Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Official Countdown Thread To EA Play 2020 (Cancelled)

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    It seems to me that they just wanted to market to the next generation of Sims players for the Sims 4.

Again, I'll mention that EA just rebranded TS4 last year. People really underestimate the significance of this. It means that the game still has a while to go. It means that they are going to continue to closely watch trends for the younger potential players and try to draw them in and further expand the player base. They would not have rebranded if the game wasn't going to last a few more years. Rebranding is re-jumpstarting the franchise for new players.

I know it's not what people want to hear, but it is apparently what's happening. It's right there in front of us.

I am actually gonna laugh HARD when they add so much content to this game that it breaks and no one can play....The game engine is breaking y'all, not wise to add more content (I means years worth, sure, it can handle another SP, EP, and GP.)

If after The Sims 3 they didn't learn this lesson, The Sims 5 will certainly follow the same path. We can't change bad habits.

I already imagine a launcher like TS3 which recommend to play with only 3 packs at a time :D

xD I will admit, THAT was stupid!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited June 2020
    It seems to me that they just wanted to market to the next generation of Sims players for the Sims 4.

Again, I'll mention that EA just rebranded TS4 last year. People really underestimate the significance of this. It means that the game still has a while to go. It means that they are going to continue to closely watch trends for the younger potential players and try to draw them in and further expand the player base. They would not have rebranded if the game wasn't going to last a few more years. Rebranding is re-jumpstarting the franchise for new players.

I know it's not what people want to hear, but it is apparently what's happening. It's right there in front of us.

I am actually gonna laugh HARD when they add so much content to this game that it breaks and no one can play....The game engine is breaking y'all, not wise to add more content (I means years worth, sure, it can handle another SP, EP, and GP.)

Then I'm gonna sit back and say "See, we tried to tell you."

In short, this game is a mess.

I mean, they did that already with Sims 3. If you try to play it vanilla, it's a complete mess. It was abandoned in a sorry state.

So that just shows that as long as players are supporting the game and buying content, they are just going to continue to power through it until they're ready to move on.

Keep in mind too, that the more dlc added to a Sims game, any Sims game, the harder it gets to weed out bugs and fix errors. So at this point, they are most likely going to be focusing on the priority errors and the ones that are easier to correct, to keep the game running. But the little, annoying bugs or the ones that need more time and resources? Some of those may never get fixed.

That's one reason why I am afraid of more DLC, the game has SO much bugs now, and it will just be even more bugger with MORE bugs the more they add.

True. And this is also a really good argument for planning Sims games for five year increments maximum and then moving on. It would mean less room for newer, more creative packs, but it might be better for maintaining stability. They could also finally take that step forward and complete the base game a little better than they have been with weather, activities, a deep behavioral/personality system AI, world manipulation, and play options. If they actually packed the EPs better in future games, they wouldn't need to stretch the game's life out. I'd even be willing to pay a little more for EPs if they felt really full like they used to. Charging the same as 20 years ago is understandably underpriced, and could be a big factor in why EPs never feel like they have enough.

Honestly, I would not mind spending more money on a more robust base game.

Especially considering that a new base game would not cost more than what it would cost you to buy 1 Expansion Pack and 1 Gameplay Pack together for the sims4.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

I already imagine a launcher like TS3 which recommend to play with only 3 packs at a time :D

I'm not sure what happened, but recently Origin reinstalled my game because I tried to install Reshade to see what effects I can add to it but messed it up somehow. Even though the launcher suggested that I play with 3 packs at a time, I loaded all of them, both EPs and SPs since I've been reading that some other people have been able to play it with all of them loaded.

....and the game actually plays well! The only thing that made it lag was a mod but once I took that I out, my game ran well again.

And this is on Origin with patch 1.69, not 1.67!

So not sure what happened but now I can play it with all the EPs, SPs, Sims 3 Store content, CCs and mods. *Shrug* I'm genuinely bewildered but really happy about it too! :)

PS: I DID move my game to an SSD as well. Maybe that has helped too!

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    I still can't see how it's even possible to play Origin games on Steam. I have Steam for my Civilization V, Civilization VI & Age of Empires.
    Steam has never reconized current Origin games.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that they want to get new players in after all are taste change 2 I mean I'm not the same as I was 6 years ago so I think the Sims 4 should change with time to and the Sims
    In general I don't think it's all bad I don't think it's all good but everything changes that's pretty much the one of the only constants in life
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited June 2020
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I still can't see how it's even possible to play Origin games on Steam. I have Steam for my Civilization V, Civilization VI & Age of Empires.
    Steam has never reconized current Origin games.

I bought Crysis 3 on Steam just recently. I downloaded and installed it in Steam. When I ran it for the first time, a pop-up window appeared where I can enter my Origin info. Pressed enter, it automatically registered in Origin (I checked my library in my Origin client and Crysis 3 was added), so now it can be installed and played either through Origin or Steam.

I bought it in Steam because it was on sale there, but I prefer installing and playing it in Origin because it only needs to be authenticated once there.
    Also another reason why then trying to bring in a newer audience doesn't bother me is because a lot of people assume that if something is made for a younger audience that you won't like it for a lot of things that just simply not true
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2020
    Also another reason why then trying to bring in a newer audience doesn't bother me is because a lot of people assume that if something is made for a younger audience that you won't like it for a lot of things that just simply not true

I'm going to have to disagree with this. TS4 chases after a 'newer audience', which doesn't think nor want the things I want. It's probably a strong reason of why I think TS4 is so watered down and so immature and kiddy friendly.

ETA: So I don't spam this thread I will ask here, what did Lyndsay do at EA Play? Announce TS4 on Steam? I thought there wasn't going to be anything at all...was that what happened? I didn't watch.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member

I mean, they did that already with Sims 3. If you try to play it vanilla, it's a complete mess. It was abandoned in a sorry state.

So that just shows that as long as players are supporting the game and buying content, they are just going to continue to power through it until they're ready to move on.

Keep in mind too, that the more dlc added to a Sims game, any Sims game, the harder it gets to weed out bugs and fix errors. So at this point, they are most likely going to be focusing on the priority errors and the ones that are easier to correct, to keep the game running. But the little, annoying bugs or the ones that need more time and resources? Some of those may never get fixed.

That's one reason why I am afraid of more DLC, the game has SO much bugs now, and it will just be even more bugger with MORE bugs the more they add.

True. And this is also a really good argument for planning Sims games for five year increments maximum and then moving on. It would mean less room for newer, more creative packs, but it might be better for maintaining stability. They could also finally take that step forward and complete the base game a little better than they have been with weather, activities, a deep behavioral/personality system AI, world manipulation, and play options. If they actually packed the EPs better in future games, they wouldn't need to stretch the game's life out. I'd even be willing to pay a little more for EPs if they felt really full like they used to. Charging the same as 20 years ago is understandably underpriced, and could be a big factor in why EPs never feel like they have enough.

Yeah, this is basically my #1 argument for why things like weather and pets should be base game.

Aside from “come on, it’s the future, you can’t call rain a bonus feature any more”, having these major encompassing features in the base game means they get more development time before launch (because deadlines before a game is announced are much easier to move than deadlines for dlc for a game you’re trying to keep actively growing). And it also means that all OTHER dlc is developed with these gameplay interactions already in mind.

Weather is less likely to break your game’s equivalent of GeekCon or playable careers if you had rain from the start.

Honestly even if it’s only a rabbit hole in base game and we need DLC to make it playable and fleshed out, stuff like University should be incorporated at some point from the start as well. The stuff they know the game is going to need to be able to function with should be accounted before when making the base game. There’s no good reason for them to be wondering how to make this or that element fit into the game four years later. You should’ve been thinking about how that element would fit it even before the game was announced, and you should’ve programmed the game with that need for future compatibility in mind.

I mean, this is a lot of shade to throw at devs who I think are doing their absolute best with the time limits and constraints they have to work with. I’m definitely not blaming the coders. But there’s no reason for the next gen that EA couldn’t invest the budget and TIME for the kind of pre-production that anticipates these future roadblocks and plans for them. So even if we have to wait longer for it, we start with a filler game and even with DLC have a less buggy one.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    Cinebar wrote: »

I'm going to have to disagree with this. TS4 chases after a 'newer audience', which doesn't think nor want the things I want. It's probably a strong reason of why I think TS4 is so watered down and so immature and kiddy friendly.

ETA: So I don't spam this thread I will ask here, what did Lyndsay do at EA Play? Announce TS4 on Steam? I thought there wasn't going to be anything at all...was that what happened? I didn't watch.
    yes thats what she said @Cinebar
    I think a lot think a lot of people underestimate younger players to say that its ok for a game to be bad because its made for younger
    people is unfair to kids which I'm not saying sims 4 is bad but I hope to be a writer someday and I want my books to be interesting for all ages

I think a lot think a lot of people underestimate younger players to say that its ok for a game to be bad because its made for younger
    people is unfair to kids which I'm not saying sims 4 is bad but I hope to be a writer someday and I want my books to be interesting for all ages

The point I was making is this, one guru said they were very comfortable with allowing their small children play this game. The game is supposed to be T rated which includes things like sexual content, mild violence, blood, references to alcohol etc. TS4 has hardly any of that and very five year old friendly. Those with more mature minds might find TS4 a little bit too childish with rainbows and unicorns.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

The point I was making is this, one guru said they were very comfortable with allowing their small children play this game. The game is supposed to be T rated which includes things like sexual content, mild violence, blood, references to alcohol etc. TS4 has hardly any of that and very five year old friendly. Those with more mature minds might find TS4 a little bit too childish with rainbows and unicorns.
    oh well I think your right then if there just going for teen they really should relax a little and I think they are they just added free love to the game and being juiced @Cinebar
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited June 2020
    • Speech about representation and diversity in games.
    • Marketing trailer showing different people and how they found their safe place in the sims.
    • Speech about how proud they are about their community and mentioning that there will be more news as the summer goes on.
    • Announcement that the sims4 is coming to steam.
    • Marketing trailer showing pretty much all the packs.
    I find it questionable to represent a safe space for these people with the fact that they want you to buy as many packs as possible. At least a lot of things that they are proud of are in included in the base game as free updates.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

Yeah, this is basically my #1 argument for why things like weather and pets should be base game.

Aside from “come on, it’s the future, you can’t call rain a bonus feature any more”, having these major encompassing features in the base game means they get more development time before launch (because deadlines before a game is announced are much easier to move than deadlines for dlc for a game you’re trying to keep actively growing). And it also means that all OTHER dlc is developed with these gameplay interactions already in mind.

Weather is less likely to break your game’s equivalent of GeekCon or playable careers if you had rain from the start.

Honestly even if it’s only a rabbit hole in base game and we need DLC to make it playable and fleshed out, stuff like University should be incorporated at some point from the start as well. The stuff they know the game is going to need to be able to function with should be accounted before when making the base game. There’s no good reason for them to be wondering how to make this or that element fit into the game four years later. You should’ve been thinking about how that element would fit it even before the game was announced, and you should’ve programmed the game with that need for future compatibility in mind.

I mean, this is a lot of shade to throw at devs who I think are doing their absolute best with the time limits and constraints they have to work with. I’m definitely not blaming the coders. But there’s no reason for the next gen that EA couldn’t invest the budget and TIME for the kind of pre-production that anticipates these future roadblocks and plans for them. So even if we have to wait longer for it, we start with a filler game and even with DLC have a less buggy one.

Normally I hate rabbit hole locations, but you might have a really good idea there. If I knew that rabbit hole venues were just placeholders for future content, I'd be more excited about them. And it would also give players a little bit of insight as to what would be coming up in the future without revealing the details. But then, EA likes to keep their information in a lock box, so I doubt they'd give anything away this way. But it's a really great idea. :)
    #Team Occult
    edited June 2020
    logion wrote: »
    • Speech about representation and diversity in games.
    • Marketing trailer showing different people and how they found their safe place in the sims.
    • Speech about how proud they are about their community and mentioning that there will be more news as the summer goes on.
    • Announcement that the sims4 is coming to steam.
    • Marketing trailer showing pretty much all the packs.
    I find it questionable to represent a safe space for these people with the fact that they want you to buy as many packs as possible. At least a lot of things that they are proud of are in included in the base game as free updates.

they need to get a new marketing team the trailers have been bad lately and that bad for this and new sims games they might be working on

I agree with you and I definitely would like to see the mature humor and gameplay of Sims 2 return.

But, it's also a sign of the times that content has "softened" to such a great degree. For example, look at the old Loony Toons. Remember when kids could watch Bugs Bunny for two hours on a Saturday morning? I used to watch it every week with my grandmother and she found it hilarious because it had so many hidden adult jokes in it that she could relate to. But if you look back at a few of the much older clips, they have some racism and inappropriate references and even 🐸🐸🐸🐸 war humor. It's almost shocking to see in this day and age, which is probably why they don't air anything from the original Mel Blanc toons anymore.

In many ways it's good that the world (or at least American entertainment) is more sensitive now. It used to be standard humor to reference gay people in a derogatory way. Even in the popular show Friends, this is done sometimes, along with some blatant sexism, even though the show tried to be somewhat progressive in its time. I'm still a big fan of the show, but when I rewatch it, there are moments that make me wince.

So, again, I think it's fair to say that each Sims game is a product of its time. Unfortunately, the general populace of the time we are in now, while more embracing and sensitive to inclusivity and culture (which is great thing), is also very easily offended and doesn't have the resilience to brush off things that, even if objectively inoffensive, don't cater to the "All".

In the Sims 1 and 2 days, you could have scandalous cake dancers, mental breakdowns and emotional depression. You could have bullying, harassment, slapstick violence, terror and fear, and discriminating personal romantic preferences - which, on that particular note, people still have today and it's perfectly okay to have preferences in a partner, but no one speaks of them or wants to voice them out of fear of being "called out" as discriminatory, phobic in some way, or any other derogatory term. And we see this fear reflected in The Sims 4. Have you noticed that Sim genders have been erased from the Gallery? The club system never recognized genders so you can't have an "all boys" or "all girls" club because it's not inclusive of "all genders". Instead of the biological sex being recognized, and allowing the default of the male/female majority for those who want those options, they are eliminating it altogether. Players aren't allowed to recognize biological cis male or female. Why? Because the game isn't designed to handle personal identity. So since they can't represent what's going on in every player's mind, or every player's different perception of gender, they erase physical and sexual gender identity to avoid offending, under the claim of being "inclusive". I'm sorry, but erasing any identity is wrong, whether it's "trending" or not. This is the contradiction of trying to please everyone.

Anyway, I feel that there could be a happy medium in the game, that they could always add progressive things in without stripping others. But I don't think that's the road that EA has chosen. I expect Sims 5 to continue to be a Utopian paradise where everyone smiles and gets along and hugs and waves goodbye after fighting. It's plastic and unrelatable and it's an insult to every generation that has fought for something, right up to and including today. Sometimes players just want to unleash in their game, and we should be able to do that at our choosing without EA parenting us. Like we used to.

TLDR: Sorry, I think my post took some twists and turns, but it's all related to why I think the game feels like it is childish. Because it's trying to coddle the younger players specifically (tiptoeing on issues and afraid to offend anyone) while abandoning some of the basics of humanity (true emotional struggles, life traumas, biology and sexual identity) and satirical humor.
    #Team Occult

I agree with you and I definitely would like to see the mature humor and gameplay of Sims 2 return.

But, it's also a sign of the times that content has "softened" to such a great degree. For example, look at the old Loony Toons. Remember when kids could watch Bugs Bunny for two hours on a Saturday morning? I used to watch it every week with my grandmother and she found it hilarious because it had so many hidden adult jokes in it that she could relate to. But if you look back at a few of the much older clips, they have some racism and inappropriate references and even 🌺🌺🌺🌺 war humor. It's almost shocking to see in this day and age, which is probably why they don't air anything from the original Mel Blanc toons anymore.

In many ways it's good that the world (or at least American entertainment) is more sensitive now. It used to be standard humor to reference gay people in a derogatory way. Even in the popular show Friends, this is done sometimes, along with some blatant sexism, even though the show tried to be somewhat progressive in its time. I'm still a big fan of the show, but when I rewatch it, there are moments that make me wince.

So, again, I think it's fair to say that each Sims game is a product of its time. Unfortunately, the general populace of the time we are in now, while more embracing and sensitive to inclusivity and culture (which is great thing), is also very easily offended and doesn't have the resilience to brush off things that, even if objectively inoffensive, don't cater to the "All".

In the Sims 1 and 2 days, you could have scandalous cake dancers, mental breakdowns and emotional depression. You could have bullying, harassment, slapstick violence, terror and fear, and discriminating personal romantic preferences - which, on that particular note, people still have today and it's perfectly okay to have preferences in a partner, but no one speaks of them or wants to voice them out of fear of being "called out" as discriminatory, phobic in some way, or any other derogatory term. And we see this fear reflected in The Sims 4. Have you noticed that Sim genders have been erased from the Gallery? The club system never recognized genders so you can't have an "all boys" or "all girls" club because it's not inclusive of "all genders". Instead of the biological sex being recognized, and allowing the default of the male/female majority for those who want those options, they are eliminating it altogether. Players aren't allowed to recognize biological cis male or female. Why? Because the game isn't designed to handle personal identity. So since they can't represent what's going on in every player's mind, or every player's different perception of gender, they erase physical and sexual gender identity to avoid offending, under the claim of being "inclusive". I'm sorry, but erasing any identity is wrong, whether it's "trending" or not. This is the contradiction of trying to please everyone.

Anyway, I feel that there could be a happy medium in the game, that they could always add progressive things in without stripping others. But I don't think that's the road that EA has chosen. I expect Sims 5 to continue to be a Utopian paradise where everyone smiles and gets along and hugs and waves goodbye after fighting. It's plastic and unrelatable and it's an insult to every generation that has fought for something, right up to and including today. Sometimes players just want to unleash in their game, and we should be able to do that at our choosing without EA parenting us. Like we used to.

TLDR: Sorry, I think my post took some twists and turns, but it's all related to why I think the game feels like it is childish. Because it's trying to coddle the younger players specifically (tiptoeing on issues and afraid to offend anyone) while abandoning some of the basics of humanity (true emotional struggles, life traumas, biology and sexual identity) and satirical humor.

Oh off topic, but do you know they are taking Elmer Fudd's gun away now? In the reboot of the looney tunes (not that I am gonna watch it), they taking away his gun for something else ... This world I swear...when a cartoon character offends you.

But, it's also a sign of the times that content has "softened" to such a great degree. For example, look at the old Loony Toons. Remember when kids could watch Bugs Bunny for two hours on a Saturday morning? I used to watch it every week with my grandmother and she found it hilarious because it had so many hidden adult jokes in it that she could relate to. But if you look back at a few of the much older clips, they have some racism and inappropriate references and even 🌺🌺🌺🌺 war humor. It's almost shocking to see in this day and age, which is probably why they don't air anything from the original Mel Blanc toons anymore.

Oh off topic, but do you know they are taking Elmer Fudd's gun away now? In the reboot of the looney tunes (not that I am gonna watch it), they taking away his gun for something else ... This world I swear...when a cartoon character offends you.

well thats depressing

I heard something about that, but I haven't looked into it. I'm kind of afraid to.

It's very sad when artistic integrity suffers. I've always felt that the arts should be exempt from any politics or social agendas. The whole point of art is to express something, no matter how strange or controversial. It should instigate some kind of emotion. We can even learn things from art, or look back and see stamps of the era it was created in, which makes it part of history. History should never be erased, it should be remembered and learned from.
    #Team Occult

I heard something about that, but I haven't looked into it. I'm kind of afraid to.

It's very sad when artistic integrity suffers. I've always felt that the arts should be exempt from any politics or social agendas. The whole point of art is to express something, no matter how strange or controversial. It should instigate some kind of emotion. We can even learn things from art, or look back and see stamps of the era it was created in, which makes it part of history. History should never be erased, it should be remembered and learned from.

EXACTLY <3 I agree so much. History is made to learn and look toward a brighter future, stop trying to erase and swept everything in history under the rug.

• NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

EXACTLY <3 I agree so much. History is made to learn and look toward a brighter future, stop trying to erase and swept everything in history under the rug.

I think the sensitivity that makes up the zeitgeist is a reflection of learning from history and attempting a change rather than sweeping it under the rug.
    edited June 2020

Most media today including games try to influence others rather than reflect 'the signs of the times' So, I have to disagree it's about the 'times' but rather virtue signalling. It's very sad to me they want to erase heterosexual Sims from the gallery or those who identify biologically as male or female, if that is true about the gallery. I haven't been on the gallery in years, and this only allinates some of us even more. I am all for equality but not special treatment. I still exist and no matter how much they want to erase male or female from the gallery it's a blanant attempt to do just that. I won't conform and will boycott the gallery if they have erased the genders. You are right that's not diversity that's more like our way or the highway. So, by by TS4/EA/Maxis.

Most media today including games try to influence others rather than reflect 'the signs of the times' So, I have to disagree it's about the 'times' but rather virtue signalling. It's very sad to me they want to erase heterosexual Sims from the gallery or those who identify biologically as male or female, if that is true about the gallery. I haven't been on the gallery in years, and this only allinates some of us even more. I am all for equality but not special treatment. I still exist and no matter how much they want to erase male or female from the gallery it's a blanant attempt to do just that. I won't conform and will boycott the gallery if they have erased the genders. You are right that's not diversity that's more like our way or the highway. So, by by TS4/EA/Maxis.

I agree.
    But this is the first time I've heard about the gallery??? Just wow.

well thats depressing

Trying to cancel out the culture of hunting a rabbit. It's that cancel culture that would erase all of traditions, cultures, diversity and make society comply with whatever is acceptable to them on any given day. Rules change tomorrow, oh, wait, it was cancelled, is the mindset of today. Separating one from their traditions is just a first step.