Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does sims 2 have that is lacking in sims 4

BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
I'm a sims 2 fan but now I have sims 3 I find it hard to choose between the two. I also have sims 4 and a lot of the expansions but really find it lacking in something but can't work out what it is. It should be a great game and has some really nice features but I find I can only play it for about half an hour then I've had enough but I can play for ages on the other two.

What do other simmers think?

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I haven’t played sims 2, well, only on console but given the differences between the two versions back then, I don’t know if it would qualify as playing it....

I’ve read a lot of comments though from simmers wo have played TS2 and I can’t believe all the stuff TS2 had that sims 4 doesn’t have! I mean I saw you could even pick turn on and turn offs for your sims!
    From what people say it really sounds to me like TS2 had more gameplay and that sims were more fleshed out.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2020
    Apart from the minor details I think mainly it's the empty personality, overtaking emotions system and dumb AI.
    I love sims 4 for death but can only play with autonomy off. I'm a story teller with lots of imagination so that works for me. I get list for hours.
    But turn the AI on and boom they seem to do all kinds of random dumb things just for the sake of doing something. And it drives me nuts.

Sims 3 personalities (that's the one I play also so I using sims 3 as an example.) And AI seems smarter. And my sims 3 childish sim is always being a big kid, soon as we go out he runs to the swings, soon as we get home I hear bubbling laugher. I look over he's having a blast in the water sprinkler. He's always such a big kid all the time it makes me smile.
    My serious sims remain serious they are not over taken by emotions.
    It really makes it fun to watch these sims.

It's the opposite in sims 4. My childish sim at the most seems to play with with the dollhouse or a toy but feels empty headed and lifeless apart from that. And doesn't seem very childish. Traits are not defined and detailed enough.

And the lack of drama, fear,horror etc. Like sims 2 amazing ghosts and creepy grave yards. I believe the sims 4 was originally suppose to replicate a barbie dream house. The Said themselves it was a "safe space"
    And that's a big part of the problem in my opinion.

Like I said I love all sims so I'm not bashing it. Just answering the question 🙂
    If you have a big imagination you would really enjoy 4 also. It has to be played differently than the older ones.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    As already mentioned - Sims 2 sims actually have a personality! And you do not need a worded buff to pop up and tell you what they are feeling - it is obvious from their facial expressions and actions. And what they do makes sense, especially according tot their personality - they do not beat the tar out of someone and then smile and chat - they are angry at the other sim for a while and the other sim is angry too and kicks the trash can or steals the newspaper - getting caught cheating has consequences - shy sims dance different then outgoing sims - outgoing sims go in the hot tub nude - etc. They also have memories that actually mean something and come into play many times. It is much more detailed in all the actions they do and it is a lot funnier! I also love the way they look at their creators (us) and complain when we make them do things against their personality or they express thanks when we have them do things in accordance with their personality.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Memories, better lifetime goals, actuall substancial wants, fears and even mental breakdowns. You want to play a simulation game the The sims 2 is the game for you.
    You want to play with puppets then head for the Sims 4.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • LeosimsLeosims Posts: 47 Member
    Shorter Kids and Teens?

The sims 4 Have Taller Teens and Taller Kids. Teens Are the Same height As Adults but They have Pudgy Faces and Fewer Sliders To represent Youth. That´s Why You can Play your Teens with a Family which is Better than Having a Single Teen :(
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Animations. I personally prefer Sims 4 but Sims 2 has Wonderful animations, that look more fluid and natural. And stuff between two sims, like kids dancing on parents feet etc. They are just done sooooooo well!
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited July 2020
    @Cinebar I agree with mostly everything you said here, but the speech bubbles with a face in it with hearts above it don't mean sims are in love with or crushing on one another. They just mean your sim has chemistry with them and is attracted to them.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    Duvelina wrote: »
    @Cinebar I agree with mostly everything you said here, but the speech bubbles with a face in it with hearts above it don't mean sims are in love with or crushing on one another. They just mean your sim has chemistry with them and is attracted to them.

Beg to differ. Fainting is an interest, hearts are more dynamic and means she really wants to be with him. Faining fainting is more general, like ooh, I have an interest, but may not try to get to know them etc. Either way, TS4 doesn't have AI.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Duvelina wrote: »

Beg to differ. Fainting is an interest, hearts are more dynamic and means she really wants to be with him. Faining fainting is more general, like ooh, I have an interest, but may not try to get to know them etc. Either way, TS4 doesn't have AI.

From my understanding it's the attraction system (acquaintance, crush, love, etc).

I think the fainting is due to aspiration among some other things that I'm drawing a blank on - Sims will swoon at Romance Sims for instance.

It could be it takes a decent bit of attraction to generate those heart farts so using that to determine who your Sim wants to be with wouldn't be an incorrect usage. So I don't think your interpretation of hearts is wrong.

Whether it's their own attraction or gossip about someone else's attraction is the kicker. As I do know Sims can gossip about that.

As for me, Sims 2 Sims have personality. Two Sims affected by the first born glitch/effect can behave completely different. Even when your own dice do not cooperate and gives them the same aspiration on top of the game's randomness giving them the same personality.

I haven't seen a Sim in Sims 4 show so much personality. Which isn't helped by the limited number of traits a Sim can have nor is it helped by the overpowering emotion system. The traits they do have don't even affect the actions they take while under the influence of an emotion.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    The hearts in a speech bubble with a Sims face could come from Gossiping/talking with another Sim. This is how it shows with children. A parent might have talked about it with them - at the dinner table is where it usually happens in my game. It's not always attraction, is all I'm saying. :)
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    Since i just commented on what i like about sims 4, i guess it is only right to say what i dont like. You guys already said it, it is the AI and the personality of the sims themselves. The sims in sims 2 had an impressive and immersive level of depth. I honestly havent played sims 2 in a very long while so i am sure there might be other things i am forgetting, but this one is the most obvious to me.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Bessieboo wrote: »
    I'm a sims 2 fan but now I have sims 3 I find it hard to choose between the two. I also have sims 4 and a lot of the expansions but really find it lacking in something but can't work out what it is. It should be a great game and has some really nice features but I find I can only play it for about half an hour then I've had enough but I can play for ages on the other two.

What do other simmers think?

You've answered your own question. 😊 Play the versions you most enjoy. You may feel obligated to play 4 since you've paid for "a lot of the expansions" but why force yourself when you clearly prefer 2 and 3? 🤔
    How exciting you're discovering the wonders of TS2! Please keep us updated on your progress. 🙂
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Interesting posts. I began playing TS2 Ultimate Collection...2 days ago. Never played TS2 before. The reason I’m getting into it is because I want to explore and understand the very AI mechanics that a lot of folks on the forum are talking about. Im familiar with TS3 & 4.

I didn’t get many hours out of TS2 yet: In fact I’m only just figuring out how the game works, the UI etc. It reminds me of sims 3, but it seems more complex.

Anyway I just noticed my sim doesn’t have any food in his fridge. 0 food supplies. How am I going to get proper food? Please, don’t tell me, I want to figure this stuff out for myself. But I like it. For now he’s surviving on bags of chips and soda cans. It’s grand. Apparently I can skip off the pounds with my skipping rope. That’s how I like it!

I may call Brandi Broke in awhile because there seems to be chemistry between herself and my sim. Chemistry you say? But there’s this other girl...Rebecca Something. And my sim’s memory claims he has even kissed a Mystery sim the other day. That must have happend when I wasn’t looking. The rascal.
    Apparently he’s also best friends with her. Who and Where is she?! How will I find out? I don’t even know what she looks like! Don’t tell me, I’ll figure it out. That and the 0 food supply.

This is all very exciting and my sim may be dead before I solve it all, but at least It keeps me hooked.
    At least my friend shows an interest in others. Shows an interest you say? Well now TS4....
    It’s a good start. Let’s make sure he survives.

So far I like the chemistry feature and the incredible amount of social interactions the sim can perform. And the absence of a mobile phone...

All this stuff will keep me going for a while and as a player it makes me happy having to learn again. I’m actually learning to understand the game. It makes me feel more intelligent as a player. I never felt I had to learn TS4. Its kinda there for you isn’t it? Im not saying it’s good or bad, but it’s something I observe. I’m not from a generation where everything was handed to me on a plate, so maybe it’s easier to spot these kind of things. Hey, I’m not old. But I’m probably old.

Anyway, my sim just stuffed his face with whatever left over snack there is in his fridge. The poor lad is hungry. And I still don’t know how to fill the fridge with nutritious food..Do I actually have to send him to the shop?....

I can't tell you how to get more food. lol You didn't want to know. :D Good luck! The mystery Sim to some is considered the maker of Sims. Like a creator or god. Or maybe it's you. Some have many ideas exactly who the mystery Sim was supposed to be. But here's a tidbit, some complained years ago they didn't like that in the memory system so they asked Maxis to remove it. So they did. But then some requested they put it back in, lol, so they did. Some Sims will have this memory, some won't because of the way they removed it, then added it back in.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    I can't tell you how to get more food. lol You didn't want to know. :D Good luck! The mystery Sim to some is considered the maker of Sims. Like a creator or god. Or maybe it's you. Some have many ideas exactly who the mystery Sim was supposed to be. But here's a tidbit, some complained years ago they didn't like that in the memory system so they asked Maxis to remove it. So they did. But then some requested they put it back in, lol, so they did. Some Sims will have this memory, some won't because of the way they removed it, then added it back in.

Well...I did solve the 0 foodsupply issue: I managed to get my sim to call a taxi and travel to the actual grocery store. It’s a Non-rabbit hole lot! That’s a first. Well for me that is. I love the little shopping basket.

As for the mystery sim... Are you saying it will remain a mystery forever?...Not a chance. I’ll find that girl no matter what. B)
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 That's not the only way to get food. You can also get it from your home lot. I'll leave it to you to figure out how since you seem to like that.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    @Duvelina wrote: »
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 That's not the only way to get food. You can also get it from your home lot. I'll leave it to you to figure out how since you seem to like that.

I believe I just did. He got his groceries delivered!
    Yeah! It's so much fun seeing others discovering and enjoying gameplay features. No matter what version you're playing.
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Haha! I am glad you are having fun solving the mystery of how things work. I enjoy that part too, but i admit that i cheated a few times. I would love to hear more about what you think of it, and the AI and all these kinds of stuff, when you feel like you are ready to give your opinions.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yeah I haven't played The Sims 2 in a while since you know it is just a bit old especially when you have been playing it for 10 years but I remember having a lot of trouble trying to figure out few things like where to find secret lots, treasures, how to get into private school. There were even things I didn't know existed, not gonna say what but sometimes with The Sims 2 you really need to keep an eye open for the most crazy things.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?