Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Biggest Problem with The Sims 4

OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
edited July 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So I was thinking about the packs in the game, and I realised that the pros and cons for basically every single one is the same. The Sims 4 seems to have a running theme of style over substance. For most packs the worlds are visually beautiful, the CAS is full of nice items, and there's tons of really nice build-buy items and these things repeatedly become the star of the show. Rather than the gameplay, which tends to fall short.

For example; Eco Lifestyle. The overall response seems to be that people love the build-buy stuff and the CAS, but don't like the gameplay features.

Then in Island Living - the world is stunning, the build-buy is nice and so is the CAS but again, the gameplay isn't all there.

Then in Get Together, people praise the world all the time and there's so much love for Windenburg, but the gameplay elements of the pack are nowhere near as popular.

City living, it's nice to have apartments and everything looks nice but there's not really much else to the pack.
Realm of magic - beautiful visually, lacking interesting gameplay. You get the gist.

In past editions it seemed to be the opposite way around. If you look at packs in TS3 for example, the build-buy and CAS generally aren't very exciting (in my opinion at least), they're heavily themed and are generally just there as an add on to the gameplay, there isn't many items that are usable in every day gameplay. Whilst in TS4 every pack is full of tons of really nice items, and it's almost like the gameplay is an add on to the visuals.

It just seems like as an over all, in TS4 the majority of the focus is put on the visuals and making everything look nice rather than creating fun gameplay. Essentially, the game is like a pretty building simulator and character creator first, and a game second. And I hope that changes with the next edition and we'll get to see more gameplay focus, rather than visual focus.

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Clutter is what TS4 packs contain. We should see TS2 and TS3 actually offered more usuable objects whether for fun and or skill building and or consequences rather than decor to fill slots on a counter.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    You're right. The packs are more focused in bb and cas but what bothers me most is that the existent gameplay lacks depth. For example, nectar making vs fizz drinks. With nectar making you could mix several harvestables and the process involved getting the nectar old in basements... it was complex. Fizz drinks are linear. You can only use one harvestable with one emotional outcome...
    I like playing sims 4, i love actually, but truth must be said...
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I think there was always a demand for having more build/buy objects, because TS3 (and previous games) lacked in that department. There were also complaints about the non-dynamic pudding faces in TS3. Those may have been some of the reasons (among possible other reasons I spoke about in other threads...don't get me started) for the team to create a more aesthetically pleasing game.

But you're right, every focus seemed to have shifted towards building and CAS, and because there's so much of it, we may not feel the lack of an Open World, Create a Style, or a World Editor. Except we do. Or at least a lot of players do. Other game play elements such as AI suffer because of a game engine that was supposed to support the game differently than what it is doing now. But at least we have beautiful colors and 'depth of field'.
    Which of course isn't enough for a lot of players who want an implementation of the kind of Ai and story telling/ gameplay mechanics that previous games offered.

Speaking from a builder/ CAS creator's POV, I do think Building and CAS are equally important game play elements, but those shouldn't take away from the actual life simulator aspect of a game. If I want to play with my sims, I also want them to have personality. Right now there is none of that.

I often compare it with Blockbuster Movies. They can look magnificent with top notch special effects and beautifully Rendered Sci-Fi Cities and fantasy landscapes.
    But when it comes to the actually narrative and the characters within that narrative, one may find it's often an empty, meaningless story line driven by characters with no personality whatsoever.

Personally I agree that there is a clear imbalance between all the necessary game play elements in TS4.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    So I was thinking about the packs in the game, and I realised that the pros and cons for basically every single one is the same. The Sims 4 seems to have a running theme of style over substance. For most packs the worlds are visually beautiful, the CAS is full of nice items, and there's tons of really nice build-buy items and these things repeatedly become the star of the show. Rather than the gameplay, which tends to fall short.

For example; Eco Lifestyle. The overall response seems to be that people love the build-buy stuff and the CAS, but don't like the gameplay features.

Then in Island Living - the world is stunning, the build-buy is nice and so is the CAS but again, the gameplay isn't all there.

Then in Get Together, people praise the world all the time and there's so much love for Windenburg, but the gameplay elements of the pack are nowhere near as popular.

City living, it's nice to have apartments and everything looks nice but there's not really much else to the pack.
    Realm of magic - beautiful visually, lacking interesting gameplay. You get the gist.

In past editions it seemed to be the opposite way around. If you look at packs in TS3 for example, the build-buy and CAS generally aren't very exciting (in my opinion at least), they're heavily themed and are generally just there as an add on to the gameplay, there isn't many items that are usable in every day gameplay. Whilst in TS4 every pack is full of tons of really nice items, and it's almost like the gameplay is an add on to the visuals.

It just seems like as an over all, in TS4 the majority of the focus is put on the visuals and making everything look nice rather than creating fun gameplay. Essentially, the game is like a pretty building simulator and character creator first, and a game second. And I hope that changes with the next edition and we'll get to see more gameplay focus, rather than visual focus.

Well, I don't think this is a problem. Worlds and objects are like maybe half the game, and at least everyone agrees that the worlds and objects are nice looking. This means they have good artists and art director, or whoever decides how things should look like. The gameplay is down to coding and another team of people does that and could probably be improved on if they wanted to, especially as I understand this is something they do themselves, not outsource it. With gameplay however, many people want different things, so I guess it's difficult to implement everything so it satisfies everyone. Some want open world, some want more or less autonomy, some want rampaging vampires, some don't want them at all. There are also 3 previous iterations to compare current one with and the team wants the players to accept a sims MMO as TS5.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Yes, i find some of the worlds to be very pretty! I also agree that ts4 has some gorgeous bb items. Too bad i cant use it to its full potional because there is no color wheel. I should probably learn how to make recolors. I feel indifferent towards ts3 bb mode and i rarely bother getting items for it from the store. There could be some lovely furniture over there but i wouldnt know. Anyway, i disagree about ts4 having less gameplay. I feel the packs have at least the same amount as in ts3. No idea about ts2, since i dont play it much I dont even know all the features it has. I own the ultimate collection and havent thought about how much gameplay did every single pack add.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The only time I ever hear TS4 being praised is when it comes to its visuals. Sims are pretty, worlds are pretty, clothes are pretty, furniture is pretty. And that's it. CAS, and to an extent BB, is really all TS4 has going for it. Gameplay is very dull and extremely lacking. This isn't a game I could ever play for hours and hours. Maybe 2 hours at most, and the majority of that time was in CAS. There's really not much to do which should not be the case for the 4th iteration of a game that his been out for 6 years.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I opened my game today for the first time in an eternity cause the trailer of the new SP made me want to play TS4. As soon as I loaded my game I'm surged by tons of bugs. My sims who were marked as ''being at work'' just reapeared on my lot and did normal things eventho they were supposed to be at work. Then my sim cancellation's of actions is horrendously slow. My sims don't sit and the other one can't finish to take a shower, he's constantly going out of it. I had another sim to tan and even when he was finished he had a moodlet ''burning in the sun'' with an annoying red aura around him (even the next day). So I had to quit the game, TS3 runs better for me. Not only TS4 has such a poor gameplay but even with the little gameplay it has to offer is flooded with glitches.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited July 2020
    Yes! I will say aslso that some expansions feel like have less gameplay than some game packs.

I think what makes expansions, game and stuff packs different is just the number of build/buy/cas items/world size
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Yes the core of this game is not what I think the sims should be. I seen that 6 years ago and I still feel the same.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Nothing will change in The Sims 4 as long as the Base Game Features is as Shallow as a puddle. NAP for example would be amazing currently, the thing is let us say the Free Love for example prevents jelousy from the neighborhood. The thing is, jealousy does not FEEL to exist ever since the base game. NAP and Eco Footprint is a great Idea but then again the Traits Do not matter. There is nothing special for Slob sims when the world is in industrial. No Sim Based Reaction. Easily Manipulated Emotion. Decorative Traits. Lack of relationship unique interactions. Lack or unfinished or buggy reactions (I mean try having a birthday party, sims will react After they blow the candle instead of during the blow of the candle, or they cannot even sit down at weddings!) and much more.

They keep expanding the shallow base game instead of fixing it. That is for me the biggest problem of The Sims 4.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I think the main problem is that no one really knows exactly what's in it in gameplay mode. At least we had guide books to all the other iterations. Some things one only finds out by chance when someone mentions it in the Forum and some things don't get noticed either by guides or game-changers either. The depth of the game is lost as you give up too soon.

Eco Lifestyle is a case in point. We need someone to guide us in starting if off as it's a complete mystery as to how one starts off a community lot in another world for instance. We learn more of what guide makers are disappointed about than how to get started.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    It just feels pointless to do things when there is no impact on the world or the sims. Even something like the Eco footprint feels like it doesn't impact the Sims' lives in any way. And the occasional "moodlet" just doesn't do it for me. I barely notice the moodlets and they also seem that change little in the gameplay.

As much as I love the graphics, the visuals, the worlds etc. many times I find myself not giving a woohoo about the Sims themselves.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    adamclark83adamclark83 Posts: 692 Member
    edited July 2020
    The biggest problem???

ALL THE BUGS AND CRASHING!!! And EA refusing to fix them all because there's no competition.

Also, why are people limited with what they can do; can't build water features in basements, removing those 2 two tiles at the bases of multi-storey staircases. The simplest things should not be the hardest to do.
    2quwd7.gif

• Options
    KolikokolitkaKolikokolitka Posts: 178 Member
    edited July 2020
    The biggest problem for me are the emotions. They are short lasting (even if they lasts few days) and make no impact on the Sim's life.
    There should be improvement on long lasting effects - memories, life aspirations, traits that do something.
    But with emotions, every Sim is the same. They do react same if they have the same emotion. When sad, they will just won't be able to use some stuff, that's not really interesting for me.
    I'd like to see unexpected outcomes, passive gameplay, more diverse Sims in sense of personality. Not how easy is to make them "happy" or "inspired".
    EA ID: Simkiim (you can find all my Maxis-only builds on Gallery)
    My build previews on this site HERE.
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    The ONLY thing I miss about TS4 when I play TS2 is the graphics. The neighborhoods and clothes are indeed beautiful in TS4. Gameplay in its entirety, though, is totally lacking.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    Well what to expect from a game that has in the description words like

''Imagine''
    ''Control''

Gameplay is the third feature in its feature list and it is for a reason. I mean the only thing that bothers me is the asking price.
    It should not cost you that much money to design and look at pretty things. For this price i wanted a challenging game with complexity, Sims having a mind of their own, things that happens outside of your control and freedom to create whatever the players want.
    But oh well i still like to play the game because of mods and my imagination and at least there are sales so yeah.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    the biggest problem with the sims 4 is that y'all buy everything and accept anything coming from them,
    "ugh i hate this pack but i'm buying it anyways cuz i like to have everything" like, it's okay to disagree on something, it doesn't mean ur less of a fan or a hater. and don't worry ea won't cease the sims franchise just because it gets a loss in sales.
    it's okay if you actually like what you're buying, i just disagree with people that doesn't like what they buy yet they still get it for the sake of owning it.
    we speak to companies through money and feedback, apparently feedback is no longer a concern for them since they are still making millions and they're keeping media approval by their constant "look how inclusive we are!!1!!1!"
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    the biggest problem with the sims 4 is that y'all buy everything and accept anything coming from them,
    "ugh i hate this pack but i'm buying it anyways cuz i like to have everything" like, it's okay to disagree on something, it doesn't mean ur less of a fan or a hater. and don't worry ea won't cease the sims franchise just because it gets a loss in sales.

@bellagoth_ yes yes this! It seems like simmers need to buy every new pack no matter what. Just to have the complete experience no matter the cost.

The more selective you are with what you spend your money on, the more effort EA and the Sims team will have to make creating the packs.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    IcyHeartAngelIcyHeartAngel Posts: 4 New Member
    i completely agree. there's no emotion or depth in the sims 4. there are no life-changing impacts of certain actions nor are there memories. like if a sim catches their s.o cheating on them then they should be hostile or have angry interactions towards that specific sim. or they would get the option to talk it out. like if they get some other moodlet, the angry moodlet gets kicked to the side lol and the sim is fine for sometime towards their s.o which is annoying.
    then there's all the censoring like when sims have drinks, there should be a 'tipsy' moodlet or a drunk one because that's what happens irl. there should be a pack based on drugs, gangs, grim storylines as well (for the simmers who like some grit and mafia stuff lol). currently, im using basemental drugs and gangs but it still doesn't add much.
    like i have to use my imagination for everything almost cos there's not much depth nor a storyline.
    (also ignore the profile pic cos i had made that when i was 12 so yuck and i cant change it until i have 15 posts so get rekt)
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    @SimmerGeorge exactly!
  • Options
    adamclark83adamclark83 Posts: 692 Member
    What about compatibility? I think somehow a Sim should know if they like their possible romance partner. The other night, I had a woman flirting with another Sim and while they were accepting of it, not once did they flirt with them back. One would think they weren't interested. It was all very one-sided.

Also, one thing I do hate is how the game makes the Sims we created as slim, but aren't currently playing, fatter. For example, a lovely Sim I created months ago named Mariko Kikuchi has a nice slim body. I was playing a different household and over time when I saw her moving about the city, she had gone from having a nice slim, sexy body to looking like she had eaten far too many chocolate cakes.
    2quwd7.gif

• Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    it's okay if you actually like what you're buying, i just disagree with people that doesn't like what they buy yet they still get it for the sake of owning it.
    we speak to companies through money and feedback, apparently feedback is no longer a concern for them since they are still making millions and they're keeping media approval by their constant "look how inclusive we are!!1!!1!"

TRUTH
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2020

Exactly. I've never understood peoples obsession with getting the "complete game". For me atleast I buy the packs I want and I don't buy the packs I don't want. I've barely bought any stuff packs as they're overpriced and don't interest me, and rather than paying full price for other packs and then complaining about how overpriced they I always wait for sales.

People who buy everything even though they know they're not gonna like it annoy me. It's like the 500 people who buy vampires, and then complain that there's vampires it their game. Like ??? If you don't want vampires, don't buy a pack called vampires :#
    The biggest problem???

ALL THE BUGS AND CRASHING!!! And EA refusing to fix them all because there's no competition.

That isn't really a Sims 4 issue though, that's a general issue with the franchise. Sims 3 has tons of nightmare bugs that they never even attempted to fix like Island Paradise being a mess. Atleast with TS4 there's somewhat regular bug fixes
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    What about compatibility? I think somehow a Sim should know if they like their possible romance partner. The other night, I had a woman flirting with another Sim and while they were accepting of it, not once did they flirt with them back. One would think they weren't interested. It was all very one-sided.

Also, one thing I do hate is how the game makes the Sims we created as slim, but aren't currently playing, fatter. For example, a lovely Sim I created months ago named Mariko Kikuchi has a nice slim body. I was playing a different household and over time when I saw her moving about the city, she had gone from having a nice slim, sexy body to looking like she had eaten far too many chocolate cakes.

That's a part of story progression I dislike in TS4. I played rotationally and if I brought a Sim to a resturant or cafe I would see my other Sims there, too. That's all good but they were getting fatter and fatter the more I saw them out. I had to switch and make one jog a lot to lose weight. The game should at least respect rotational players and not touch my played Sims, even if they are at a cafe every time I brought another Sim to one. It was very annoying.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member

This is the problem. Yes, what many fans don't understand (unfortunately) is that we “speak to companies through money.” The thing is, I still subconsciously trust The Sims to deliver quality over quantity, because their brand has earned my trust for over a decade. But rationally? The Sims 4 has mostly failed us. They pump out so many packs with such little meaning.

They have the potential to update the gameplay tenfold — as you can see with their base-game updates — and yet, they continue to push their Expansion/Game/Stuff Packs that just adds more fluff to the game. (Actually, they should be called Fluff Packs. LOL) Previous games could not easily update gameplay like The Sims 4 can. It's awesome technology; but they waste their resources pumping out more fluff instead of meaningful, fulfilling content... Why? Because it's guaranteed money (remember: money is their language) because of the completionists. These “completionists” are being taken advantage of. That is the biggest problem with The Sims 4.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities