Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Freezer Bunny Club - A Reading Circle

Comments

• _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    @Skeilah Wait, really? So even if you spend years working on getting your bachelor, you STILL can't get your master until you go back and get a super-bachelor? That sounds like a real pain :neutral:
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    @Duvelina happy seriously-belated birthday! Mine is in March, too :smiley:
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    @_sims_Yimi Haha! Same to you. What date does your birthday fall on? You never know when you're going to find your birthday twin.
    @Duvelina Okay, The Universe! Show us weird coincidences! Mine's March 28.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    @_sims_Yimi Aaah, so close! March 27th over here. At least we're both Aries. 😂
  • SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    And then here I am, November 22 :D
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »
    @Skeilah Wait, really? So even if you spend years working on getting your bachelor, you STILL can't get your master until you go back and get a super-bachelor? That sounds like a real pain :neutral:

Yup, and all that just because of my lower grade secondary school... It's not fair because I couldn't really do something about that, but yeah, things like that happen in life. I'm already glad that I got the chance to do the bachelor.
    koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
    @Skeilah Do you actually need a master's to be able to get into certain careers? Or is it just an extra boost for your resumé?
    You'll need a master if you want to start your career higher in the top from young age. Basically it's just money related, because the higher your rank, the more you get paid.
    edited July 2020
    @Skeilah Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. That's the case here in The Netherlands as well, although you can't become a lawyer, judge or prosecutor at all if you haven't gotten your master's in law.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    I got a bachelor's degree post high school. Then I worked on again, off again for 6 years before I went back for my masters. For me it was to change jobs and start a new career path (and yes, make more money). Also I'm the first woman in my family with an advanced degree, and I was the first woman to even finish college. It was a big accomplishment for me and one of the best decisions of my life. I met a current colleague in grad school and found the career-starting job I have and love now because of her.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited July 2020
    Wow... that sounds super complex, @Skeilah. A super bachelor's? I've never heard of that. But it makes sense. Different countries have different systems. Is it to prevent too many people from entering the workforce late? Like otherwise people would be in college a really long time? Or is it just a merits thing?

@Duvelina a master's in law is also required here to be a lawyer. I'm pretty sure you have to practice law first too before you could be a judge, but I could be wrong. That's cool though. I thought really briefly about law school but decided I didn't enjoy debating so that ended that thought quickly.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231 Congratulations on being the first woman in your family to finish college. That's incredible!

Same thing here with becoming a judge. Several years of experience is required. I'm not sure about becoming a prosecutor, but I feel some experience is required for that one too.
  • ajamkeevinajamkeevin Posts: 278 Member
    OK, so, I had been working on my responses to the discussion questions and had almost finished but I accidentally clicked out of the text box and hit the backspace and I lost everything I had been writing. The frustration! :angry: So I took a break, took a nap, grabbed a juicebox, and here I am again :blush: Anyway, @Duvelina congratulations on completing your Bachelor's Degree! That's a huge accomplishment, so well done! Good luck on your Master's Degree, as well. I want to do one, too, but I keep putting it off and right now I'm not sure how doable that is. Oh well, I'll live vicariously through you!~

Here are my answers to the discussion questions, hopefully I can remember everything I had written before!~

Discussion questions
    General
    1. What do you think of my storytelling?
    I like it a lot! I think you have a wonderful ability of immersing the reader into the story by using a nice blend of narration and images. I particularly like that the action all happens through your narration; by this I mean that the lack of dialogue is an interesting choice that makes me feel like I'm inside the characters' heads rather than just witnessing the action. The characters are distinct and relatable, and the chapters, while short, are clear and focused. After each one, I was thirsty for more, so I immediately clicked forward. I'm really looking forward to more, and that's a sign of a great story.

2. What do you think of the overall story so far?
    It's a very interesting story! I like that we as the readers dive directly into the action. Though this is a little confusing at first, I don't think it interferes with the story at all, and we have the very handy character guide and family tree to help us out. I love how you've woven together the stories of the different members of the Villareal family, and I particularly love how everybody gets the focus in different chapters. It's a really nice way to build your little universe, and I love finding out more about each character as the story goes along.

3. What do you think of my ability to portray relationships specifically? Do they feel authentic?
    I think you do a pretty good job of portraying relationships. Specifically, I think you do a great job of fleshing out the characters, giving them each ample time to be presented to the reader, and we find out details about their personalities, their insecurities, their desires, etc., so I feel like we really know them. Because they're well developed, I feel like when you discuss the relationships between them we can understand where they're coming from, or what point they're at. They seem realistic because you've done such a good job of fleshing out the components. They're very believable, and also, very likable. Good job!

4. What do you think of my new blog? Any feedback?
    I loooooove your new blog! It's elegant, simple, and easy to navigate. I can find exactly what I'm looking for in the index, and having the character guide and the family tree easily accessible helps out a lot if I need to go back to look at them at any point. It's a very pleasant blog to explore. :)

In-depth (spoilers)
    5. Do you think I portrayed Sofia’s addiction storyline well?
    Yes. I think you have succeeded in creating a compelling narrative surrounding her addiction, and though I can't truly speak from experience since I fortunately haven't struggled with substance addiction, I fully understood how she got to that point and why it was difficult to get out of that rut. I like that you took the time to allow us as readers to understand that there wasn't particularly a huge reason as to why she was addicted, because I think that's something that's easily forgotten when people get addicted to something. Her reasoning, being bored and unsatisfied with her life up until that point, was very valid and imo very believable. Her quitting and the subsequent withdrawal were also very well done. I have witnessed this period of withdrawal with a couple close friends and I think you've done a good job at representing the difficulty and almost desperation that comes with this period.

6. What is your favourite portrayed relationship, romantic or otherwise, in the story so far and why?
    OK, I may be biased, but honestly my favorite relationship is the one between Hugo and Nelson. I feel like they happened naturally, just two friends that slowly became attracted to each other. It often happens that way! I like that they bring out the best in each other, and I particularly LOVE that Hugo was wise enough to not give into his attraction until his relationship with Sofia had ended. In this way, I feel like their relationship coincides with the upswing in Hugo's life, with him cultivating better habits, and improving himself overall. I like this, it's a very healthy way to begin a relationship and I loved seeing them come together after 25+ chapters of me waiting to see where that initial hint of attraction was going. (Because I loved that you set the possibility of them happening RIGHT from the bat. It was the ultimate tease!)

And, well. This might be surprising but I also really, really like Sofia and Luna's relationship. Not necessarily because I think that they should be beginning something while Luna hasn't even talked to Hugo and while Sofia is going through a difficult period where it's easy to get attached to something else, but because I think this is very, very realistic. Too many times in my life, when I've gone through something difficult, I seem to look at romance as a sort of way to escape the hardships I face, and then the relationship just becomes a replacement instead of me facing the difficulties head on. I really like Luna and Sofia's relationship because it's the one I most identify with (and that sounds kind of sad! But really, it's very well written.)

7. What is your least favourite portrayed relationship, romantic or otherwise, in the story so far and why?
    Oh, yikes. This is a difficult question. But I think in the end I'm pretty confident with my answer: my least favorite relationship is the one Max has with literally anyone else. I can anticipate that there's more to him than what we've seen so far, but honestly every single one of his relationships is toxic (except maybe his relationship to CHESS, haha). I hope that at one point he will realize that he has no one to blame his loneliness on but himself. I'm excited to see what's going to become of him.

8. What do you think of my portrayal of the Villareal family?
    I'll be honest: I've never played with the Villareal family in my own Sims game! I was vaguely familiar with some of their names, but I had never taken the time to get to know them. I think you've done a wonderful job of taking a premade family and really fleshing them out and making them come to life.

9. How would you interpret and describe Max as a character?
    An immature man-child who has a lot of growing up to do. I feel like he was deeply affected by his father passing away and he just became emotionally stunted and, frankly, a toxic presence in his family because of his grief. I hope he does some soul-searching and grows up a little, because I could see him developing into someone who might be tolerable. I don't believe that he's all bad.

10. Who is your favourite character so far and why?
    I think that, because I somehow identify with her struggles (but not with the way she dealt with them), my favorite character is Sofia. She's very relatable, and I like that we've witnessed a lot of development in her. It was not easy to deal with the fallout from her deciding to quit her bubbles, and I think she's brave to try to get over it. I'm very curious to see where she goes from here and what her story with Luna is going to look like.

Some honorable mentions: I like Nelson a lot. He's a good guy, and his personality is lovely. Lucy is also a good character, and very commendable; I like how it's implied that she was a gold-digger but also stepped up when the time came and has been a good mother to her children.

11. Who is your least favourite character and why?
    OK, here's a left-field answer: Neal. He's just annoying and since you haven't quite focused on him yet, I'm not a big fan. He has his OK moments, but it's telling that his most relevant scene so far has been the one where he's beat up by his sister for attempting to steal from her! I'm sure he's an all right guy, but so far he's just... there.

12. Who would you want to see more of?
    Honestly, I'd like to see a little bit more of Jacqueline. I find her story very compelling, even though it hasn't been the most important one in the story. I like rooting for her and I want to see her develop into a confident young woman.

13. What is your favourite storyline and why?
    I mean, it's a little difficult to choose! I really like Hugo's storyline because I'm thrilled to see him rise above his unhappiness and turn his life around by improving his habits and going for Nelson, someone who could truly make him happy after all the negativity surrounding his relationship with Sofia. However, I think the most interesting storyline so far is Sofia's. I just identify with her so much, so her storyline has been the one I've been looking forward the most. I think there's going to be a lot of difficulty in her life while she still tries to move on from the period of addiction in her life, but it's exciting to see her try.

14. What are your predictions for any of the ongoing (or future) storylines?
    Well. Max is probably going to try his absolute hardest to get his group back, and maybe he's going to succeed and have a little crime syndicate. I think we're going to learn more about him, for sure, and he's going to have a redemption arc. Maybe he'll meet someone who changes his point of view a little? I hope! His character has a lot of potential.
    Sofia is probably going to realize that fixating on Luna is not a very good idea given how recent her quitting the bubbles is. Recovery is a difficult path and transferring all your attention to a diversion, no matter how enticing, romantic, and sweet it is, is not going to end well. I predict a lot of heartbreak between her and Luna, but I also anticipate a happy ending.
    Hugo and Nelson, well, I think they're going to try to navigate their relationship to each other as best as they can, but I think that one cliffhanger is hinting at some drama coming in the future. I think there's going to be something (or someone) new coming in and creating tension between them (not necessarily something romantic, just something difficult).
    My predictions are kind of just me stating the obvious :tongue: but that's where I think the story is headed for now!

15. If you could give a piece of advice to one character, who would you choose and what would you say?
    Sofia: I know it seems like the best thing in the world to transfer your focus onto an enticing romantic prospect, but trust me. You're heading for a lot of heartbreak if you don't truly take the time to heal and become the best version of yourself. You're already a special person, you don't need someone else to complete you while you recover. If you truly feel something for Luna and she feels the same way, I'm sure she will understand and will be waiting for you if you decide to really take the time to move on from this difficult period in your life. Work on yourself, girl! Building a relationship on shaky ground doesn't bode well for the romantic construction.

16. Do you have anything of your own to ask or add?
    I don't think I have anything to ask at the moment. Well, maybe: will you be focusing more on the other children (Neal, Juliana, Jacqueline)? Not that we need it, but it would be interesting to learn more about them. I can understand your focus on Hugo, Luna, and Max, though!

Other than that, let me just say that I'm loving your story so far! It's very well-written, interesting, and I'm really enjoying rooting for the characters. :blush:

• ajamkeevinajamkeevin Posts: 278 Member
    edited July 2020
    @Skeilah ah, that's so interesting that you have to do a Super Bachelor's to get into a Master's degree! It's very different from the system I was in (though I guess it's similar to some degree choices in the US). Also, the late months of the year are awesome to have birthdays in! Mine is December 18th, and my mom and brother both have birthdays in November (13 and 20) :blush:
    @AdamsEve1231 it's amazing that you're the first woman in your family to have a degree. That's very commendable, congratulations! The fact that you spent a while working before going back to do your Master's is also inspiring to me, because I'm in that "in-between" period where I know I want to continue my studies but am entirely unsure of what to do. To know that you went back and successfully completed an advanced degree gives me some solace that perhaps I will be able to do so, as well.

I completed a degree in the United States four years ago and have been working on and off as a translator ever since. It's been very difficult for me to truly decide what's next for me, academically, because I know I want to be a student for a while longer, but I've been split between three countries and I've had multiple health issues preventing me from taking the leap into a Graduate program. Hopefully I'll be able to find something good and the stars will align for me!
    edited July 2020
    @ajamkeevin I can so relate! I hate that there's no 'save draft' button on the phone, I'm on there a lot. But even on my laptop I forget to press the button sometimes and it's the most frustrating there ever when everything is gone. Thanks for typing it all again. I appreciate it. And you getting a juice box sounded cute. 😂 I wrote you a wall of text. Took me a while, but I got there.

General
    I like it a lot! I think you have a wonderful ability of immersing the reader into the story by using a nice blend of narration and images. I particularly like that the action all happens through your narration; by this I mean that the lack of dialogue is an interesting choice that makes me feel like I'm inside the characters' heads rather than just witnessing the action. The characters are distinct and relatable, and the chapters, while short, are clear and focused. After each one, I was thirsty for more, so I immediately clicked forward. I'm really looking forward to more, and that's a sign of a great story.

Thank you so much. That's exactly what I wanted to convey in my story. I wanted to put the readers in the character's mind and imagine for themselves how the characters would exactly react. It's good to hear that I'm successfully doing that. I've also heard a few times it's a good binge read and it makes me happy that the story is compulsively readable.
    It's a very interesting story! I like that we as the readers dive directly into the action. Though this is a little confusing at first, I don't think it interferes with the story at all, and we have the very handy character guide and family tree to help us out. I love how you've woven together the stories of the different members of the Villareal family, and I particularly love how everybody gets the focus in different chapters. It's a really nice way to build your little universe, and I love finding out more about each character as the story goes along.

So it's not downright confusing for everyone. I do realise the beginning is a little confusing and all of your comments do make me think about doing a prequel story or at least a prologue. I'm not sure when I would do that but it's an interesting thought. Writing the next sequence of events in the little household bios and choosing whomever I'm going to rotate to next is part of the fun for me. I'm trying to keep it balanced but sometimes I notice I get so into a household (like Max) that I have a huge amount of pictures to get through and a couple of updates will follow that household. I don't think that's bad per se, but I don't want to create a situation where someone forgets a household exists. So I'm trying to pay better attention to that.
    I think you do a pretty good job of portraying relationships. Specifically, I think you do a great job of fleshing out the characters, giving them each ample time to be presented to the reader, and we find out details about their personalities, their insecurities, their desires, etc., so I feel like we really know them. Because they're well developed, I feel like when you discuss the relationships between them we can understand where they're coming from, or what point they're at. They seem realistic because you've done such a good job of fleshing out the components. They're very believable, and also, very likable. Good job!

Thank you! I'm getting many reassurances about the believability of the characters and how they feel like actual personalities. I love these characters very much and I'm not always sure I get that across, but it seems that I do.
    I loooooove your new blog! It's elegant, simple, and easy to navigate. I can find exactly what I'm looking for in the index, and having the character guide and the family tree easily accessible helps out a lot if I need to go back to look at them at any point. It's a very pleasant blog to explore. :)

Good to know I didn't waste an entire day trying to get it just right. It took some time but in the end I had a result I feel like I can be proud of. It's nice that no one has any real feedback regarding something I could do better (on the blog).

In-depth
    Yes. I think you have succeeded in creating a compelling narrative surrounding her addiction, and though I can't truly speak from experience since I fortunately haven't struggled with substance addiction, I fully understood how she got to that point and why it was difficult to get out of that rut. I like that you took the time to allow us as readers to understand that there wasn't particularly a huge reason as to why she was addicted, because I think that's something that's easily forgotten when people get addicted to something. Her reasoning, being bored and unsatisfied with her life up until that point, was very valid and imo very believable. Her quitting and the subsequent withdrawal were also very well done. I have witnessed this period of withdrawal with a couple close friends and I think you've done a good job at representing the difficulty and almost desperation that comes with this period.

I'm glad you didn't say anything about her withdrawal period coming across as easy and too quick. I do get how it might feel that way to some people now, but we haven't reached the end of it yet. Not by a long shot. Withdrawal and recovery can be a lifelong process and I don't want to disregard that or do it injustice in any way, shape or form. Sofia is not out of the woods. She will still struggle with wanting to reach for a bubble blower and it not being there when she feels like she needs it most. Right now, she had the hard withdrawal and she's riding this wave of euphoria but soon enough she'll start to see how hard it actually is.
    OK, I may be biased, but honestly my favorite relationship is the one between Hugo and Nelson. I feel like they happened naturally, just two friends that slowly became attracted to each other. It often happens that way! I like that they bring out the best in each other, and I particularly LOVE that Hugo was wise enough to not give into his attraction until his relationship with Sofia had ended. In this way, I feel like their relationship coincides with the upswing in Hugo's life, with him cultivating better habits, and improving himself overall. I like this, it's a very healthy way to begin a relationship and I loved seeing them come together after 25+ chapters of me waiting to see where that initial hint of attraction was going. (Because I loved that you set the possibility of them happening RIGHT from the bat. It was the ultimate tease!)

And, well. This might be surprising but I also really, really like Sofia and Luna's relationship. Not necessarily because I think that they should be beginning something while Luna hasn't even talked to Hugo and while Sofia is going through a difficult period where it's easy to get attached to something else, but because I think this is very, very realistic. Too many times in my life, when I've gone through something difficult, I seem to look at romance as a sort of way to escape the hardships I face, and then the relationship just becomes a replacement instead of me facing the difficulties head on. I really like Luna and Sofia's relationship because it's the one I most identify with (and that sounds kind of sad! But really, it's very well written.)

Thank you for sharing. You made me realise I can also identify somewhat with Sofia and her rushing to starting something with Luna. There might be more of myself in this story than I thought at first. I don't think there were very many times in my life where I wasn't reaching out or trying to reach out to someone romantically, especially when I suffered from depression. I was in a horrible place, not loving myself, but it felt so easy to find someone who could love me in times that I couldn't. Those relationships never ended well because, well, I didn't love me. And I don't want to say, how could they love me if I didn't? But it feels so true. If I don't take care of myself, I'm not sending the right message to someone else which meant I wasn't being treated very well by my romantic partner at the time. Luckily, Sofia doesn't have to deal with this since Luna is the biggest sweetheart, although reserved because of her daughter, but Sofia does have to watch out that she doesn't shatter Luna's heart because of selfishness. When things get rough or maybe even better, will Sofia still be with Luna? And give Luna the attention and affection she deserves? Only time can tell on this one, but I'm rooting for them.
    Oh, yikes. This is a difficult question. But I think in the end I'm pretty confident with my answer: my least favorite relationship is the one Max has with literally anyone else. I can anticipate that there's more to him than what we've seen so far, but honestly every single one of his relationships is toxic (except maybe his relationship to CHESS, haha). I hope that at one point he will realize that he has no one to blame his loneliness on but himself. I'm excited to see what's going to become of him.

And if he doesn't realise, at least he still has his dearly beloved chess table. Well... the one in the park. Max doesn't even have a house. 😂
    I'll be honest: I've never played with the Villareal family in my own Sims game! I was vaguely familiar with some of their names, but I had never taken the time to get to know them. I think you've done a wonderful job of taking a premade family and really fleshing them out and making them come to life.

I can imagine! You can't possibly have played every premade family. Some are bound to be more interesting to you than others. I never took the time to go through every single bio and see what all the families were about but I'm so glad I googled for the richest family in the game. Their bio hooked me. A whole family living underneath the reign of the famous crime lord Jacques Villareal and no mom anywhere in sight. In my head I immediately saw it as a family trying to raise themselves. Jacques was erratic, so he was always talking to himself and wasn't paying much attention to his kids. I think mostly Max was influenced by this development in his life. He was a lot younger when Hugo and Luna died so he barely knew his mom. He'd never known a mother figure so there wasn't a whole lot of love and affection for him. It made him bitter and angry, sadly.
    An immature man-child who has a lot of growing up to do. I feel like he was deeply affected by his father passing away and he just became emotionally stunted and, frankly, a toxic presence in his family because of his grief. I hope he does some soul-searching and grows up a little, because I could see him developing into someone who might be tolerable. I don't believe that he's all bad.

Since you haven't played the Villareal family, you might not have known about the mom passing away. It was in their preexisting story. Max actually had a horrible relationship with his father and would be standing around, laughing at his urn, for a long time after he passed away. He was already a rotten kid when his dad died. The damage had already been done.
    I think that, because I somehow identify with her struggles (but not with the way she dealt with them), my favorite character is Sofia. She's very relatable, and I like that we've witnessed a lot of development in her. It was not easy to deal with the fallout from her deciding to quit her bubbles, and I think she's brave to try to get over it. I'm very curious to see where she goes from here and what her story with Luna is going to look like.

Some honorable mentions: I like Nelson a lot. He's a good guy, and his personality is lovely. Lucy is also a good character, and very commendable; I like how it's implied that she was a gold-digger but also stepped up when the time came and has been a good mother to her children.

Ah, someone who doesn't say Hugo is their favourite character. It's good Sofia is getting some love in that department. She's just a woman trying to cope with the hand that's been dealt to her. She made a mess out of it, but she is trying to fix it.

We're going to see some more of Nelson and a slightly less fun side of him soon. Need to flesh him out some more. He can't be all amazing and lovely. 😉

Lucy has been on the backburner ever since her story was mostly wrapped up (which was before the story on the forum even started). She was 18 when she seduced Jacques and ended up getting pregnant by him. I don't think I've mentioned this before, but she got purposefully pregnant by Jacques and then forced him to leave his then husband to be with her. She manipulated him into it. It was a bitter pill when she married him and then continued to win the lottery. She didn't love the guy and she could have bought her own mansion, but now she had a kid and she also didn't want to take care of Jacqueline on her own. So she stayed. She ended up having to take care of five kids (Juliana wasn't there yet) after Jacques passed away when Neal was a newborn. I don't think she expected to love her kids as much as she does but Jacques dying forced her to spend more time with them. She got to know them pretty well, I would say, and she made it her mission to do right by them. By the way, she also picked up a job as a style influencer. Before, she didn't want to work at all so Jacques had to be married fast. Her job isn't much of a job either, not to her, at least. She writes style guides but she has fun while doing it. Lucy never saw it coming that she'd enjoy something other people would describe as 'work'. She's a changed woman. Finding and falling in love with Paolo also helped.
    OK, here's a left-field answer: Neal. He's just annoying and since you haven't quite focused on him yet, I'm not a big fan. He has his OK moments, but it's telling that his most relevant scene so far has been the one where he's beat up by his sister for attempting to steal from her! I'm sure he's an all right guy, but so far he's just... there.

Completely get that. I hope I can change your mind and make him interesting when his time to shine comes up. You might not like him, but I hope he'll be fascinating to read about.
    Honestly, I'd like to see a little bit more of Jacqueline. I find her story very compelling, even though it hasn't been the most important one in the story. I like rooting for her and I want to see her develop into a confident young woman.

Noted. Next week there will be a bigger Jacqueline-focused update.
    I mean, it's a little difficult to choose! I really like Hugo's storyline because I'm thrilled to see him rise above his unhappiness and turn his life around by improving his habits and going for Nelson, someone who could truly make him happy after all the negativity surrounding his relationship with Sofia. However, I think the most interesting storyline so far is Sofia's. I just identify with her so much, so her storyline has been the one I've been looking forward the most. I think there's going to be a lot of difficulty in her life while she still tries to move on from the period of addiction in her life, but it's exciting to see her try.

The two storylines we've been seeing a lot of are your favourites, that's good. There's more Sofia/Luna and Hugo/Nelson coming up soon.
    Well. Max is probably going to try his absolute hardest to get his group back, and maybe he's going to succeed and have a little crime syndicate. I think we're going to learn more about him, for sure, and he's going to have a redemption arc. Maybe he'll meet someone who changes his point of view a little? I hope! His character has a lot of potential.
    Sofia is probably going to realize that fixating on Luna is not a very good idea given how recent her quitting the bubbles is. Recovery is a difficult path and transferring all your attention to a diversion, no matter how enticing, romantic, and sweet it is, is not going to end well. I predict a lot of heartbreak between her and Luna, but I also anticipate a happy ending.
    Hugo and Nelson, well, I think they're going to try to navigate their relationship to each other as best as they can, but I think that one cliffhanger is hinting at some drama coming in the future. I think there's going to be something (or someone) new coming in and creating tension between them (not necessarily something romantic, just something difficult).
    My predictions are kind of just me stating the obvious :tongue: but that's where I think the story is headed for now!

Nice predictions! You're actually not that far off.
    Sofia: I know it seems like the best thing in the world to transfer your focus onto an enticing romantic prospect, but trust me. You're heading for a lot of heartbreak if you don't truly take the time to heal and become the best version of yourself. You're already a special person, you don't need someone else to complete you while you recover. If you truly feel something for Luna and she feels the same way, I'm sure she will understand and will be waiting for you if you decide to really take the time to move on from this difficult period in your life. Work on yourself, girl! Building a relationship on shaky ground doesn't bode well for the romantic construction.

Great advice. I hope Sofia takes it to heart.
    I don't think I have anything to ask at the moment. Well, maybe: will you be focusing more on the other children (Neal, Juliana, Jacqueline)? Not that we need it, but it would be interesting to learn more about them. I can understand your focus on Hugo, Luna, and Max, though!

Other than that, let me just say that I'm loving your story so far! It's very well-written, interesting, and I'm really enjoying rooting for the characters. :blush:

I have a whole storyline planned for Neal so he'll become a bigger character in the future. Jacqueline does have her own storyline, but she's a little bit on the backburner which I'm trying to balance out better. Then there's still Juliana. She's not really a Villareal because she's Lucy's and Paolo's child. She may become a bigger character but I have to get to know her better for that. Right now, I'm having a hard time figuring her out and what would become of her. You'll still see her though. She's the youngest of them all, so we have some time.

I'm also trying to see if I can wrap up some of the main storylines before I'd move on to even more. I think it would become confusing if I kept adding more characters with more drama. At the moment, I still have major plans for Max so he won't be out of the picture anytime soon. I'm not sure about Hugo and Luna. Hugo might be becoming less important soon. Luna is a little different because she still has Allyson which makes for an interesting dynamic to play. I think Allyson will become a bigger part when she ages up to teen. So for now, Hugo is probably going to fulfill a minor role with other characters picking up the slack.
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    @Duvelina Congratulations on your graduation and good luck in your Masters! How many years does a Masters in Law take? What are you specialising in if you don’t mind sharing?

@Skeilah Your country’s tertiary system is intriguing. I wonder why they place the restrictions for academic bachelors? I’m assuming the additional step of getting a diploma would mean another year of studying too. That’s quite a lot of years. That’s actually what I did.

@AdamsEve1231 Congratulations on being the first in your family for an advanced degree! They must be super proud of you. I can imagine you being admired and referenced by your cute nieces and nephews as you become an example of achievement. (At least that was what happened in mine, not me though) Don’t let the pressure get to you. You’re awesome! And oooft your sharing sounds like my story. A bachelors straight out of high school, working for 6 years, then going back for my masters. I did have to do a GradDiploma midway to bridge into my Masters since I was starting a new career path too, though I never left my work and just study/worked at the same time.

@ajamkeevin Good luck on finding your path. People change as they grow older, so don’t worry too much that want different things than when you were younger (Geez I sound old, but its true.) It’s great that you recognise your need for something different. Most people get stuck in a job they’re unhappy about, but you’re exploring your options :smile: In the meantime, your job sounds incredibly interesting. What languages do you translate? Are you split between three countries due to family living overseas? Or is it because you are keen to work abroad?
    edited July 2020
    @mercuryfoam I don't mind sharing at all! Most masters take one year. So it's barely any time at all. There are five courses in one semester plus a thesis that takes the entire year. It will be one busy year, but at least only one (if everything goes all right). My focus will be going to criminal law with a couple of other courses in there. I can name the courses I'm planning on taking since I already figured out which ones I wanted: Criminal Sanctions, Psychiatry for Lawyers, Juvenile Justice, Educational Law (this is just a backup option in case one course is full), Person and Family Law, European Criminal Law, In-Depth Private Law, In-Depth Criminal Law and In-Depth Constitutional and Administrative Law.

I like that we can talk about this different stuff too.
    Thanks everyone for your kind words.

@AdamsEve1231 Congratulations on being the first in your family for an advanced degree! They must be super proud of you. I can imagine you being admired and referenced by your cute nieces and nephews as you become an example of achievement. (At least that was what happened in mine, not me though) Don’t let the pressure get to you. You’re awesome! And oooft your sharing sounds like my story. A bachelors straight out of high school, working for 6 years, then going back for my masters. I did have to do a GradDiploma midway to bridge into my Masters since I was starting a new career path too, though I never left my work and just study/worked at the same time.

@mercuryfoam Aww...Thank you! Well, my niece wasn't even born when I started grad school. Haha. She's only a few years old now. And my nephew is even younger. I thought about a masters certificate before graduate school and a full masters degree, but it worked out to start sooner. Is a GradDiploma the same thing as a masters certificate? Certification happens in an intense 12 weeks, I believe. 16 at most. It's useful if you can't afford and/or take the time to do a full master's degree, or if you want to specialize in a certain area on top of a master's degree.
    Duvelina wrote: »
    @mercuryfoam I don't mind sharing at all! Most masters take one year. So it's barely any time at all. There are five courses in one semester plus a thesis that takes the entire year. It will be one busy year, but at least only one (if everything goes all right). My focus will be going to criminal law with a couple of other courses in there. I can name the courses I'm planning on taking since I already figured out which ones I wanted: Criminal Sanctions, Psychiatry for Lawyers, Juvenile Justice, Educational Law (this is just a backup option in case one course is full), Person and Family Law, European Criminal Law, In-Depth Private Law, In-Depth Criminal Law and In-Depth Constitutional and Administrative Law.

That sounds intense, @Duvelina. My masters took 2 years (I took 8 weeks off in the 2nd year). It's fun to talk about these kinds of things and get to know each other some too.
    ajamkeevin wrote: »
    @Skeilah ah, that's so interesting that you have to do a Super Bachelor's to get into a Master's degree! It's very different from the system I was in (though I guess it's similar to some degree choices in the US). Also, the late months of the year are awesome to have birthdays in! Mine is December 18th, and my mom and brother both have birthdays in November (13 and 20) :blush:
    @AdamsEve1231 it's amazing that you're the first woman in your family to have a degree. That's very commendable, congratulations! The fact that you spent a while working before going back to do your Master's is also inspiring to me, because I'm in that "in-between" period where I know I want to continue my studies but am entirely unsure of what to do. To know that you went back and successfully completed an advanced degree gives me some solace that perhaps I will be able to do so, as well.

I completed a degree in the United States four years ago and have been working on and off as a translator ever since. It's been very difficult for me to truly decide what's next for me, academically, because I know I want to be a student for a while longer, but I've been split between three countries and I've had multiple health issues preventing me from taking the leap into a Graduate program. Hopefully I'll be able to find something good and the stars will align for me!

@ajamkeevin My birthday is in December too! December 9th. My niece is the 29th! :) Hooray for December babies!

I didn't really know what I wanted post-college. I got married and we moved a few times so it was hard to settle into a job, let alone a career. I had always liked the idea of helping people but I actually failed intro to human services in college because I didn't realize there was a practicum component. EEK! Only class I ever failed. Anyhoo, decided to stick to my strengths - communications - so my bachelor's is in public relations and marketing.

When we moved to where we live now, I had a hard time finding work and settled into a job that was just that... a job, for pay, not much else, and it didn't pay much either. I had some health issues too. (I hope you're able to work that out and be at full health). :)

I had a few gaps and was out of work for a bit so I did a lot of volunteering. I started volunteering when I was 13 and never really stopped, save that first year I was in my new home state. That's when I realized I wanted to do nonprofit work. My masters is in nonprofit management and leadership.

I now manage my volunteer program and manage marketing/communications needs for the NPO. I also work directly with the development director to assist with donor communications and needs. It's a dream job! Save a slightly higher paycheck, but it's nonprofit work and I knew that going in... so... :sweat_smile: I get to utilize all my degrees (and how many people can say that?), my skill set, and my passions. I really believe in the mission. I have direct contact with our executive level leadership and a good bit of autonomy with projects and flexibility with my schedule. The work is really rewarding knowing we're making a big difference in our community. I have a great team and like most of my colleagues. We even socialize sometimes too, which is nice. And I love developing young volunteers (like I was) and helping them with professional skills.

Returning to graduate school was the best decision I could've possibly made. I found I was more motivated when I went back as an older student, and that everyone else is too. College is kind-of necessary to get a job around here... like most places want to see a college degree but don't care what it is in. But as a grad student, you make a choice to continue. No one's making you and I think that's why everyone took grad school more seriously.

It's well worth the plunge if you can make it work. And it's never too late. My mom got started two associate's degrees while I was in high school and finished after I finished college and she was in her 50's by then.

I wish you well on your endeavors! What kinds of things are you interested in, if you don't mind my asking? What kind of degree would you go back for? I'm curious like @mercuryfoam said about what countries you're interested to work in and why.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I love how you all call the BaNaBa a super-bachelor :p
    Is it to prevent too many people from entering the workforce late? Like otherwise people would be in college a really long time? Or is it just a merits thing?

I have no idea actually. I think it's just a merits thing.

ajamkeevin wrote: »

Yay for late birthdays! Now I actually want to make a Bunny Freezer birthday calendar. xD You'll find something good for sure. Like, it took me 4 years and I'm still going but I'm getting where I want to be, so if I can, I believe that everyone eventually can. You just need that little push in the back somewhere.

---

By the way, I also wanted to let you all know that I got my school results :) I succeeded every field this year so I'll be able to go to my third and last year in September! <3
    @skeilah Congratulations! Super exciting. ☺What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking? I don't think you've mentioned it yet.
    edited July 2020
    Alright, the questions... @Duvelina

What do you think of my storytelling?
    It's simple, but sweet. I feel like we get a glimpse of each character's life (plus I like your additional images and notes and extra scenes you add).

What do you think of the overall story so far?
    I really want to root for this family. I feel invested. Your writing has a way of drawing me in and making me care about the characters and want to see them do well. I don't think there's anyone I particularly dislike (even if Max is a bit evil).

What do you think of my ability to portray relationships specifically? Do they feel authentic?
    Absolutely. Some of the lines in particular really tug at the heart strings. The Villareals (and by extension, Bjergsen family) struggle with real problems, problems any family might encounter and need to work through, and that makes it feel authentic. Hugo and Sofia's relationship seems particularly real as they are just going through the motions in a way, with no high dramatic moments, but still fraught with realistic tension and lack of communication.

What do you think of my new blog? Any feedback?
    I'm able to navigate your website easily. I like the new look. It's clean and crisp, easy to follow. Minor note... the pictures on the character page and text with titles are off-center. It may have been a design choice on your part, but it's a little jarring the jumping to the right of the screen and then to the left, especially when reading on a smaller screen (like I so often do on my phone).

In-depth (spoilers)
    Do you think I portrayed Sofia’s addiction storyline well?
    Yes, she feels like a real addict. Spaced out, disconnected from the world, fell into it in a lackadaisical way, and is incredibly self-centered without realizing its impact on those who love and care about her.

I also relate to Hugo - wanting to be their for his girlfriend and support her, recognizing she needs help, but having no clue where to start or how things grew to be so bad. I can understand how scary it is to change status quo and move on from someone like Sofia, even if he no longer have feelings, or never had feelings for her. It can be hard to leave someone like that behind. The dependency is almost a bit addicting too. Hugo strikes me as someone who gives his all in a relationship, and he wants to take care of her. I wonder if losing his mom at an early age and/or his father's remarriage impacted that as well - his need to care for and protect others even at the expense of his own happiness.

I also think she is jumping from one relationship to the next to numb the pain she might be feeling. Like fixating on Luna keeps her from focusing on her real issues - her addiction. And I feel like she probably cared deeply about Hugo at one point, enough to ask him to move in. Perhaps instead of grieving the loss of a relationship, even if she's fallen out of love or never really loved Hugo in a romantic sort of way, she's jumping to Luna as a band-aid.

What is your favourite portrayed relationship, romantic or otherwise, in the story so far and why?
    Luna and her daughter, Allyson's seems the healthiest relationship right now. Even if Allyson is a difficult child at times. Also Paolo and Lucy had the sweetest wedding at the beginning. I hope to see more of them and that post-wedding life is treating them well (despite Max putting a damper on things).

What is your least favourite portrayed relationship, romantic or otherwise, in the story so far and why?
    I want Luna to find happiness. I really do. But I don't think it's with Sofia. That's dangerous territory given Sofia's addiction and her behavior. She seems to either be in a funk and apathetic toward everything and everyone, hurting people as she disconnects, or she's flitting right into another relationship at the expense of really working on herself and without thinking clearly about the impact to Luna and Luna's daughter.

What do you think of my portrayal of the Villareal family?
    I've read a few other stories with the Villareals. I also had my own lore around them (without ever publishing it... yet). It's an interesting take on the family. I do think there's a good bit of subtle drama happening, but in a way that doesn't feel over-the-top or forced, and feels genuine. Reading the chapters is like ambling through their everyday lives. No crazy explosive fights or catching spouse with other people kind of drama (at least not yet), but a family that genuinely struggles with a wide variety of issues that a lot of families face.

How would you interpret and describe Max as a character?
    Max is a self-centered individual. He only seems to care about what's his and making things his, without giving thought to other people's input, thoughts, or feelings. He also seems like a bit of a mooch, up until he moves out. He doesn't seem to work very hard at his job, but I could be wrong. However, I do think he's intelligent or at least clever as he schemes to gain back his "club"/gang.

Who is your favourite character so far and why?
    <3<3<3 Hugo! <3<3<3 What's not to love? He seems the sweetest most genuine person in the story. I do like Luna as well, and probably Lucy next.

Who is your least favourite character and why?
    Sofia. But not because you haven't written her well. Because of her selfish, self-destructive behavior and choices.

Who would you want to see more of?
    I think I already made this clear - Lucy and by default, Paolo. I'd like to see more of Luna. It would be nice to see more of Jacqueline also. All three ladies are really pretty Sims, and seem like good people. Obviously, I'd also like to see more of Hugo. <3:blush: And Nelson is pretty cute!

What is your favourite storyline and why?
    I'm really invested in Hugo and Sofia, but now that they are splitsville, I'd still like to follow their characters. Their stories seem to be what ties together the Villareal family and the story overall.

What are your predictions for any of the ongoing (or future) storylines?
    Okay, predictions... fun times!
    Sofia attempts a relationship with Luna and Luna indulges her, only to be hurt in the end when Sofia returns to her addiction or changes her mind for some reason. Maybe she really realizes she needs help and checks into rehab and breaks things off with Sofia. Or crazy thought? She wants Hugo back but he's already with Nelson. :open_mouth: Sofia needs an intervention from her family, probably her mom and sister.

Hugo and Nelson go on a few more awkward dates and realize they are meant to be! <3 Hashtag #TeamHuson or #TeamNelgo! :lol:

There will be a growing rift between Hugo and Luna if 1) Luna doesn't talk to him about what's going on and 2) her relationship with Sofia continues. I think that would be really sad, but realistic. I hope the twins can make up.

I'd love to see Jacqueline grow to love and embrace her body. She's a beautiful Sim! And triumph over the bullies by refusing to listen to the naysayers and becoming a strong and confident woman.

I'd love to see Lucy and Paolo stay happily married. Someone needs to in this family. If they expect a little nooboo of their own, that would be cute. Or I could see incredibly juicy drama with that situation. Lucy didn't want more kids but is suddenly expecting. Paolo is thrilled. It could cause some awkwardness. Or Lucy wants another child, a child of their own together, but Paolo doesn't. Hmm... okay, no I still like my happily married idea best.

Max's plans backfire on him. Maybe he spirals and realizes he needs some help or counseling too. I doubt it though. It would be really wild if Christin left her husband, Brody, and she and Max became an evil power couple! Mwahaha! Or Veronica, Brodie's sister.

If you could give a piece of advice to one character, who would you choose and what would you say?
    To Jacqueline, on a subject near and dear to my heart, girl, love yourself! Love all of yourself. Even the parts you think are ugly. You live in a world where beauty is defined so superficially and the world's standard of beauty is so fickle. What's in today is out the next. Be true to yourself. Take care of yourself. Be strong and confident in who you are. You'll radiate even more beautifully.

Do you have anything of your own to ask or add?
    You mentioned in a comment somewhere that you might do a little more backstory on the Villareal kids. I'd love to read it. I think it would help fill in the blanks. You write the story in a way that feels like we're already in the middle of it. We jump right into the action and things are revealed slowly over time. But I do find myself wondering about motivations and their earlier years so if you're willing to share, I'd love to read it!

Okay, some questions for you. Sorry if others have already asked similar questions. I try and write my answers before reading what other people said so it's my thoughts and not too influenced by what others write.
    How did you pick the Villareals as a family for your story?
    Did you play the family a bit before writing or did you develop backstory in notes and then just jump right in?
    How much of gameplay influences your storytelling? (I know, at least, parts of it does, but I'm curious).
    Who's your favorite character and why?
    Who do you struggle to write the most?
    Do you have an overarching plot you're trying to achieve or are you just writing as you go? Will you play future generations/write their stories? Like Allyson as an adult and her kids if she has them? Or Jacqueline and Neal? Or do you plan to end with this generation?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited July 2020
    Congratulations, @Skeilah! And good luck with finishing.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Oh gods, playing catch-up is hard. XD

@Skeilah Congratulations!!!!!! *throws confetti* I hope you have a great and memorable last year =)
    We totally should! Mine’s March 28 and Duvelina’s is March 27. Ajam’s is December 18, and AdamEve’s is… December 9th? Do I have that right?

@Duvelina My gods. That sounds incredibly difficult, especially if all of that is only in one year. 0.o Do you start in September, or are you already attending classes?
    And yup, talking about these things is a lot of fun, too =D

@AdamsEve1231 That’s sounds incredible. I have massive respect for people that are able to make a career out of volunteer work. You sound like you’ve gone through some great experiences and came out an amazing person. College is pretty much expected here too, to the point where even the “hands-on” jobs are asking for degrees. It’s a bit of a problem, because if everyone is forced get a degree, then the degree no longer means anything.

@ajamkeevin , Hey, translate buddies! I don’t know if you’ve answered this yet because I’m playing catch-up on the thread, but what languages do you focus on? Mine are Dutch, English and Japanese ^^ I used to be able to do German too, but you know how it goes when you never use something. My vocabulary is now limited to “fahrrad”.

I guess I should chip in, too. ^^ I’ve finished college with a bachelor, but never thought about doing a master. Didn’t have the time – I was recruited by a Japanese company that pulled me overseas for two years, for training. It was intense in many ways. :D The idea is to sit between their HQ and our branch office and try my hardest to make everyone play nice. It's easy some days. Other days, I end up wanting to chuck people through windows. :sweat_smile:
    I'm back in The Netherlands now, and just finished furnishing an apartment before the whole Covid-mess started. There's two beautiful cats keeping me company, though, so life is good. :blush:
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    @AdamsEve1231 Thank you for answering so elaborately and asking your own questions. I'll make myself comfortable and get into it tomorrow. Right now it's 10 P.M. so I need to be in a better headspace.

@_sims_Yimi I currently have two months of vacation. I start in September. I was looking for an internship for the summer but covid-19 made everything a lot harder so I don't think that's happening.
    Duvelina wrote: »
    @skeilah Congratulations! Super exciting. ☺What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking? I don't think you've mentioned it yet.

I study Human Resources :)

Oh yeah, before I forget: I'll answer the other questions tomorrow since I'll have lots of time now :D