Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Spark'd? No thanks!!

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2020
    Personally, I avoid Reality TV like Covid-19, but I think this will have an audience. For some reason though - and this might be because I read some of the replies on Twitter - I think this will be mostly watched by other game changers and aspiring game changers. I am not upset about it though, I am used to disliking many things. :D

People are really not happy about this over on twitter.
  • KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Personally, I avoid Reality TV like Covid-19, but I think this will have an audience. For some reason though - and this might be because I read some of the replies on Twitter - I think this will be mostly watched by other game changers and aspiring game changers. I am not upset about it though, I am used to disliking many things. :D

Good. I mean.....who thought this was a good idea?
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It’s not a good idea. Talk about poking a bear.
    Read the room gurus!

Also, it’s alienating the non American fans who may want to watch.

But they did say they were going to chase fads. They weren’t lying.
    Read the room gurus!

I am an American, but still yeah, why is this just America? :( Way to make your overseas customers feel real good.

No kidding, a lot of people on twitter are quoting what Maxis said when people asked about Bunk Beds, that they were too expensive to make. But they are fine with having a TV show and giving away $100,000.

I know that there are different budgets for game development and marketing... but I also understand why the community on twitter are not happy about it.

Why couldn't the people who wanted to create in invest in this TV show, just infest that money to the game?
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    Read the room gurus!

I am an American, but still yeah, why is this just America? :( Way to make your overseas customers feel real good.

TBS is not the only place to view the show, I believe you can watch it on Buzzfeed’s channel. I can see why they thought it was a good idea given how many players do love challenges, using the game to tell stories on YouTube/tumblr and the popularity of competitive reality shows. Like anything execution is key, I am intrigued enough to give it a chance.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

No kidding, a lot of people on twitter are quoting what Maxis said when people asked them about Bunk Beds, and they got the response that they were too expensive to make. But they are fine with having a TV show and giving away $100,000.

I know that there are different budgets for game development and marketing... but I also understand why the community on twitter are not happy about it.

Sadly It appears that I think it is being quoted the wrong way with an incomplete context. Bunk Beds are expensive to make in a Stuff Pack. All of the times that we heard the gurus to tell us about bunkbeds it is always in a stuffpack interview (Kids Room Stuff, Tiny Living Stuff) and was always mentioned that we need to look into EP and GP if we want Bunkbeds. The reason they get those response is because when bunk beds become a topic, it is always in a Stuff Pack. Yet it was spreading that the team have no enough budget for doing bunk beds even if they really can in EP, GP, or even Free Updates.

Remember Ladders and Different Stair Types? When SimGuruGraham (the Stuff Pack lead at that time) was asked about it he mentiones the same thing, Stuff pack don't have the budget to do that and look into EP and GP. Now we had Ladders and different types of stairs. It is just they cannot add those things in the Stuff Pack like he said, there are no gameplay engineers that are working on the Stuff Pack.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited July 2020
    trophy wrote: »
    Read the room gurus!

TBS is not the only place to view the show, I believe you can watch it on Buzzfeed’s channel.

Many French players don't watch Maxis livestream because there is no subtitle or dubbing.
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    trophy wrote: »
    Read the room gurus!

TBS is not the only place to view the show, I believe you can watch it on Buzzfeed’s channel.

Many French players don't watch Maxis livestream because there is no subtitle or dubbing.

I think it would be on their YouTube channel where you can the language subtitles. I was able to change it for the announcement trailer.

Gallery ID Pickledtiara
    edited July 2020
    TS1299 wrote: »

No kidding, a lot of people on twitter are quoting what Maxis said when people asked them about Bunk Beds, and they got the response that they were too expensive to make. But they are fine with having a TV show and giving away $100,000.

Sadly It appears that I think it is being quoted the wrong way with an incomplete context. Bunk Beds are expensive to make in a Stuff Pack. All of the times that we heard the gurus to tell us about bunkbeds it is always in a stuffpack interview (Kids Room Stuff, Tiny Living Stuff) and was always mentioned that we need to look into EP and GP if we want Bunkbeds. The reason they get those response is because when bunk beds become a topic, it is always in a Stuff Pack. Yet it was spreading that the team have no enough budget for doing bunk beds even if they really can in EP, GP, or even Free Updates.

Remember Ladders and Different Stair Types? When SimGuruGraham (the Stuff Pack lead at that time) was asked about it he mentiones the same thing, Stuff pack don't have the budget to do that and look into EP and GP. Now we had Ladders and different types of stairs. It is just they cannot add those things in the Stuff Pack like he said, there are no gameplay engineers that are working on the Stuff Pack.

I am not arguing against you. Good that you mentioned that. There was some very helpful topics about it here on the forum that were posted back then so I understand that for Tiny Living, they did not have the right people available to make Bunk Beds.

The thing that I find worrying though is that Maxis is making it a bit too easy for people who are already not happy with the game to find reasons to keep being unhappy because there is such a huge disconnect between their marketing and what they make for the game. Sometimes it feels like they are using more money to promote their game than actually making content for it.
    edited July 2020

Remember how we were given that same lame excuse for lounge chairs and when they finally made their grand debut they didn’t even function the way which supposedly made them so hard to make in the first place? Pardon me for not falling for the same excuses for the millionteenth time. EA is one of the largest publishers in the world; the constant budgetary issues are literally excuses at this point. Doesn’t take 6 years to fix that, especially when that excuse is being tossed around for mundane stuff they’ve known people have spent years asking for.

With Bunk Beds for Tiny Living I can understand because it was only a Stuff Pack...but I agree with your point about the lounge chairs. No idea what happened there, they said they were so difficult to make and when they finally added them they were nothing like they said they would be.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member

Well, there is some enthusiasm, but like I said mostly from other game changers and those who aspire to be. Which is fine, I have no problem with that. But the majority of Simmers, who just want to play their game, share their gameyplay and creations with the community and wish for TS4 to improve, I don't think this show sounds that intriguing. I also thought that it was interesting that one of the CC creators I really like - Nolan-Sims - decided to announce today that they are leaving the Game Changers program. EA is taking things in a different direction marketing-wise and these changes will not appeal to everyone. But that was to be expected. I won't watch the show just because game shows and Reality TV are literally the most boring genres of entertainment to me, however, I am mildly interested in the challenges for us regular Simmers and seeing how that plays out.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...

Well, there is some enthusiasm, but like I said mostly from other game changers and those who aspire to be. Which is fine, I have no problem with that. But the majority of Simmers, who just want to play their game, share their gameyplay and creations with the community and wish for TS4 to improve, I don't think this show sounds that intriguing. I also thought that it was interesting that one of the CC creators I really like - Nolan-Sims - decided to announce today that they are leaving the Game Changers program. EA is taking things in a different direction marketing-wise and these changes will not appeal to everyone. But that was to be expected. I won't watch the show just because game shows and Reality TV are literally the most boring genres of entertainment to me, however, I am mildly interested in the challenges for us regular Simmers and seeing how that plays out.

Ah no really?? :'( That's a shame I liked them.

They will still create CC, they just don't want to be part of the program anymore. I don't see how that would affect you negatively.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I like how people here just assume that EA is paying for that $100k, when in fact this is a joint project between EA, TBS, Buzzfeed Multiplayer, Tuner Sports (the show is under Tuner Sports' brand ELEAGUE, and TBS has been airing ELEAGUE for years).

1. TBS is definitely paying Tuner Sports to air their shows, in turn TBS will make its money back as the shows are aired with commercials.
    2. Tuner Sports has definitely paid for the show's production, as this show is part of their lineup.
    3. Buzzfeed Multiplayer almost certainly has paid for the streaming rights of the show, in turn Buzzfeed Multiplayer will make its money back from YouTube ads.

According to Variety, both Turner Sports and BuzzFeed are hoping the show would do well, so they certainly has a stake in this.
    Both Turner Sports and BuzzFeed are hoping the “Sims” fanbase will drive viewers to check out the show on their respective platforms. Last month, EA said “The Sims 4” hit a peak high of nearly 10 million unique monthly players in the past quarter, with 2.5 million joining in the previous two months.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/sims-sparkd-reality-competition-tbs-buzzfeed-1234701044/
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

Remember how we were given that same lame excuse for lounge chairs and when they finally made their grand debut they didn’t even function the way which supposedly made them so hard to make in the first place? Pardon me for not falling for the same excuses for the millionteenth time. EA is one of the largest publishers in the world; the constant budgetary issues are literally excuses at this point. Doesn’t take 6 years to fix that, especially when that excuse is being tossed around for mundane stuff they’ve known people have spent years asking for.

With Bunk Beds for Tiny Living I can understand because it was only a Stuff Pack...but I agree with your point about lounge chairs. No idea what happened there, they said they were so difficult to make and when they finally added them in Island Living they were nothing like they said.

What happened? They tossed out a plausible sounding excuse so players would stop talking about it and then expected everyone to forget what they said when they didn’t do the work they claimed needed to be done.

TL wasn’t just a stuff pack it was the 16th stuff pack. You’d think by now they’d have a general idea of what kind of gameplay is “too much” for that kind of DLC.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

Her response was interesting. She basically said she couldn't work for a company that "doesn't reflect her morals." And she said that the they care more about investments than their customers. No surprise really, and I don't blame her.
    I'm surprised that certain GC aren't in the TV show, like James Turner, Deligracy, etc. Did they refuse to be a part of it?
    bixters wrote: »

Her response was interesting. She basically said she couldn't work for a company that "doesn't reflect her morals." And she said that the they care more about investments than their customers. No surprise really, and I don't blame her.
    I'm surprised that certain GC aren't in the TV show, like James Turner, Deligracy, etc. Did they refuse to be a part of it?

There will be more episodes, they'll likely show up at some point.

we all try ...

With Bunk Beds for Tiny Living I can understand because it was only a Stuff Pack...but I agree with your point about lounge chairs. No idea what happened there, they said they were so difficult to make and when they finally added them in Island Living they were nothing like they said.

What happened? They tossed out a plausible sounding excuse so players would stop talking about it and then expected everyone to forget what they said when they didn’t do the work they claimed needed to be done.

TL wasn’t just a stuff pack it was the 16th stuff pack. You’d think by now they’d have a general idea of what kind of gameplay is “too much” for that kind of DLC.

I agree with you there, the development for the sims4 feels so limited sometimes. They have no problems making loads of CAS and Build items but when it comes to gameplay items or "hero" items as I think they called them...suddenly they are too difficult to make.

They will still create CC, they just don't want to be part of the program anymore. I don't see how that would affect you negatively.

OH I am sorry I read that they were leaving GC and the sims series as whole. My bad ^^.
    edited July 2020
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I like how people here just assume that EA is paying for that $100k, when in fact this is a joint project between EA, TBS, Buzzfeed Multiplayer, Tuner Sports (the show is under Tuner Sports' brand ELEAGUE, and TBS has been airing ELEAGUE for years).

1. TBS is definitely paying Tuner Sports to air their shows, in turn TBS will make its money back as the shows are aired with commercials.
    2. Tuner Sports has definitely paid for the show's production, as this show is part of their lineup.
    3. Buzzfeed Multiplayer almost certainly has paid for the streaming rights of the show, in turn Buzzfeed Multiplayer will make its money back from YouTube ads.

According to Variety, both Turner Sports and BuzzFeed are hoping the show would do well, so they certainly has a stake in this.
    Both Turner Sports and BuzzFeed are hoping the “Sims” fanbase will drive viewers to check out the show on their respective platforms. Last month, EA said “The Sims 4” hit a peak high of nearly 10 million unique monthly players in the past quarter, with 2.5 million joining in the previous two months.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/sims-sparkd-reality-competition-tbs-buzzfeed-1234701044/

Buzzfeed have made a lot of videos with the sims4 which have been very popular, like the 100 Baby Challenge with Kelsey Impicciche. So it makes sense for them to work together like this...

I wish they could cooperate and innovate when it comes to game development though. But they seem to stick a lot to outsourcing there to save money instead.

OH I am sorry I read that they were leaving GC and the sims series as whole. My bad ^^.

That would have indeed been very unfortunate. Nolan-Sims creates lovely CC. But it is definitely just the program they're leaving behind, not the game. I have a lot of respect for that choice.

we all try ...