Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Spark'd? No thanks!!

Comments

• purplereignpurplereign Posts: 111 Member
    Even the Katy Perry Pack from Sims 3 makes more sense consumer wise than this thing.
  • KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I feel like all the money EA gave to the marketing department for this tv show SHOULD have been given to developing the game. This game has sold millions of copies, and it already has plenty of advertising. At a certain point, it just screams GREED.
    This TV show just seems unnecessary, and I don't think it will attract any new players. No one outside of the sims community will watch this. Most non-Simmer people flipping the tv will just be like, "another game show, NEXT."
    So honestly I think EA will loose money by doing this.

They also aren't doing anything ground breaking, you can watch your fav. game charger do their things and other fans builds and playthroughs for free on YT.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    logion wrote: »
    TS1299 wrote: »
    It’s not a good idea. Talk about poking a bear.

No kidding, a lot of people on twitter are quoting what Maxis said when people asked them about Bunk Beds, and they got the response that they were too expensive to make. But they are fine with having a TV show and giving away $100,000.

I know that there are different budgets for game development and marketing... but I also understand why the community on twitter are not happy about it.

Sadly It appears that I think it is being quoted the wrong way with an incomplete context. Bunk Beds are expensive to make in a Stuff Pack. All of the times that we heard the gurus to tell us about bunkbeds it is always in a stuffpack interview (Kids Room Stuff, Tiny Living Stuff) and was always mentioned that we need to look into EP and GP if we want Bunkbeds. The reason they get those response is because when bunk beds become a topic, it is always in a Stuff Pack. Yet it was spreading that the team have no enough budget for doing bunk beds even if they really can in EP, GP, or even Free Updates.

Remember Ladders and Different Stair Types? When SimGuruGraham (the Stuff Pack lead at that time) was asked about it he mentiones the same thing, Stuff pack don't have the budget to do that and look into EP and GP. Now we had Ladders and different types of stairs. It is just they cannot add those things in the Stuff Pack like he said, there are no gameplay engineers that are working on the Stuff Pack.

Remember how we were given that same lame excuse for lounge chairs and when they finally made their grand debut they didn’t even function the way which supposedly made them so hard to make in the first place? Pardon me for not falling for the same excuses for the millionteenth time. EA is one of the largest publishers in the world; the constant budgetary issues are literally excuses at this point. Doesn’t take 6 years to fix that, especially when that excuse is being tossed around for mundane stuff they’ve known people have spent years asking for.

With Bunk Beds for Tiny Living I can understand because it was only a Stuff Pack...but I agree with your point about lounge chairs. No idea what happened there, they said they were so difficult to make and when they finally added them in Island Living they were nothing like they said.

What happened? They tossed out a plausible sounding excuse so players would stop talking about it and then expected everyone to forget what they said when they didn’t do the work they claimed needed to be done.

TL wasn’t just a stuff pack it was the 16th stuff pack. You’d think by now they’d have a general idea of what kind of gameplay is “too much” for that kind of DLC.

I agree with you there, the development for the sims4 feels so limited sometimes. They have no problems making loads of CAS and Build items but when it comes to gameplay items or "hero" items as I think they called them...suddenly they are too difficult to make.

Because they don’t make those things. For the first community stuff pack they shared with everyone that the art assets are outsourced from China. They make the gameplay stuff and they clearly aren’t staffed for it which is why most of the “new” stuff was recycled from something they already made. Sims rakes in millions of dollars and they put it into marketing instead of hiring more staff. Of course hiring people cuts into earnings, which is the only thing that matters these days. I haven’t bought anything for Sims 4 in awhile and I don’t plan on it, because that money doesn’t improve the game it goes towards lame tv show marketing gimmicks.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I feel like all the money EA gave to the marketing department for this tv show SHOULD have been given to developing the game. This game has sold millions of copies, and it already has plenty of advertising. At a certain point, it just screams GREED.
    This TV show just seems unnecessary, and I don't think it will attract any new players. No one outside of the sims community will watch this. Most non-Simmer people flipping the tv will just be like, "another game show, NEXT."

Nothing against your opinion, but I don't think that EA is risking to lose a lot of money. elelunicy made some interesting points about how other media companies have a stake in this show. And a lot of the game changers have thousands of followers on Twitch and YT, so it is likely that their followers will also watch the show. I just don't care about game changers that much - with one exception, because she has been a beacon of positivity and generosity on the forums for many years - so I am just not interested. Anyway, how successful this endeavour will be remains to be seen, in my opinion.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, as someone who literally has a degree in tv production (like the business side of things) and has worked in tv before, all the complaints about where “EA” spending “their” money are misplaced.

This clearly cost almost nothing to make. And the potential return on investment (aside from the benefits of advertising) if the show is even moderately successful more than covers the risk. This show could flop and still break even.

There’s literally no reason for them not to do this, except the potential backlash from people in community who don’t know how reality tv is made. That doesn’t mean it will be good or you should watch it or you’re not allowed to look at it and go “lolWHAT”.

But in terms of questioning the use of funds - what this cost EA was a drop in the bucket and I promise they spend more wastefully on company morale parties and catered lunches. This is fine. This is definitely not the reason you don’t have bunk beds yet or whatever. The two things couldn’t be less related.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited July 2020
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Yeah, as someone who literally has a degree in tv production (like the business side of things) and has worked in tv before, all the complaints about where “EA” spending “their” money are misplaced.

This clearly cost almost nothing to make. And the potential return on investment (aside from the benefits of advertising) even the show is even moderately successful more than covers the risk. This show could flop and still break even.

There’s literally no reason for them not to do this, except the potential backlash from people in community who don’t know how reality tv is made. That doesn’t mean it will be good or you should watch it or you’re not allowed to look at it and go “lolWHAT”.

But in terms of questioning the use of funds - what this cost EA was a drop in the bucket and I promise they spend more wastefully on company morale parties and catered lunches. This is fine. This is definitely not the reason you don’t have bunk beds yet or whatever. The two things couldn’t be less related.

I'm not convinced it cost them "nothing." Money has to be coming from all sides to make an agreement work, from EA, from Buzzfeed, from TBS. And I'm sure EA did contribute money towards this. We don't know how much. I don't think it was a "drop in the bucket."

Why would TBS pick this up anyway? It's not in their financial interest. Do they have an abundance of Gamers watching their channel? Not likely. Their demographic is probably adults and seniors aged 35+. Why would they be interested in this? It literally is not in their financial interest to have this show on their channel because no one will watch it. The fans of Youtubers won't watch it on TBS because most young people don't watch cable tv in the first place, but streaming services. I'm not sure about Buzzfeed, but I feel like like the demographic for this show would prefer to watch this on streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or Youtube, which is free.

It would have been smarter to air this on Cartoon Network or Disney where kids will watch it. TBS is Boomer town, no offense.

Even if they spent as little money on this project as possible, it's still money that could have gone to the Development team to fix the game. And that's the bottom line. EA prefers to give money to marketing the game rather than fixing it.
    The fact that there are this many complaints about it also does it no favors in terms of viewership, and it will likely lower people's opinions of the franchise as a whole.
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    It's going to air on the TBS gaming show ELEAGUE. Which usually have different gaming competitions on it. I don't normally watch but I will because it's the Sims. Who knows maybe we will get access to the items created during the show in a form of a stuff pack.
    edited July 2020
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    It's going to air on the TBS gaming show ELEAGUE. Which usually have different gaming competitions on it. I don't normally watch but I will because it's the Sims. Who knows maybe we will get access to the items created during the show in a form of a stuff pack.

Interesting. Looking at the ELEAGUE website, it seems like it mostly appeals to competitive gamers. I don't think people watching Street Fighter, Overwatch and Rocket League would want to watch a show about the Sims. They'd probably find it dull.
    They should have aired it on Netflix, since it looks closer to the British Bakeoff than a competitive sporting game.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I wonder if they make it into a regular show, maybe it will attract people who play games for money? I read such competitions are popular in other games.
    SnaveXs wrote: »

Interesting. Looking at the ELEAGUE website, it seems like it mostly appeals to competitive gamers. I don't think people watching Street Fighter, Overwatch and Rocket League would want to watch a show about the Sims. They'd probably find it dull.
    They should have aired it on Netflix, since it looks closer to the British Bakeoff than a competitive sporting game.

The thing is........The Sims is not a game to really "compete" with.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I wonder if they make it into a regular show, maybe it will attract people who play games for money? I read such competitions are popular in other games.

That would be disappointing. The Sims has never been a competitive game, it's always been a simulation. EA's been trying to make the Sims a competitive game when it's not so they can make more money from it.
    edited July 2020

This clearly cost almost nothing to make. And the potential return on investment (aside from the benefits of advertising) even the show is even moderately successful more than covers the risk. This show could flop and still break even.

I'm not convinced it cost them "nothing." Money has to be coming from all sides to make an agreement work, from EA, from Buzzfeed, from TBS. And I'm sure EA did contribute money towards this. We don't know how much. I don't think it was a "drop in the bucket."

I didn’t say nothing. I said almost nothing. And that’s based on a years long education into what TV costs to make and where you find the money for it. Your opinion is based on, what, a hunch?
    Why would TBS pick this up anyway? It's not in their financial interest.

Idk if you’ve heard about this, but there’s a global pandemic going on. This was clearly shot prior. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was shot with the intention of being just a streaming series. Its production value and ease of creation is such that between Buzzfeed and EA providing the game and the shooting location, it would easily make its money back just on streaming ad revenue, especially if it’s promoted enough by its many internet-famous cast members. Between pulling in the Buzzfeed Multiplayer viewers and each of the disparate GameChangers communities? This has a built in viewership you don’t even have to seek out.

But THEN we couldn’t make TV anymore. TV sets outside of news are not considered essential businesses. And I’m sure you’ve already noticed, but stations are starving for content. They are running out of new shows and needing to scramble to find anything to fill their time slots. I’m sure Buzzfeed saw an opportunity to shop this around and make even more on it. Wider audience. More ad money. TBS isn’t left with literally nothing but syndication and reruns.
    Even if they spent as little money on this project as possible, it's still money that could have gone to the Development team to fix the game.

It’s not a waste of money if it ends up costing nothing because their minor investment is paid back in revenue and new customers. And with how little it cost to make, that kind of return would be easy. You can’t waste money if you didn’t lose money. And if it makes more money, that’s even better.
    The fact that there are this many complaints about it also does it no favors in terms of viewership, and it will likely lower people's opinions of the franchise as a whole

There is potential truth to this. But even if it ends up being bad marketing because it creates backlash, that won’t change the fact that the backlash is based on faulty logic and incorrect facts regarding how entertainment finance works.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    The thing is........The Sims is not a game to really "compete" with.

I think EA desperately wants it to become a competitive game. Like Fortnite for EA. They already said their would be more than 1 season. They want to distract people from the subpar gameplay by adding in silly competitions.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    So you know how the Game Changers always say "EA didn't pay me, I just really like the game"?
    Well, a hundred grand definitely changes that. Gonna be REAL interesting to see whose opinion actually WAS bought.

Also super fun to see the Marketing department getting this kind of cash to play with while the game itself is developed on a shoestring budget.

Imagine if Eco Lifestyle got a few more weeks of development (divide 100k among the devs, that's probably a month or so of extra time). No more pointless NAPs. No more clay spam. Eco Footprints that actually MATTER, with more cross-pack gameplay like increased odds of GTW diseases in an Industrial footprint, or longer lives in a Green footprint.
    wJbomAo.png

No kidding, a lot of people on twitter are quoting what Maxis said when people asked them about Bunk Beds, and they got the response that they were too expensive to make. But they are fine with having a TV show and giving away $100,000.

I know that there are different budgets for game development and marketing... but I also understand why the community on twitter are not happy about it.

Sadly It appears that I think it is being quoted the wrong way with an incomplete context. Bunk Beds are expensive to make in a Stuff Pack. All of the times that we heard the gurus to tell us about bunkbeds it is always in a stuffpack interview (Kids Room Stuff, Tiny Living Stuff) and was always mentioned that we need to look into EP and GP if we want Bunkbeds. The reason they get those response is because when bunk beds become a topic, it is always in a Stuff Pack. Yet it was spreading that the team have no enough budget for doing bunk beds even if they really can in EP, GP, or even Free Updates.

Remember Ladders and Different Stair Types? When SimGuruGraham (the Stuff Pack lead at that time) was asked about it he mentiones the same thing, Stuff pack don't have the budget to do that and look into EP and GP. Now we had Ladders and different types of stairs. It is just they cannot add those things in the Stuff Pack like he said, there are no gameplay engineers that are working on the Stuff Pack.

Remember how we were given that same lame excuse for lounge chairs and when they finally made their grand debut they didn’t even function the way which supposedly made them so hard to make in the first place? Pardon me for not falling for the same excuses for the millionteenth time. EA is one of the largest publishers in the world; the constant budgetary issues are literally excuses at this point. Doesn’t take 6 years to fix that, especially when that excuse is being tossed around for mundane stuff they’ve known people have spent years asking for.

With Bunk Beds for Tiny Living I can understand because it was only a Stuff Pack...but I agree with your point about lounge chairs. No idea what happened there, they said they were so difficult to make and when they finally added them in Island Living they were nothing like they said.

What happened? They tossed out a plausible sounding excuse so players would stop talking about it and then expected everyone to forget what they said when they didn’t do the work they claimed needed to be done.

TL wasn’t just a stuff pack it was the 16th stuff pack. You’d think by now they’d have a general idea of what kind of gameplay is “too much” for that kind of DLC.

I agree with you there, the development for the sims4 feels so limited sometimes. They have no problems making loads of CAS and Build items but when it comes to gameplay items or "hero" items as I think they called them...suddenly they are too difficult to make.

Because they don’t make those things. For the first community stuff pack they shared with everyone that the art assets are outsourced from China. They make the gameplay stuff and they clearly aren’t staffed for it which is why most of the “new” stuff was recycled from something they already made. Sims rakes in millions of dollars and they put it into marketing instead of hiring more staff. Of course hiring people cuts into earnings, which is the only thing that matters these days. I haven’t bought anything for Sims 4 in awhile and I don’t plan on it, because that money doesn’t improve the game it goes towards lame tv show marketing gimmicks.

I knew they used outside contractors for concept art, but I always thought the assets themselves were made in-house. Do you have a link?
    wJbomAo.png
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited July 2020

That would be disappointing. The Sims has never been a competitive game, it's always been a simulation. EA's been trying to make the Sims a competitive game when it's not so they can make more money from it.

It is easy to tell who won in a first person shooter but in the sims... I am afraid it is going to be very subjective who the winners are. Unless they are going to have some sort of voting system, but that could lead to that only the gamechangers with the most subs will win then.
    edited July 2020

It is easy to tell who won in a first person shooter but in the sims... I am afraid it is going to be very subjective who the winners are. Unless they are going to have some sort of voting system, but that could lead to that only the gamechangers with the most subs will win then.

This was clearly shot a while ago, so if there had been community voting we would have heard about it.

Like all subjective reality competitions (baking, tattoos, fashion, etc) that aren’t determined by audience vote, I imagine the winners will be determined subjectively by judges. Giving the audience its own source of drama and entertainment, as viewers can then gripe on their couch about how the judges are clearly wrong and go on Twitter about it and create free press for the show.

Sometimes I stream.

• elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited July 2020
    So you know how the Game Changers always say "EA didn't pay me, I just really like the game"?
    Well, a hundred grand definitely changes that. Gonna be REAL interesting to see whose opinion actually WAS bought.

When GCs say EA didn’t pay them, they mean that EA did not pay for that specific video. EA might have paid them for other videos.

Sponsoring always works on a per video basis. If a video is sponsored, they’re required by law to disclose it. You can easily tell which videos are sponsored and which ones are not.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    elelunicy wrote: »

When GCs say EA didn’t pay them, they mean that EA did not pay for that specific video. EA might have paid them for other videos.

Sponsoring always works on a per video basis. If a video is sponsored, they’re required by law to disclose it. You can easily tell which videos are sponsored and which ones are not.

Thanks, Mister Literal.

If EA gave you $100,000, it would colour your perception of their products. Their opinion would be 100% bought.
    wJbomAo.png
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Thanks, Mister Literal.

If EA gave you $100,000, it would colour your perception of their products. Their opinion would be 100% bought.

I probably will never take any of their feedback seriously after starring in this show. I'm honestly surprised someone as critical as Plumbella is in this. I wonder if she will feel comfortable being as vocal as she is after the show comes out?

Thanks, Mister Literal.

I probably will never take any of their feedback seriously after starring in this show. I'm honestly surprised someone as critical as Plumbella is in this. I wonder if she will feel comfortable being as vocal as she is after the show comes out?

Honestly I am sorta surprised too.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

In the Case of lounge chairs I agree. That was dissapointing too. So Much. Can't even read a book in a lounge chair.

Thanks, Mister Literal.

I don't think it's the negative feedback we have to watch out for, so much as the positive.
    Is there anybody who's super positive about the game? Maybe they recently got a nose job? Boob job? Are their teeth looking whiter? Maybe not long after Sims Camp they went on a super-expensive vacation?
    wJbomAo.png
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited July 2020

This was clearly shot a while ago, so if there had been community voting we would have heard about it.

Like all subjective reality competitions (baking, tattoos, fashion, etc) that aren’t determined by audience vote, I imagine the winners will be determined subjectively by judges. Giving the audience its own source of drama and entertainment, as viewers can then gripe on their couch about how the judges are clearly wrong and go on Twitter about it and create free press for the show.

I can imagine people are going to be mad when their favorite game changer is voted out. It looked like the jury consisted of some people from Maxis and they don't really put in their best effort with some of their houses that they release for their packs... so I hope that the game changers will be judged fairly.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

Nothing against your opinion, but I don't think that EA is risking to lose a lot of money. elelunicy made some interesting points about how other media companies have a stake in this show. And a lot of the game changers have thousands of followers on Twitch and YT, so it is likely that their followers will also watch the show. I just don't care about game changers that much - with one exception, because she has been a beacon of positivity and generosity on the forums for many years - so I am just not interested. Anyway, how successful this endeavour will be remains to be seen, in my opinion.

I must say there are discussions in the internet of how the development budget for EA games isn't as huge compared 10 years ago. EA games due to live services are increasing in profit but the Development Cost are getting lower than ever which is sad. Other than The Sims it is also evident with other EA games that the Developers are trying to make AAA games at low budget. Ghost Games released Heat, but as a member and always active on Need For Speed Reddit, it was always evident to us how Small Ghost Games is, and how they have to create a complete AAA Racing game with just Two Years. Not to mention this results to buggy releases. Unlike The past where Sport games have some major addition every year now it is just sad. EA Madden 21 Trailer's Selling point was " User Controlled Celebrations".