September 18 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!

Curious if anyone actually pays to play this game.

jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,518 Member
I got curious and downloaded it. So yea a hair costs £4.99!!! Who in their right mind would pay this money for one single item !?!!! I don’t get this monetisation model. I wish they make a proper iPad version i am happy to pay upfront not this micro transaction madness. Anyone actually pays to play this game !? Is it fun at all without paying ? Curious !

Comments

• charlesbergcharlesberg Posts: 86 Member
    I can't say it's fun, but it's good to kill some time while waiting for actions to complete in Freeplay. I thought Freeplay prices were questionable at times but TSM takes the cake, but at least with Freeplay there were some offers I felt were worth paying for after comparing them to regular store purchases.

So far, TSM has offered me bundles priced £15 and up, highest I saw was £60 and I genuinely laughed, sure, the value might have been there, but the fact they price everything so shamelessly is souring my hopes for any proper changes or adjustments.
    Signature here. No here. Never-mind.
  • 67applecore67applecore Posts: 2 New Member
    Charlesberg, there really are worse. :( . I don’t think I should mention game names here, but it’s true enough. This kind of game takes money to play to really enjoy it.
  • 67applecore67applecore Posts: 2 New Member
    Jimbbq, I’d love to pay up front, but the developers wouldn’t make a fraction of what they do with this pay- to - play system. And yes, I’ve paid, but sometimes I am concerned with the cost. I try to keep it down. If I can’t (with a game), I delete it. FWIW, my thought is that if they lowered their prices they would have more players, and more of them would stay (I’m speaking in general here, not of a particular game. But - oh well. This is what we have.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,518 Member
    Someone the pc gaming model of pay to play works well but not on mobile. Mobile gaming is inherently evil 👿
  • MareahMareah Posts: 386 Member
    I can't say it's fun, but it's good to kill some time while waiting for actions to complete in Freeplay.
    Wow!! I thought freeplay and TSM were the same game, they are not?! Wow lol!

• Smurfy_Sim1Smurfy_Sim1 Posts: 7 New Member
    I have spent many hours playing TSM, and never spent a dime, until, one day, a year into playing, there was a 2.99 bundle package that I felt was reasonable enough. Well, i was double charged! Fine, whatever.... I justified the double charged thinking with all the fun I’ve had building the 7 dollars is fine, and told myself never again would I spend single dime! Well, guess what? Of course I had to have the 4th of July bundle! It was only 2.99 for 600 sim cash and a firework thingy. I never received my bundle. Money gone from rl account, but no items! Had to jump through hoops to get a refund, which i did not get, btw. Ahhh, shame on me. One more issue and I’ll just go back to playing Sims on my PC. 😶👀
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 1,564 Member
    I really don't mind paying for something that seems justifiable. I'm not cheap. But I can't pay for mobile games which are always lesser quality than a pc or console game. Also it never truely feels like "mine" it feels like a fling.

I downloaded it at one point but quickly deleated it. Prices are crazy. That much for one hair when i have 1000 custom (quite literally) hairs on my sims for free. Can't justify it. 🤨
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • gothbuniegothbunie Posts: 43 Member
    I'm one of those fools who paid. Do I regret it? Yeah kinda. I don't even play it anymore.
  • I_hatehackersI_hatehackers Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="jimbbq;d-978083"]I got curious and downloaded it. So yea a hair costs £4.99!!! Who in their right mind would pay this money for one single item !?!!! I don’t get this monetisation model. I wish they make a proper iPad version i am happy to pay upfront not this micro transaction madness. Anyone actually pays to play this game !? Is it fun at all without paying ? Curious ! [/quote]

I get so upset when I see people in my group showing off how far advanced they are in a game and also showing how much sim cash they have while im showing off my Google receipts of how much I spend. I hate hackers and I hate how E.A allows it.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,518 Member
    Hackers can just hack to get free stuff ? Jeez that sounds horrible.
    > @gpthbunie said:
    > I'm one of those fools who paid. Do I regret it? Yeah kinda. I don't even play it anymore.

I wanna add that I was already at the highest level (lvl 50) when I stopped playing. Yes it is possible to complete quest without paying but it is hard to get simcash to buy stuff unrelated to quest.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 237 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I got curious and downloaded it. So yea a hair costs £4.99!!! Who in their right mind would pay this money for one single item !?!!! I don’t get this monetisation model. I wish they make a proper iPad version i am happy to pay upfront not this micro transaction madness. Anyone actually pays to play this game !? Is it fun at all without paying ? Curious !

I just started playing today — wanting a social/online Sims game! — and the prices astonish me, too. Mobile games used to be a LOT cheaper. Did you ever play The Sims Social on Facebook? Do you remember when $5 would get us TONS of rewards? (Like, $5 on a mobile game was A LOT then!)

Boy, the times have changed...

I'm still going to try it out for a while (idling), but definitely won't be putting any money into it.
    Origin ID: sketchur

#FixThePersonalities
  • simvasionsimvasion Posts: 67 Member
    The prices seem kind of outrageously high to me, but I've played The Sims Mobile for a while without paying anything. It's definitely the mobile game model of Time vs Money for convenience.

You can earn in-game currencies like Sim Cash by just playing and doing quests and tasks, which you then use to speed up time or pay for things in the store like items and stuff. I think that's the currency they use to buy unlocks for stuff in the in-game store, so technically you can get all the stuff for free, it just takes ages to grind up that much Sim Cash. They hope people will be impatient enough to spend real money on buying sim cash or packs direct.

It's definitely reflected in the Roommate Rush event where you can unlock a new sim slot for free but there's no way you can complete the 100+ tasks in just 4 days unless you use speed boosts. But TAKE THIS EA, I'm just going to grind up Sim Cash for free over a long time and then use THAT to complete the event. I will get that third sim eventually!
    simvasion wrote: »
    It's definitely reflected in the Roommate Rush event where you can unlock a new sim slot for free but there's no way you can complete the 100+ tasks in just 4 days unless you use speed boosts. But TAKE THIS EA, I'm just going to grind up Sim Cash for free over a long time and then use THAT to complete the event. I will get that third sim eventually!

I played since when the game was fairly new. It took me about a month or less to get all four slots open. I feel like it's way harder to get sim cash now compare to back then. I started playing the game a little lately and haven't gotten a sim cash once.