -15

Bonus:
  • Reach the top of 2 or more careers: +10
  • Every student has gotten an A (can only be fulfilled in the end): +10
  • Each student with over 50k LTHP upon leaving: +1
  • Fulfill LTW: +5
  • Every two family friends: +2
  • Every friend each student has: +1
Chapters

Chapter 1 (7/1)
Chapter 2 (7/3)
Chapter 3 (7/7)
Chapter 4 (7/14)
Chapter 5 (7/29)
Chapter 6 (7/29)
A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
Post edited by InfraGreen on

Comments

• Options
    Scores

Class #1: Shane Evans, BettyJo Whitehorse, Chrystal Hathalie, Sheena Stone

+2, every kid graduated
    +4, every kid got an A in high school
    +8, every kid got on the honor roll
    +8, two skills maxed (Sheena and logic, Chrystal and athletic)
    +3, three friends were made (Indiana Abernathy, Addison Ross, Zachary Crenshaw)
    -10, two kids got a D or F (Shane and BettyJo, they recovered)
    -6, we had two fires

Skill Points

Shane: +18 (8 athletic, 7 fishing, 3 handiness)
    BettyJo: +21 (7 athletic, 3 cooking, 3 fishing, 7 logic, 1 social networking)
    Chrystal: +22 (10 athletic, 4 fishing, 8 handiness)
    Sheena: +19 (1 athletic, 4 cooking, 3 fishing, 10 logic, 1 social networking)

Class Score: 89

Class #2: Noam Yazzie, Winifred Holiday, Jacqueline Begaye, Walker Nez (IN PROGRESS)

+2, every kid graduated
    +2, Walker made it university on a scholarship
    +4, every kid got an A in high school
    +8, every kid got on the honor roll
    +8, two skills maxed (Noam maxed logic, Jacqueline maxed inventing)
    +8, eight friends made (Mikel King, Shasta Northrop, Rosalyn Steel, Nikki Matlapin, Dorian Hendrix-Nita, Perry Rivera, Farrah Rivera, Abner Shaw)
    -6, two fires

Skill Points

Noam, +5 (5 in logic)
    Winifred, +9 (4 in painting, 5 in gardening)
    Jacqueline, +6 (5 in inventing, 1 in fishing)
    Walker, +7 (4 in logic, 5 in inventing)

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Chapter 5

Sheena becomes a teenager and even makes a friend, if not under the 100% best circumstances. Brunch happens too.

Chapter 6

We get a glimpse of Sandria's vaguely less stressful dumpster fire of a personal life. Gemini decides she needs a rivalry with a fellow teacher, or maybe it's all in her head.

outrun / blog / tunglr