Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Blackwell Chronicles (On Hiatus)

Comments

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @_sims_Yimi Oh, I not so secretly totally want to make Bonehilda a part of this story, just trying to find a decent excuse haha!
    Morgyn's willingness to talk about Micah's disturbing memories is only marginally higher than talking about their own disturbing memories - there are similarities, after all. You aren't wrong about them only being willing to go there with a goal in mind, though.

The line about burying guilt is probably the single most significant thing you can take away about Morgyn from this chapter.
    @MonaSolstraale Bhahaha this is great 😂❤️
    Finally, you're late, Bonehilda! Plenty of mess for you to clean already! 😆
    edited September 2020
    About time we caught up with our girl Cordelia.

Chapter 35: Lucky

VvLxHrh.jpg
    Post edited by ThePlumbob on
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Ayyy! *waves* Halps!
    Actually if you could enlighten me that would be great. Personally I think Cordy is confused. Her downplaying everything is a coping mechanism. I get her defending Micah. But for her to accept Grace's point so easily, it makes me wonder if Cordy as a person is withered to the point that she would accept anything said by others. That was insensitive of Grace to say (well at this stage the entire chapter highlights Grace's insensitivity, but that line in particular is too hard to ignore), and it was nonsensical for Cordy to agree. Oof help me out here.
    edited September 2020
    @mercuryfoam
    Sure, I can try haha. I've already sort of tried to elaborate in my WP comment. But I guess there's a few things to note.

Grace and Cordelia aren't that close of friends, they are coworkers that get on well and that have shared some lighthearted gossip before. Dandy and Cordelia are arguably closer, and Grace is much closer with Tomax than with Cordelia. Which has a lot to do with why this played out the way it did.

We don't know how much detail Cordelia really gave Grace - enough to get the gist of what went down yes, but you are right that she likely downplayed a lot of it. And now she's making an even greater effort to downplay it to "protect" Micah. Grace is only formulating an opinion based on what Cordelia told her - if Cordelia insists it's not that big of a deal, Grace will not argue. She's just trying to make sense of all of this crazy story that Cordelia had told her about, especially since some of what Cordelia's said seems to be conflicting - she says she's worried about Micah's presence, but then insists he's not dangerous, so Grace is just trying to figure out which it is.

And Cordelia is overplaying the level to which she agrees with the house situation for Micah's sake. She is definitely not actually as sold on the idea as she made it sound to Grace, she's exaggerating to convince Grace that a vampire in Glimmerbrook is really not that big of a deal. Never assume anybody in this story is completely honest all the time :)

As for why Cordelia feels the need to defend Micah in the first place, there's a few reasons for that - I can get into them if you like, but I don't think Cordelia herself really understands.

Edit: One more thing about Grace - at the risk of sounding like an awful person: Imagine you find out that vampires are real, and someone you know was just held captive by them. they managed to get out, but now are telling you one of the vampires is in your neighbourhood. While this may not sound pretty, I think a lot of people's first reaction would be "oh plum, what does this mean for me, is everybody in town in danger now?" more so than anything else. Perhaps that is awful, but I don't think human nature is always all that nice.
    Post edited by ThePlumbob on
    edited September 2020
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    @mercuryfoam
    Sure, I can try haha. I've already sort of tried to elaborate in my WP comment. But I guess there's a few things to note.

We don't know how much detail Cordelia really gave Grace - enough to get the gist of what went down yes, but you are right that she likely downplayed a lot of it. And now she's making an even greater effort to downplay it to "protect" Micah. Grace is only formulating an opinion based on what Cordelia told her - if Cordelia insists it's not that big of a deal, Grace will not argue. She's just trying to make sense of all of this crazy story that Cordelia had told her about, especially since some of what Cordelia's said seems to be conflicting - she says she's worried about Micah, but then insists he's not dangerous, so Grace is just trying to figure out which it is.

And Cordelia is overplaying the level to which she agrees with Grace for Micah's sake. She is definitely not actually as sold on the idea as she made it sound to Grace, she's exaggerating to convince Grace that a vampire in Glimmerbrook is really not that big of a deal. Never assume anbody in this story is completely honest all the time :)

Thanks for that. That clears things up for me.
    she likely downplayed a lot of it. And now she's making an even greater effort to downplay it to "protect" Micah. Grace is only formulating an opinion based on what Cordelia told her - if Cordelia insists it's not that big of a deal, Grace will not argue. She's just trying to make sense of all of this crazy story that Cordelia had told her about, especially since some of what Cordelia's said seems to be conflicting - she says she's worried about Micah, but then insists he's not dangerous, so Grace is just trying to figure out which it is.

And Cordelia is overplaying the level to which she agrees with Grace for Micah's sake. She is definitely not actually as sold on the idea as she made it sound to Grace, she's exaggerating to convince Grace that a vampire in Glimmerbrook is really not that big of a deal. Never assume anybody in this story is completely honest all the time :)
    It's not surprising that she downplayed a lot of it. Her low self-image has made her develop this toxic habit. The way I see it, Cordy has been downplaying her views and needs throughout the entire story. The only time she sort of stood up for her own needs was the dinner with the Charms and that turned out into a huge disaster lol.
    And Cordelia is overplaying the level to which she agrees with Grace for Micah's sake. She is definitely not actually as sold on the idea as she made it sound to Grace, she's exaggerating to convince Grace that a vampire in Glimmerbrook is really not that big of a deal. Never assume anybody in this story is completely honest all the time :)
    Yeah! That's why this chapter didn't sit well with me. I actually reread Grace's and Cordy's conversation 5 times and at the end of the fifth I was still going "wut?!" This girl went from the disassociation stage to formulating actions stage lol. I could be wrong in that, but the descriptions all point to Dandy not having any deep conversations with her to process what happened, (he might have filled her in on what happened, but to help her embrace it, make sense of it, nada.) and we've just confirmed she didn't have a deep conversation with Grace either. Yikes. But it makes sense now why her actions didn't make sense to me (heh! so much sense thrown about here :joy: )
    As for why Cordelia feels the need to defend Micah in the first place, there's a few reasons for that - I can get into them if you like, but I don't think Cordelia herself really understands.
    Ooof no thanks. I'm happy with Cordy being confused and for her to find out why she's feeling that way and finding out together with her. That's fun. :) I do have a theory in mind but I'm not going to acknowledge it.
    Grace and Cordelia aren't that close of friends, they are coworkers that get on well and that have shared some lighthearted gossip before. Dandy and Cordelia are arguably closer, and Grace is much closer with Tomax than with Cordelia. Which has a lot to do with why this played out the way it did. We don't know how much detail Cordelia really gave Grace - enough to get the gist of what went down.
    :cold_sweat: Ooof you just broke my heart. To find out that one of my favourite characters is not perfect. (Yudothistome) :lol: I had Grace on a high pedestal there. :lol::bawling:
    Edit: One more thing about Grace - at the risk of sounding like an awful person: Imagine you find out that vampires are real, and someone you know was just held captive by them. they managed to get out, but now are telling you one of the vampires is in your neighbourhood. While this may not sound pretty, I think a lot of people's first reaction would be "oh plum, what does this mean for me, is everybody in town in danger now?" more so than anything else. Perhaps that is awful, but I don't think human nature is always all that nice.
    Aww.. but it's okay if she thinks like this. Self-preservation is a normal first instinct. I'm hung up on something else. :joy:
    @mercuryfoam
    Her low self-image has made her develop this toxic habit. The way I see it, Cordy has been downplaying her views and needs throughout the entire story.
    Oh definitely, she does not have a good self-image at all, she grew up isolated an shunned, after all. That does not make someone develop a great deal of self-worth. Think back of her reaction when she was locked up in Micah's room and heard Morgyn's voice in the house - her reaction was something along the lines of "Oh, is Morgyn here to save me? No, probably not, why would they do that?" Definitely not a great deal of self-worth there.
    I could be wrong in that, but the descriptions all point to Dandy not having any deep conversations with her to process what happened, (he might have filled her in on what happened, but to help her embrace it, make sense of it, nada.)
    Well, she did specifically tell Dandy she didn't want to talk about it when she first came down to Sylvan Glade after returning from Forgotten Hollow. Poor Dandy, you have very high expectations of him - he's an elf that's been living on his own in a magical meadow for years and knows very little about people, he's no Dr Phil :D He's doing the best he can.
    Ooof you just broke my heart. To find out that one of my favourite characters is not perfect. (Yudothistome) :lol: I had Grace on a high pedestal there. :lol::bawling:
    D'aww, I'm sorry. Of course Grace is not perfect - I don't think anyone in this is. I wonder what made you think of her so highly. Of course she's closer with Tomax than with Cordelia - Tomax has been her friend since she was little and they have moved to Glimmerbrook together and are still housemates, Cordelia is a girl she's known through work for a few months.
    @ThePlumbob
    Ooof you just broke my heart. To find out that one of my favourite characters is not perfect. (Yudothistome) :lol: I had Grace on a high pedestal there. :lol::bawling:
    D'aww, I'm sorry. Of course Grace is not perfect - I don't think anyone in this is. I wonder what made you think of her so highly. Of course she's closer with Tomax than with Cordelia - Tomax has been her friend since she was little and they have moved to Glimmerbrook together and are still housemates, Cordelia is a girl she's known through work for a few months.
    What can I say? I have reader bias :tongue: No seriously! I mean it, I loved her when she appeared. She was everything Cordy needed at that moment so I totally inflated her to my liking <3 This moment just let's me know she is mortal that's all. And even now, I'm still in denial so that pedestal is still there. So yeah, prime example of that bias in place. Heh!
    I could be wrong in that, but the descriptions all point to Dandy not having any deep conversations with her to process what happened, (he might have filled her in on what happened, but to help her embrace it, make sense of it, nada.)
    Well, she did specifically tell Dandy she didn't want to talk about it when she first came down to Sylvan Glade after returning from Forgotten Hollow. Poor Dandy, you have very high expectations of him - he's an elf that's been living on his own in a magical meadow for years and knows very little about people, he's no Dr Phil :D He's doing the best he can.
    Ooh oops! Looks like I did it again. I did it in the reading circle too. Sorry if I seem to come off as being critical. I do not mean to sound like I'm chastising Dandy for not providing her that kind of support. I understand why he can't and I believe you know that I do. My pointing out that Dandy did not have any deep conversations with her to process her experiences is actually a neutral statement. No criticism, no anger or frustration whatsoever. It's merely an observation. Sort of what you do when you're doing a science experiment and you need to figure out all the variables so you simply omit one by one through unbiased observation and analysis. When I go into full dissect mode, I tend to forget to wrap my words in a more positive light. So most of the time I come across as distant and cold. No worries. Dandy is still my favourite character <3 And you're right. I'd hurt Dandy's feelings if I said it so straight-forwardly like that. Will make note of this moment for the future! :)

@mercuryfoam
    Haha that pesky reader bias!

Oh I'm not offended, and the remark about Dandy was very much meant jokingly - I don't often liken people to Dr Phil haha.

Don't think you need to filter yourself at all! I don't think you sounded distant and cold, if anything I did read it as you being frustrated with the characters because you want them to do better - but that wouldn't be a bad thing either, would just mean you're invested. You can always express your thoughts when reading, even when you don't agree with what the characters are doing, they are bound to mess up :) I wouldn't want you to think you need to censor yourself around here, or not be honest. I have a tendency to try to see things from everyone's perspective, so I may try to "justify" character behaviour, but that doesn't mean I'm offended. Rest assured if that if you criticise my messy cast, I can take it :)
    @DeafSimmer
    You're right, she doesn't. But I guess she doesn't have much reason to, with how her life's been going so far. Feel free to ship whoever you like, you never know what could happen :)
    edited September 2020
    @mercuryfoam
    Haha that pesky reader bias!

Oh I'm not offended, and the remark about Dandy was very much meant jokingly - I don't often liken people to Dr Phil haha.

Don't think you need to filter yourself at all! I don't think you sounded distant and cold, if anything I did read it as you being frustrated with the characters because you want them to do better - but that wouldn't be a bad thing either, would just mean you're invested. You can always express your thoughts when reading, even when you don't agree with what the characters are doing, they are bound to mess up :) I wouldn't want you to think you need to censor yourself around here, or not be honest. I have a tendency to try to see things from everyone's perspective, so I may try to "justify" character behaviour, but that doesn't mean I'm offended. Rest assured if that if you criticise my messy cast, I can take it :)
    Ah okay. I have offended people in the past so I clarify whenever it happens.

I make a point to see from other's perspective too. I noticed our entire tea party has that trait hence we like each others' stories even though our characters are pretty messed up. I'm frustrated yes, but not at the characters (I'll consider myself evil if I'm frustrated at Cordy or Dandy given their limited locus of control). What I'm frustrated about is that Cordy's healing process didn't go in the direction I wanted. (I wanted her to have the healthiest direction ofc, but it's Blackwell chronicles. :joy: ) Hence, I went on a quest for answers in the characters themselves. I was confused, then surprised, then disappointed in Grace because I have an inkling of why she acted the way she did and after clarification of her character, my inference still stands so lol ok. I just need to realign my expectations. :joy:

That said I wouldn't be surprised if my frustration bled into the characters themselves. And as I say this I'm aware that even as I claim to view from all angles, my own experiences colors my lenses so objectivity itself is arguable. :)

Btw I like the 'character twists' of your stories. It was in Bloomer legacy too. I came to regard this as your signature lol.

EDIT:
    Cordy or Dandy given their limited locus of control
    That is a neutral observation. :lol:

edited September 2020
    @mercuryfoam
    Don't worry, I don't offend easily :D And I always want to know your thoughts! :)<3

Makes sense, you are frustrated with the situation because you want what's best for them, I totally get that :) But yeah, healthy healing for Cordie... you might be 8-10 years too late (however old she was when her mum died). At least with this trauma, she does have some kind of support network, so that's a start, even if it's not ideal.

We do like flawed characters in the tea party, don't we? :) Haha I don't know if I aim for character twists per say, people are complicated and there's more to most people than meets the eye, so I try to have characters who are not necessarily purely good or purely bad. They're just people (even though they're technically elves and vampires and spellcasters lol).
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    My comment below is a little longer than usual.
    Now I revise what I said in my WP comments after reading your explanation. I now see that Cordelia is just burying her experience and hasn't fully dealt with it. She's downplaying what happened to protect Micah, and it is also a coping mechanism for her. Makes sense because the way she dealt with trauma in the past was run from it, and that's all she really knows is avoidance.

The Dandy thing makes sense, he does have a naïve view of the world and I don't know if he fully comprehends what Cordelia is going through. Or maybe he does. Maybe something happened in his past and he chose to bury it (like Cordelia is doing now) and hide in Sylvan Glade. I have a little more sympathy for L Faba (maybe not the correct word, but I can understand her protectiveness of Dandy). I'm guessing L Faba sees Cordelia as a threat because Cordelia really doesn't know Dandy as well as she thinks she does, and this may put him in danger. Dandy is also really bad at weighing the consequences and how dangerous a situation really is, and I bet L Faba sort of feels like a big sister or his protector because of this. I still love Dandy, but I definitely see that his connection with Cordelia might not be as deep as I once thought. I still think they respect each other and care for each other as friends and Dandy is willing to put himself in danger to protect Cordelia and I think she would do the same for him, but as far as really knowing what the other is going through or trying to understand the other person, I don't think they are at that point. They don't really talk to each other or open up about deeper, harder topics. Just my two cents on the whole situation. I could be off on my interpretations, and I will probably revise them as I read further. :)
    @lone_cat
    I don't think there was necessarily anything wrong with your original assessment. Yes, Cordelia hasn't fully dealt with her experience - but then it's only been two weeks. I would argue that being in a safe place with someone who clearly cares about her and was not pushing her to confront her feelings about the experience was a good thing for her. I've certainly had more exposure to people than Dandy has, but if a friend of mine went through a traumatic experience, I don't think I would be pressing them to open up about it before they themselves were ready, and Cordelia did reference not wanting to discuss it both in today's chapter and the last one we saw her in. But she does acknowledge that the event happened, and is trying to slowly get back to her normal life. I think there's definitely other characters in the story that do a greater deal of burying past experiences than Cordelia does *cough* Morgyn *cough.*

But that's just my own take on it, I'm sure people will have differing opinions - which is great, I always find it interesting how people interpret things, so don't take this as me saying that your assessment of the situation is right or wrong. There's definitely loads of different ways it can be viewed!

(Side note, this had me imagining how it would go if Cordelia did try to actually explore her trauma in a professional setting, just imagine her therapy visit: "I have been followed by fairies ever since my mother's death, and then got kidnapped by vampires" :D:D She would get locked up lol!)

In any case, we don't fully know how the last two weeks in Sylvan Glade have gone in two much detail - I have sort of deliberately glossed over them because they didn't present a great deal of new information in my mind, and we have already seen quite a lot of how Dandy and Cordie are with each other up till now. Let's not forget Dandelion was the only person to realise Cordelia was missing on his own, and completely flipped about her being in danger. There is actually a Dandy-focused chapter coming up very soon (not the next one, but the the one after), so perhaps that might answer some questions about his relationship with Cordelia.

Oops, sorry I wrote you an essay in return! And again, this is just me offering counter views because apparently I love to be controversial lol. But please don't take this as me saying your views aren't valid, you're definitely raising some good points :)
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    No offense taken. :) That does bring up a good point. I definitely would not want to push a friend to talk about a traumatic experience if they didn't feel like they were ready. And it has only been two weeks, so the memory is still fresh and raw in her memory and she might not be ready to talk about it. And I do believe it was helpful for Cordelia to go to Sylvan Glade. It was probably the best course of action for her, and she also realized that she needed to get out and get back to work after two weeks. Yeah, that would not go over so well for her if she was in a professional setting, she'd probably be heavily medicated as well.

I am looking forward to reading Dandy's perspective, and it will answer some of my questions about him. And also shed some light on his motivations and how he views Cordelia and his relationship.
    @lone_cat
    Yes, it's been pointed out to me that we've not seen too much of Dandy's perspective, so I thought maybe I should address that. I'm glad you're looking forward to it because it's a stupidly long chapter :D
  • mypalsim1mypalsim1 Posts: 4,282 Member
    It would make an interesting twist if all Morgyn's lovers decided to date each other instead. :naughty:
    edited September 2020
    @mypalsim1 By all of Morgyn's lovers, do you mean past and present? Because that's a lot of people :D
    I know you're just campaigning for more Tomax. He'd need to get over his grumpiness first. :D
  • mypalsim1mypalsim1 Posts: 4,282 Member
    @mypalsim1 By all of Morgyn's lovers, do you mean past and present? Because that's a lot of people :D
    I know you're just campaigning for more Tomax. He'd need to get over his grumpiness first. :D

Oh, yeah. Any or all would be awesome. Just something to give Morgyn a taste of their own medicine. ;)
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    Looks like I missed quite the discussion! :mrgreen:

Chapter 35
    Looks like Cordelia might have a mild case of after-vampiric kidnapping PTSD. It taking her a week to even leave the Glades says enough. I’m glad Dandy was there for her, even though Cordelia seems to have used her time with him to push the event away from her mind rather than work through it. Can’t blame her for that, though. Poor girl.

Aaah, and her pushing it down seems to have coloured the event to Grace, too. She’s understandably freaked out, but also kind of insensitive to what her friend just went through.
    “I don’t know about Morgyn,” Cordelia admitted. “But I hope you can trust me. Micah isn’t dangerous.”
    … your definition of dangerous is a wee bit skewed, lass. :|

Morgyn keeps baffling me. They don’t think for a second about Cordelia’s feelings regarding living with a vampire, but at the same time they’re caring enough to cover for Cordelia at her job. Gah! Morgyn, will you ever make sense? xD
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    edited September 2020
    @_sims_Yimi
    Yes, Cordelia is understandably worried about walking out in the open. I think she can handle her own reflexion in the mirror now, so that's good, right?

Haha I'm sure she knows Micah is dangerous. Who is she even trying to convince here anyway, Grace or herself? :)

Maybe Morgyn saw Darrel for another reason and just happened to casually mention it. Or maybe they had such a good time on the botanical gardens date they decided to throw Cordelia a bone. Or maybe whatever their reasoning for Micah and Cordelia living together is outweighs the importance of Cordelia's feelings on the matter in their mind. Or maybe they have dedicated their life to baffling one gnome army commanding supervillain and any other motivations are secondary :mrgreen:
    edited September 2020
    It's been a while since I did a chapter with a song, so I thought I'd throw one in below.

For those of you who are still interested in my weird music obsession for some reason, once you have read the chapter, I have a new relationship song to infuriate you with for you to enjoy.
    Cordelia and Morgyn:
    Guano Apes - Rain
    (Audio quality on this one is kind of weird - you may want to just find it on Spotify instead since I couldn't find a decent video version, with it being an old song.)
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    I love that song. Only started listening to the lyrics the second time around, but it suits them right now so well, yes. Aw, man. Cordelia. T.T

I was so focused on Cordelia’s breakdown with Morgyn that I forgot to mention Cordie and Micah. That actually took a lot of courage, for her to face Micah like that. Granted, she froze in the moment more than consciously deciding to meet him, but still. I wonder if they can slowly become friends. Micah is still super cold to her, but I’m thinking that is a defence mechanism more than anything.

Interesting snippet from Micah how he’s been around her long enough to… what? No longer be tempted by her blood? Is that how it works? Can they actually live together safely now, even if he has a bad day in terms of blood supply? Hmmm. I wonder.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘