Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Spark'd? No thanks!!

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    trophy wrote: »
    It’s not a good idea. Talk about poking a bear.
    Read the room gurus!

Also, it’s alienating the non American fans who may want to watch.

But they did say they were going to chase fads. They weren’t lying.

I am an American, but still yeah, why is this just America? :( Way to make your overseas customers feel real good.

TBS is not the only place to view the show, I believe you can watch it on Buzzfeed’s channel. I can see why they thought it was a good idea given how many players do love challenges, using the game to tell stories on YouTube/tumblr and the popularity of competitive reality shows. Like anything execution is key, I am intrigued enough to give it a chance.

Oh yes BuzzFeed the joke of the internet.
  • KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    edited July 2020
    Read the room gurus!

I am an American, but still yeah, why is this just America? :( Way to make your overseas customers feel real good.

TBS is not the only place to view the show, I believe you can watch it on Buzzfeed’s channel. I can see why they thought it was a good idea given how many players do love challenges, using the game to tell stories on YouTube/tumblr and the popularity of competitive reality shows. Like anything execution is key, I am intrigued enough to give it a chance.

Yeeaaahhh .... :/ I stay far away from them.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    I'm just baffled , this is my response.Its just baffling.This us not the worst idea . I think a better series would be a documentary on simmers, and how they play their game.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm just baffled , this is my response.Its just baffling.This us not the worst idea . I think a better series would be a documentary on simmers, and how they play their game.

Better yet, how about a series about mod and custom content creators? They do so much work for this game. And it would be more interesting. The GCs just advertise.
  • KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    edited July 2020
    bixters wrote: »

Better yet, how about a series about mod and custom content creators? They do so much work for this game. And it would be more interesting. The GCs just advertise.

I would like this actually, the modders and cc don't get enough love.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Ugh. Agree with everyone who says the money (however small) could've been better spent - esp. because people are still experiencing major bugs, and gameplay is still non-existent.

The build competitions might've been of interest to me, but appearing on the next season of a reality show is a kind of torture I'd prefer to avoid. If the winners won say 1k each though, it's be a different story... 🤩
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2020
    Nah, a documentary on simmers would probably be an hour of LGBT+/PoC/neuro-divergent people talking about how much their lives suck and that Sims 4 is amazing escapism. Then EA pats itself on the back for being inclusive while using these peoples' issues to push products and make themselves look good. Any flaws of the Sims 4, especially how it compares to other Sims games, will either be ignored, or swept under the rug, or reframed in a way that makes them look good. In fact, don't expect anything beyond surface-level gameplay to play a part.

At least with this, we could get some creative ideas flowing. It encourages people to design sims and builds, and the stupid Gallery Challenges will provide some interactivity. Shell challenges proved that a lot of people would be into this idea. If this series turns out well enough, it could give regular players a chance to be in the spotlight. At least with this dumb show, it's a give and take situation (although we take a lot less than we give.)
    I want to see them advertise a certain wicked mod. Do that, then I'll watch your show.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer but in all honesty, I don't see this going past the first season. Here in the US network television is a fickle thing. There's never a guarantee that a show will survive from one week to the next. I've literally watched shows be cancelled almost mid-episode, "Time After Time" on ABC for example. I have lost many of my favorites this way. I don't really watch a lot of TBS currently but I think they're a little less cancel happy than NBC or ABC, those two are brutal. That being said, I may still watch the first episode and see if it's worth my DVR space. I feel like it's an interesting concept but I don't feel like it's going to do too well outside the simming community. I hope to be proven wrong.

As for the budget argument, I don't think this has anything to do with the development budget. I think the two are separate departments and in turn separate budgets.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    Not your thing? Don't watch it!
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited July 2020
    Wonderful for those who like to participate in challenges or just watch GCs being judged.

I personally will be avoiding this kind of American Reality TV at all costs and I’m glad it keeps itself well removed from the rest of the world.
    I’d rather meditate while sitting on a twirling Plumbob than watch this Cringe Fest. And yes the former would hurt less than the latter.
    @Gordy wrote: »
    I want to see them advertise a certain wicked mod. Do that, then I'll watch your show.

Ok I’m in.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I can tell right off the bat that this isnt seeing a second season. Its just a random one-off idea that will tide folks over until new fall tv premiers get our attention.

Im not interested. 10% of the reason is because I dont have cable, and 90% of the reason is because reality shows where some facet of nerdy culture is the focal point do not have a track record of doing well. They just end up being cringey messes that only succeeds in making the community look like weirdos. I legitimately want to know why someone thought this was a good idea.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i said it on reddit but, this isn't my demographic. and if this isn't your thing then its not your demographic either.

there's a lot of people who watch sims stuff on buzzfeed multiplayer, a lot of them being very young.

i'll probably watch it out of just pure boredom but eh. not mad about it. just wish they'd spend a bit more time updating this game if they're gonna try and branch out to TBS and get more players
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    eCompetitions do generate profit. Real eSports leagues and real eCompetitions pay real money. What they're offering here is a complete joke.

It's like they're laughing at themselves before they even get started, and if they expect anyone to take this as a serious competition when it basically pays the price of a single moderate primetime commercial slot, they are seriously kidding themselves.

Not to mention the horror stories of what people on reality shows have to live with for the rest of their lives when the cameras go off and they have to live with those editing manipulations for life.

It's basically chump change for gullible people. It wouldn't be even close to being worth it for me.

And watching it would be the same as watching the streams they already do, which I go out of my way to avoid.

I'm sure somebody out there might enjoy this, but it is so uninteresting on so many levels to me.
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2020
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I mean, it's an attempt to engage community members while they don't have anything to release yet. The challenges are also available for other players to do. Seems pretty standard from the Sims team

If you're not interested, you can just ignore it

Ignore them giving $100,000 away rather than putting that back into the game itself? Yea, that's a bit of a stretch. lol

• SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2020
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I mean, it's an attempt to engage community members while they don't have anything to release yet. The challenges are also available for other players to do. Seems pretty standard from the Sims team

If you're not interested, you can just ignore it

I think the budget could have been used more productively, you know, for things like babies, cars, better personalities for our sims? And this whole thing looks so cringe.

Marketing has its own team and budget. 100,000 is not much for a world famous franchise.

Interesting points. Makes me wonder if someone who tosses money into marketing should be tossing quite a bit more into development or whatever.
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    Read the room gurus!

I thought Kelsey’s videos were pretty entertaining, but I was not discussing Buzzfeed Itself but a means to watch the show. It really was not an endorsement.

Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • chons95chons95 Posts: 51 Member
    I think the budget for advertising and all these things is separated from the development of the game. I'm not sure if it's only maxis the one who decides this things. I also believe that the group of people who organized this is not the same as the team that make the game. So this hasn't taken away money nor time from the game. It's just part of another budget dealt by another team.
    If the objective is to bring new people to the game (new money) I think it's a good strategy. I think at least most people in this forum has played the sims (otherwise I don't know why they're here tbh) so it's not for us. It's not going to be about something that interests us but something that may be appealing to other people and introduces the game to others. They're
    also probably looking for people with charisma and who are used to being in front of the camera to participate so they call GCs because it's for now probably the safest bet. So yeah, it's advertisement that is not for us. Hopefully, it goes well enough that some of the gains may go as a plus to the development team.
    edited July 2020
    chons95 wrote: »
    I think the budget for advertising and all these things is separated from the development of the game. I'm not sure if it's only maxis the one who decides this things. I also believe that the group of people who organized this is not the same as the team that make the game. So this hasn't taken away money nor time from the game. It's just part of another budget dealt by another team.
    If the objective is to bring new people to the game (new money) I think it's a good strategy. I think at least most people in this forum has played the sims (otherwise I don't know why they're here tbh) so it's not for us. It's not going to be about something that interests us but something that may be appealing to other people and introduces the game to others. They're
    also probably looking for people with charisma and who are used to being in front of the camera to participate so they call GCs because it's for now probably the safest bet. So yeah, it's advertisement that is not for us. Hopefully, it goes well enough that some of the gains may go as a plus to the development team.

I don't understand why people keep saying "it's not the same department so it doesn't effect the game." EA gives out money to Marketing and they make silly tv shows, while giving their development team NOTHING. Why don't we have bunkbeds? Because EA does not want to properly fund their Development team and would rather give it to Marketing. They want to spend as little money as possible making this game, while selling as much as possible. Which is now why we have this cringe worthy attempt at a reality tv show.
    EA has a history of doing this, and they do need to be called out on it. We shouldn't be making excuses for them.

So, basically EA showers out money for advertising efforts like this, while giving their Development team NOTHING. That's the problem.
    edited July 2020
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer but in all honesty, I don't see this going past the first season. Here in the US network television is a fickle thing. There's never a guarantee that a show will survive from one week to the next. I've literally watched shows be cancelled almost mid-episode, "Time After Time" on ABC for example. I have lost many of my favorites this way. I don't really watch a lot of TBS currently but I think they're a little less cancel happy than NBC or ABC, those two are brutal. That being said, I may still watch the first episode and see if it's worth my DVR space. I feel like it's an interesting concept but I don't feel like it's going to do too well outside the simming community. I hope to be proven wrong.

As for the budget argument, I don't think this has anything to do with the development budget. I think the two are separate departments and in turn separate budgets.

Except EA gives their Marketing money for stupid reality TV shows, when they can't even be bothered to give their Development team money for bunkbeds.
    That's the problem.
  • chons95chons95 Posts: 51 Member
    edited July 2020

@bixters

They are not not getting nothing. There are somethings that have been branched out given an increase of budget such as hair and other things (they talked about it at some of the knitting stuff posts) which gives the development team supposedly more time to focus on other things.
    I'm not really excusing them, just because I understand what they're doing doesn't mean I agree. Tbh on the long run, be it with Sims 5 or maybe we'll see it in this Sims 4, this thing will came back and bite them because the game as it is doesn't get too much engagement from players like prior versions. Yes, the sims for many including me, is an on and off game in which you play almost obsessively for a period of time and don't touch it for some other time and then you play again; but the sims 4 for many has more of the off time than the on given the problems it has.
    Right now, we the players who have played this game for years are not the biggest source of income because we are more cautious when buying and we're aware of it's problems. The new players don't know and honestly are getting a much better game than the one we got 6 years ago so they won't notice the flaws right away.
    The problem is that if they continue to put out unfinished packs or bad content and also keep getting new players, after some time those players are gonna become just like us. With the sims 4 we were "fooled" because of the prior sims games (which had their problems but were solid games in their own right) but I don't think people are going to be so fast to buy sims 5 after all this.

Edit: and honestly there are more important things lacking that bunk beds
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member

Except EA gives their Marketing money for stupid reality TV shows, when they can't even be bothered to give their Development team money for bunkbeds.
    That's the problem.

I see your point but I was just stating that they're probably different departments with different budgets. Of course I don't know for sure, I don't work at EA. That's why I said "I don't think" one has anything to do with the other, solely my opinion.

Of course, I would like bunkbeds, better babies, etc., but I don't think spending money on a reality show is the reason we don't have those things. I have no idea what the reason is other than they just haven't made them yet. Sure, in theory, EA could have given the money to development but I'm not 100% sure if that's how it works. Who's really to say we'll never get the other stuff because they decided to do a reality show? We won't know until they announce it or move on to TS5.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Thats why we dont have diverse animations, because they spent the budget elsewhere.
    ihavemultiplegamertags