Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
Hey guys,

so I was thinking about getting Outdoor Retreat 'cause I have no destination worlds in my game so far and thought it may be worth it. It seems kind of fun but I'm not sure how it holds up 5 years later, especially compared to other packs.

Do you guys still use it or enjoy it?

EDIT: I also want to add I do enjoy vacations in the Sims (have played them a lot in previous Sims games) and I like watching my sims chill out with friends. So if anyone else also likes this stuff and didn't enjoy the pack pls let me know
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Comments

• pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member
    tbh I rarely use it.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited June 2020
    When it comes to CAS, I really enjoy the hairstyles and the items for kids. There are a few other items for adults I would not want to miss either.
    The BB stuff looks like you can either place it outdoors or in a cabin in the woods. I love the tents, the coolers, the outdoor showers and beds for my rags to riches gameplay, so for me they're pretty essential.
    Whether I like Granite Falls is more difficult to answer. It is definitely visually appealing, but I am not into the Herbalism skill anymore so there can be a lack of things to do. Although if you have Spa Day, you can replace one lot with a spa. That's really the only reason my Sims take vacations there anymore - they do a Spa Retreat and focus on the Wellness skill for a couple of days.
    It is definitely worth it on sale unless none of what I wrote sounds like it could add to your game.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    edited June 2020
    The tent is absolutely the best object in that back, with it you can go camping anywhere in the worlds. I still sometimes enjoy going to Granite Falls. I have a midsummer fest type of holiday where one of the traditions is traveling. Sims get that completed just by going on a community lot, but sometimes I enjoy taking them to a cabin (like people traditionally do in Finland). I have remodeled all the cabins so that they're fun for me to visit. I have also organized school camps in my game and part of the camp is an overnight trip to Granite Falls. The big community lot there I have replaced with a barn that has karaoke and other activities and where sims may also stay overnight. I don't think Granite Falls is bad at all, it's what you make of it.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    When it comes to CAS, I really enjoy the hairstyles and the items for kids. There are a few other items for adults I would not want to miss either.
    The BB stuff looks like you can either place it outdoors or in a cabin in the woods. I love the tents, the coolers, the outdoor showers and beds for my rags to riches gameplay, so for me they're pretty essential.
    Whether I like Granite Falls is more difficult to answer. It is definitely visually appealing, but I am not into the Herbism skill anymore so there can be a lack of things to do. Although if you have Spa Day, you can replace one lot with a spa. That's really the only reason my Sims take vacations there anymore - they do a Spa Retreat and focus on the Wellness skill for a couple of days.
    It is definitely worth it on sale unless none of what I wrote sounds like it could add to your game.

Great gameplay ideas. @Netzspannung It is on 50% sale right now in Germany so I guess I'll grab it, eventhough I was saving money for an Eco Lifestyle Bundle this Friday.
    musteni wrote: »
    The tent is absolutely the best object in that back, with it you can go camping anywhere in the worlds. I still sometimes enjoy going to Granite Falls. I have a midsummer fest type of holiday where one of the traditions is traveling. Sims get that completed just by going on a community lot, but sometimes I enjoy taking them to a cabin (like people traditionally do in Finland). I have remodeled all the cabins so that they're fun for me to visit. I have also organized school camps in my game and part of the camp is an overnight trip to Granite Falls. The big community lot there I have replaced with a barn that has karaoke and other activities and where sims may also stay overnight. I don't think Granite Falls is bad at all, it's what you make of it.

Yeah one crucial reason why I want to buy this pack is to go camping in Sulani with my Sims in the summer 'cause there are no resorts and also have a winter vacation lot, cause snowy Granite Falls looks awesome.
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Oh my goodness, I love that pack! I turned the world into a nature retreat/spa destination that my sims visit for all sorts of occassions.

A cute litttle detail I love about the pack is the herbalism skill and how you can forage for Morel mushrooms-which is something my hubby and I do irl.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I use Outdoor Retreat all the time. CAS is great and you can put stuff in your sims inventory and go anywhere and camp. Even a shower. Most neighborhoods have public toilets or a lot that can be edited to place a toilet. Actually, The Forgotten Grotto already has a toilet.

I use the shoes and clothes all the time. I just took my Sims camping when I played last weekend. The outdoor enthusiast aspiration is tedious but very doable. ... And you get bears. Your Sims kids may go through a bear phase. Let them wear a bear suit or they get sad. It's cute!
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited June 2020
    To be honest I find it boring. If you are looking for a vacation world and don't already have JA I highly recommend that one, it's my second favourite GP after vampires. I don't regret getting OR because the tents are so useful to use in combination with JA but I don't remember the last time I sent my sims to Granite Falls. In contrast, I have played with JA a lot.
    edited June 2020
    To be honest I find it boring. If you are looking for a vacation world and don't already have JA I highly recommend that one, it's my second favourite GP after vampires. I don't regret getting OR because the tents are so useful to use in combination with JA but I don't remember the last time I sent my sims to Granite Falls. In contrast, I have played with JA a lot.

@MaggieMarley Thanks for the heads up, I thought of that aswell but I don't consider JA a real vacation world because of how much focus there is on going on an adventure, almost every lot is locked behind a question mark. I just want my sims to chill and hang out and you can certainly do that in JA but there is a different focus for sure. Also if I need a place with hot weather I usually prefer Sulani.
    I know this is an unpopular opinion but I really dislike Jungle Adventure maybe cause I loved World Adventures in the Sims 3 so much idk and since there is no place to go during the winter I prefer Outdoor Retreat more I guess.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    @SimmerGeorge that makes sense :) ah I loved TS3 world adventures so much! You're right, TS4 JA just isn't a patch on it, makes me sad :(
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    It's on half price atm so it's worth it now, probably wouldn't be worth the money at full price though. The CAS is actually decent, more shoes and pants than I've seen in any other pack and quite a few good hairs, it's always nice to have a new world as well and the tents are good for a lot of different gameplay
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    It's got a bit updated with the June Patch.....Outdoor Retreat
    Herbalism recipes can now work while Off-The-Grid, however only on Off-The-Grid supported stoves.

As it's not affected by the eco lifestyles ups and downs it might be nice to play it to get some relief from that sometimes and the new ladder and off the grid stuff will come in useful! :smile:
    Thank you guys for helping. I just got it and I'm getting a Bundle with Eco Lifestyle, Tiny Living and Spa Day since I got inspiration to build a spa in Granite Falls from this thread!
  • becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I really like that pack. I use it a lot.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    Thank you guys for helping. I just got it and I'm getting a Bundle with Eco Lifestyle, Tiny Living and Spa Day since I got inspiration to build a spa in Granite Falls from this thread!

Make sure, before you play it that you put your Sims in winter wear before they venture out in the Winter and the thermostat in homes (if you have Seasons) as they tend to die if conditions and wear not right!
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    It’s one of my favourite game packs. I love the world and sending my sims to log cabins for a holiday. As it was the first game pack the bb items are not that many but I love the aesthetic of them. I combine it with some of the gameplay items from seasons, backyard and since university have sims use their bikes. It’s a fab pack for outdoor/nature loving sims, it’s a nice place to take dogs on holiday too. For me it’s underrated and I don’t get the hate for this pack at all. The tent, cooler and fire pit with the log seats came in very handy for my only gameplay challenge of rags to riches. My only tip I would give is put a few none rental lots down like a bar/lounge/restaurant etc depending on what packs you have as the world is better with some community type lots rather than all rental lots.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited June 2020
    The CAS in the game is among what I use the most in my game. I've only used the camping gear once; but plan to start camping other places with my Sim (i.e the beaches in Sulani). The world is very nice, but I hate that you can't just visit it whenever, and have to book a camping spot or a cabin. Your Sim can't just go fishing or hiking for a couple of hours or whatever and then come back home the same day. Quite frankly, I don't get destination worlds at all.
    netney52 wrote: »
    It’s one of my favourite game packs. I love the world and sending my sims to log cabins for a holiday. As it was the first game pack the bb items are not that many but I love the aesthetic of them. I combine it with some of the gameplay items from seasons, backyard and since university have sims use their bikes. It’s a fab pack for outdoor/nature loving sims, it’s a nice place to take dogs on holiday too. For me it’s underrated and I don’t get the hate for this pack at all. The tent, cooler and fire pit with the log seats came in very handy for my only gameplay challenge of rags to riches. My only tip I would give is put a few none rental lots down like a bar/lounge/restaurant etc depending on what packs you have as the world is better with some community type lots rather than all rental lots.

Yeah I think people don't like it much because they don't realize how much you can do with it. Especially now, combined with snow, bikes, spas etc. you can turn it into a real vacation place.
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member

Oh nice. Here I had this list of reasons why you should definitely get this pack laid out lol but decided to scroll back up and here was this comment. You'll love it! Lots to do! There are some really cool cabin type restaurants on the gallery too, be sure to check them out.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited June 2020
    Agree, the spa is the most important thing in the woods lol. And the secluded DJ booth, bar, hot tub and dance floor I set up in the national park. I've sent most of my households camping at least once. Especially if they have kids. Weenie Roasts usually bring some sort of tragedy, so that's nice. I typically use these vacation periods for building some skills or relationships. And I like taking some family friends as well, just to have someone I can't control. I also have them spend Winter Fest in a large cabin with the extended family sometimes. And yeah, I use the camping gear in Sulani and Selvadorada a lot too. I like this pack, overall.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2020
    I like the objects the pack came with, but I never send them on vacation to the world anymore. It is boring.

Have you considered the Jungle Adventure pack for the vacation world?
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Outdoor Retreat is one of my favorite packs - I encourage you to get it.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Wow you guys have so many creative ideas! Can't wait to try it all out
  • ZoreloraZorelora Posts: 54 Member
    For me, I find it very boring. Nice world, peaceful environment but there is nothing new to do there( like actual bird watching, swimming in the lake) All I can do is just walking around, pick some insects and then go straight home.
  • Tony89Tony89 Posts: 2,196 Member
    ive used it twice since the release of the pack, you have to really get into it to enjoy it, it can seem boring, even my sims wanted to go back home after two days on vacay