Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaids deserve a pack

JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
Hello! This post is more for occult players. I Wanted to know if anyone would be interested in having a mermaid “add on” pack based on more tails , hairstyles , tops , furniture & possibly more powers/skill tree to them & even a secret world or finally give us a underwater pack. I just feel like mermaids are lacking compare to the other occult’s & mermaids are my absolute favorite . I believe they should have never introduced them in the island living & gave them their own pack like most of the other occult’s.

Mermaids deserve a pack 219 votes

Yes !
31%
crocobauraLaBlue0314love7680PlayerSinger2010imhappymcruddBloosmooMariefoxprice83JestTrufruitsbasket101SirenLuminosalanmichael1BluelleSlayeurTownAquariusMomashcrash19Joybearrmikawagtroshalompapertongue 68 votes
No !
51%
Frn0731bshag4lvGoldmoldarGoth583Jasealexspoom13Bluebeard45sims2freak737AlexaiJueJuedanacnbrettTheSpotted_CsennawalesMeteoraStormelanorbretonhaneulAnmirlasimgirl1010friendlysimmerscchant86 113 votes
I have another idea!
17%
icmnfrshSara1010PCelticgamer0CamkatIsb917AuroraBoreallisIObellestilljustme2kemowerydavina1221bixtersMissmagoo2drakharissnoepjes1210BMSOluxsylvanEvaliynNiaraTiaraSo_MoneyScobre 38 votes

Comments

• GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Yes !
    I made this when Island Living first came out and it makes me cry everytime I look at it...

BPrPZ0A.jpg

:cry:
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I have another idea!
    People can always use CC and mods. DLC for DLC is not a good thing.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Yes !
    Camkat wrote: »
    They are already in IL so that's that. I don't think they should re-sell them to us in another pack.

I think they should go back and re-work mermaids (and aliens) and give them a bit of a talent tree like they did with vampires and spellcasters. It doesn't have to be as expansive as those in their own dedicated packs, but they should have a little more than what they were given.

Vampire and spellcasters have their own world where they can be true to their form. Why not mermaids? They could have an underwater place where they could be mermaids all the time, search for discarded forks and pearls and do other mermaid things.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I have another idea!
    crocobaura wrote: »
    They are already in IL so that's that. I don't think they should re-sell them to us in another pack.

I think they should go back and re-work mermaids (and aliens) and give them a bit of a talent tree like they did with vampires and spellcasters. It doesn't have to be as expansive as those in their own dedicated packs, but they should have a little more than what they were given.

Vampire and spellcasters have their own world where they can be true to their form. Why not mermaids? They could have an underwater place where they could be mermaids all the time, search for discarded forks and pearls and do other mermaid things.

Sure. If they can add it to IL. DLC for DLC is a shady idea and with how well MFPS went... they really shouldn't attempt that again. ;)

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    No !
    Agree that they're lacking and they definitely should've been more developed but we dont want another "My First Pet Stuff" scenario. They should've just included way more for mermaids with the pack
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    I have another idea!
    I would like mermaids to be improved. I don't necessarily need more tops and hair styles but I would love a few extra powers or abilities to unlock. This could be with a skill tree or a mermaid skill. My biggest wish however would be for child and toddler mermaids to have a mermaid form. It is so sad that young mermaids currently don't have the one characteristic that defines a mermaid. Mermaid offspring can have a mermaid icon in CAS but they are not actually mermaids. They don't need powers or anything, just a fish tail in the bathtub and while swimming would be enough. Also a mermaid crib, like a big sea shell would be nice to have.

But this should come as an update for the mermaids we have in island living, not a separate pack. We are still missing too many occults (werewolves, fairies, real plantsims (pleas, give us a plantsim update!) and genies) before I want an occult to be done twice.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Yes !
    I would be interested if they made it, I just do not think it is likely. Now, I agree that a rework patch would be preferable for both mermaids and aliens with customers, but realistically speaking we cannot expect major reworks. Is it out of the question? No, but when the packs came out we threw our $40, $20, and $10 at them. I am not saying they were worth it at the time and that we should not have expected more, only you as a consumer can answer that, but when you purchase it you do take the content as it was given. As much as I would like to get more on that paid pack's price, I cannot expect to get it either. So either you are willing to pay more or you are not, which is what I assume the OP is asking about.

I also agree mermaids feel a little shoehorned into IL, but they are so tied to swim-able water and what became the story of Sulani that I am not sure they could have been separated. In that sense, I can see why DLC for DLC is difficult to avoid.

A quick note on that, I am neutral to DLC for DLC as a baseline emotion. Can it allow for seemingly shady practices? Yes, but look at what the Sims has already done as a series being sold piece by piece. It really is not all that much different. You have to pick and choose what your money is worth to you. Potential abuses of the system do not in of itself automatically equate to a bad system. Personally, some pack topics I would like to see more content from rather than being one and done and if it is done in a way I like I will pay more for it.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    No !
    Cmon now, let's not have another MFP fiasco with mermaids.

Mermaids do deserve more, I mean sheesh even Aliens have their own world (even though you cant live there) but that's more than what the mermaids got! Maybe if they had gotten their own cove or something IL wouldnt feel like an expensive GP.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    While i do love occults, mermaids are not among my favourites so i wouldn't mind one way or the other.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Yes !
    If it makes them more fun and interesting to play then I would definitely like a mermaids pack.
  • amp107amp107 Posts: 205 Member
    No !
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    As much as I love Island Living, why can't they just add these things to IL itself? Mermaids don't make sense on their own without IL, and having another DLC for DLC pack feels kind of exploitative, like how MFPS was. After all, we paid 20 to 40 dollars for an expansion pack. Shouldn't we get our money's worth?

I know we always say "Oh it's because EA is greedy", but it's gotten so bad that we're conditioned to think that paying more money to expand an expansion pack is acceptable. Instead of just expecting to get $40's worth of content from the start for a pack that costs that much. It's kind of sad

I agree with everything @icmnfrsh said. Any expanding on mermaids should be done in a free update to IL. It doesn't make sense to have to purchase a second pack for things that should have been included in the one we already bought. An underwater world would be cool, but it should just be a part of IL already and not be an add on purchase.

Also, mermaids can already be mermaids wherever they want since our emotionless sims in TS4 don't react anyways to seeing a mermaid tail. Mermaids swim around regular sims all of the time in broad daylight at public beaches and regular sims never even notice. I'd at least expect them to have a shocked reaction like they do when they see a nude time, but nope. Nothing. They never even autonomously ask if you're a mermaid. It's just another stupid, relatively empty, no AI included, feature.

0IzRxZE.jpg
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    No !
    Imho, No, they don't. But they deserve to be upgraded with more features, what already should've been in the IL EP.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I have another idea!
    They're not going to do a mermaid pack because they're not base game. Better to patch in that sort of content.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Yes !
    In the sims 3 we got vampires with late night & lter down the line they improved them a bit with sims supernatural. They could simply do that for mermaids. The Next doesn’t necessarily have to be just about mermaids but it can add more variety to them this time & add more depth to them. But the main focus could be going underwater & doing much more in the ocean. Because For me island living was a disappointment. It’s a beautiful work but there’s not as much to do as I would hope. It just feels empty .
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    Yes !
    I think stuff pack worth of fantasy theme B/B & CAS wouldn't be bad
    I really wanted to have clam beds and other mermaidy furniture & decor and I don't think they'd just update it
    +other occults miss some stuff too that could be included, not to even start with kids occult objects

as for what should be updated though is the water functionality
    but I'd rather they open waters in all worlds first cause that would be more useful for everyone
    and I'd probably play mermaids much more if i had more worlds with open water

and I also feel that if they make gameplay additions it should be update cause well mermaids is already pack content
    + getting pack should not require owning another pack
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    edited July 2020
    Yes !
    I would love that!
    But I don't believe we will get it. I think we are lucky that EA gave us mermaids with Island living. And for being just an "extra" they are pretty well made I think.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
    Yes !
    People can always use CC and mods. DLC for DLC is not a good thing.

But not everyone likes to use mods or cc (I am one of those people ) & why should I have to use CC for something that should be part of the game already.
    Yes !
    crocobaura wrote: »

Sure. If they can add it to IL. DLC for DLC is a shady idea and with how well MFPS went... they really shouldn't attempt that again. ;)

It doesn’t have to be focused on mermaids per say but they can give us a underwater dlc world with more food recipes & new things & with that they can overhaul the mermaids a bit more like they did for vampires in the sims 3.

For instance , wouldn’t it be cool if we can get more collectibles like star fish, sea urchins, sea horses etc & maybe even have us find pearls & gems & introduce a jewelry making system . Or even add more seafood recipes or the ability to harvest & make uni. The possibility’s are endless .

• JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I don't want to pay for them again...
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Yes !
    Yes yes yesssssssssss I love my mermaids to death but they need a skill tree, swimming in all worlds, an underworld lot of their own. They need to be able to "live" in water, eat, sleep, bathroom everything there. They should be able to go underwater and pick plants to eat, stuff to explore, Pearl's to collect, a place to sleep.

I love that they can sleep in the water but I wish they could sleep in an underwater lot also when they want to be privately away from human eyes.
    Why cant kids atleast get a mermaid fin? Like come on. I'd be satisfied with just that for kids. Weird decision.

I'm just throwing this out there but if they ever decide to expand mermaids, please make the boat and aquazip for two sims. I beg you sims team. I never use it because one sim is depressing. 😐
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I really don't have an opinion on Mermaids getting a pack or not.

But this "DLC for DLC is bad" attitude means no serious expansion of cross pack integration between existing packs. No having Spellcasters or Vampires count for the Seasons Spooky Spirit. No having the festivals show up on the calendar. No DLC for DLC means no more cat or dog clothing - ever. No more options for doing laundry. No using the collectables in expansions for potions or other spell ingredients. No expansions to Sixam - Since that came with Get To Work. And no serious development for Mermaids.

And yes, I think the "DLC for DLC is bad" crowd is in part responsible for the lack of in depth cross pack integration for all packs since the blowback from My First Pet Stuff. Because at it's base, it requires all packs to have all features only require the base game - which means a lot of cross pack elements that people want get left on the table.

Oh, sure, I can see where and why people don't like DLC for DLC, and I can understand "they should just update the old pack" But we all know by now that EA is stingy with budget, and unless there's profit in it for EA, most old packs aren't going to get those expansions, or any major updates. Any arguments that EA somehow owes the fanbase falls on deaf ears in accounting. From what I've seen, major updates to the base game are budgeted in. Packs? For the most part, once they're done they're done.

I mean, do you play TTRPGs at all? Ever bought a splat book for an expansion (looking at the original World of Darkness, among others)? I have. Do you do other CG art? Ever bought a texture expansion for an outfit? I have. The only difference, from my point of view, is that the Sims team works for a company and most TTRPG writers and CG artists are freelance, so their sources of compensation are different.
    Yes !
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I would be interested if they made it, I just do not think it is likely. Now, I agree that a rework patch would be preferable for both mermaids and aliens with customers, but realistically speaking we cannot expect major reworks. Is it out of the question? No, but when the packs came out we threw our $40, $20, and $10 at them. I am not saying they were worth it at the time and that we should not have expected more, only you as a consumer can answer that, but when you purchase it you do take the content as it was given. As much as I would like to get more on that paid pack's price, I cannot expect to get it either. So either you are willing to pay more or you are not, which is what I assume the OP is asking about.

I also agree mermaids feel a little shoehorned into IL, but they are so tied to swim-able water and what became the story of Sulani that I am not sure they could have been separated. In that sense, I can see why DLC for DLC is difficult to avoid.

A quick note on that, I am neutral to DLC for DLC as a baseline emotion. Can it allow for seemingly shady practices? Yes, but look at what the Sims has already done as a series being sold piece by piece. It really is not all that much different. You have to pick and choose what your money is worth to you. Potential abuses of the system do not in of itself automatically equate to a bad system. Personally, some pack topics I would like to see more content from rather than being one and done and if it is done in a way I like I will pay more for it.

Hi! :) I agree with all you said! But if the sims 4 is going to live a long time like EA stated a while back (when people thought the sims 4 was ending ) why shouldn’t they as a company want to improve/update their own game ? As an artist I take pride in my work & sometimes I go back & add or edit a few things. Video game design is also a art form & something you should always be creative in.

This is my point exactly. They are tied to water but there’s hardly any places we can go swim? I was expecting eco living to allow us to swim in the ocean/water they had. What other worlds can we swim besides uni & iisnald ? I thought it would also be cool to swim in “dirty water” from eco living for story purposes. If you’re going to short horn mermaids & at least things that they’re tired to when it comes to the next packs that include a new world. But overall swimming underwater would be more ideal & fun then swimming above.

I also agree on this. I understand some people might not want to pay for a add on but what about the people that do? They wouldn’t make dlc if it wouldn’t sell. They have a market for them. If you don’t want it don’t buy it? But if they do do that then I would suggest not adding things that would exclude the ones that bought mermaids from IL. Like If your gonna add a skill tree for them in the next pack at least add that as a free dlc also for IL. So those who don’t want to pay for a dlc at least don’t get short horned anymore for not buying it.
    Yes !
    *If you’re gonna short horn mermaid at least add the” things that they’re tired to for the next expack. If you’re gonna add a city with water make it so they can swim in that water .