Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I play disk based Pirates and Nobels with the digital base game on Win 10

FunkyDexterFunkyDexter Posts: 21 Member
edited May 2020 in The Sims Medieval
I'm chasing a nostalgia fix during lockdown so I installed Sims Medieval. I discovered that the disk based version won't work in Win 10 but I was able to redeem my disk code against the digital download version. OK so far but I decided I'd like to try out the Pirates and Nobles expansion, which I never bought first time round. Here's where my problem starts.

It doesn't look like EA are selling the expansion pack alone but they are selling the "deluxe" version which includes it, or there's various disk based versions of the expansion out there I don't mind ordering.

So, if I order a disk of the expansion, is that going to work on Windows 10? And will it be compatible with the downloaded version of the base game. I don't want to order it if it won't work.

Failing that, I don't really mind buying the deluxe version from Origin but can't seem to get a payment to go through. My saved card details don't work even though they haven't changed and I got the same problem trying a different card for the first time. I'm assuming the problem is at the Origin end but I'm curious as to whether anyone else is getting similar problems.

Finally, I did come across a few sites offering free downloads of it. Two examples were Repacked Games and Ocean of Games. The sites actually look pretty legit but I'm skeptical of a free lunch. Are these aproved by EA or is it pirated software? I'm certainly not averse to getting free stuff but I'm generally anti-piracy so would rather steer clear if they're not legit.

Thanks for any feedback

Edit> OK, so this is a bit frickin' wierd. I just fired up the game again and Pirates and Nobles appears to be installed. I have no idea how or why. The only thing I can think of is something to do with trying to buy the deluxe version? Maybe that somehow unlocked it in my library even though it was saying the payment didn't go through. I feel vaguely like I've cheated somehow. Still... free stuff... I'll call that a win.

Comments

• StarDreamerStarDreamer Posts: 101 Member
    I'm having the exact same problem. I'm not sure if they are supporting it anymore. Is it a Windows 10 issue? Is the disc 100% not be able to be played in Windows 10? Just speculating, as it isn't a problem on our parts.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I don't think so, because a few years ago, I tried to install my old Sims Medieval Complete Pack Disk on my Windows 10 & it didn't work. After I finally gave up that pursue, in 2019, I found out that it was possible to get the online data version of Sims Medieval that works with Windows 10. I now have the updated version & it works just fine.