Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Almost Eternal - Updated February 3rd

Comments

• SnuffyBucketSnuffyBucket Posts: 569 Member
    @Snowbnuuy
    Ugh, Will
    sums him up perfectly. I see by your assumption that Faith’s power will be terrifying, you are already being conditioned to expect the worst. 😉

No, Faith doesn’t know the history, Lilith won’t tell them and Caleb’s not so great at explaining, so in her mind Lilith is a control freak without good reason. Of course, we know that Caleb’s short leash was a result of a number of mishaps and tragedies.

I know what you mean and the ‘mother’ role is what immediately came to mind when I saw the Vatores. Siblings living together forever is quite strange to me, so I imagined one of them must be ‘looking after’ the other, or one was a mooch. And as they’re vampires, and probably quite old, rigid gender roles likely factored in to that, in my head. Plus, if I gave Caleb any chance he was running around in the sun, flirting with humans and flaunting his vampirism, so he clearly needed some guidance on how to avoid being staked.

Caleb may want to change and Lilith may not be right, but each have a lot of habits to break. Maybe three shiny, new faces will help to free them from their cycles; it’s already made Caleb want to cut his hair. I like his new hair. It wasn’t easy finding a cut that worked with that big, weird head of his, but Faith is a talented stylist.

Aw, that little bedroom scene was one of my favourites in book one. My heart breaks every time I write for April because even though she’s free, she isn’t free at all. I was trying to think what Caleb would offer as response to his upset love and ultimately decided that, with his limitations, he would likely confirm his understanding and simply state his position. Which, as you say, is quite powerful in its own right.

I’m glad you like the news stories because you have more to endure! Ah, life/death is never black and white, is it?

Not a Seth fan, I see. Yes, April should have gone to watch the eclipse but whatever makes you think something bad will happen? 😇 Yes, April lacks her own identity and is all those things you identify. Perhaps this night will give her that validation she seeks…
    Banner-2-with-filters.jpg
    Almost Eternal
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    edited July 2021
    Finished Book One.
    You will probably laugh at how quickly my opinions on people change throughout this text wall.

“You said anything. Don’t you want to make me happy?” She shouldn’t be pushy about that sort of thing. As for what happens to April...no-one deserves that. if my interpretations of what happened in 1.47 are correct, then April needs to get away from him and probably the other girls do as well. ‘I feel bad’ doesn’t describe how I feel about April right now. I know I said her attitudes have been manipulative and I said about how she shouldn’t have said this and that, but she doesn’t deserve what was done to her. No-one does. The trouble is a mind like April’s will probably still cling on to him because in her head she thinks she ‘needs him’ I think. She’s hardwired to be okay with being treated less than human due to a lifetime of manipulation and it’s heartbreaking. She doesn’t realise she deserves to be treated with respect because Sandy has drilled otherwise into her head. And the way she iust says ‘that’s okay’ as if her mind is just frozen by shock...it’s horrible. I don’t feel a sliver of sympathy for him now. I don’t feel pity for people who do that sort of thing, I feel for their victims, and the way victims’ lives can be destroyed by such an atrocious act.

I feel like Faith will probably want to kill Caleb when or if she finds out. Melinda will likely want to do whatever she can to help April, but I feel like she’ll do it in an unhealthy way and give herself some kind of ‘secondary’ trauma. Since everything is so unhealthy amongst them, Mel has no ‘healthy space’ to process this happening to her friend, and so I think that will affect her badly.

Thankfully the Sandy Moss Dead headlines in the news chapter made me laugh. I love this little running gag. Will went out horribly, but also he was so slimy towards practically everyone I honestly probably won’t miss him. I see the even darker side of Lilith is coming out now. I am really excited to see her dark form TBH .

The weird thing about Seth, although I don’t trust him and think he’s awful, the one weird thing that sets him apart from Lilith is that he admits to being a monster. Lil isn’t perfect either but seems unwilling to admit it a lot of the time.

So after Lil being set up as the ‘control freak’ character, we learn that Caleb has seemingly done something to bind April to him, which is awful. April has gone from being controlled to being controlled. I really hope she can find a way out of all of this. ‘LESS ATTRACTIVE GIRLS ALSO MISSING’ might be funny at first, but less funny when you realise that’s probably genuinely how the media feels, milking the sensation of a missing celeb for all it’s worth and not caring for Mel or Faith.

Fair play to Chuck for going out and actively looking for them, but he definitely won’t be safe out there. Woah, Faith, in the woods? How brave (and cold and...SPIDERS AND TWIGS AND- nope, don’t know how folks can do that). Laughing aside, I still think Seth is trouble. Surprise, bnuuy doesn’t trust any of the old vampires XD Okay so Lil’s dark form is amazingly terrifying. Especially how dark the eyes are. Screenshot editing is tedious but fun.

Fair play to Melinda for calling out Caleb on his attitudes. I feel like they would not be so defensive if they knew the whole story. Seth plus Will’s bravado, not a good combo X_X Banana sausage surprise is worse than that one episode of Come Dine with Me with the sausages in the strawberry trifle. I KNEW Seth would find Chuck...
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
    @Snowbnuuy
    I am very used to seeing people’s opinions of my lot swing about madly over these last chapters of book one, but it is fun seeing it all in one wall! I’m not trying to make you feel a particular way about anyone, and don’t mind at all if my characters are disliked, so however you read them is fine.

Ah yes, that event. It seems like your interpretation of the events are correct, but for obvious reasons, I can't really say what that is here... It had to come at one point - owing to the method by which he turned her which compelled them to it - but even without that, it was never going to be the sweet, gentle thing everyone hoped for, unfortunately. When Caleb loses control, he loses it completely and as you say, April is generally not OK and not equipped to do anything other than ‘take it’. It really is tragic. The meaning of the bind - and what exactly that entails - is discussed more in book two.

As Seth said, the only difference between him and Lilith is that he embraces being a monster.

So often in the media I see the ‘missing pretty blonde’ phenomenon, so I thought I’d replicate that here, because adding humour to things in the world that make me want to smash things is a coping strategy of mine.

Not trusting anyone is a great place to be! Each layer of the onion that is peeled may make you change your mind entirely about a character, so floating in the aether is a much safer bet than picking a side. Lilith’s dark form; I wish I had such screenshot editing skills as you, but the extent of my skill is pixel manipulation in Paint.

They’ll know the full story one day, I’m sure. And OMG, sausage trifle sounds like a dish Babs would make. I’ve not seen that episode of Come Dine With Me and really want to look it up… but also really don’t.

Thanks for reading! This is a good place to jump ship if you wish to, otherwise I’ll see you in book two. 😁
    Almost Eternal
    @SnuffyBucket
    No worries, I plan to stick around until I finish it all if I can < 3 I feel you on the humour thing; I'm the same, making things funny because it makes me want to rage about it less. And thank you I'm glad you like my screenshot edits, but there's nothing wrong with MS Paint at all! It does the job and that's what I used all the time when I started out doing pixel art (haven't done any for years). Yeah don't look it up, it was the most vile thing I have ever seen. I'd rather eat a plasma pack from this story than a bloody strawberry and sausage trifle!

Ramble time, up to 2.06.
    'SANDY MOSS LIVES (IN OUR HEARTS)' Alien toddler invasion in Strangerville? It sounds like a front cover of the Star. I love Reb Porter as a pun name. I laughed so much when Fred interrupted the live report. Typical : P And the woman on TV being sick of it all but not realising she's on air... I'm laughing out loud XD April's impression of Faith is hilarious.

“Another way to clip your wings.” Once faith knows the truth, maybe she'll realise some birds of prey might actually need their wings clipped after all. The images of Seth's eyes glowing through his mind-digging power thing is creepy as ever X_X Well it's not often someone leaves Seth lost for words, Lil must have hit a nerve. So now it's Mel who's having to take responsibility for Caleb's error in stealing the alcohol. Mel's strong sense of righteousness even when it comes down to shoplifting is honestly quite heartwarming amongst everyone else's warped morals. This is what I noticed about Seth, what's mentioned in 2.03. He can't lie, but he can certainly twist words and beat around the bush, making dark jokes to avoid the questions. The more I see April and Caleb together the more I want to see them get very far away from each other. It's very, very hard to want to live for yourself when your entire life, you've only been valued for your subservience and willingness to take what you don't deserve, but I hope April gets there someday.

Admitting you can't lie, Seth? Not good for Seth but great for Faith! I'm glad Faith stands her ground with him. In time I'd be surprised if she weren't as powerful as Seth is, or at least able to take him on. '“Why didn’t you stop me?” Caleb shouted. “You were supposed to bloody stop me!”' And hy does April have to take accountability for you? Faith makes a good point when she says she knows her limits, unlike Caleb and Seth do. 'April scoffed, “I know how to count three minutes, thank you very much! Don’t blame me because you can’t control yourself. And don’t shout at me; it upsets me.”' You know how happy this made me to see her stand up to someone else like this? Go April! It's a start. You are not responsible for other people's wrongdoings and you don't deserve to be wrongly treated.

NO CHUCK! Don't eat that X_X

they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy
    I still do pixel art. I am a relic.
    I don't know why I put that under a spoiler, or this

Response to rambles
    Darn it, you're making me want to read the Star. I can feel my brain cells withering at the mere thought.
    maybe she'll realise some birds of prey might actually need their wings clipped after all
    That sounds like a very Lilith thing to say and yep, there are ways around lying, especially if it's not in response to a direct question or if you can predict what the other might say. Faith is throwing him, but as for overpowering him? We'll see.

Yeah! The girls are standing some ground. Although April's sudden frankness might be more to do with someone else's input. But no, she doesn't deserve to be mistreated.

Will Chuck eat it? Would you rather a sausage trifle now?
    Almost Eternal
    edited July 2021
    Up to 2.18.

Gone are the days when people had normal names like Broof’ XD The surnames are brilliant. Wangshaft, Widdlefinkle, BarGuy...I laughed out loud at the ‘party’ description of the menstrual cycle. Sure does make it seem a lot nicer put that way XD Surprised how well Jess listens, remembering all that info. I thought she was just going to forget and go on another totally off tangent ramble XD Oh God Chuck did cook the liver XC Noo Lil, not Chuck ;-; Oh goodness...

about the binding, but it’ll be no good if April is getting worse with the ‘equilibrium’. The scene where we see the more serious darker side of Seth was an interesting one, outside of his usual darkly ‘playful’ self. Both of them have done barbaric things to others; who is Caleb to tell Seth he ‘shouldn’t do this’? Plenty of things Caleb shouldn’t have done either.

I’m guessing the original scientist who discovered the properties of plasma fruit may have been killed by vampires who wanted to ‘preserve the old ways’ or something, maybe thinking the fruits would make vampires ‘go soft’ or something.

Poor Chuck has no idea what he’s gotten himself into. Yesss I knew Faith would want to kick Caleb’s behind if he does anything more to hurt her, emotionally or otherwise. April is starting to see Caleb for who he really is and I notice in Book Two she is finally seeing the truth about others and telling people the truth about how she feels more often. She’s speaking out and telling people it’s not okay to treat her like garbage and I am really liking this development. Even if she’s not fully there yet she’s making progress. Is this anything to do with the ‘equilibrium’ I wonder?

Wooooah Mel of all people is showing her dark form again here ;-; Ohh and now Seth has met the other girls other than Faith as well...

I can’t imagine how Chuck feels hearing that voicemail. Glad to hear his daughter’s voice, but also downtrodden to think she might be in trouble and/or can’t come home. I love Turkle < 3 And there we go, Mel knows what Seth did to her dad...Conspiracy theorist guys might be on to something when they say Sandy is not really dead. Woah, so they can read Lil’s thoughts? Maybe she’s the one who needs the tinfoil hat as well to stop them : p

And once again Lil has been dragged into the mess that rose from Caleb’s actions. Just zooming in on that entirely fake ‘everything is fine! (NOT)’ smile. Then I scrolled down and legitimately was like OHHH GOODNESS that last one scared me but I love it! The creepy dark form shot at the end is great. ‘the desire to smash the world to pieces was back at a manageable level.’ - what a relatable mood XD Squishelda, I love the names in this so much.

Caleb... One minute it's 'do I care about April? I should do better' and 'I owe you better April' and the next minute he's snogging the face off some randomer like 'yeah whatever she'll never find out.' Literally he will never learn. It'll be worrying and interesting seeing how the Vatore siblings develop without each other. Caleb doesn't have Lilith to tell him when he's done wrong now, and April's told him straight she's not responsible for his actions. Lilith on the other hand is now (mostly) free of having to clear up after Caleb's mess, but that doesn't mean she can't make a mess of her own. I had no idea what 'empty nest syndome' is until this chapter and I guess yeah, even if Lil did not entirely get along with Caleb I think deep down, there's still the 'he's my brother' thing subconsciously for her.

I feel like Mel is the only one talking sense sometimes. She's the only one who doesn't want to take prisoners to feed off of, it seems. I really hope someone discovers this plasma fruit soon X_X The reason Seth likes cats is exactly why I think he'd like cats; they're untamed spirits that answer to no-one. Oh, human memories? Seeing him lovingly snuggle a cat is very jarring, I wonder how different he was back then to now. I actually imagine him once being quite gentle, maybe even loving, before he became a vampire. Seeing him be cute with cats in the present though doesn't change my mind about him thouh. The vampire who turned him is cool, but creepy. I wonder why those memories specifically were buried, memories of a cat of all things? Wondering if both those cats are the same cat, or if they are just coincidentally the same breed. I know in some vampire lore they can shapeshift into wolves and bats. I wonder if this vampire can shapeshift into the cat as something different? Her eyes are similar in the screenshots, green and catlike, and light hair. Now wondering if the cat 'Robert' is a shifted vampire.
    they/them or she/her
    edited July 2021
    @Snowbnuuy
    Part of the joy of Sims for me is coming up with rude and ridiculous sounding names. I considered using normal ones when I started writing, but that got dull fast. All the first names have some sort of meaning, or purpose. Yes, even Broof.

Darkly playful is a great term. Ooh, you echo Seth’s thoughts exactly. Always fun when you find you have something in common with a serial killer isn’t it?

It’s noted that the fruit had the potential to cure vampirism. If you see it as disease, rather than a blessing, which maybe not everyone did.

Everything Caleb and April do from now will something to do with the equilibrium, yes. It could be a positive thing. It really could. It probably won’t, but it could.

Oof yeah, having someone around for so long and then losing them is going to have an effect whether you loved them or wanted to rip their head, I imagine.
    I feel like Mel is the only one talking sense sometimes.
    That’s because she is.
    I wonder how different he was back then to now. I actually imagine him once being quite gentle, maybe even loving, before he became a vampire.
    You won’t be wondering much longer, especially not at this reading rate! 😉
    Almost Eternal
    In response to your reply:
    Ohhh yeah of course the plasma fruit can cure vampirism, I forgot about that bit XC I'm a melt. Haha to me Mel is definitely the only one talking sense and the one who has most of her humanity left at the moment. Even if I'm VERY sure in my outlook on something, I speak tentatively because I have a habit of forgetting or mis-reading scenes or lines. Although I guess any work is up to interpretation, but you get what I mean.
    More ramble! Up to 1.25.
    The Wangshaft house looks pretty in pink! I want to laugh at Will’s wife’s reaction and what she says, but I feel kinda bad since she seems to have no idea her husband is dead. (Then again what's better in her eyes I wonder- a cheating snake of a husband, or a dead one?) I like how Beth comes across as the black sheep of the rich and proper Wangshaft family. Looks like an awkward way to escape holding on to Caleb. I doubt any if the three girls will ever know anything of a stable home/base again.

What a thing to leave behind, the sketchbook- with all their faces in. And not only that, but a window to Mel’s soul left behind too and a part of her ;-; I know in a panicked rush it isn’t the first thing you’d take but you know what I mean. Faith’s darker side is coming across really nice...in the good writing sense. Very gradual. Bad in the sense that her cracking jokes and nonchalant talk of killing people is more noticeable now I think, probably since even Caleb seems to look at her like ‘you WHAT mate?’. Seth is rubbing off on her it seems. He’s probably been a terrible influence on a lot of people over the many years of his life.

Honestly I love the way you write Joy, she feels like an actual believable kid (if that makes sense). I’m really liking how we get to see how all the parents feel as well since a lot of stories like this often don’t really involve the parents at all. It’s sad that Adina feels like Faith is just another one that walked out on her. It’s awful what Adina has been through- and on top of that, losing her job as well. The comparison between April’s (previously) fancy posh family life and Faith’s ‘everyday person trying to get by’ family life really shows. I was wondering what ‘surprises’ there would be in the cookies. A punny surprise as well. XC

For someone like Mel who is so caring about others, it no doubt is crushing her with guilt that her survival will involve having to drink the blood of others when the plasma packs aren't available. I kinda relate to Mel, in a way, feeling as if everyone else is cold and careless, and feeling like I'M the weirdo for giving a darn about other people. Even April eyes up Faith sus-ly when she just talks about kidnapping twenty people and leaving them drained like it’s no big deal. So wholesome Chuck brought out a bit of a lighter fun side in Lilith. 'You forget who has the power here' sounds like Seth talking, not Faith X_X I'm really liking this dark turn from a story perspective though. Sometimes it's fun to see characters go down the ol' slippery slope.

'Charlie Warlie Soft Face' made me laugh so much. Chuck is a rare 'comfort character' in this story, his effect on others is overall positive and he gets people out of their shell and makes them feel safe. Bless him. So Seth finally lied. Good news for him maybe, bad for everyone else. So cat eye lady is popping up in his head every time he lies. And here we are, we manage to see someone who can actually frighten someone as seemingly untouchable (in his mind) as Seth. Now I'm wondering if this was anyone that he knew, since he's unsure if it's a buried memory or something else, as if someone's putting this image in his head. Hmm...The one who on the surface tries to maintain control is losing his grip. So it was mentioned about Lilith burying his memories wasn't it? I'm wondering if this is 'punishment' for lying, seeing the demonic lady. Omg the duck joke XD

Poor Lorna, 24/7 news broadcaster and no sleep allowed. I laughed at her thing with the clock on the screen : P Even forgetting Mel and Faith's names. Someone cover this woman and let her have a night's sleep! Oh my goodness, the way Chuck brings Lil home is really going to make Babs paranoid.

I really like the sort of 'power switch' between Seth and Faith here. Wow, she's even got him kneeling on the floor and begging for forgiveness. See, now he can lie I'm wondering if it's all performative, but I think the shock of all these memories makes me think it's not. The manipulative vampire being one-upped and manipulated himself. An interesting development, but I feel like Faith is going to get super called out by Melinda if this power trip keeps up.

Ohh, so Wyatt is a spellcaster? So now we have a new occult on the scene in the story! Gosh, poor Broof. No-one will ever believe him, even though his name is cleared, because of the media's wild theory. Of course, the media cares about money and sensation, not truth and people. And of course, Broof probably feels like he's failed. He was meant to be looking after her, and she went off... Wait- so Broof is actually a spellcaster? Did I miss that or is this a new reveal? Either way I am excited! I wonder how prevalent spellcasters are in this world, and the breadth of their overall power as well. Also their history. Wonder if vampires and spellcasters ever had issues with each other, or if you can be both at once or not. So many questions : 3
    they/them or she/her
    @Snowbnuuy
    It’s that age old questions that spouses have been asking for generations: “what's better - a cheating snake of a husband or a dead one?” Ooh so you think Beth is the black sheep? Interesting. It was an awkward escape, but still faster than on foot for the girls, especially as they’d be trying to exert energy in the sun. That’s a dangerous path…

I’m glad you like my depiction of Faith’s descent, Joy’s kiddiness and that the parents are present. I wanted to show the life the girls left behind, because Faith thinks she had a terrible life, and OK it wasn’t an easy one, but maybe the grass isn’t greener where she’s gone.

Aw, lovely Chuck. Like a big ol’ teddy bear that my cast can call on when things are really bad. Yes, Seth’s mentioned a couple of times that Lilith buried something. But was it cat lady? What is cat lady? And now he’s on his knees before a fledgling that he’s corrupting, confused and addled. Will she be kind?

WITCHES!!! Or spellcasters. They’re witches in my universe as not all witches can/do cast spells (ooh bonus lore for you.) Broof is also a witch, yes. You didn’t miss anything obvious; he had to keep it carefully under wraps in the heavily publicised job role he occupied. Their prevalence and power, as well as their history with the vamps will all be explored. 😁
    Almost Eternal
    edited July 2021

Barely made my update this week. Kept getting preoccupied with next week's chapter which involves... a lot. Unlike this one which is boring in comparison. But it's not next week, it's this week, so here's this week's chapter, not next's.

AX6htOy.jpg

Almost Eternal
    Up to 2.32.
    Ohhh gosh I hope April isn’t pregnant. Not by Caleb, please Watcher ;-; I love the sequence shots of Wyatt just knocking down Broof like it’s nothing. The ‘you could be saving lives with herbalism skills...’ bit made me laugh. Ohhh that heartbreaker ending to that chapter... ;-; ‘witch child who can turn into a cat’ Hmm so maybe it’s not the vampire who can turn into a cat...I laughed at the cocoa powder eating thing...maybe not eating it out of the tub, way too bitter XC Somehow I recognised Yimi’s simself in there. I love how every character, no matter now minor or major a part they have in the story, has their own little quirks and personality.

Curried porridge...I dread to wonder what’s in Babs’ cookbook collection XC I love those wooden leaves on the wall in Sage’s shop. Love that reference to the old Sims games job applications. Oh my gosh the name of the fast food place is not appetising at all. Hate to think what the secret ingredient is XC Ooh so how does Caleb know Sage I wonder? Maybe it’s the same way he ‘gets to know’ most women... I knew it! I knew April was pregnant. And by a guy that has done atrocious things to her as well...I love Wyatt’s dialogue and it’s fun seeing the lives of the spellcasters.

This line was actually pretty powerful and really got me: ‘What use is guilt other than a slow way to dissolve the one who carries it?’ Seth is kinda right, to be honest. Guilt doesn’t really change anything. I mean in a way it’s good to feel remorse because it means you know you did wrong, but you can’t change what’s already been done. All you can do is work on positive change- but in Mel’s case, She can only resist thirst for so long before having to drink the blood of an innocent person. The ‘power game’ between Seth and Faith seems never-ending, both of them thinking that they have the upper hand. So Faith has been wondering what her power is, and it’s actually that she can use others’ power against them? That seems pretty handy, maybe scary at times...Still it looks like the balance of power has shifted back, and Seth has managed to slimily manipulate his way around everything once more. Seems the only thing he is genuinely unsettled by is the demonic cat lady. Seth’s first-person POV is horribly eerie. It feels like I’m watching one of those ‘interviewing serial killers’ things. X_X

I love how Wyatt doesn't see the mess of his room and Broof is just like 'what is this?' Seeing his daughter in the flashback... I'm betting she was killed for some reason or another. “What’s the point in cleaning? It only gets dirty again,” - wise words! Shame I don't have a friend like Broof who would clean my place for me : P Woah so April might be Wyatt's daughter? I think Broof is right though, the smell of a nice cleaner is probably much nicer than the Scruberoo spell. Wyatt I will buy you a whole pack of cookies if you burn Caleb to a crisp for me. Cheers bro < 3
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy
    That would be a disaster. Is the watcher that cruel? Heh, yeah Wyatt is a talented witch, but completely misuses his skills. Tut tut. Everything the GliTS say should be taken with a pinch of salt. I threw an equal amount of fact and fiction into that conversation there. Yay for cameos! These three are such a hoot to write for, even though I have taken some liberties with their personalities. Yep, every named character in AE gets profiled because I am that sad.

Babs may one day get around to releasing her cookbook, filled with delicious meals you can serve at dinner parties if you want to be friendless. I have worked at the real-life version of that fast food chain, which was mostly operated by unsupervised teenagers: “Thanks for yelling insults at me, telling me and my colleagues that we must all be dumb and that’s why we have to work here, all because you were 40 minutes late to have the breakfast menu. We really appreciate this feedback as we approach the twelfth hour of our overnight shifts which we have worked at minimum wage with a single break. Enjoy your burger. It’s on the house…”.

Seth’s head is a scary place, writing from it was an experience. Seth and Faith were inspired by a real-life criminal duo where power games was the driver for what they did, and my research for that did involve watching one of those types of shows that you mention. The mind of a killer, the justification they make and, worse, the lack of justification they feel they need sometimes is scary as all heck. Can’t have all the bloodsuckers be good, can I? 😉
    “Wyatt I will buy you a whole pack of cookies if you burn Caleb to a crisp for me. Cheers bro < 3”
    rEDpz31.jpg
    Almost Eternal
    edited July 2021
    Up to 2.36.
    April would be safer and happier with Mel, IMO. Mel wouldn’t hurt her. She would help April heal, but I feel like maybe Mel would not look after herself, too busy looking after April and then neglecting her own feelings and only hurting herself in the process. NGL I kinda shipped the two of them from the beginning. The scene just before April turned Mel, I think? - I remember there being some vibes to that chapter that made me see them as more than just friends deep down. To see her close with someone who I think would do her good, it’s adorable TBH.

The more I read Mel’s POV the more I relate to her. Often the voice of reason, compassionate and caring but feels alienated in a world full of careless, selfish people. Helping other people to see that they are being mistreated and deserve better. Has a lot to say but is often not listened to, or is outspoken by her louder and more charismatic friend. Also when April says she’s the only one ‘not going insane’, the fact that Mel seems to have a convincing ‘front’ is also super relatable. Oof, and then Caleb walks in. Please Mel just be like ‘By the way, April is better off with me because I’m not a control freak or an abuser. Bye!’ ‘But I want you to myself’ Caleb you sound like a spoilt child, go sit in the corner and let April do what she wants for a change. I see Babs is still very sus of Lilith but I honestly do not blame her. Chuck is a good hearted man and as (I think) I said previously, good hearts get chewed apart pretty easily especially in a story world like AE's. Although towards the end when Chuck said nothing to Lil getting booted out, part of me felt like he seemed slightly afraid of his own wife? But IDK.

Oh, I wonder who the black haired witch is in Lilith's memory there. I'm guessing Sage. Wowie, Faith's emotions flick one from thing to the next in this chapter. Crying one minute then fine the next, then mad, then in Seth's arms again. I agree with Yimi in that there was no proper apology, and the way he words it like it's her who has to do all the 'work' whilst he can carry on doing whatever the heck he wants. Seth's whole attitude in this chapter reminds me of those egotistical men who refuse to change for the better, and spend their whole lives manipulating girls who criticise or yell at him into thinking they're the problem instead of him. The whole 'I'm not going to give up on you...' honestly sounded so desperate, like Faith has slightly managed to have the upper hand again there a little bit. I find it funny how he hates Caleb for the way he is, when the two of them are atrocious control freaks who have done absolutely terrible and unforgivable things to other people. Then again, Seth of all people wouldn't see the hypocrisy of that.
    they/them or she/her
    @Snowbnuuy
    Ah, safety is a difficult thing, especially when your survival relies on taking from others. Melinda would certainly care on a deeper level for April and her emotional needs than Caleb can, but where would they go? How would they survive? They would be very much out there alone and like you say, who would look after Mel? She is mature, but she is only 18. The grass may not be greener… or it might be! Let's not poo on the pancakes just yet.

I’m so glad you’ve shipped them since the beginning! One of the things I would do differently if I were to ever re-write would be to make the bond between those two a little more obvious right from the start. But hey, we’re getting there. 😁

Finding you relate to Mel is no bad thing. Better than finding you are kindred spirits with Faith, I suppose. Where are you up to… 2.36 OK, so you get a little more about Chuck and Babs and their dynamic next chapter, so I'll skip that.

Faith flips like that in game too, it's accurate. The girl is a live wire. 😕 You’ve pretty much got Seth in a few sentences there; egotistical, manipulative and desperate. Of course, how much he realises all of this is debateable.
    Almost Eternal
    Up to 2.40.
    Even cheery Chuck is raising his voice. I’m not surprised to be fair, he can only keep intense worry and stress buried for so long. Chuck is desperate to find out what she knew but Babs apparently deleted the messages, hmm... Chuck at one point was the rare hopeful personality character in this story but the world is slowly chipping away at him, poor man. I'd make him a cup of tea if I could.

The memory of his was terrifying ;-; A man grounded in science and logic meeting a figure of the supernatural...Everything he thinks he knows of the world has been turned on its head and thrown out on its backside. It’s good he now knows the truth, even if it knocked him out. The cave lights are pretty, and Faith is right, her ‘forever’ musing made her sound a bit like April. Can’t help but feel like April is slowly getting her way out of her toxic situation, whilst Faith appears to be taking April's place of being wound around the little finger of an awful guy. Although I guess the power balance between those two is forever changing.

Ohh goodness did Wyatt’s brother die from overpowering himself with magic? I did laugh at ‘TAT AVAILABLE NOW!’ Trust there to be merch for a dead star’s funeral, but you know everyone would buy it up like it's nothing. So what Seth did to Lilith seems similar to the way Faith sees Seth now, caught up in his ‘charm’ because she thinks he is someone who ‘understands her’. “Why is it that the more you get of something, the more you want?” This is really true. I love the GliTs’ Justice for Jess board on the news.

I honestly love Wyatt’s energy, he's like Chuck in that he stands out personality wise from the vampire crowd nicely. I feel like his bubbly personality won't last forever, though. The high up shot of the entire shop is so pretty < 3 ohh gosh Wyatt what did you put in that tea? : p Not sure Caleb in a crowd of people is such a good idea, not unless they love having almost all of their blood drained X_X
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy
    Chuck would appreciate a cup of tea. Babs makes it with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a dash of rice vinegar, but milk and two sugars is fine.
    Everything he thinks he knows of the world has been turned on its head and thrown out on its backside.
    Reminds me of a song.
    🎵Every face, even the one you saw yesterday, it looks different today, 'cause everything's changed since yesterday, in every possible way.
    Things seem different today. Not like yesterday
    🎵

Wyatt's brother did overcharge, yes. According to Lilith, Seth pulled this stunt before. But hey, why change a centuries old method when it yields such consistent results! Except for the whole mind-borking incident, but I'm sure that was nothing.

Chuck and Wyatt are also alike in that they are both having tea! The similarities never end. You wouldn't wanna party with Caleb? He'd be sad, but he's too busy hunting elk.

Almost Eternal
    edited July 2021
    Up to 2.44. (A whopping...four chapters. -.- I wish I had time to binge.)
    Claudia looks cool < 3 April and Mel are honestly so cute together tbh. Agree with Yimi, much better with her than with Caleb. Ugh, the description of the smell when Sage went into Wyatt’s room gave me terrible olfactory memories of the boys’ PE hall back in high school XC Ohh I see. Another pretty blonde girl for Caleb to completely screw over or hurt. It hurts to see what Wyatt just thinks he’s some quiet guy who’s having a bad day instead of who Caleb really is. Ugh. Sadly he’ll probably find out soon.

Hahah April, ‘girls can’t love girls’. The denial phase is always fun, huh? The ‘but I can’t be!’ phase. : p I really like this chapter and how Chuck’s presence and her own life experience has pushed April to want to do the utmost best for her daughter; it’s very heartwarming and emotional. Chuck really is a great influence on everyone and it’s wholesome. Woah what? Lil is just letting Mel drink from Chuck? I’m wondering if her late reaction time was legitimate or not. Surely she’d notice that gargling noise.

Oh gosh, poor April. I really hope April and the baby will be okay after Mel's moment there. Oh yup, recognised those black boots straight away. And now he and Lil get to be at each other’s throats! Wow, and Faith goes with Seth in the black mist. I’m not surprised at this point. ...'heck, even dopamine and serotonin...' How can I become a vampire and get me some dopamine and serotonin? Sign me up! This is clever how it's what makes the blood so irresistible actually, I've never seen that as being a reason in any vampire story, I like it. 'feeling those emotional highs again… it can be intense.' This is so true. Now I'm wondering out of all the women April drank from, which one could have been pregnant? Jess did mention having period pain...maybe it was something else? Still, I'm honestly glad April isn't pregnant, given who the father would have been.

Ohhh when she mentioned the hormone thing I then wondered if that was the case, that April drank from a pregnant human and may not have been pregnant at all. I laughed at what Lil said about the weird effect they have on a male vampire. April's reaction to Lil's comment on the anatomical project was also my reaction to that. No thanks XC Ohh goodness, looks like Wyatt's having a bad trip... And Seth, gee, when you think he can't get any worse... Welp, apparently Faith likes that. Wonderful. He is honestly so darn obsessed with his 'I never claimed to be a good person I embrace my evil etc etc. ' attitude. I really hope he gets a wake up call soon. Also his 'I respect your choices', what, the ones you borderline force her into? Just enough to coerce her, but not enough for her to accuse you of being pushy about it? I think leaving Seth's gory kill out of the shot made it a lot better than showing it. The image the brain conjures is always worse than the one put in front of you. As for Roxie, let's hope she doesn't share the same gory fate to Caleb's lack of self control.

they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy
    Four chapters is a binge to me. Heck, 1 is good going for me most days.
    Boys' PE hall was totally what I was going for. It's a smell you never forget. And with 5 brothers, it was often the smell of home too! Lucky me.

Denial is always fun. And you know how denial ends... you can't keep it up forever. Ooh, doubting Lilith's integrity are we? You think she would notice yes. It's not something she's unfamiliar with.

The immortal husks, how they crave to feel alive. In my head they would, anyway. When I thought about immortality, I thought about living forever, as I am now. But what if it wasn't like that? What if I lost the very essence of life? What if I wasn't living? Would I give up or would I try and regain sensation by any means possible? Downward spirals into the 'what if' rabbit hole of doom are always fun, aren't they? 😂
    He is honestly so darn obsessed with his 'I never claimed to be a good person I embrace my evil etc etc. ' attitude. I really hope he gets a wake up call soon.
    Be careful what you wish for. I do have a habit of making them come true - in the least satisfying way possible, apparently. 😆 Not that it's any defence, but Caleb's kills are clean and his prey are often totally blissed out and unaware. Definitely not like this mess. But yeah, hopefully Roxie survives the night. There are enough bodies lying around and just not enough cafes.
    Almost Eternal
    edited July 2021
    Finished Book Two. Phew, what a rollercoaster ride.
    I see that Lil doesn’t sugarcoat the binding to April because they both know what it’s like to be mistreated and sidelined. Enough lies, sometimes it's better to just be honest even if the truth hurts. Yes, Wyatt, feel free to call out Caleb anytime you like. I love Broof’s permanent blushing face. Woo so now Wyatt can be a big boy and learn to cast spells! I really love the shot of Broof with all the candles. And now Ralf is having the same sort of revelation that Chuck had, a man of logic who can’t find a logical explanation for all the eerie supernatural strangeness going on. It’s funny to think under that sugar sweet old lady exterior there’s a vampire hunter. Caleb better be on his best behaviour. hhhh that revelation! So if Caleb has to die, then someone would have to kill April too? : O Broof has spent so much time caring for her and now she may have to be potentially sacrificed…There must be another way. Even in the grim magic-noir world of AE, there must be!

So my hunch was right, Wyatt is April’s bio father…I know it was alluded to earlier but I was still unsure at that point. OHHH WAIT this must mean April is also part witch! That’s awesome. Hahahah...Remember when I said Beth seemed like the black sheep and less dodgy than the posh Wangshafts seemed? Well, after seeing Ralf on the floor... now I'm not sure. X_X Ahh I was right, Jess is pregnant. Had a feeling after some of the stuff she mentioned offhand. With the father of the baby/ies dead though, that’s painful. I hope Jess will be able to pull through all of this…Ahh I had a feeling the GliTs lot would turn up for her!

‘Bullying him into complying’ - Faith becomes even more like Seth, using his own ‘technique’ against him when even he has to put his foot down and get her to stop. (After reading 2.54, this bit has a darker meaning...) The slippery slope has become more of a death slide at this point. Since you’re reading TSAHF I think you will notice a similarity of sorts between Faith and a certain magical someone- that the primary thought upon gaining their supernatural ability was power and revenge, and that it all went downhill from there.

The mind games and ‘power play’ has really come a climax where she decides to kill Megan to spite Seth…And even then he still manages to do her over. This will all catch up to her I think. I wonder if she’ll try to kill him as some kind of ultimate one-upmanship. The ‘banshee scream’ pics with April were terrifying X_X So what I gathered from the wordless chapter was that Lilith possibly recognised Sage through the window at the end, and then Broof clearing up Wyatt’s room which for me is a nice little symbol of Wyatt sorting his arcane life out a bit more, finally getting to be mentored in spellcasting.

Unpacking long-hazy memories, last time this happened Seth showed something of vulnerability for the first time- I wonder if he’ll react the same to this as well. And if he does, he’s right next to Faith who can use that to her advantage. I’m guessing Angeline might be related to Sage somehow? Unless I have missed something, I wonder what landed Seth in jail? I remember hearing that in the old days some people actually wanted to go to jail because it was considered better than living poverty-stricken out in the streets, so I wonder if he was trying to escape that sort of life by going to a life of crime. Strawberries and potatoes? Sounds like Babs’ cooking! Ahh, so Faith seems to remind Seth of an old love - 'rebellious, bad tempered'... Constantly finding a replacement for something lost is not always good. Creepy how 'satisfy and savour' back then was referring to you-know-what, whereas now his cravings aren't just for that. X_X

I feel like out of context, this whole chapter (2.53) would just come across as Seth being a delinquent whose only interest is in you-know-what. You would never imagine it'd evolve into what he is today. So from what I understand of the final chapter, Seth killed his father? Yeah, 'therapy' back in the day was not good. No doubt Seth probably learned nothing from being locked up and tarred with the 'crazy' brush. Ohh so did the cat bite him I wonder? And also it's unbelievable to see Seth be so fearful in this flashback.

And here we have the cat lady. That one shot where she leans into Seth, grinning, and you can just of see her eye- it's honestly terrifying. I was reading this in the dark and legit had chills. So far this has to be one of the most horrifying point in the entire story, even more than Seth's gory meal. I think cat lady is definitely one of the scariest characters. She does to Seth what Caleb did to April, except this time we get the detail from the victim's point of view and Cat lady was entirely, fully aware of what she was doing which makes it even worse. This will be the only time I say I feel sympathy for Seth. He didn't deserve that done to him, not at all, no-one does. Controlling body and mind...it's horrifying. And the ending where Seth has her eyes...Has she somehow possessed him or has he had some kind of vampiric awakening of new power? Or is Cat lady his bind?

You know when I first started Book 2, judging by chapter names I actually thought the two chapters would eventually be about Caleb and Lilith respectively. It's mad how much my expectations have been thrown aside and chewed up. So many surprises and revelations especially in this book.
    they/them or she/her
    @Snowbnuuy
    OMG. How do you people binge this much in one go?! I had to read back through at the end of book two to ensure I was still on track and wow; when I wasn’t cringing, I was so bored.
    Ooh, you’re hopping about like an excitable little bunny here. 😆 Welp, people wanted Caleb out of the picture. You knew there’d be a price for that, right?

If Wyatt is indeed April’s biological father, there’s certainly a good chance that she’d be part witch, yes. If that part didn’t die when she did, of course.

I do love it when people read a later chapter and link it back to a behaviour in an earlier one. It probably means I’m writing the story wrong/backwards. But it’ll be a fun ending. Or beginning? I’ve confused myself.

I do notice a similarity between your Morgyn and my Faith. Always held back and struggling to belong or identify and then grasping power at the first opportunity. I wonder if your plans for Morgyn match mine for Faith. That’d be… creepy awesome.

As Seth told her the first time they properly spoke ‘you’re playing a dangerous game.’ He told her a lot that night. Shame she listened to approximately none of it.

Broof had been trying to clean that room since I first made it, so I finally let him. Wyatt hated it.

I see you answered a few of these questions as your read the final two chapters but yes, Seth being in the Tower was not his choice, rather the result of reaching the end of his tether. He snaps like a twig, this one.
    Ohh so did the cat bite him I wonder?

That innocent little fluffball? Whyever would he?

And you reach THE CHAPTER. Almost drove me as mad as Seth, creating poses for this 😩. Ooh, Kitty gave you chills? She gives me a heavy, sick feeling. This is pretty much the low point of AE. There’s one bit in Book 4 which is gonna be hard to write and one near the end, but in terms of outright horrifying, book 2 is the worst. And you survived! Yay!
    This will be the only time I say I feel sympathy for Seth
    You sure? 😉

It’ll all make sense at the end, I hope promise.
    Almost Eternal
    edited July 2021
    @SnuffyBucket
    I'm a pretty good binge-er for a lot of reasons, mainly because when I get into something I really really reaaally GET INTO it, and I can't stop until I'm up to date. Also it's something to look forward to each day, reading the rest of the story, and it's a nice distraction from IRL (weird how dark stories can be good distractions : P ) Also I really wanted to find out who Kitty was and about Seth's buried memories. I also read on the bus to work, on my break and before work (if I'm awake enough) as well as at my computer. So I'm almost always reading something, whilst my physical book sits in my bookbag like 'please, finish me, you have owned me for TWO YEARS'.

Anyway, I am now...Caught up! Woo!
    It feels really odd to see this overt desperation coming from Seth. Even Faith is freaked out. I really like the lore tidbit that stronger bloodlines mean slower aging. To be fair I can kind of see why Sage is annoyed; she's been in the coven her whole life, clearly has experience but they elected someone else with seemingly much less experience over her. Whilst bringing magic 'into the mainstream' sounds good on the surface, it's also a potentially dangerous situation. An attempt to 'blend in' to non-witch society could easily go very wrong. Yeah, Broof, your name COULD be worse. You could be Wangshaft XD

'He was always such a miserable [...], moping around...' Sounds like my brother too XD
    I have little doubt that Faith will probably take advantage of this rare bit of Seth vulnerability. Ohh goodness no, Wyatt, don't fall for Caleb, you'll only get hurt ;-; 'Melinda had often wished that she could take April away from her mother, away from everyone who ever wanted to hurt her' Another way I relate to Melinda, just wishing I had the power to get people I care about away from the people that hurt them : ( 'Everything she’d ever done was done nicely. She always tried to do the right thing, the kind thing, the nice thing. And where the heck had that gotten her?' Okay, okay, now I just feel attacked : P That pic of our fave Nice Girl TM brandishing a knife was just X_X

Faith's outburst towards Seth could be read as 'tough love' but to me it comes across more as like 'How dare you be thinking about other women' or something. Now pre 2.54 I would have been like 'SETH IS BEING SUS AGAIN' but actually, for once, I think him comforting Faith is somewhat genuine. Sure, it's only because he can relate and it's to do with him, but for now it's a step up from what he was like before the memories flooded back. I hate to say that Seth in that sense reminds me of someone I've known for years- there's a level of minor sympathy when it's something he can relate to, but it's never entirely selfless. You know, Seth killing his abusive dad just doesn't bother me. I have no patience for abusive parents in stories. They can just go, bye bye : P

Hoooo gosh reading in the dark again, that one pic of Seth just after his first vamp kill says a lot just in one picture. The look on his face, the shocked pose, the whole 'what have I done?' thing that eventually he would just get used to. And the guilt on his face, something that would eventually just be non existent. I'm so glad I get another news snippet before I finish the last current chapter. 'Zibbo' 'It's Yibbo' 'Blibbo' XD Caleb, I can't imagine all the results you would get just for typing 'Faith' into the computer. Also on a side note I am loving Mona's description of Caleb: ' the cabbage head over all cabbage heads!'. As much as I like Sage as a character, her condescending demeanour would irritate the heck out of me if I knew her, so bad. She seems to be like it to almost everybody. I feel bad for Jess, I feel like she'd be slightly more comfortable having Turkle to talk at. I got the vibe her coping mech for any stress was her constant talking (sometimes helps me calm down too, and sometimes loses me friends who understandably don't want to hear me rambling XD) but talking to a plush turtle where she is right now probably will buy her another year in there.
    they/them or she/her

The very definition of...

apQa8Fcl.jpg

Chapter 3.05 - Brick by Brick

Almost Eternal
    @Snowbnuuy
    I'm almost always reading something, whilst my physical book sits in my bookbag like 'please, finish me, you have owned me for TWO YEARS'.
    Oh wow, do I hear you there. A friend of mine bought me a book a few years ago about a travelling cat and it’s travelled everywhere in my overnight case since I got it and I’ve read… 2 chapters. It’s not that it’s not good, it’s just that SimLit is BETTER.
    Congratulations! You now join everyone else in the painful waiting area for the next chapter, hoping that it’s not going to be full of all your least favourite characters!

Yep, it could all go very badly trying to take witchiness mainstream, but I’m sure it won’t because everything has gone swimmingly in the story so far. Broof (cannot type his middle name here) Wangshaft. I mean, that is worse, you’re not wrong.

Aw, I like that you relate so much to Mel. She often gets overlooked in favour of my louder characters, but she is powerful in her own right.
    Faith's outburst towards Seth could be read as 'tough love' but to me it comes across more as like 'How dare you be thinking about other women' or something.
    What an interesting observation you have made here. How very dare he think of other women; he knows how that worked out previously. Perhaps he just has a knack for picking the same women.

Is there any such thing as truly selfless? That’s another rabbithole I’ve been down a few times.

I was so proud of that ‘what the heck have I just done?!’ pose. Maybe I’ll disclaimer when not to read in the dark, just for you. But a heads up; there’s nothing disturbing for at least… one chapter. 😆
    Almost Eternal
    @SnuffyBucket My thoughts exactly on the book thing!

My thoughts on 3.05;
    I can imagine Sage not being used to walking and not just because she’s an old lady (don’t tell her I called her that!) Something I thought about is how using magic for everything from teleportation to gardening to cooking, would really affect you physically since you wouldn’t need to use your muscles etc as much. who she is under the cheery old witch facade is probably something to be feared, epsecially if you have fangs and like to drink blood : p I’d find her annoying if I met her but as a character she is great.

Hang on…so now Danny has gone, who will no doubt eventually tell someone of what happened, therefore possibly inciting an attack on the vampIres- and Sage is willing to blow the place up with the girls inside ?! Ohh wait the girls are safe, the flare and overlay effects of the spell were awesome and the descriptions really emphasised Sage’s (rather terrifying) power. So now for me this calls into question the location bind to April. If the house is no longer there, then.I wonder how this will affect her? More banshee screaming later on perhaps? Not sure how to interpret ‘it ends here’- as in vampirism, or their lives?
    they/them or she/her
    @Snowbnuuy
    She knows she’s an old lady, so you’re fine. Yep, spot on, the muscle wastage from a life of merely waving your hands about should not be underestimated. And drawing that much energy into such a frail shell? Think Sage might need a little nap when/if she gets home. Now I wonder which of her many faces she’d let you see if you met her. I assume that you don’t have fangs or drink blood, so you’d probably get the sweet, old lady guise with a lovely undercurrent of patronising, stubborn grandma.

Danny will definitely tell someone… if he gets chance. Ooh a compliment on my special effects and my descriptive writing! Thank you! I’m gonna screenshot that comment, print it, frame it and put it on my wall because it’ll never happen again. 😆

How will this affect April, indeed. We all remember the banshee scream and there was an earlier scene where Caleb gave April a command that she couldn’t fit into her logic and she short-circuited somewhat so it’s safe to say that she’s not gonna be strolling into apartment, totally back to normal, no.
    Not sure how to interpret ‘it ends here’- as in vampirism, or their lives?
    Either or neither. 😉
    Almost Eternal