Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Power Consumption Rating

Do you want your number to be higher or lower? I'm assuming lower, but I'm not sure. I'm probably missing something :/

Comments

• alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    The higher the number the higher it consumes and uses power.
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    Lighting tends to have a power consumption rating of 10 so I guess higher means more efficient.
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    So... yeah, I don't know (you two had different answers). It's the wording I guess. Power consumption rating as opposed to just power consumption. I guess the gurus didn't say one way or the other.
    Felicity wrote: »
    So... yeah, I don't know (you two had different answers). It's the wording I guess. Power consumption rating as opposed to just power consumption. I guess the gurus didn't say one way or the other.

You make a good point. Now I am questioning which one is right. Haha
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    The larger the number is, the more power it requires, thus the higher will your power bill be. If you have energy production going on in a off-the-grid lot, this number shows how many units of power it will require.
    So, if you want to have lower bills, have your sim use the electronics less and have your lights set on auto-lights (so they'll turn off when noone is in the room or everyone is sleeping).
    All right, I finally tested it -- the higher the power consumption rating, the lower the power consumption. I tested this with two refrigerators -- the smallest one, and a midsize one, and the difference is significant.
    edited June 2020
    All right, I finally tested it -- the higher the power consumption rating, the lower the power consumption. I tested this with two refrigerators -- the smallest one, and a midsize one, and the difference is significant.

That is confusing to me. I'd think the lower the consumption then the literal lower power that it would consume. Oh well. Thanks for figuring it all out! ha
    alan650111 wrote: »

That is confusing to me. I'd think the lower the consumption then the literal lower power that it would consume. Oh well. Thanks for figuring it all out! ha

I know, that was my initial thought. But ratings are different from consumption -- that it's rated higher means it's more efficient. It needs to be more clear I think, because it is confusing.
  • CimmyNyxCimmyNyx Posts: 44 Member
    Don't confuse efficiency rating with consumption rating. A high efficiency rating you would want to be high. However, with a consumption rating, the higher the number, the more energy it consumes. You get high consumption to run it with higher quality output. The lower the consumption rate, the cheaper it is to run it but you sacrifice quality. For cheap bills, you want a low consumption rate. Go check out the televisions.
  • SapphireKaiSapphireKai Posts: 33 Member
    > @CimmyNyx said:
    > Don't confuse efficiency rating with consumption rating. A high efficiency rating you would want to be high. However, with a consumption rating, the higher the number, the more energy it consumes. You get high consumption to run it with higher quality output. The lower the consumption rate, the cheaper it is to run it but you sacrifice quality. For cheap bills, you want a low consumption rate. Go check out the televisions.

Are there any items that say "efficiency rating"? I haven't seen that yet; granted, I haven't really paid much attention to this until all of a sudden my bills were almost tripled, but I hadn't changed anything in the house.
    There wasn't any extra energy usage than normal, I actually hadn't had any house parties since the previous bill.

I'm beginning to really regret buying Sims 4.

The Celestial Sapphire Lotus.
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    I also find it confusing. A lot of the explanations in Eco Lifestyle aren't very clear.