Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Newspapers

I miss having the newspapers in the sims 4. I was playing with elders and definitely made me think of them reading newspapers on the porch while drinking coffee. It was nice feature of having our sims have an option of finding a job in there, checking the for the weather forecast, comics, games, and even recycling. We could add local events to the newspaper. There should also be an option to start having newspapers delivered or stop them from delivering. What do you guys think?

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I too miss the newspapers and the magazines. Hope they bring them back. It's so sad to see the magazines rack and newspaper boxes in game and there is no option to buy one. I would also like to be able to use the blue community mailboxes to send mail.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I would like to see the newspapers back. They're still very much a thing in the world and your right, it was a nice feature.

@crocobaura love the mail idea too, and buying the papers from the boxes!

I really love playing rags to riches. For my sims, early on, a newspaper would be a lot more believable than their cell phone.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    It would be cool if we could decide how many times a week newspapers should be delivered.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I wish we could have a toggle to switch from the modern phone to newspapers.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Newspapers, Magazines, Landlines, Love Letters instead of calls "yo, whassup? Date?"
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
    edited June 2020
    Newspapers, Magazines, Landlines, Love Letters instead of calls "yo, whassup? Date?"

So we get cheesy letters instead of cheesy pick-up lines? Great! :joy: It would be lovely to have landlines back too, especially as they work even when there's no electricity, they would be nice for off the grid gameplay.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited June 2020

So we get cheesy letters instead of cheesy pick-up lines? Great! :joy: It would be lovely to have landlines back too, especially as they work even when there's no electricity, they would be nice for off the grid gameplay.

Cheesy love letters with spicy gifts delivered right to your sim's door. No problem. ;)

On a more serious note, (although I was being serious) I too would like Newspapers back in game.

It would be very relaxing to see the sim stroll out the door with a nice fresh cup of coffee and pick up the newspaper. Go back inside, sit on their Lazy Boy (we need those too) read all the local news and 'international' news. Do a crossword puzzle. Have a chat with the wife, who's reading her own Fashion magazine; a little nod to the kid who's reading the Voidcritter Express. Everybody Happy.

The landline rings, the wife picks up, has a little chat with the neighbour. My sims finishes reading the paper, unfolds it and lays it under the dog's bowzer bowl, replacing the newspaper from the previous day. My sim will then bring the old newspaper to the big bad recycler which he keeps in the shed at the back. And voila, gets a few bits and pieces out of it so his wife can craft another of her fancy candles.

Oh the good 'ol days... Anytime. Anytime.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Oh c'mmon, pull your mind out of the gutter :joy: Of course Loveletter will be poetic and heartmelting. Btw. does anything rhyme with woohoo? I can't think of anything. :D
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
    edited June 2020

Oh c'mmon, pull your mind out of the gutter :joy: Of course Loveletter will be poetic and heartmelting. Btw. does anything rhyme with woohoo? I can't think of anything. :D

Closest to a 'rhyme' would be 'Choochoo'. It's a sped-up type of 'Woohoo'.

Basically it goes from 'Oohoo' to 'Moohoo' to 'Woohoo' to 'Choochoo' to 'Oo-oo'. Poetic enough? ;)
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
    Love poem to a mermaid

The sea is blue,
    I've been thinking of you,
    Let's woohoo.
    :heart:
    Love poem to a mermaid

The sea is blue,
    I've been thinking of you,
    Let's woohoo.
    :heart:

I'm curious about the mermaid's reaction to this.
    Either a Siren's Lullaby, or a Siren's Call.
    The latter would be less favorable. You'd be reading about it in The Newspaper the next morning.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    tu-whit tu-whoo? The owl's calls.

"actually a compound of two calls; the quavering hoo-hoo-hoo by the male and the reply of kew-wick from the female." I only learned this last week! 🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉🦉
  • nessatay1920nessatay1920 Posts: 459 Member
    I too miss the newspapers and the magazines. Hope they bring them back. It's so sad to see the magazines rack and newspaper boxes in game and there is no option to buy one. I would also like to be able to use the blue community mailboxes to send mail.

I forgot about the magazines but they should bring that back too! They should also make kid/teen magazines as well!
    It would be cool if we could decide how many times a week newspapers should be delivered.

Totally!

I miss the landlines too! They need to bring them back! I would like my children to have this instead of a cell phone. Once they are teens then they can have a cell phone. I miss the option of buying them.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I so want 20th Century telephones, newspapers, fashion magazines, computers from the 1980s & no online.
  • irishdragon7irishdragon7 Posts: 124 Member
    Yes, I really miss newspapers and I agree that we should have landlines as it should be up to the sim's parent regarding a child having a cell phone.
  • ExperitculusExperitculus Posts: 35 Member
    Newspapers! Yes, with coupons in them for poor and frugal sims.
    “But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raises the dead.”
  • thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    I support this. Since a lot of fun activities are risky for Elders, newspapers can be their all-in-one solution. They can gain fun from it, forecasts, can get focused/inspired/flirty depending on the article they choose, even gain skill like Logic (crossword puzzles, trivias, duh.) For balance purposes, they can make it so that non-Elders can get bored by it!
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Newspapers! Yes, with coupons in them for poor and frugal sims.

Ohhhh I love that idea! How super cool would that be? I wish we had frugal sim traits and would bonus points of some kind for spending less money for quality items.

And as far as newspapers go, I have always been an advicate of them, Believe it or not, there are actually people (my parents for one) who do not own a smart phone, and that read a physical paper each morning. They also use a land line, every day.

Little things like this should still be included, people play the game in many different scenarios. Historical/Medieval games, poor/homeless sims (if you're poor and not working and barely getting by, you're spending money on the necessities, a cell phone is not a necessity when it comes down to spend money on food, clothing, and shelter.)

The cell phone and all electronic gadgets should be optional.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Newspapers would be great if only there was a option to turn off cell phones and use landlines or no phone at all not everyone wants to play in a modern world.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    Didn't the newspapers in S3 occasionally tell us when NPCs got married or had babies?
    Newspapers would be awesome and bonus maybe we could get a little NPC story progression with them, on occasion, like a little bit 😬.
    Ohhhh and a weather report.
    I miss those little S3 newspaper stories.