Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Almost Eternal - Updated February 3rd

Comments

• MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,372 Member
    @SnuffyBucket
    I posted a comment on your blog but something went wrong. I had ended up in the wrong chapter :s
    Unfortunately, I can not delete it myself, but I have copied my comment to today's section. I hope it does not make you too confused.
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    Chapter 41
    Has someone told you yet that you're very good at writing scary characters? My gods. Seth just hits all the red flags in my head whenever he makes an appearance. Every single one of them. This guy creeps me out so bad. :D
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • SnuffyBucketSnuffyBucket Posts: 569 Member
    @_sims_Yimi
    No one has told me that. Thanks. :) I have, however, determined that I'm good at writing extremely polarising characters. :D If you wish to elaborate on why exactly the resident murdering madman creeps you out, please do! After all, he didn't do anything Faith didn't actually want him to, bar one teeny little thing which is probably insignificant.
    Banner-2-with-filters.jpg
    Almost Eternal
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »
    Chapter 41
    Has someone told you yet that you're very good at writing scary characters? My gods. Seth just hits all the red flags in my head whenever he makes an appearance. Every single one of them. This guy creeps me out so bad. :D

Snuffy this reply is for you too!
    I actually really like Seth. :no_mouth: I'm just as drawn to him as her. He's kinda checking all the boxes for me at the moment. :lol:

But I don't want Faith to take up his offer. Seth is right. He seems straightforward and gives the impression that he has revealed his entire hand when its the opposite. This game is too dangerous. She's too willing to give up that something he wants without having a backup plan. Maybe she'll make one and go for it. Ok. I'll have faith in Faith but I'm still super protective of her.

Don't harm Faith!! D:
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited October 2020
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »
    Chapter 41

Snuffy this reply is for you too!
    I actually really like Seth. :no_mouth: I'm just as drawn to him as her. He's kinda checking all the boxes for me at the moment. :lol:

But I don't want Faith to take up his offer. Seth is right. He seems straightforward and gives the impression that he has revealed his entire hand when its the opposite. This game is too dangerous. She's too willing to give up that something he wants without having a backup plan. Maybe she'll make one and go for it. Ok. I'll have faith in Faith but I'm still super protective of her.

Don't harm Faith!! D:
    So do I. He's basically my favourite at the minute. That could change, of course, but currently there's nothing about him I dislike (I mean, what's a bit of light murdering done to anyone, right? :mrgreen: ) Considering all the powers he has to bend minds, he's actually surprisingly direct. Of course, sprinkling lies with truths is the best way of making them believable, but like he says, nothing he's told Faith about himself shows him in a particularly flattering light, so why would he lie? He definitely strikes me as more direct than the vast majority of the characters in AE so far. Which I guess is a whole point of being that handsome rogue type...
    @ThePlumbob
    Lol okay I'm conflicted about his murdering. :joy: After Snuffy's reveal though I'm not surprised that he's direct since he knows he can fix the situation if he ever reveals too much. He also strikes me as the type that only reveals that which doesn't foil his plans. He probably knew beforehand that what he says will attract Faith than deter her and he can fix it if it doesn't.

Ok @SnuffyBucket ! My theories are
    When Faith's abilities manifest properly, she is a direct counter to his mind reading. He will not like that. Or he might like that. Tables turning? Pleaseeee? :smiley:

Seth's quest is the direct opposite of Lilith's mission. He wants Caleb to become a 'great' vampire. :no_mouth:

You definitely keep me coming back. :lol: Man Lilith used to have Seth's abilities?? Lilith was lamenting about how she could no longer do what Seth do in a previous chapter.
    edited October 2020
    @mercuryfoam Oops this turned into a rant halfway through, it's really just the first paragraph that's a response for you, the rest is for Snuffy I guess!
    Oh I have no doubt he only shares what he finds beneficial, but that could literally be said about 90% of the characters, the only exception I can think of is Melinda. It's true that he can "edit" himself favourably later in a way none of the others can, but I find the fact he's not presenting himself as a "good vampire that eats grass," as he put it refreshing.

Unlike some people... I still feel like Lilith is sitting on a pile of skeletons but will deny it unless cornered. Even the part where she told Faith she did not know Seth, in an attempt to make the decision about whether to seek him out or not for her. The logical thing to do there would have been to present Faith with the facts, and if they are as convincing as she believes, presumably Faith would have been deterred. The fact she did not do that means that either a) the fact don't show her all that favourably either or b) she's so used to controlling Caleb that she can't help but slip into making decisions for everyone, because she knows best... and here I go again, venting about Lilith. Darnit. Sorry. I just really dislike her. I'll try to tone it down.

Edit: There's actually very little Lilith would have to do for me to quit hating on her all the time. If she ever owned up to not being 100% right all the time, admitted that she makes mistakes, her and I could totally be cool. But all we've seen from her with absolutely everyone is this holier than though attitude. Until that changes, I can't see myself growing more fond of her, as much as I feel for her tragic past.
    @mercuryfoam @ThePlumbob @_sims_Yimi
    Clearly I have made him desperately attractive and charismatic for a reason. If wet dog car dude was telling you how you he enjoyed ripping out the throats and hearts of strangers, it probably wouldn't have quite the same effect. You'd all hate him, and be commenting 'get your creepy hands off her, you slimy rat!' :D

The game is dangerous, because no matter what Faith says, he hears different. So what does she want? If he acts in a way that she's not consciously aware that she wants him to, is that actually OK? She asked him to stop her, he did. She asked him to touch her, he did. She asked him to hurt her, he didn't, he warned her. But why? ...

Everyone in AE shares what is beneficial, the extent varies. Seth's difference is that he's the only one who can hit undo. Which makes it oodles of fun for me to write because now I can sneak in bonus bits for you guys that I don't want the characters to know, like what naughty Mr.Vatore has been up to behind his sister's back. ;)

@mercuryfoam
    When Faith's abilities manifest properly, she is a direct counter to his mind reading. He will not like that. Or he might like that. Tables turning? Pleaseeee? :smiley:

Seth's quest is the direct opposite of Lilith's mission. He wants Caleb to become a 'great' vampire. :no_mouth:

You definitely keep me coming back. :lol: Man Lilith used to have Seth's abilities?? Lilith was lamenting about how she could no longer do what Seth do in a previous chapter.
    Faith will be able to do something to turn tables when whatever is in her head manifests. I'm not saying anything else, you will sit and be patient, darn it.

Wow, Seth didn't pick an easy quest there, did he? 😂

Lilith had more abilities once, yes.

Have you listened to any of the new songs? Might be a clue or two in them... 😉

@ThePlumbob
    :D It's not even a Lilith chapter! You crack me up. 😂 You can put your Lil Rant Hat on for definite tomorrow Plumbob, I look forward to it. Seth didn't paint her in a great light, did he. But then again, he is the scorned ex, so... my exes probably tell all their new partners about my days of crushing souls like flowers, too 😁

Almost Eternal
    @mercuryfoam
    Have you listened to any of the new songs? Might be a clue or two in them... 😉

Now I've listened to one. Holy smokes. Here comes trance Mercury for the next 5 hours.
    @mercuryfoam
    Um, enjoy? Let me know who you go for. :D
    Almost Eternal

@ThePlumbob
    :D It's not even a Lilith chapter! You crack me up. 😂 You can put your Lil Rant Hat on for definite tomorrow Plumbob, I look forward to it. Seth didn't paint her in a great light, did he. But then again, he is the scorned ex, so... my exes probably tell all their new partners about my days of crushing souls like flowers, too 😁
    Nah, my dislike of Lilith doesn't have anything to do with what Seth said about her here, and you know it goes well before he was even really in the picture. Don't think that me calling him refreshingly direct means I take his word as gospel either, I don't. I just prefer that he owns up to some extent of his nasty side while she does not, but I just sound like a broken record, so...
    @mercuryfoam @ThePlumbob @SnuffyBucket
    All right, let me try to get my creepy vibes regarding Seth out of my head and onto paper. I'm not good at this though, so this will be a wall of rambly nonsense. :sweat_smile:

I didn’t like Seth poking into people's minds just like I don’t like Lilith poking around in people’s minds, but Lilith seems to actively struggle with trying to keep herself under control. She’s shown to be apologetic about it on occasion, like she just can’t help herself (either because she can’t control it, or is so used to doing it that it’s subconscious at this point).

The first chapter that we really got a good look at Seth, Lilith had to attract him to her using her worst feelings of fear. From how I read it, he relished in invading her mind, breaking through any resistances she might have put up in order to get what he wanted. He enjoyed mentally assaulting her, as well as the sense of discomfort that he made her feel while doing it. He casually admits to enjoying slaughtering people, even calling it merciful when he tore apart Melinda’s mother. He’s shown to have no issues with taking control of people’s physical bodies and forcing them to move against their will.

In the second chapter that stars Seth, he's shown manipulating Faith. He twists his words into what she wants to hear by invading her mind and flat-out erases/alters her memory when she learns something that he doesn’t want her to know. He admits to disembowelling humans and leaving bits of them on Lilith’s doorstep. And then he enjoys it when Faith freaks out about that, even showing her his dark form, as if he’s proud.

I'm biased in favor of Lilith, but from what I can tell, Lilith is actively trying to preserve lives. Caleb can’t control himself well, but seems to be trying, at least now. But Seth? He doesn’t want to control himself. From what I can tell, he likes being a monster. He doesn’t seem to care about people's lives at all. The fact that he’s desperately attractive and charismatic doesn’t make it better for me. It makes it worse. :neutral:

I'm honestly curious. Am I the weird one here? What boxes is Seth checking with you guys? :sweat_smile:
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    @_sims_Yimi
    You're not weird. Everything you say is totally valid. If I was a reader, at this point in the story, my opinion of Seth would be most similar to yours.
    I'm biased in favor of Lilith, but from what I can tell, Lilith is actively trying to preserve lives. Caleb can’t control himself well, but seems to be trying, at least now. But Seth? He doesn’t want to control himself. From what I can tell, he likes being a monster. He doesn’t seem to care about people's lives at all. The fact that he’s desperately attractive and charismatic doesn’t make it better for me. It makes it worse
    Correct, he doesn't try to restrain himself in any way whatsoever. He is the epitome of what we have learned of rogues. And it would appear that he likes being a monster... I'll stop now I'm walking the spoiler line.
    Almost Eternal
    @_sims_Yimi
    Well for me it boils down to this: I don't personally think you get to become a 300-year-old plus vampire if you don't grow to accept/enjoy being a monster. Seth is just the only one that's upfront about it *shrug*
    edited October 2020
    @_sims_Yimi
    I agree with you that the details of Seth are repulsive. I don't find murderers and monsters attractive. Seth is appealing to me because of what he represents.

Disclaimer: Everything here is my perspective, my attached values and meaning to Snuffy's characters.

Seth represents liberation. From a nature vs nurture pov, Nature: Caleb represses his natural instincts while Lilith represses the effects of her natural vampiric development. Nurture: Caleb desperately clings on to the feeble idea of morality while Lilith rejects herself. (I agree with you 100% of the similarities between Lilith and Seth and the critical detail that makes them different.)

Seth has long discarded the complexities of ethics and humanity. He embraces and accepts himself for what he is/has become. Self-censorship and repression? What's that? Self-expression and acceptance is his motto.

Imo that's why him and characters like Jack Sparrow are likable. They're not conformed by society or right or wrong. They just be themselves without being weighed down by things that don't matter.

And Seth (*cough* Snuffy) does it right. He is guiltless. (And hot and yada yada :wink: ) I think many people dream of being truly free without feeling guilty or caring about consequences, so Seth will have his admirers.
    edited October 2020
    @mercuryfoam
    He embraces and accepts himself for what he is/has become. Self-censorship and repression? What's that? Self-expression and acceptance is his motto.
    He is not the only character who embraces themselves unashamedly. Where's the army of fans for this guy?
    Will.png
    Why does this picture make me laugh so much? What's wrong with me? :D
    Almost Eternal

Time for a hasty escape.

Chapter 42 - Take The TV
    Almost Eternal
    Chapter 42
    “We’ve only got two plasma packs left, so one for you, one for Blondie. Here.”
    Aw. Leave it to Faith to care for everyone but herself. Ouch, that moment between her and Lilith, though. She definitely did not take kindly to being accused of mistreating Caleb. I wonder if she dug through her mind to find out about Seth, too. Melinda didn’t seem to realize she was reading her, but Caleb definitely notices when she does. Does it take training to recognize? Do you need to be sensitive to it? Or was Lilith just way more gentle with Melinda back then than she was with Caleb? Hmm. So many questions. And the pile of question marks just keeps growing and growing. :D
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Mel POV? Yes? Coming up? 🙏🙏🙏 *crosses fingers and toes*
    I'll also have to divorce her because she's too precious. Can't taint her. I'll take Lilith instead.
    @_sims_Yimi
    Lilith did say that Melinda was 'refreshing' and has said she enjoyed Melinda's thoughts, so perhaps they flitter at the surface and therefore she doesn't have to intrude quite so deeply.
    I am trying to answer things. It's not my fault the story is so very deep and complicated that every answer causes three more questions. OK it is, but... I forget my point. :D I'm almost at the end of part 1 and I was going to ask for feedback, including what burning questions you all wanted answering. I think it's gonna be a big list.

@mercuryfoam
    I have a Mel POV in the pipeline, but not for part 1.
    Almost Eternal
    Here begins the rebellion

Chapter 43 - Never Seen Your Face
    Almost Eternal
    Chapter 43
    Loved it as always. :mrgreen: Your news reports continue to crack me up. They sure are taking this crime for a spin. Looks like they’ve got their channel view quota out of Broof and Davis, and now they’re looking for a scandal with April to ham it up even more.

Faith realizing that Melinda would want to talk her out of seeing Seth because he’s a messed-up psychopath is the reason why she wants to go even more?! My gods, woman. Why do you want to be hurt? Do you want to be broken? 0.o

That picture of Lilith at the end… ouch. Seems to me like she really does mean well, but Seth already got into Faith’s head, and with her lying and being vague about what is going on with Caleb, there’s no way that she can convince Faith of anything now. I wonder if she’ll follow Faith to keep an eye on her or if she’ll leave her to get broken by Seth.

J6AKQqX.jpg
    @_sims_Yimi
    Aw, you're too sweet. :blush:
    It's the news story of the century don't you know? And the media has very few facts. They've got to give the viewers something.

She knows what she wants. It's not always what's best for her.

Her methods are all kind of botched but Lilith does mean well. Sometimes.

Almost Eternal
    The memories of your ghost

Chapter 44 - Toy
    Almost Eternal