Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Online The Sims 5 hypothetical poll

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited June 2020
    I will accept it as long as there is an option to play offline without online getting more attention and updates
    If someone from EA or Maxis ever reads this, making the sims 5 online not only sounds difficult but also very expensive. I think you would be much better off focusing on making a good framework which can handle the things that people are asking for like color wheel, create a style, mod support and an open world for example. Then you can please both your shareholders and the players by creating content for that.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I will play both versions and have no preference
    Hey as long as it works and it is fun and not a mess like SimCity why not let The Sims Series develop into something new?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I will accept it as long as there is an option to play offline without online getting more attention and updates
    This is the only option I would consider from the list provided. Personally I prefer my game on disk, then I have total control over when I play and when I choose to update my game. Having an online element makes me think the next step would be sharing my game with other simmers. That would be an absolute no no so there must always remain a way to play offline.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I will boycott out of out of principle
    I will have to boycott. I know how this ride will go with EA. I have watched them ruin other games I played with them for the sake of online gameplay. I am 99% positive the base game will be lacking because they will waste precious development time on the online aspect of the game. Then will come the special items you can only get from online game play and the sim version "loot boxes." Count me out.

They will HAVE to ban all this romance and woohooing business online or they will be in for a serious lawsuit when some kid gets harassed. They have already had an incident with one of the game changers, I cant imagine how online will be. I will keep an eye on the forums and write my I told you so when all hell breaks loose.
  • Options
    AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited June 2020
    The Sims 4 will be my last foray into the franchise (barring of course older iterations) if the sims 5 is online/multiplayer. The Sims has already been severely watered down/streamlined since the Sims 2/3, online only solidifies the fact.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @logion wrote: »
    If someone from EA or Maxis ever reads this, making the sims 5 online not only sounds difficult but also very expensive. I think you would be much better off focusing on making a good framework which can handle the things that people are asking for like color wheel, create a style, mod support and an open world for example. Then you can please both your shareholders and the players by creating content for that.

This! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Hey as long as it works and it is fun and not a mess like SimCity why not let The Sims Series develop into something new?

They tried it and it did not work...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

They tried it and it did not work...

@king_of_simcity7 yeah but it's been a long time if you mean SimCity. If they take a different approach then maybe it could work.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    WispyeWispye Posts: 141 Member
    i played TSO all the years that it ran and it was so much different then regular sims it was focused on skill houses and being number 1 house, that being so i did meet a lot of great people one that i'm best friends with still
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2020
    Those who say they will buy it if it has an offline single player side, must not know the servers have to make enough money to keep them open and no company wants to keep servers if no one is using them. To me that means of course the online side of a game would require more resources and funds to keep people engaged in wanting to play online. Or the company would be wasting money to keep a server up and running. So, it stands to reason there can't be a happy median between the two options. Simport was retired though people still own the pack to play Simport..it's the whole purpose of ShowTime. But the online feature of simporting is no longer possible. Right after TS3 ended.

So, TS5 if it has multiplay somehow will have to have more updates, patches, and content than the offline side of a game to keep the company interested in keeping the server open. So, it should be a big no from those who love single player The Sims. A company can't keep servers running if no one wants to use that side of a game...like Simport they would have to shut it down from lack of use. So, of course more money would be spent on content to use online only.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited June 2020
    I voted I'd accept it, because I don't really care as long as it had the same attention...

BUT my real answer isn't up there.

I don't reallly care, because I honestly can't imagine I'd ever buy Sims 5 since I love SIms 4 so much. I've played since Sims 1, every iteration, and so far Sims 4 is by FAR my favourite, I love it so much and it's pretty much "complete" to me in how a game should be. The new packs are fun bonuses, but I can get many more years, (maybe decades haha) of fun from Sims 4 so I can't imagine spending money to start over again with a new version when I already ahve somethign I love.

That being said, I'll be watching it, just in case it's somehow better than Sims 4 haha. If it came out with Sims 4 art style, Sims 4 personalities, the gallery, and everything almost the same but added in free babies, gradual aging so I could play every year of a sims life differently, and non-mutual relationships, I might be in haha! I'm not counting on it, but if it did, then this would be my answer for the poll and I just might want to purchase after all

Wow @SimAlexandria This was incredible to read -- how much you enjoy TS4! So glad that you are. Overall, I am too. Can I ask, how do you see the sims' personalities and relationships in TS4 vs. TS2? No debate from me on what's "better" or whatever, I'm seriously interested in your thoughts on this. I keep thinking we could use more depth in TS4, but I might be missing something here. I find when I focus on negatives (even if it's my own wishes of what I'd love to see in the game, whichever franchise), I miss a TON of positives.

And, to keep on topic, I too voted that I'd accept it so long as it had the same attention as the online component. BUT, I do not want to start with severe game limitations if they are required in order to introduce heavy online play. Then, I'll just be sticking with TS4 as I did with TS2/TS3 when TS4 first came out (I wasn't appreciative of the whole emotion-influencing environment thing).

Edited to add regarding online play: After seeing the TS4 mod that allows multiplayer simming, I probably could be into that if I had some friends and/or family who played the game. But, even though I would enjoy that sometimes, I still see the majority of my simming time spent solo and offline -- building, telling my own sims' stories, etc. Options are always good (and, again, so long as those options don't place hard limits on the game).
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    I voted I'd accept it, because I don't really care as long as it had the same attention...

BUT my real answer isn't up there.

I don't reallly care, because I honestly can't imagine I'd ever buy Sims 5 since I love SIms 4 so much. I've played since Sims 1, every iteration, and so far Sims 4 is by FAR my favourite, I love it so much and it's pretty much "complete" to me in how a game should be. The new packs are fun bonuses, but I can get many more years, (maybe decades haha) of fun from Sims 4 so I can't imagine spending money to start over again with a new version when I already ahve somethign I love.

That being said, I'll be watching it, just in case it's somehow better than Sims 4 haha. If it came out with Sims 4 art style, Sims 4 personalities, the gallery, and everything almost the same but added in free babies, gradual aging so I could play every year of a sims life differently, and non-mutual relationships, I might be in haha! I'm not counting on it, but if it did, then this would be my answer for the poll and I just might want to purchase after all

Wow @SimAlexandria This was incredible to read -- how much you enjoy TS4! So glad that you are. Overall, I am too. Can I ask, how do you see the sims' personalities and relationships in TS4 vs. TS2? No debate from me on what's "better" or whatever, I'm seriously interested in your thoughts on this. I keep thinking we could use more depth in TS4, but I might be missing something here. I find when I focus on negatives (even if it's my own wishes of what I'd love to see in the game, whichever franchise), I miss a TON of positives.

And, to keep on topic, I too voted that I'd accept it so long as it had the same attention as the online component. BUT, I do not want to start with severe game limitations if they are required in order to introduce heavy online play. Then, I'll just be sticking with TS4 as I did with TS2/TS3 when TS4 first came out (I wasn't appreciative of the whole emotion-influencing environment thing).

Edited to add regarding online play: After seeing the TS4 mod that allows multiplayer simming, I probably could be into that if I had some friends and/or family who played the game. But, even though I would enjoy that sometimes, I still see the majority of my simming time spent solo and offline -- building, telling my own sims' stories, etc. Options are always good.

Sure :)

Sims 2 Personalities are stronger, BUT as a story teller they are too strong for me. I play in away that I write my stories ahead and use my Sims to bring them to life. Sims 4 Sims do whatever I want them to so I can really create my own story. Sims 2 Sims fight against me. I want this Sim to fall in love with this one because that's my storyline, but they fight against it left right and centre because they aren't "Compatible" or whatever. It limits my play style and I can't be as creative.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if there were more interactions added for personality types with Sims 4 that you have say over (like you can ask lazy sims to "nap Lazily" but you don't have to click on that option type thing haha) and I would love to one day have proper Non-Mutual Relationships but overall, after playing both, Sims 4 just allows me to be more creative.

As for environment affecting emotions, I LIKE that because it's realistic, but it's also overdone. Needs to be toned down a bit. Yes, walking into a beautiful well lit home is going to boost someone's mood automatically vs. a cluttered dark bedroom... but if your child just died a nice painting on the wall also isn't going to make you forget and be happy again. So while I like the system a lot, a bit of an adjustment on say "max environment increase" or something could be needed.

The game isn't "perfect" for yeah for my play style it is best, and I find it more enjoyable. My play style in more detail than just "storytelling" is large families with lots of kids and toddlers. I've played the same family for 3.5 years on super slow aging, the childlren they had at the start are starting to become young adults (the oldest ones) and three moved out but they've adopted more since and have 9 kids right now all together (5 adopted). They lived in Newcrest but after the release of IL they've moved to Sulani and it's now my most played pack haha. Over 1000 hours into this family and their two neighbour families who they are best friends with now. I just really love the game and have a lot of fun with it!

• Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited June 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Those who say they will buy it if it has an offline single player side, must not know the servers have to make enough money to keep them open and no company wants to keep servers if no one is using them. To me that means of course the online side of a game would require more resources and funds to keep people engaged in wanting to play online. Or the company would be wasting money to keep a server up and running. So, it stands to reason there can't be a happy median between the two options. Simport was retired though people still own the pack to play Simport..it's the whole purpose of ShowTime. But the online feature of simporting is no longer possible. Right after TS3 ended.

So, TS5 if it has multiplay somehow will have to have more updates, patches, and content than the offline side of a game to keep the company interested in keeping the server open. So, it should be a big no from those who love single player The Sims. A company can't keep servers running if no one wants to use that side of a game...like Simport they would have to shut it down from lack of use. So, of course more money would be spent on content to use online only.

I’ve said this before and will again, “online”, “multiplayer”, and “MMO” are not synonymous.

There’s no need to maintain servers if all multiplayer is locally hosted by willing individual players, and doing so would mean centering a single player experience as the primary experience, and then allowing that single player experience to be optionally opened up to a few chosen friends to share in, not a mandatory MMO experience with random strangers.

ETA: and for those services that would need or benefit from servers, the servers would barely need to be more robust than what we have already for the gallery. There’s no reason a hypothetical well made life sim would need to bar multiplayer to maintain a good singleplayer experience.

And if you’re going to say, “well, yeah, but this is EA! They don’t make a well made life sim!” That’s hardly any potential feature’s fault, is it? Blaming the feature, and not the studio that fails to execute, is an argument against all features and the game as a whole.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i went the sims5 to remain offline completely
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    i went the sims5 to remain offline completely

Not even stuff like gallery?
  • Options
    the gallery i am ok with i am talking about online play @SimAlexandria sorry for the confusion
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

• Options
    the gallery i am ok with i am talking about online play @SimAlexandria sorry for the confusion

Ah got it. Thought maybe you didn't want the game connecting at all for whatever reasons you might have.

I kinda got the impression they are talking about gallery type features anyways when they say some sort of online element to it so I voted I would accept it as I think this is the type it would have. (That being said, I'm not sure I'd get it anyways, I like my Sims 4 game and don't want to start over... )
  • Options
    your not the only one @SimAlexandria me will wait and see still love the sims4 as well right now taking a break from sims4 feel i need the break

• Options
    your not the only one @SimAlexandria me will wait and see still love the sims4 as well right now taking a break from sims4 feel i need the break

I'm taking a break too but not because I need it haha. My workplace hasn't reopened yet from Covid lockdowns and it's usually at work that I get time to play. I'm excited because I have two new packs when I get on (Eco and Tiny Living) but when I'm at home it seems there's always something that needs doing and everytime I think "Done! Now I can play" I look at the clock at it's midnight and I have a kid who'll get up early hahaha! So I haven't played since Mid-March at this point, though I've LOADED the game a dozen times with intentions of sitting down to play haha! I keep saying "maybe tonight" haha, and again today I say "Maybe tonight" but at the rate I'm going I"ll have the knitting stuff pack too before I actually get around to it lol!

Until I can really sit down though, I'm just enjoying the new Animal Crossing instead since it seems easier to play in 10 minute sessions throughout the day. My Sims if I sit down I want an hour or two session at a time.
  • Options
    Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    I hope we can also play offline.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I think if we have things like the gallery only , and single player. I just...the sims is not a multiplier game. As much as I loved TSO, it just...doesn't suit it.