Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this the start of Story Progression?

2...Next

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Big fan of MCCC but if this is actually decent and not a buggy mess, that's exciting new info.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited June 2020
    I don't want the autonomous story progression in my game, but I don't mind this kind. As long as they ask, I really like it.
    I just wish there'd be more of those calls, because I haven't had any, yet. They seem rare. :/
  • peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    Eco Lifestyle is part eco and part community with all the voting and calls. Sometimes, friends will also drop by with gifts.
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    Oh, this is interesting! Is it completely random? How well do you have to know the person ringing asking you whether they should have a baby? I'd hope it's not just a random townie that gatecrashed your date at the spice festival or something :D
  • LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    This is a good way to go about story progression without ruining the experience for rotating players!

I could never get into Sims 3 because of the enforced story progression
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    This is a good way to go about story progression without ruining the experience for rotating players!

I could never get into Sims 3 because of the enforced story progression

@LenaDieters well it seems you didn't really have to. You could turn it off in the game settings. The more you know...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    @SimmerGeorge actually not completely. There was always a certain amount of story progression/aging in non active households etc. I don't use mods, but I played sims 3 from the beginning. Trust me....could not play like in Sims 2
  • KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    I've seen that pop up as well but the couple were elderly and I've never seen a second child from them.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    So now I had it too and as expected I'm not a fan of it.

Rant under the spoiler, tl;dr the feature is too intrusive, it breaks character and is also glitchy.

First, the game chose a played, favorited household to make the call. In fact, it was my main family (I was playing a secondary family).
    The game really should leave played sims alone. It doesn't know what's going on in the heads of my characters and I didn't ask it to try to guess.

Second, the answers weren't marked clearly. I assumed "Yes" would mean exactly that, "Are you sure" would randomize the outcome and "You, a father" would mean "No way, under no circumstances". So I chose the last option. It was also in character for the sim I was playing, who doesn't think the world of the sim who had called.
    What happened next was that the caller got enraged and announced to try for baby at once. Okay, he's a hothead, so at least this reaction was in-character. But Daniel would never have called my active sim to help with a far-reaching decision. He'd never ponder having another child seeing that he already raises his own toddler daughter, the result of a traumatizing abduction, and occasionally has his husband's son over (who gets swapped back and forth between his mother's and father's household).

Third, the caller sim, Daniel is a man married to another man. Have fun trying to get pregnant, you two.
    I switched to his household to check on the the two. Sure enough Daniel had a hidden trait called "trait_hidden_makePregnant". Damage done. I couldn't just let the little one poof into non-existance.

I waited 48 hours in fast-forward mode and nothing happened. So I switched to yet another household, reasoning that maybe story progression only harms currently unplayed households. Waited three days, then checked on Daniel again - still the trait, but still no baby or bump. In the end I reloaded an older save from 1,5 irl hours before the phone call (since there clearly was no baby and wouldn't be).
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    edited September 2020
    I had the phone call, answered yes and three simsdays later, Abiona gave births to twins. I play on rotation mode, so I went into the household and found the babies. I've set a better room for them. Abiona's husband is in Humour career and they already had a child. They live in a large appartment, so I knew there was enough space to welcome new member (s) into the family. Now they have three kids and life is a little bit more "Rock'n Roll". :)

I love this kind of story progression (where I can decide if yes or no the change will be done) and I hope they'll add more to the game.

Edit : I play vanilla (just installed the Show sim info mod). The phone call came before this installation.
    Post edited by Melpomena on
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    This right here is a good decision, definitely a step in the right direction.

I actually might even prefer this method of dealing with things instead of The Sims 3's Story Progression.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Oh wow, I had no idea that this had been implemented, I haven't come across it yet. I would still prefer Sims to autonomously have babies, but this is definitely a feature I can't grumble at... now I just have to patiently wait for it to appear in my current save. :joy:
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    this is the kind of stuff (if well done) that is desperately needed in the game.
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    This is pretty cool. I wonder where they’ll take it :)
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I do wish it would avoid played Sims. I can make then try for a baby whenever I want. It is the unplayed sims I would want to influence through this.

I enjoy getting the parent calls about when are you going to visit though. It makes my families seem like they are staying connected a little more autonomously.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

I have never seen this in my game and I have had the Eco-pack for a long time. I wonder what the requirements are. Could it perhaps be because there are a lot of kids in my games?
  • HarvellHarvell Posts: 14 New Member
    I've had Geoffrey Landgraab call my Sim for the "Try for Baby" one. I answered yes, and despite having the gender settings on default, Geoffrey was the one who got pregnant.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    My sim just got these messages, guessing they're one of the new Eco Lifestyle messages but I thought it was interesting, I've never seen anything centered around story progression for other families built into the game before so I thought I'd share it!

edEJC8Z.png
    DpQe60S.png
    Ooh! 😯 That’s cute!

I don’t like Story Progression, but if it’s done like this, with us having some control over a family’s story, then I would be up for this.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Though this is a good start toward story progression, it would have been nice to have this as a base game update instead of in a pack.

It is a base game update as far as I know, as I think I've seen people say they have those without eco living?

@SeaDragonSong I don’t have Eco Lifestyle and I’ve never seen this in my game. When I first saw it, I thought it was from Slice of Life, but when I got the mod I still wasn’t getting these messages. It must be from Eco Lifestyle.
  • simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    I have never seen this in my game and I have had the Eco-pack for a long time. I wonder what the requirements are. Could it perhaps be because there are a lot of kids in my games?

The requirement for the baby phone call is that your sim must have a friend who has the family-oriented trait and is married. That’s why I’ve seen a lot of people get this call when their sims are friends with Geoffrey Landgraab for example.

I got the phone call for engagement ring from one of my sims friends who has the non-committal trait and has a girlfriend. That’s why he called to ask you to make the decision for him - he’s non-committal and needed a push. I said yes and the got auto-engaged. I was going to do it at some point anyway, so I just took advantage of the phone call which matched my plans.

I assume the other calls have similar triggers, but I haven’t checked.
  • meikahidenorimeikahidenori Posts: 276 Member
    I know this in an old thread, but just noticed recently that played households have aging automatically turned off so sims won't even age up or progress beyond any relationships you forged when interacting with them via another household. I'm curious if that also stops any sort of story progression as well? Does it make a difference if you switch them temporarily to unplayed so they progress a bit without you?

I enjoy a mixture of story progression and no progression, as sometimes with big families I don't mind sims that are not ever used still have lives and I'm curious if they're doing anything that makes it so only played houses don't participate in auto progression of any sort?