Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Almost Eternal - On Hiatus

Comments

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    Chapter 44
    My comment on the second section is not as involved I must admit, most of my thoughts were on the first part so you're not getting two essays from me :D

I don't think it's a terrible idea for Caleb to go ahead for the woodsy adventure with Mel instead. I mean, it is, in the now and immediate, but in the long term, April would have an equally "moderate" reaction on any other night, so it might just be best to get her inevitable meltdown over with - it's not like postponing it would really help that much when he unavoidably spends time with someone else. Whether it comes now or tomorrow probably doesn't make a huge difference. So see that eclipse.

It's interesting that Lilith can see just how disturbed April is and yet decides not to get involved/prod her anyway.
  • SnuffyBucketSnuffyBucket Posts: 569 Member
    @ThePlumbob
    Phew, that was some essay over on the blog. I think I wrote less for my dissertation. :D I think April's reaction was very restrained. For April.

Maybe after 300 years, Lilith has to come up with novel ways to punish Caleb.

@DeafSimmer
    No one knows, least of all Seth. She's probably not important.SETH-MEMORY.png
    Banner-2-with-filters.jpg
    Almost Eternal
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    Chapter 44
    I definitely agree that Caleb should go see the eclipse with Mel. And heck, April doesn't have to be such a whiny little child. She could go with them and she could spend time with both of them. Her relationship with Caleb is doomed if she can't compromise/throws a tantrum when he doesn't do what she wants. Not to mention he has no concept of how to empathize or read people's emotions. It's not like April is hard to read, she basically throws a mini tantrum every time she doesn't get her way. Oh man, I see a huge fight between them on the horizon. It will probably be April throwing a fit and Caleb being completely clueless as to why she is angry. I'll bring the popcorn. :D

All I say is that Mel is the only sane/logical person in this situation. Caleb is socially inept, April is being April, and Lilith is enjoying seeing both Caleb and April being uncomfortable.
    Almost Eternal
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    :D:D:D I'm sure April has other things on her mind. ;)
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Chapter 44
    Wifey time.
    She likes that Caleb’s forming genuine relationships, but she conditioned him in a way that doesn’t help him form genuine relationships? That’s contradictory. She should know that.

I think Lilith is very realistic. She is to me, reflective of the authoritative parenting style she received - all that forced respect and control, which she now inflicts on Caleb. Given how she said in her featured pov chapter that she was going to “change the whole patriachal structure” but instead is actually living it, I'm inclined to think that she might not realise that she adopted her own parents’ harsh parenting and mindset. :joy: So I'm uncertain that even though it's clearly intentional on her side, I wonder if she is aware of the values she portrays and the underlying messages conveyed in her actions. Wouldn't she be disgusted with herself at how similar she is with her own father? (Excluding his predatory ways.)

Given we know she asked Seth to erase something of her memories and that Seth doesn’t actually have a good gauge on how much to erase with what he said of Faith, did Lilith erase the memories she wanted? Or was there an ‘over-erase’? Or did Seth erase something else for his convenience? He’s honest in his words, but he did erase Faith’s memories without her consent. I’m really excited to know whether what happened between he and Lilith will affect all my ponderings here. :D
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    Chapter 44
    I wonder why Seth can’t lie if they ask him a direct question. Is it a “moral code” that he set for himself? Did someone else compel him to be like that? Or is it a natural consequence of his vampiric abilities? Or something else entirely?

At this point I’ll just sound like a broken record if I keep saying how much everything about Seth and what he’s doing to Faith disturbs me, so I’ll spare you that rant. :sweat_smile:

I’m beginning to like Caleb’s new hair more and more! Hopefully Faith can do the same for Lilith soon. :mrgreen:

That was mean, April. Trying to claim Caleb for yourself and deliberately not including Melinda, so Caleb has to choose between you and her. That’s very unfair on both of them. At least Melinda has the grace to compromise and even try to steer Caleb back to her, though she’s once again giving up her own happiness in order to give April what she wants. Oooof, that death stare that she gave Melinda, too. I wonder at what point April will throw a total tantrum over not wanting to share her boyfriend with anyone… and how everyone else will react.

Lilith wasn’t exactly nice here either, oof. Though maybe she can take April aside and try to reason with her and explain that you can’t just claim people and… yeah no. That would go over just swimmingly on both sides, wouldn’t it? :sweat_smile:

J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    @mercuryfoam
    Oh, she knows what she's doing. When she says that she's happy that he's forming 'genuine relationships', she very much means 'ones that she approves of' with people who won't undo all her hard work.
    Wouldn't she be disgusted with herself at how similar she is with her own father?
    She would say that she's nothing like him, nothing like any of the other vampires, beyond vampire. Which should give you an idea of how deeply she is buried in her own poop, how poor she is at self-reflection, how numb she is. But you're totally right. Her methods are different to her father's (and have varied over the years, I'll just add that in here) but her outcome is similar: she has 'parented' a child who has grown up in fear and isolation, to be nothing but a shell. Lilith suffered for 16 years at the hands of Silas; Caleb's had 300 years of Lilith's experimentation to make him 'safe'. Her mission is the same as it ever was, but her reasons behind it have become lost, somehow.

The further back Seth has to go to 'rewind' the less reliable it becomes. Brains are extremely complicated, non-linear things and no two are alike. Let's leave that there.
    Almost Eternal
    @_sims_Yimi
    Not being able to lie is not something Seth wanted, I can say that. Feel free to be a broken record; I always enjoy you guys ranting about my characters and he is hardly redeeming himself.

I also really like Caleb's new hair. I can take pictures of both sides of his extremely pale (and often sad) face now.

April was never one for sharing and she knows that Melinda yields. Fun fact! During my time taking screenshots for that scene, April had 2 meltdowns and autonomously slapped Caleb nine times just for talking to Melinda. The girl has some major jealousy issues.

No, Lilith was not nice. And it may have gone over the heads of two of the room's occupants, but probably not the third... Ooh boy. A heart-to-heart with April and Lilith? Both claiming 'ownership' of Caleb? You really do like fire, don't you? ;)
    Almost Eternal

Are they really looking at the moon?

Chapter 45 - Not All Roses

Almost Eternal
    Yay! :mrgreen:

Chapter 45
    But it was difficult to feel genuinely guilty knowing that her brother would be willingly spending his evening being stimulated by a woman’s mind rather than her body.
    Willingly being the keyword here. It’s less "voluntary" if you’re actively manipulating him in that direction, love. Though I understand her logic. Props to her for actually going to find Faith. I’m very curious who that woman is, and why it’s so hard for Seth to remember her. Did he have amnesia? Did someone make him forget? Lilith said that she used to have other abilities, and the two have history. Did Lilith make Seth forget? If so, was it involuntary, or did he ask her to? The pile of questions just keeps getting bigger and bigger. xD
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    Ch 45
    I've finished picking up the pieces of my heart to comment on your thread lol.
    In one of my earlier comments, I worried that Caleb and April would be able to lift each other up or bring themselves down. Now, knowing that Caleb indeed has gone through the same 'oppression' as April and should've developed the same mindset as April that would've critically allowed him to relate to her better, BUT that Caleb was turned as a baby and thus lacks empathy, I'm dreading the poopstorm of their relationship. Caleb has no means to use his own valuable experiences to empathise with April, let alone support her. Neither can she to him. This couple is the blind leading the blind. Completely dependant/affected by outside forces, which we know at this moment almost everyone is looking out for themselves and won't have each other's interest at heart. Gah. :heartbreak::bawling:
    After some deliberation, I'm here to place more bets.
    I bet Lilith did not go out after Faith, and that Faith wasn't who Lilith was referring to when she spoke of someone who needed "saving from themselves." If it was Faith that she was adamant on stopping, Lilith would have done so in the house already.

I don't know what I'm betting, mind :D I don't have much at my disposal aside from a bunch of depressed sims :D
    @ThePlumbob
    If not Faith, then who's your money on? I'll take your depressed sims; I'm sure I can cheer them up.
    Almost Eternal
    Haha yeah right, I'm sure you'd cheer them up - because everyone in AE is just bursting with glee :D

I think she was refereing to Seth, although I also think Lilith has her own interpretation of what saving someone from themselves means :D I'd even hazard to guess that Lilith may know a thing or two about mystery flashback lady.

Ok, that's about all the theories I have for now.
    @_sims_Yimi
    Oh no, the pile of questions is getting bigger? We're nearly at the end of part one! I should be answering everything by now... oops...

@mercuryfoam
    At the start, you guys were all rooting for AC to be a trainwreck. I wonder if I listened...

@ThePlumbob
    They are! It's all sunshine, it's just in disguise. Interesting that you think that Lilith cares enough about Seth to want to save him.
    Almost Eternal
    Hmm I'm not sure I'd say caring is the motivation here, exactly.

Into the flood again.

Chapter 46 - Walking Disaster
    Almost Eternal
    Almost Eternal
    Chapter 47
    Aw man, Faith has totally fallen for him, hasn’t she? Even with the disturbing comments about actually bringing her a body part for a gift. Is she just choosing to ignore that?

So that’s what really happened with Caleb and Marjorie. And Lilith covered it up. My gods, April and Caleb as they are now are absolute poison to each other. Her developing even more powerful mental abilities is just icing on the cake. I like how Caleb instinctively turns to Lilith to help him, but it’s the reaction of a child instead of trying to talk things through, or attempting to explain. He’s hoping Lilith will make the problem go away, since he doesn’t know how to fix himself.

I honestly wonder what it is that April loves. Melinda and Faith have learned more about Caleb in their few short conversations with him and Lilith than April seems to have learned since the beginning. And whenever they do talk, everything I hear in her words and thoughts is directed towards herself – what he should do with her, how he would act towards her, that she wants him to act X way, that she’s not good enough, that he’s cheating on her - even when she looked for his interests in his room, it was for the purpose of mimicking them so she could keep him with her. She seems to love the idea of “Caleb as my boyfriend” and stops there. I wonder. if she could mesmerize Caleb to act exactly as she wanted (like Sandy did with Davis by brow-beating him into submission), would she?
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    edited October 2020
    I don’t think Lilith will be able to ‘fix’ the situation like she always did since April has the same kind of powers Lilith has. This time, Caleb will truly have to live with and face the consequences of his actions. Not that he didn’t before, but now that they’re all living under one roof, he’ll be able to see just how dire it is.

I don’t know if he can live with that. He’s already suicidal and guilty. And April is not going to go anywhere nor does she have anyone to process what happened with. If she does, they're going to end up hating Caleb, and I don't know if she'd want that.
    edited October 2020
    It's all over for someone.

Chapter 48 - Self-Destruct
    Almost Eternal