March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will Eco Lifestyle Affect Future Packs?

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
Didn't know where to ask this question but considering objects and even floor tiles and wallpapers affect the scores and carbon footprint in the game if you install EL, does this mean future packs' content will also have to be coded to affect the scores much like how OFB forever changed TS2 by making sure all new content could be sold in shops, and or placed on the OFB shelves, etc. It really was a game changer.

I was just wondering if any future content would also work the same with EL code would apply? Or is it a one time deal where you are trying to lower the footprint or improve the score but newer content isn't coded therefore you have to stick with whatever came in the EL pack and not be able to use newer content in those lots or neighborhoods because indirectly newer content without the code would intefere with trying to play EL. See what I mean?

Example: EL wallpapers affect the scores, however, if you wanted to build a home etc. with a newer pack's content that also would affect the scores by not affecting scores at all. So, players would be trying to use newer content but harming their scores (by not applying any relief of that score) and would have to just use EL wallpapers etc. Wouldn't that hamper the overall game if they don't code all future content to work with EL?

Clarification. Let's say you were playing EL, a green wall paper (no pun intended) lowers the scores and overall better if you play the pack. Ok, a new wallpaper without any score classification in a new pack is used, but the score is too high, so you have to use EL wallpaper to lower it. Doesn't this harm the use of any newer content and people would be stuck with just picking the same old content in EL? If they don't code all future content?
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Drago97232Drago97232 Posts: 59 Member
    Content from older pack affect Eco Gameplay so content from future pack should too. If you don’t like this you can change that in the settings
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Drago97232 wrote: »
    Content from older pack affect Eco Gameplay so content from future pack should too. If you don’t like this you can change that in the settings

What do you mean change in settings? Does this mean you can turn all this off and have to use many different saves?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    edited June 2020
    I do hope that they'd code them even if its just for build assets! :neutral: It would expand the replay value of the eco footprint system they made. I personally think it was one of the best things they did. Real life buildings and their materials actually impact the environment in ways that everyday human activities cannot. I also love that they brought the environment scoring back to build mode! I liked that feature in TS1 and TS2!

But right now, even Discover University (their latest expansion pack and heck even the base game) BB assets don't have either the Environment or Eco Footprint tags. I hope this was just because they didn't have time to do them all prior to the Eco Lifestyle launch and it would be all updated by the next patch.
    orenjiAi wrote: »
    I do hope that they'd code them even if its just for build assets! :neutral: It would expand the replay value of the eco footprint system they made. I personally think it was one of the best things they did. Real life buildings and their materials actually impact the environment in ways that everyday human activities cannot. I also love that they brought the environment scoring back to build mode! I liked that feature in TS1 and TS2!

But right now, even Discover University (their latest expansion pack and heck even the base game) BB assets don't have either the Environment or Eco Footprint tags. I hope this was just because they didn't have time to do them all prior to the Eco Lifestyle launch and it would be all updated by the next patch.

Interesting. So, if I wanted to use any thing in my build from DU I would have to remove those things (whatever they are) to lower or worsen a score...it seems to me either they plan to expand this type game pack into all walks of life in TS4 or they just didn't think hard enough about the replay value. I mean who would want to use the same wallpapers and floors over and over (just as a simple example) from here to eternity. That is just as bad as linear play and knowing the outcome.
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Yes exactly. Though I feel I have to elaborate. I apologize in advance, I'm just really passionate about buildings. :)

I's true that tagging all build items from every pack that has and will come out as also either green or industrial would imply a restriction in our choices when building (i.e. "Oh I can't use that concrete flooring because its +2 Industrial! Better go back to old reliable since it's +2 Green."). But if you think about it, expanding the catalog would mean more items to mix-and-match and get the eco ratings from. You can offset the industrial footprint of the City Living bricks that you used if you also put in this [just for example's sake] Moschino pack loft windows.

With a little creativity, you can make your buildings greener or more industrial even with just landscaping and railings or columns! I don't think of this as repetitive gameplay because there would be endless possible combinations. As far as replay value, I feel that "builders" that enjoy this sort gameplay (ok, it's me :)) would be constantly tweaking their builds if they want to maintain the environment without having to resort to cheats. For those that would rather play with their Sims to achieve a more sustainable neighborhood and for those don't want to constantly redo their builds, there's always a setting one can check to opt out of the Eco Footprint gameplay. However, I for one appreciate the challenge and realism that this system brings which is why I would prefer if they do it.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    It would be nice if they added the trash overlay in future worlds. I do think the eco footprints and possibly NAPs will be in future worlds.

The trash is what interested me the most. It makes the game feel less perfect. This happy happy joy joy drives me crazy. We need more imperfections in this iteration. It would be nice to also get the fear emotion.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Drago97232 wrote: »

What do you mean change in settings? Does this mean you can turn all this off and have to use many different saves?

If you don't like the Eco footprint or the objects that effect the Eco footprint you can just toggle off the Eco footprint the same way you can toggle off supernaturals in Sims 3 kind of cool really but yeah I agree I think it will work with future content just because it seems to work with pretty much all past content except for bushes and shrubs for some reason
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    In other words many different saves? Like what if one just wanted to play regular Sims within a world and didn't want to deal with all the other stuff for a particular household etc., one would have to start a new game? and or a new save? Since I assume it's not lot toggle but world toggle and probably messes up stuff for other households if a player turns this setting off and on through out hours of gameplay.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    In other words many different saves? Like what if one just wanted to play regular Sims within a world and didn't want to deal with all the other stuff for a particular household etc., one would have to start a new game? and or a new save? Since I assume it's not lot toggle but world toggle and probably messes up stuff for other households if a player turns this setting off and on through out hours of gameplay.

Yeah it has to be by save you can turn it off and turn it on multiple times I assume but you really meant to choose what you want to do and that particular save I mean you could do the environmental thing and then just deposit that's what the toggle does is pause the environmental effect tell if you wanted good or bad you can just pause it where you want it and if I understand correctly it shouldn't go up or down anymore after that
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited June 2020
    EP01 Get To Work, new objects can be sold in the retail lot.
    EP02 Get Together, new interactions are added as a club activity, new traits/careers are added as club requirement.
    EP03 City Living, new packs can add new lot traits.
    EP05 Seasons, new packs can add new Hot/Cold Weather clothes and new worlds have a local climat.
    EP06 Get Famous, new interactions can change the reputation.
    EP07 Island Living, new packs can add new Off-The-Grid objects.
    EP08 Discover University, the degrees include the new careers.

GP03 Dine Out, new recipes can be cooked in the restaurant.

I think EP09 Eco Lifestyle will follow the same path. Eco Footprint effect is coded in the basegame.
    edited June 2020
    EP01 Get To Work, new objects can be sold in the retail lot.
    EP02 Get Together, new interactions are added as a club activity, new traits/careers are added as club requirement.
    EP03 City Living, new packs can add new lot traits.
    EP05 Seasons, new packs can add new Hot/Cold Weather clothes and new worlds have a local climat.
    EP06 Get Famous, new interactions can change the reputation.
    EP07 Island Living, new packs can add new Off-The-Grid objects.
    EP08 Discover University, the degrees include the new careers.

GP03 Dine Out, new recipes can be cooked in the restaurant.

I think EP09 Eco Lifestyle will follow the same path. Eco Footprint effect is coded in the basegame.

So, Eco Lifestyle is going to be one of those packs which I can't ignore like Seasons? In all those you listed I can ignore those things and not actually use what you listed. Maybe not so much interactions from GF but I don't have it so I don't know if reputation is affected forever by that pack. But seems EL will be one of those packs like Seasons where I must decide before I play if I want weather or not, or which season or no rain or snow etc. at all, before playing. I'm not actually happy about packs that actually make me decide something before I play my Sims. Good or bad, I sort of don't like that about Seasons nor EL or in older games. Things like that actually do make me not install packs sometimes in the older games, if I just don't want to have to make a decission sometime within game play.
    But what was not impressive about CL was the fact about those so called lot traits which can only be used (some) in the CL worlds. Bad design. However, that isn't even the worst of that pack. It's the fact lot traits actually already exist in base by lots having to be designated of what type so it's not like they invented the wheel there. It's that they just added things and gave that ability to players for different reasons instead of just a designated lot. Then if you look hard at those lot traits not much happens since lot traits mostly are used to make a Sims life easier...it was already so easy people can play it in their sleep. Or just walk away for hours and let it keep running. But what do we see, more discomfort moodlets which were already in game (brought on by more lot traits) and or life on easy street with a lot trait to make it easier to make them happier..if they were hardly ever happy that might have been a good thing to add, but in TS4'S case they are always happy so it's like piling fodder upon fodder. But all that is off topic, so back to EL it's one of those packs we have to decide before we play to turn it on or not.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Hm... I mean, I feel like I can ignore them all. With all those packs I can always access the calendar, club panels, see weather, see reputation and fame panels, etc. However, I feel I can just ignore it, too. I ignored clubs for literal years of playing.

I'll give you the annoying pop ups. I did not need a pop up reminding me that I had a teen that might like to go to college. I should only get that sort of thing when actively looking, but it is one click and gone.
    edited June 2020
    @Cinebar

You can ignore Eco Lifestyle if the Eco Footprint option is unchecked in the Game Options.
    Seasons is the only pack that you can't disable (weather, seasons and calendar/surprise days)

I'm not sure about the Reputation (EP06) , Eco Lifestyle have the Influence.
    edited June 2020
    I'm not actually happy about packs that actually make me decide something before I play my Sims.

You have to decide before playing :
    • What household
    • What sims (add, remove or no change)
    • What outfits
    • What hair
    • What world
    • What lot

If you're not happy to decide, maybe you're not happy to play The Sims.

In the other games, there is nothing to decide, the character, the outfit, the place, the weather are predefined.

edited July 2020
    I'm not actually happy about packs that actually make me decide something before I play my Sims.

You have to decide before playing :
    • What household
    • What sims (add, remove or no change)
    • What outfits
    • What hair
    • What world
    • What lot

If you're not happy to decide, maybe you're not happy to play The Sims.

In the other games, there is nothing to decide, the character, the outfit, the place, the weather are predefined.

What other games? I meant I don't want to have to decide turn this off or leave it on with a lot of toggles. Seems like a lot of work to turn it off, then if you want a little of something, turn it on, then turn it off again etc. Too much clicking.

I expect I would get to define my character, their looks, their traits and personality etc. And what is in a world and what is not. What is the scenery and what won't be a decoration. How big of a world and or how small. TS1 is the only game before TS4 that wouldn't allow me to build the so called worlds as I wanted them to look, and or where I wanted a lot or not. TS4 has gone backwards all the way to 1998 or before when TS1 was being designed. I didn't expect it to literally go back to 'it's roots' and not allow players to decide how a world would look. But at least they understood on that team edit was a needed tool so players could at least edit the decorations and or water in a hood and or raising and lowering terrain.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    I thought options were a good thing? 🤔 I'd love to see more toggle options to allow me to customize my gameplay experience.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    As it enhances the template for item programming (they overhauled many many items) the chance is high there will be values on future items as well. Or they choose to just put a zero in the new template options for new items for "no effect". Depends on how modular they made the whole thing.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
    As it enhances the template for item programming (they overhauled many many items) the chance is high there will be values on future items as well. Or they choose to just put a zero in the new template options for new items for "no effect". Depends on how modular they made the whole thing.

Makes sense, though it seems right now not even the things people place on lots actually are affecting the status of a lot that much or not enough as it says they should, or it reverts even when they have added a bunch of stuff, either way.