Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New members guide - Welcome to the forums!

EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
edited July 2020 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
Hello – or as we say here on the Sims forum: sul sul!

So, you did it! You signed in and you are a new member now – and we are happy to see you join our Sims community here on this EA Forum!

We all know what it’s like: being new anywhere usually comes with plenty of questions and everything can seem a bit scary and overwhelming.
But don’t worry! We are a community and are there for each other. That means you don't need to find the answers alone!

To help you get started, we have compiled a list of guides and FAQs below. Dive right in - what do you want to learn about first?
  1. Intro to forums - Start here if you are not sure what 'forums' are
  2. Forums rules and guidelines - If we want this space to be fun and safe for everyone, there are a few rules that we all have to follow. Go here to find out about the Dos and Don’ts of our forum.
  3. Forums structure - This section will help you to find out where to post what
  4. New member vs Member - You are new here and don’t have certain functions? Don’t panic, just check out this section to find out when you can do what on this forum like starting a discussion
  5. Activity page (WIP)

These topics should cover the basics and help you get started on the forums. Once you become a 'Member' and are ready to learn more, I recommend you to explore the rest of tools and options of the forums. ;)
Post edited by EA_Mai on

Comments

• EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited July 2020
    INTRO TO FORUMS - WHAT ARE 'FORUMS' BTW?

Forums are a special kind of website designed for people to discuss and share experiences about a specific topic. In this case, we all are here to talk about The Sims - so I hope you are interested in the game ;)

In order to participate in any forum and the conversations within it, you need to have an account. Here on The Sims Forums, all you need to do to create your forums account is signing in using your EA Account (the same you use to play your game on Origin). The first time you sign in, you will be asked to choose your username. This is the name other people on the forums will know you as - take your time to pick a name you like!

People on the forums who have an account (forum members) can create a discussion (also known as thread or topic) to start a conversation. Other members can join those discussions if they want to, and post their comments.

Finally, forums and conversations within them are divided in categories, to keep things tidy. For example: if you are looking to discover houses for The Sims 4 created by the community, you would visit the 'The Sims 4 Lots' category.
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
    FORUM RULES AND GUIDELINES

Any space you visit has some rules you are expected to follow when you are there. You wouldn't go to a restaurant and start jumping on top of a table, right?
    We have some rules here as well - please, take the time to familiarize yourself with The Sims Forum Rules and Guidelines.
    edited July 2020
    FORUMS STRUCTURE

The forums are organized mainly by game (The Sims 4, The Sims Mobile, etc.), and inside each of these big categories, we have smaller sections for different topics, so you can visit one or another depending on what you want to find or talk about with your fellow Simmers.

You can find an overview on the main page. For example, let's take a look here:

8gvtplhh82gb.png

'Welcome to the forums', 'The Sims Franchise' and 'The Sims 4' are some of the 'big' categories we have. Inside them you can see other subcategories like 'Forum rules' and 'Forum announcements' that live inside 'Welcome to the forums'.

This structure is important, as it helps keeping things organized and helps everyone find the kind of discussions we are looking for each time. Help us keep things tidy by taking the time to look for the best place to post your comments. If you are not sure or you have any questions about the forum, we have a space for you to ask as well! 'Forums ideas & feedback' is where we talk about the forums itself - that's where this discussion you are reading is located :)

Oh! And one more thing: if you would like to see ALL the conversations going on on the forums in one single page check 'Recent Discussions' out.

hpsc8g8ibtsl.png
    edited July 2020
    - Space reserved -
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
    - Space reserved -
  • Mecy504Mecy504 Posts: 6 New Member
    I be glad when I can do this
  • Mecy504Mecy504 Posts: 6 New Member
    I been here for years
  • Beabea90Beabea90 Posts: 2 New Member
    I want farm animals to take care of in the game specifically cows and chickens an horses y’all have done it before please do it again
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    Beabea90 wrote: »
    I want farm animals to take care of in the game specifically cows and chickens an horses y’all have done it before please do it again

@Beabea90, any ideas and feedback for The Sims 4 goes over in The Sims 4 Feedback section as this section of Ideas and Feedback for the forums only and not the game... ;)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/TS4-feedback
  • bebe2008bebe2008 Posts: 4 New Member
    understood
  • MwnbemeMwnbeme Posts: 26 Member
    its painful to have to jump through all the hoops when you have an issue or need to bring up. I am temped to find a post and reply 15 times with the current number of posts I am on to get my point up
    Mwnbeme wrote: »
    its painful to have to jump through all the hoops when you have an issue or need to bring up. I am temped to find a post and reply 15 times with the current number of posts I am on to get my point up

@Mwnbeme, congrats on becoming a full member...
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited December 2020
    @Mwnbeme the restrictions are very low in my opinion, and I think the reason they are there at all is for recent trolling of the forums made from new accounts. The restrictions could also work in the favour of the new member, being given some time to look around and perhaps read a few threads, searching the forum for info. I think posting 15 times in a row could be considered spamming, discouraged in the forum rules.

There is a Help section in the first level of the forum, that leads to the actual help forum for the games, with no requirement for making help threads. If it is hard to locate or understand the purpose of, you could later on post in the section for Forum Feedback and recommend the Managers to reflect on that.
  • o0Sazie0oo0Sazie0o Posts: 29 Member
    I'm a bit frustrated about the restriction, but I understand why it's there. So I'm not too upset about it.
  • FinnleyFinnley Posts: 20 Member
    I don't understand, I did all this:

Criteria to become a Member
    Once you meet the following criteria, you will become a 'Member' and you will get access to all the standard forum permissions:

- Get 25 points
    - Make 15 posts/comments
    - Must be a New Member for 1 day

------------------------------------------------------------
    I am a 'New Member' for a month now, I have 27 points and I made 19 comments on posts.
    Still I am now allowed to be a 'Member'. :-/

Do I need to get approved by someone?
    I just came here to be a part of a community to share stories about sims. I also uploaded Sims to my gallery who I played with, who have lives and skills and stories. Feels like I am not worth becoming a member here or something. I am not even allowed to post a picture in a comment. How do I become a member?
    @Finnley, try logging out of your account and back in for the change to take place...😀
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member
    Finnley wrote: »
    I don't understand, I did all this:

Criteria to become a Member
    Once you meet the following criteria, you will become a 'Member' and you will get access to all the standard forum permissions:

- Get 25 points
    - Make 15 posts/comments
    - Must be a New Member for 1 day

I am a 'New Member' for a month now, I have 27 points and I made 19 comments on posts.
    Still I am now allowed to be a 'Member'. :-/

Do I need to get approved by someone?
    I just came here to be a part of a community to share stories about sims. I also uploaded Sims to my gallery who I played with, who have lives and skills and stories. Feels like I am not worth becoming a member here or something. I am not even allowed to post a picture in a comment. How do I become a member?

On my screen it shows you as a member now @Finnley, congrats!!
  • Mockingbird781Mockingbird781 Posts: 16 Member
    Useless comment to build up posts so i can ask my question. If this is what it takes then this is dumb but necessary.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Hello @Mockingbird781
    You have the required points and posts to become a full member.
    Try logging out of the site then logging back in again and see if that shows you as a full member
  • modifiedmom4891modifiedmom4891 Posts: 7 New Member
    all I want to do is change my profile picture and get some help in downloading the create a world tool. I click the accept terms and conditions and click download and all I get is a blank box to pop up and nothing happens. anyone else having trouble with this? soo frustrating!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    all I want to do is change my profile picture and get some help in downloading the create a world tool. I click the accept terms and conditions and click download and all I get is a blank box to pop up and nothing happens. anyone else having trouble with this? soo frustrating!

Hello @modifiedmom4891
    I am sorry that you are having issues with downloading the CAW tool :( There will be simmers in the CAW section where you posted on a thread there that will help you when they come onto the forums.
  • SuperT259SuperT259 Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks so much, @EA_Mai. This helped me a lot. I can't wait to become a full member!
  • WDStudiosWDStudios Posts: 3 New Member
    I have a question. I signed up for these forums for the sole purpose of asking this one question, and now I find that I cannot create a thread to ask my question. This policy does more harm than good.

What would be the best way to ask my question? Do I just post it here, in this thread? I see no reasonable alternative.

In The Sims 1, every time Bob and Betty Newbie socialize in a non-user-directed way (Hot tub, TV, eating dinner etc), it makes Betty hate Bob more and more, even though Bob likes Betty. Or maybe it's the other way around. The tooltips are pretty vague with the pronouns. Either way, what's going wrong and how do I fix it?
    edited February 2021
    WDStudios wrote: »
    I have a question. I signed up for these forums for the sole purpose of asking this one question, and now I find that I cannot create a thread to ask my question. This policy does more harm than good.

What would be the best way to ask my question? Do I just post it here, in this thread? I see no reasonable alternative.

In The Sims 1, every time Bob and Betty Newbie socialize in a non-user-directed way (Hot tub, TV, eating dinner etc), it makes Betty hate Bob more and more, even though Bob likes Betty. Or maybe it's the other way around. The tooltips are pretty vague with the pronouns. Either way, what's going wrong and how do I fix it?

@WDStudios, I've created a thread for you over in The Sims (2000) section of this forum in hopes that someone over there will see it and try to help you with your issue.... :)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/987424/help-need-with-2-sims-in-the-sims-thread-for-wdstudios/p1?new=1

You could also post over on the AHQ site if no one can help you with your issue. I will provide a link for the AHQ site as well.... :)
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-The-Sims-Games/bd-p/other-sims-games-en