Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Three Questions About Homeworld Universities

ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
I am putting together a homeworld college campus and so far most everything works: enrolling your active sims, enrolling inactive sims, leveling 7 of them up to level 2 student for each of the 7 majors to be professors, installing university rabbithole rugs, creating a student union with class room for the active class lectures and student service booth for the Meet & Greet, installing a nerd shop, university hangout and library for specific majors' class activities, and graduation.

I have three questions though:

1) Student Union Meet & Greet: When I put it in the campus lot and assigned the whole lot as a student union and added the lot event marker, the active lecture classes did show up, but the professors didn't. Also the meet & greet was kind of wonky. So now I converted the home across the street from the campus as separate student union lot, I also put the lot event marker like I saw in the original Student Union from the Sims University world.

The Meet & Greet works for the most part - I can get all the freebies from the student services booth, read the welcome and curriculum messages and even talk to a professor (although it wasn't the professor assigned to my sim's major - the other professors may have been there, but I only tried it once)

My question is: In the original student union in the sims university world, the student services booth automatically appears during the day of the Meet & Greet (first day of semester) and then no longer appears for the rest of semester. How do I make that happen in my homeworld? Does it have to do with that lot event marker? I heard about "second layouts" in build mode but I don't know what that is? I have read about the seasonal marker but I haven't found anything about using the lot event marker. When I shift+ctrl+click or shift+click, none of the options give any hint of how to use it unlike the seasonal marker.

2) Graduation Invitations: My sim finished his major and was graduating on the last Saturday of the semester. The notification to invite friends and family popped up. I tried to click on it, but no menu popped up for me to officially invite anyone. I'm assuming it's because they're all already in this world, but since there was no official way, they weren't automatically pushed to come to the graduation. Is there a way to fix this?

3) Cap and Gown: So my sim went to his graduation anyway but the problem was, he didn't change into cap and gown for the ceremony. I did have careers filtered out in MasterController and wondering if this might be the cause for him not switching to it? Is there a way to fix this as well? Would I have to put the cap & gown outfit together manually?

Everything else works though and I really love it so much! He even got to choose the sixth trait for graduating. I could have gotten a seventh from one of the social cliques but I didn't care about trying to level that up. I just need to see if I can get the last three things I talked about fixed somehow. Please help if you can, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2020
    This may sound like it's stretching things a bit, but other than the event marker issue these are really a mod related questions in that Homeworld Universities are an optional product of the NRaas Careers mod. Might be mistaken, but it's possible you will get more and better answers if you were to cross-post this question to NRaas or MTS than you might here.

I think I know two of the answers myself actually, but I've never designed nor played a Homeworld Uni so it would probably be better to hear from someone with more (or indeed any) experience with them. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Okay, I will repost this (not as wordy though) to NRAAS then, thanks!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    So I went to the NRAAS site and C-Dark answered all my questions and even gave more great tips! (Thank you so much, C-Dark!) I would like to write up how to set up a homeworld university here because having to look for all the info took SO LONG.

I want people to be able to set up their homeworld universities as quickly as possible and have it work right away. Because once it's all set up, it's honestly so much fun! I really enjoyed having a campus in Isle of Sims III and even more happy about the prospect of being able to add a campus to any of the other worlds I play! However, when researching, I got my information in bits and pieces from all over the internet: here, at Mod the Sims and at NRAAS. It was such a pain! No wonder I don't see too many people placing a campus in their homeworlds! Which is a shame because it really is so much fun and so much more convenient since you can still manage everyone in a household and even have each generation of a town going to college together.

So I would like to know where exactly I can post a complete tutorial on it in the TS3 section? There are other tutorials I would like to write and post besides this one too.

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I don't know if this helps or not in your endeavor to create a more fully built out tutorial, but are you familiar with our FAQ on the subject?
    https://www.nraas.net/community/Careers-FAQ#How-do-I-set-up-a-Homeworld-University
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    I don't know if this helps or not in your endeavor to create a more fully built out tutorial, but are you familiar with our FAQ on the subject?
    https://www.nraas.net/community/Careers-FAQ#How-do-I-set-up-a-Homeworld-University

Yes, I know about that FAQ. It was one of the things I read to help me put the homeworld campus together, but it's still pretty sparce in a way. I did learn which mods were essential and stuff. For my first test run, I was able to enroll my active student and also his classmates (the entire young adult population ). He enrolled in the Business major which only needed the library for the class activity so setting up for that was no problem. But for that first test run, I only had the rabbithole classes and the class activity show up on my sim's schedule - no active lecture.

I also had problems enrolling the inactives. I didn't realize that I needed to enroll each one individually, that you can't group them together for faster enrolling. That wasn't mentioned anywhere.

The FAQ didn't mention how to have professors or how to setup the Meet & Greet or even that specific class activities meet in specific lots. I found the professor info here from one of your replies and also at the NRAAS forums. C-Dark on a separate thread also wrote up a way to create a perpetual household full of professors so that you won't need to keep assigning them for your generational play.

There was also very little information about the Meet & Greet. The little silver ball was intimidating to me! I accessed the menu on it but I didn't know what any of it meant. I didn't want to click on anything in case it might mess up my savegame so I didn't want to test anything out by clicking on them until someone explained what they were.

So it's little things like this that make TS3 kind of intimidating to a lot of people. I can understand why TS2 people didn't like it much because it DOES have so many more features that can be considered complex to people who are not technical minded.

And that's a huge shame because people are missing out on how much fun having a homeworld university is. I especially love that you don't have to use those HUGE rabbitholes - that you can design your own universities now any way you want. You can have all the rabbitholes in one lot or separately, but in any size you choose. Because even though I loved going to the university world, I was getting bored of the view. I wanted different looking ones - if TS3 has CAW to make different worlds, why not have the ability to make different looking campuses and have them in your own town?

It took about a month of off-and-on testing over and over and researching posts which I don't think most people want to waste their time figuring out. So that's why I basically want to write a step-by-step tutorial that spells everything out that I wish someone wrote for me, with pictures and everything!