Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If you were going to play a decade from the 20th century, which would it be and why?

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

If you were going to play a decade from the 20th century, which would it be and why? 106 votes

1900s and/or 1910s
16%
RebeccaThurstondavina1221taydevstephanie132392DaravifoxybillyIvyeyedannaliese39blur0seRedShoe7thenightcourtAtreya33MondayNorthDakotaGamerDianesimsFrubblesHappyssummer 17 votes
1920s and/or 1930s
21%
Jaline33alan650111Colorist40CamkatCorkysPetalsStrangerthanfruitsbasket101Mindofyduhboy2u2LenaDietersAnnLee87BatmanFanGirlOnverserThePlumbobThePinkBookGirlEvie0602WolfiumSERVERFRAStarDreamerSimAlexandria 23 votes
1940s and/or 1950s
13%
crocobauraHowGreatThouArtalanmichael1GwastenMicaladybreidbixtersMoonfoxNightcrySims4MagicalTalesHermitgirlValeahMarduc_PlaysDaWaterRatKimmerKrueger 14 votes
1960s and/or 1970s
23%
catmom1987zorba2357Martinvelanorbretonloubylouloustilljustme2akaniki0CellardwellerKarababy52ryttu3kNationalPokedexSo_MoneyLiELFthatsnotswegjoRN1414birdonawireKoteykalogionLeahmiller2006Kellogg_J_Kellogg 25 votes
1980s and/or 1990s
25%
GoldmoldarIsb917haneulJestTrugoodcakebaker62Lizzychicagohunniboo1KhrisstynepapertongueSailorCetiToddly13ChadSims2EnkiSchmidtSimmons33FurSimsOfficialHopeyStarrohmyohmyperagogoInuMiroLoverFunandots 27 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    1920s and/or 1930s
    Anything from 1900-1940 really.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    1960s and/or 1970s
    I chose 1960s because I actually have a hippie family in my game that I love. But I tend to make all kinds of retro households.

I've got a rockabilly household that's very 50s based, I've got several Victorians (one of my favorite eras, I probably should have chosen the 1900s answer) and I've had a very 80s household with CC. I've also had some Renaissance Sims.

I guess I actually prefer retro households to modern ones.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    1960s and/or 1970s
    1960s-1970s is what I would play if there was a music pack. I want to do a folk music inspired save.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    1900s and/or 1910s
    I am most interested in the early 20th century, the first decade which still feels close to the 19th century.

The fifties also could be fun to play.
    I have less interest in everything more recent than the fifties.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    1920s and/or 1930s
    I like the roaring 20s & the depression era.

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    1940s and/or 1950s

The old hollywood glamour, big cars, gangsters, rockabilly fashion and music

• Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    1920s and/or 1930s
    I reeeealy loved Roaring Heights from TS3, The team that put that together obviously put in a lot of effort and research. In truth, I would be happy with any of them. I'm fascinated by the daily lives of people from different eras.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Any decade from the beginning of the century to the 50's.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    1900s and/or 1910s
    I love the history of fashion. So the Victorian and Edwardian era are a challenge to play in-game. I always have a decades save.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    1920s and/or 1930s
    The roaring 20's... art deco, flappers, sharply dressed men in pinstripes and wing tips, slick style and glamour that window of prosperity and style that came just before the Great Depression. Its always been a fashion and decor favorite of mine.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    1940s and/or 1950s
    It would be the '50s like "Happy Days" or the '70s like "That '70s Show" XD
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    1900s and/or 1910s
    I chose the 1900's to 1910's.

The Sims have become so modern for pretty much all aspects of their life. Would be nice to just go back to no/limited technology.
  • Options
    MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    1940s and/or 1950s
    I love 40’s and 50’s aesthetic, but not applied to my real life. I’d love to live it out in the Sims! Actually, anything from 1900’s-1950’s.
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    1980s and/or 1990s
    the 90s of course. :)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    1980s and/or 1990s
    I'd take a family from 1945 to the late 90s. I don't normally play generational, but re-building a village from the end of WWII and seeing it progress through technological advancement sounds fun, especially now that we have Eco Lifestyle.

If I had to choose a single decade then the 80s, because of childhood nostalgia.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited June 2020
    1960s and/or 1970s
    A lot of important events took place during those years, events that are very relevant today. I also like the music and the way people dressed, especially in the 1970's. And there were a lot of cool cars in the 1970's as well.

• Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I don't know because each decade has some elements I could use in gameplay.

The first decade brought us the Edwardian age and end of The Victorian age. It could be fun to go on a building frenzy and build in that style of architecture. It was also the Golden Age of Capitalism where sims like Bess Sterling and Jules Rico from the Eco Living pack would shine without any regulations. Maybe play an orphaned child working in a workhouse or factory using mods to allow for children to live on their own in a household or living with a teen sibling. I rarely use mods to allow my kids to live on their own. When I do have them installed it's because I am doing a specific type of storyline of hardship for that sim.

The 1st World War happened between 1910 - 1920 It could be fun to see how my sims would cope with that part in history sane holds true with WW2 in the late '30s and early '40s The first laws restricting Capitalism began in America during this time. Children still worked in factories and workhouses during this time.

1920 -1930 had in America Prohibition and speakeasies. My grandma had some of the funniest stories about her mom being a cocktail waitress and her uncle running a speakeasy when she was a child both she lived with growing up in Tremont in Ohio City when Clevland Ohio was considered a booming Metropolis with Millionaire's row and everything. I love her account through a child's perspective of that decade.

1930-1940 The start of the Golden Age of Hollywood, Talkies began in this century. I wouldn't mind playing a sim in this era being amazed by watching a talkie and hearing their favourite actor/actress's voice for the first time and being shook. The late part of the decade began WW 2 in Europe and I wouldn't mind playing a sim trying to survive and joining the military in hopes of defeating the evil that had arisen.

1940-1950 WW 2 was happening in Europe Asia Africa and America came into the war. It would be fun to play a Buffalo Solider or a Navaho Code Talker in this decade. It was a time when African Americans and Native Americans faced so much prejudice outside the military and I remember my grandpa telling me a story about how he was saved my the Buffalo Soldiers in WW2. There was also the injustice of the internment camp and concentration camps. These elements would indeed make for some great storytelling. This was also a time of the Zoot Suit Riots. So many options for good gameplay and storytelling for my sims.

1950 - 1960 I can't help but think of a friend who sent to me an article from the era on being the perfect wife and saying that I was probably grateful that times have changed for women. It was quite a difference because in America Segregation was king in The South (in America) and politicians and law enforcement could care less about minorities. Gays and women had virtually no rights. Women could be secretaries or school teachers and once married were expected to quit their jobs and blindly submit to their husbands. Domestic Abuse was rampant during this era. The Dawn of The Cold War was during this era. However, there was some good too and I wouldn't mind playing a sim during that dark time in history. More likely a child and seeing what a plumb dad was to mom and the police doing nothing about it. I could do some pretty dark stories with my sims during this era.

1960 - 1970 began the Civil Right Movement as we know it today. Men like Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X women like Rosa Parks. During this time in America, The Vietnam War opened the eyes of the Doves wishing for peace. Draft Dodging was part of protesting the Vietnam War for some and for others because they were cowards. Men in the LBQTQ community started to wear an earring on the Right side signifying their sexual orientation. The first transgender reassignment surgery was done during this era. Humanity landed on the moon. Woodstock. The Beatles and other British rock bands, I would play a lesbian college student taking part in the civil rights movent during this decade proudly wearing a pink triangle on her jacket. The Cuyahoga River Caught on Fire again in Cleveland Ohio because of the pollution. The river didn't flow like normal water should but oozed and the people saw it simply as a part of being progressive and just a necessary evil of being industrial.

1970 -1980 Disco and The Womyn's Lib Movent truly started in this decade. Nixon ended the Vietnam War. It could be fun to play a Dancing Queen. I think I would play a female sim part of the feminist movement working for Ms Magazine and friends with Gloria Steinem in the game.

1980 - 1990 MTV the personal computer all pretty much began in this decade. The space shuttle was developed by NASA I could easily play a power couple in Silicon Valley or an astronaut for gameplay with a brick instead of the small 5G smartphones we have now. Pagers were the rage instead of smartphones. The Amiga came out in this decade. My power couple has a kid who loves their Amiga. The Amiga was like the Mac nowadays and very much ahead of its time in terms of graphics and other capabilities.

1990 -2000 Y2k is the first thing that comes to mind. Technolgy was really taking off during this decade and I think I could easily have my sims start a tech firm during this decade. My power couple from the previous decade has a couple kids now. The oldest a teen. The oldest being into computerized digital art with their Amiga. The younger child would be the computer geek loving video games and spending hours learning to program. It would be rather interesting

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    edited June 2020
    I would love to play each of these decades. I don't really have a preference and like the styles associated with all of them. Team maxis has already experimented with some furniture and cas items that could fit certain pre-2000's decades, but it's still too limited I think to get a proper decennium type of gameplay out of it. With the biggest problem of course being that blasted fixed cell phone each sim has :( . Not being able to build our own worlds, place lots where we want them, and random townie spawns we have 0 control over (the spawning itself as well as whatever rng calculates would offend the fashion police as best as possible) aren't helping either. And where's my working typewriter, landline telephone, or toaster?
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    1980s and/or 1990s
    I'm not really into historical things. I'm very much a person of the current times so I've chosen the decade closest to where we are now.
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    1960s and/or 1970s
    I'm currently playing two different decades: 1960s and 2060.

This week I set up a new game set in the 1960s and have created period looking Sims as well as converting the premades to look more 60s. That last bit wasn't too difficult because Bakko Jang and Liberty Lee, among others, already look pretty 60s. In a few cases only a few tweaks were needed. Creating 60s looking characters from scratch was fun...as usual there's plenty of base game plus CC stuff for women, not a great deal for men but I've managed to make some decent, period looking guys nonetheless.

As this game develops I'll start creating 60s inspired houses with some minimalist black and white designs, some crazy psychadelic and some boring brown leftovers from the 50s. Again, there's a lot of good CC out there for this kind of thing.

One of the best parts about this, other than seeing the results, is the research. I was always into 60s art and design but a project like this deepens your knowledge. Seeing a period photo of an outfit and realising you can make a really good approximation in the game is a buzz.

Anarchronisms are unavoidable: There's no getting around the mobile phones, personal computers and other trappings of early 21st century life. I can live with it...I don't want to start downloading loads of mods to make my computers look like typewriters, for example.

I've got a whole bunch of CC for this game, but if anyone has any pointers to some favourite 60s inspired items they've found then please let me know. In particular hairstyles, make up and men's tops (looking for double breasted jackets, paisley shirts and cravats specifically).
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    1920s and/or 1930s
    1920s for sure! I loved Roaring Heights in TS3, one of my favourite worlds!
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @Zimz4 Here's your working typewriter :)
    https://modthesims.info/d/557259/vintage-typewriter.html

Here's a mod that takes out most of the phone animations
    https://triplis.github.io/mods/phone-listen-anim.html

I use both in my vintage save.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    edited June 2020
    Thank you @QueenofMyshuno, I have had other people link mods for comments I made, and modders do an absolutely fantastic job getting the game to work, enhancing the game, getting objects and game play into the game that's still missing. But I try to keep my game mod free. I'm of the opinion it's team Maxis' job to get all these things into the game, not modders' (yes I know, the only thing that will happen while I wait for team Maxis to get that done is for me to die of old age - and that's still many, many decades away). I will have a look at the links, but hope I can resist the temptation to install them ;).
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    1940s and/or 1950s
    I went with 40s/50s, but in truth it would be 30s/40s. Depression era, but post-prohibition in the US, the building tensions before World War II... oh, wait, that's my love of 30's noir through a 70's/80's lens...

I do feel a lot of connection to that time period, though. And I love the fashions.

Of course, there's elements I like from all time periods.
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    1960s and/or 1970s
    Hippies, disco, bell bottoms... hurrah
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame