Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Blackwell Chronicles (On Hiatus)

Comments

• SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    @ThePlumbob That's excluded me :P I'm only loving him more with every episode xD
    koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @Skeilah Yay! :) I suppose Morgyn is one of those characters people either love or hate - or love to hate, of course :D
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    @ThePlumbob
    I have to say this again. I'm in awe. You're a master of gradual build ups and huge revelations. It's not a roller coaster, but dang if it did not smack me in the face as I dumbly chewed on popcorn.
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    Chapter 32
    I was so stuck in analyzing Morgyn that I completely forgot about Dandy <3 but even this line from Dandelion further highlights Morgyn’s odd behaviour:

“I’m just happy you’re safe.”

Morgyn never even expressed joy at having Cordelia back. They were deadpan and matter-of-fact in everything, except when they were bragging about their abilities. They never sympathized with Cordelia. Didn’t ask if she was all right. Or scared. Or if something bad had happened to her while she was a LITERAL PRISONER of blood-thirsty vampires that were using her as a bargaining chip and could have killed her at any moment.
    It’s so good that she has Dandy. I wouldn’t want to ever go back to that campsite again.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,374 Member
    I really like Morgyn, but I still think: Too much force in an immature body :/
    Dandy <3
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    I left a long novel about my thoughts on Morgyn in your WP comments. I can't say that I hate them or love them. They are complex and I love how you've written them. I do think Morgyn finds empathy to be a waste of time and effort, and it is probably a protective device that they have built up. I think Morgyn just does what they think needs to be done and doesn't factor in people's feelings. They aren't going at this with malicious intent. I also think that in Morgyn's life nothing lasts forever. They lost their parents, they lost their mentor, students and lovers probably come and go, and I think that they approach life knowing that things change and getting attached is a waste of emotional energy. Just my two cents on Morgyn.

Not that I am justifying what they did. I do think that they hurt Cordelia without intending to. And Cordelia also has every right to be hurt by this. But at least she is realizing that Morgyn isn't what she had imagined, that their pedestal is starting to crumble and Cordelia is seeing their true intentions. I'm glad she has Dandy, that's what she needs right now.
    edited August 2020
    @everyone Oof guys, thank you all for reading! I'm really enjoying everyone's extremely thoughtful comments on today's chapter and am floored that you're all taking the time to think about my story (and Morgyn) so profoundly! I will respond to everyone's comments individually, but for now I'm slightly struggling with how much I can/want to reveal, so I'll take a bit of time to see if I can come up with better responses for all of you apart from "I can't confirm or deny any of these allegations" :D

In the meantime, pancakes for everyone!

MYhbAHe.jpg
    (Yes, this is a recycled image some of have seen already! I blame you for distracting me with thoughtful theories! :D )
    I am totally fine with an "I can't confirm or deny," if you don't want to reveal anything. This was just my armchair psychoanalysis of Morgyn and the situation, and I might be completely off, but it's fun to ponder their motivations.

And yay for Dandy's pancakes! <3
    edited August 2020
    Ok, I've consulted my gnome attorney (thanks for sparing him from the army, Yimi!), and am finally back with some kind of responses...

@DeafSimmer
    That's understandable! They've never been unproblematic to begin with, after all.

@mercuryfoam
    Thank you so much! I don't know about master :D I do like to have layers to the story, and in spite of my self-indulgent tendencies I try to only include things when I feel they are important in some way, even though it may not feel like it at the time (and sometimes I fail at my own rules, haha). Apart from really big reveals, like chapter 30, I'm actually pretty bad at predicting what people do and don't pick up on and when, because to me, those layers are all there all the time. But seeing how people interpret them is half the fun :)

@_sims_Yimi
    Gah, you forgot about Dandy?!?! :o The horror, clearly Morgyn has gone a step too far! Nobody should separate Yimi and Dandy! :D
    Morgyn and Dandy's responses were definitely nothing alike, that's for sure. And Dandy's glade is the perfect refuge for Cordie now.

@MonaSolstraale
    That's a really interesting way of wording it, and has me wondering about all kinds of things to do with the body, the mind and magical ability... food for thought for sure!

@lone_cat
    I love novel-length comments! :) I try to make my characters complex, although that often ultimately boils down to just a few rules/directives I have for each of them. But even then, they can surprise me sometimes! I can't really say much about your theories, but they're very interesting to read!

You're right about that crumbling pedestal, Cordelia is heartbroken. Poor thing. Yes, definitely a good thing she can go to Dandy right now.
    @ThePlumbob Thanks :blush:
    I am glad if you can brew on it :smile:
    Maybe it's just my formulations that come out a little funny, but I really see a clear connection between Morgyn as a child and as an adult.
    They do not mean any harm but the abilities exceed the intention.
    @MonaSolstraale
    I don't think the way you worded it was funny or odd at all, just thought-provoking!

Morgyn as a child definitely had far too much power that they didn't know what to do with. As for present-day Morgyn, I suppose that remains to be seen :)
    Very exciting :smile:
    That Morgyn does not take care of the man on the bridge makes me think autistic!
    .... but such an earthly diagnosis probably does not belong in a magical story. I guess it only tells that Morgyn arouses my curiosity.
    I'm curious and ready for a little bit of everything <3
    @DeafSimmer
    Micah would have probably preferred to stay in the Magic Realm - no sun and plenty of old tomes with all sorts of wisdom. But only the sages live in the Magic Realm, so who would he feed on? Not that the other two sages besides Morgyn would have particularly welcomed him in the realm anyway.

@MonaSolstraale
    Maybe Morgyn just doesn't like Darrel :D Ready for a bit of everything is a very good approach to have :)
    Micah is a vampire with a conscience and doesn't completely drain his victims like the other vampires. Darrel was lucky in that regard. And it's cool that Micah, and I'm guessing, other vampires can read the personality/past of a person they drink from. But I'm guessing it would be a little weird to know who your meal is and what kind of life they have/had.

I'm interested to see how this date goes, or what Morgyn does or says. I don't completely trust them, and I think that Micah is right to be wary.
    @lone_cat
    Yes, Darrel was lucky.

I think the vampire thirst in my universe is not necessarily how we experince hunger and thirst, but it's probably very addictive. Being a vampire is isolating, so drinking is their only way of still connecting with the world and people. So I'd say the main drive to drink is not the need, per say. It is still needed for the vampires to stay "alive," too, though.

After years of living with Verena, Micah is generally wary/distrustful of anyone, but yes, especially so of Morgyn - and that's definitely understandable.
    So I don't really like this chapter, but I feel like I can't move anywhere with all these elephants in rooms and skeletons in the closet, so here you go.
    It seems like a very melancholy and mournful Chit Chat :'(
    .... I'm thinking about whether the elephants disappeared, or were given more room to frolic
  • SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    Me on the last three pictures: “ehhh, well, that escalated quickly”😂
    koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
    @MonaSolstraale
    Oh I love what you said about the elephants! I don't know if they'll ever fully go away, but they can definitely be made more cooperative. As long as they make way for me to move around the room as I clear those skeletons out of the closet :D

@DeafSimmer
    Yes, they might just have more in common than we initially thought. Perhaps they could be good for each other. Or perhaps it will be a complete trainwreck. Time will tell. :)

@Skeilah
    Haha! Nothing like a cheery chat about disturbing similarities in their dark past to get them in the mood for locking lips :D
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    Skeletons need to be moving around, after all. Like Bonehilda... oh wait. :D
    “They didn’t really want to know, but clearly, this woman was on Micah’s mind, and if they were to make any meaningful strides tonight, she had to be cleared out of the way.”
    This is very telling. Morgyn isn’t interested in actually learning about Micah and getting to know him better, or even cares about what he went through. They have a goal in mind and his attachment to Carys is an obstacle to get rid of. Their comment of them burying their guilt and moving on is a big one, too. I wonder if that’s why they turned into the person they are now, and why it’s so easy for them to move on from one person to the next without the slightest care about hurting them.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘