Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do when you max out a sims career?

Just wondering how everyone plays? For those that do careers anyways? Do you keep playing the same sim increasing his/her funds or build up their skills? Do you try and start a family with them like if they are single? Or do you just go ahead and play another sim, either your own or the games own pre made sims?

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I usually have Sims max out their career and then get married and start a family. Occasionally, I may have the Sim switch to a different career.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    My sims are not all about careers. Most of them do have careers, but I level them up to what makes sense for them and their story. I'm a storyteller at heart, so for example my sim Jacqueline is very insecure about her body right now. She's in the athletic career and still a locker room attendant (since she just started), but she goes to the gym regularly to lose more weight and get ever more thinner so she can be society's ideal. Meanwhile, she'll level up in her career so it's a double-edged sword. She does great in her career, but her personal life worsens. Storytelling like this makes play much more fun for me. It also keeps me from marrying everyone off for the sake of it.
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    Freelance
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    It depends on my story. My crime empire Sims that live in a Gothic penthouse will always be criminals. Some of my Sims retire and do the gardening career. Some raise a family or switch careers so they can complete the Renaissance aspiration. Right now I am playing a single mom in the city. The mom who is an adult now and has reached the top of the business career as an investor quit her career and went back to college with her daughter and now son in law. At first it was just the two of them but the daughter fell in love and got married. They still live in a penthouse in the city but I am building the Mom a house in the country.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Move to a new one. Mostly I do careers for the unlocks. Once done, they hold no value to me. I prefer to generate income through crafting, gardening and interest anyway.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I don't exactly play careers. Sometimes i have a sim that wants to reach the top of his career.

After (and before) that, my sim will always have a story that is 'written' on the go. I don't play by completing goals. I play by inventing stories and embracing unexpected events.

• fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I move my focus to other sims which is usually the kids since i have my sims work and start a family simultaneously. This is not only with careers but with goals in general. Once a sim achieves the goal i set for them, i move to another sim instead of giving them a new goal. There are some cases where i felt like i wanted to keep playing a sim even after that so i just played around with them and did whatever until i felt like moving on.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    I often switch careers when maxed out after saving up Simoleons to a reasonable amount. But i mostly try to match them up in a way that makes sense and it fits the story/made up character of the Sim. Like Cook moves on to Critic Career (Food Critic) or Business CEO becomes a politician. Starting a Family and maybe raising Kids normally happens parallel to first career, to have a bit of a struggle.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Depends on the sim's story. Sometimes I'll have them move to another career, but most often I'll just let them coast there until I'm ready to move on to the next generation's story.
  • Patch__2008Patch__2008 Posts: 498 Member
    I like to have my Sims work through a career and try to ascend to the top while creating a family legacy. At least... unless I'm playing a challenge. If it's Family Man, I do whatever fits his aspiration. (Sometimes that's just motherloding all the time) If it's 100 Baby, usually freelance painting or writing.
    It all depends on what story I'm telling at that time. I like to try to climb the career ladder just because I like that sense of achievement, but sometimes that just doesn't fit in with my Sims' lives.
    ~Find Me On YouTube: My Channel~IG: katiesadie00~Twitter: katiesadie00~
  • ambaraambara Posts: 47 Member
    My sims tend to be fairly old by the time they are at the top of their careers (if they even get there) so I usually let them keep working for a bit and then they can retire and spend rest of their time playing with grandkids.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    My amazing Sim Sylvia has maxed out several careers now. She enjoys taking on new challenges.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    Move to a new one. Mostly I do careers for the unlocks. Once done, they hold no value to me. I prefer to generate income through crafting, gardening and interest anyway.

This, basically. Salary from careers are a very small part of my sims income. Once they reach the top, its not interesting anymore.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I often switch careers when maxed out after saving up Simoleons to a reasonable amount. But i mostly try to match them up in a way that makes sense and it fits the story/made up character of the Sim. Like Cook moves on to Critic Career (Food Critic) or Business CEO becomes a politician. Starting a Family and maybe raising Kids normally happens parallel to first career, to have a bit of a struggle.

This is me as well -- I usually either have them switch careers, or if they're doing something like painting, writing or programming I'll have them quit and freelance. Freelance programming combined with side jobs can keep the power on quite easily.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • FunnyCidesFunnyCides Posts: 107 Member
    For me, it depends on the Sim and what their initial career is. For my athletes I normally have them quit once they age up into an adult or not long after and choose something else that interests them. Other times I've had my Sim just stay in their career until they are an elder then have them retire to enjoy the fruits of their work.

As for family, I tend to let the Sim decide if they really want to get married or have children (sometimes there are oopsie babies becaue of MCC and autonomous Woohoo).
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    That’s why I use MCCC to increase motive decay and slow down skill gain. It is very hard to max up career in my game lol keep me entertained.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited July 2020
    I start new career unless i want to keep them in certain job for story purposes

or play with family things or hobbies or whatever for a change leaving them unemployed if they too rich rich
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • daydreamsdaydreams Posts: 121 Member
    edited July 2020
    I like to get about halfway into the career with a single sim, and then I may have them move in with a significant other. They might start a family and during that time, I work on getting their promotions until they max out. They stay in that job unless I believe it's in their character to switch paths.

As for skills, I do that simultaneously and develop skills that are related to their chosen career or what I feel fits their personality. When they get to the max level of their career I don't necessarily get bored with them because it just means I have more time to focus on their partner's career/interests or kids (and their personal lives, making friends, finding potential partners for their future, building their skills too.)

One time I wanted to add something new to my sim's story because they were just a little too "perfect" and their record was too "clean"... in my head I made them have a scandal where there might have been rumors that they had to woohoo their way to the top (and maybe it could've been real?) and I made them lose their job and they needed to start from square one. The possibilities included starting in perhaps a different career, having to rebuild their image, move worlds...

All in all, I generally leave them be when they've made it to the top, but again, if their life is too great I definitely want to turn it around :) Because we love having sims suffer from time to time, right? Right.
    “And he smiled a smile to shame the sun.”
    aH6O0kG.gif
  • FrankieDanySIMSFrankieDanySIMS Posts: 152 Member
    I got my Lorna loren (ispired by Sofia Loren italian top actress) in painter career and reached the max... while going up in that career Lorna received a lot of calls to change her job... once Lorna accepted for a while...as influencer from level 4...but got back to painting... later I was wishing someone to call Lorna for a chef career (but not from level 1 dish washer) ... but I still wait for the call: Lorna has many max skills incuding cooking and it's also a planestar!!! It wouldn't be so nice for her to start as a dishwasher!!! . . . anyway for her the next apspiration will be: getting cooking prize (forever fresh food that do no get rotten to trhow in garbage) and I wanted to open a restaurant.
    7b98023048724ecd9dea27351744b46c.png
  • FrankieDanySIMSFrankieDanySIMS Posts: 152 Member
    PS to gain more money Lorna and his husband Manolo (TOP level / career musician / fame) do streaming video on the video record station desk + drone . . . anyway at the beginning i used the trick for the money so they lived in a fab house from the start!
    7b98023048724ecd9dea27351744b46c.png
  • angiec0307angiec0307 Posts: 7 New Member
    I managed to max out the science career and once finished I just sent my sim to work alone after that. But I have still not managed with the detective career. I always seem to get bugs with it and it's the whole having to start again (quit job or remove file and restart, not something I am willing to do right now during 26 gen achieve) which I am not too happy with. I am currently using a sim to try the hospital career. I've given up with the detective for the moment. That Chief of Police is either lazy, or something bad happened to them because they never show up to work and I cannot complete the action "Talk to Chief" - So I am leaving the detective career for the moment.
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    It depends on my objective. Do my Sims need gobs of money, are they close to retirement? Is there something they would enjoy more?
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I usually just bask in their success and try to take all the vacation days. Their career is usually a big part of their personality so it sticks with them. If they retire, it’s like they never did anything. I wish it would say what they retired from.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    When I got to the top of the astronaut career I just quit because she didnt make mach compared to the 40k per day from the UFO plants in the garden ( I dont know if this is a bug but they never needed watering only weeding )
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king