Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues (2020-22 version!)

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    Im having a issue with celebrities system in sims 3 (with nrass SP mod)

There is way too many celebrities in the game and its too easy to become one how can i fix this?
    The controls for the celebrity system are under SP > General Options > Options: Friendships > Options: Celebrity. A good approach might be to tighten up the five celebrity ratio caps, these are expressed as percentages of the town's resident population. By default they are 100/50/25/12/6. Depends on the world I am playing, but I usually use something more like 50/20/8/4/2. The point is that it's not difficult to reach Levels 1 and 2, but Levels 3 and higher are more rare and once the caps are reached then no one else can get that high until the existing high level celebs slide back down the scale, move out of town, or die. That may not match exactly what you had in mind, but it's all flexible.

MasterController can then be used, if wanted, to drop existing high level celebs back down the scale or to 0. NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Intermediate > Celebrity Level (can be run by way of City Hall to do the entire town or large subsets of it once; MC Cheats add-on module required)

If you require more assistance than that, we would be happy to help you at NRaas. This isn't really a tech issue concerning the game itself. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Fallen535Fallen535 Posts: 4 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > @Fallen535 - So TS3 has never successfully launched on this machine? I'm going to suggest a cross-post together with a full dxdiag report, that they are going to ask you for anyway, over on the TS3 board at AHQ. Not because I think your new PC is any less awesome than you say it is, but there might be a DirectX or device driver issue that those helping out over there are better equipped to assist with.
    >
    > https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

TS3 has never launched but other, more demanding, games have. I'll create a post there, but all my drivers are updated, the only things missing might be some stuff that are on older windowses and not on 10 ( I heard that the game works after updating win 7/8).
  • Options
    Leviosa1443Leviosa1443 Posts: 13 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > (Quote)
    > The controls for the celebrity system are under SP > General Options > Options: Friendships > Options: Celebrity. A good approach might be to tighten up the five celebrity ratio caps, these are expressed as percentages of the town's resident population. By default they are 100/50/25/12/6. Depends on the world I am playing, but I usually use something more like 50/20/8/4/2. The point is that it's not difficult to reach Levels 1 and 2, but Levels 3 and higher are more rare and once the caps are reached then no one else can get that high until the existing high level celebs slide back down the scale, move out of town, or die. That may not match exactly what you had in mind, but it's all flexible.
    >
    > MasterController can then be used, if wanted, to drop existing high level celebs back down the scale or to 0. NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Intermediate > Celebrity Level (can be run by way of City Hall to do the entire town or large subsets of it once; MC Cheats add-on module required)
    >
    > If you require more assistance than that, we would be happy to help you at NRaas. This isn't really a tech issue concerning the game itself. :)

Sorry i will ask it on nrass next time but since i already ask in here first might as well end it here

I also wanted to open here becuase celebrity sytem itself is broken despite being only lvl1 star i get crazy discounts and so much reconigtion (and all did for it was just going to the gym)

I dont really understand what do you mean with "percentages of the town's resident population" does that mean chance of sim becoming celeb or is it cap?

I already looked at documents for SP but i still don't get it if i did it right what i wanna do is these:

-Change whats giving celebrity points ( specifically i want to limit it to only few skill lvl ups such as musical and art)
    -Remove rewards for first 3 lvl (so sims don't get discounts and reconigtion for doing nothing)
    -Limit all lvls to 5 sims maximum and close rerolls / celebrity lose
    -Make it a lot harder to gain popularity
    -Remove all celebrities from town at once

Basically celeb system is way too generous and easy and i need to make it not so any help?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Leviosa1443 - Some of what you require can be done easily.

Limit all levels -- that's the approach I took with the ratio caps mentioned. Let's say you have 100 resident sims in your world (you can verify your town population with MasterController, on City Hall NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > "X" to dismiss the filter). If you cap the Level 5 ratio to 5 using SP, then you may only have 5 sims at that level unless your population increases. If your population decreases to 80 resident sims, then you may only have 4 at that level (5% of 80 is 4). Any sims at Level 4 due to level up will not be able to do so until a slot opens up for them at the higher level. So you could restrict any or all of your levels more so than I have with the numbers I gave above.

Note that by default the ratio cap for Level 1 is 100, which means there is no cap. So, again on default settings and as with the game unmodded, in theory 100% of your town population could be Level 1 or higher celebs (which doesn't make much sense to many of us).

Remove all celebs -- I assume you mean remove their celeb status, not the sims themselves. I described how to do that by way of MC.

I've also done away with the silly discounts and free stuff but that requires a standalone tuning mod or the use of NRaas Retuner.

Some of the other things you have mentioned would also require a separate mod as SP doesn't have the means to handle those. Here is what it can do: http://www.nraas.net/community/StoryProgression-Interactions#Options-Celebrity

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Leviosa1443Leviosa1443 Posts: 13 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > @Leviosa1443 - Some of what you require can be done easily.
    >
    > Limit all levels -- that's the approach I took with the ratio caps mentioned. Let's say you have 100 resident sims in your world (you can verify your town population with MasterController, on City Hall NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > "X" to dismiss the filter). If you cap the Level 5 ratio to 5 using SP, then you may only have 5 sims at that level unless your population increases. If your population decreases to 80 resident sims, then you may only have 4 at that level (5% of 80 is 4). Any sims at Level 4 due to level up will not be able to do so until a slot opens up for them at the higher level. So you could restrict any or all of your levels more so than I have with the numbers I gave above.
    >
    > Note that by default the ratio cap for Level 1 is 100, which means there is no cap. So, again on default settings and as with the game unmodded, in theory 100% of your town population could be Level 1 or higher celebs (which doesn't make much sense to many of us).
    >
    > Remove all celebs -- I assume you mean remove their celeb status, not the sims themselves. I described how to do that by way of MC.
    >
    > I've also done away with the silly discounts and free stuff but that requires a standalone tuning mod or the use of NRaas Retuner.
    >
    > Some of the other things you have mentioned would also require a separate mod as SP doesn't have the means to handle those. Here is what it can do: http://www.nraas.net/community/StoryProgression-Interactions#Options-Celebrity

Thank you
  • Options
    elleskyheartelleskyheart Posts: 69 Member
    edited September 2020
    Ah never mind. I figured out the problem for this part at least lol. I had multiple folders due to my could downloading the old one
  • Options
    moon00moon00 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have sims 3 for a long time now i have ccs and all and game was working just fine. A few weeks ago i downloaded 2 new ccs.they never installed when i tried to install them the little black screen popped up but never loaded. I thought there was a problem so i decided to not install them and decided playing. Game never loaded it was the black screen i waited so long for it to open but it didnt. I thought it was because of i had a lot of cc so i deleted some of them. I uninstalled and reinstalled, cleared DCBackup, repaired game but its still not working it just stays on that black screen and i cant do anything but restart my computer. The game used to load launcher in max 2 mins and took max 1 minute after hitting play button. I dont know what to do please help
  • Options
    @moon00 - Do you get better or at least different results if you pull out or rename your TS3 user game folder in Documents? A new no content one will spawn to take its place on the next startup, it won't have any of your added content or game saves, etc. in it, but those will all still be safe back in the pulled out folder -- this is called a Factory Reset (aka Clean Folder Test).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    This is becoming very tiring...I had gotten a new computer (lenovo 5) and have been downloading the sims since yesterday afternoon. To my amazement I was able to download the base game, and the packs and get the game running. Now however, I can't install content from the sims 3 store. It downloads to the launcher and seems to instal, but if I close the launcher and then open it back up and then go to installs nothing appears. Before when the worlds did say in the instal, they wouldn't show up in the game.

I hope someone can help me figure out this issue. I've never had this before. It's becoming frustrating because every time I download it, something happens with the download that is messed up. A good thing is at least I got the packs running and NRaas and other mods donwloaded. Now though, I can't get places like Hidden Springs to instal.

If anyone can help me, I would be really grateful. I'll wait till/if someone can. I'm tired of downloading things
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @elleskyheart As a test, please try installing into a clean user data folder. Move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop. Open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, download just one small item (like a hair or a shirt or something), install it, and see whether it stays installed and shows up in-game. When downloading, open the store site in a browser window, preferably Firefox or Internet Explorer.

If the one small item shows up in-game, restart your computer and check again, just to be sure. Then download and install a world, but nothing else, install it, and test. If that works too, you can start installing your other content in small batches, no more than about six items at a time. Worlds should be handled separately, not in a batch with anything else.

It's easy enough to move your other content over to the new Sims 3 folder once you've installed your store stuff. If you need help with this process, this guide is a great explanation of what the various files are and what you'd want to keep:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

If the store stuff doesn't install properly or disappears at any point, please let me know when that happens.
  • Options
    @elleskyheart As a test, please try installing into a clean user data folder. Move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop. Open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, download just one small item (like a hair or a shirt or something), install it, and see whether it stays installed and shows up in-game. When downloading, open the store site in a browser window, preferably Firefox or Internet Explorer.

If the one small item shows up in-game, restart your computer and check again, just to be sure. Then download and install a world, but nothing else, install it, and test. If that works too, you can start installing your other content in small batches, no more than about six items at a time. Worlds should be handled separately, not in a batch with anything else.

It's easy enough to move your other content over to the new Sims 3 folder once you've installed your store stuff. If you need help with this process, this guide is a great explanation of what the various files are and what you'd want to keep:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

If the store stuff doesn't install properly or disappears at any point, please let me know when that happens.

Thank you puzzleaddict. I wanted to thank you personally, igazor and others who help everyone with these difficulties. Without you guys, I don't think anyone would find ways to play the sims 3 or at least they would have a decent amount of trouble. I will try what you suggested. Also, a double thank you from before about cc content. I haven't thank you for that yet. Haven't had time to set it up yet, but will eventually.
  • Options
    @ puzzleaddict

Okay, I have good news and rather very bad news. I was able to install hidden springs. However, now when the game loads, it freezes over and over again on the sim menu and if I'm able to start the game it freezes again. I'm very afraid I may have done something to corrupt sims 3. It was running just fine before I installed hidden springs, but now it freezes. I may have corrupted the folder...
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @elleskyheart Try playing while your computer is not connected to the internet. You can sign into Origin first and then put it in offline mode before launching the game, that is if you use Origin. I'm not suggesting you have to play this way permanently; it's just a useful test.

If the game still crashes, please run a dxdiag and upload it somewhere. Hit Windows key-R, enter "dxdiag" without quotes, let the scan finish, click Save all information, and you'll have a .txt file on your desktop. You can post it at pastebin.com, or upload it to a filesharing service, and then link it here.
  • Options
    @elleskyheart Try playing while your computer is not connected to the internet. You can sign into Origin first and then put it in offline mode before launching the game, that is if you use Origin. I'm not suggesting you have to play this way permanently; it's just a useful test.

If the game still crashes, please run a dxdiag and upload it somewhere. Hit Windows key-R, enter "dxdiag" without quotes, let the scan finish, click Save all information, and you'll have a .txt file on your desktop. You can post it at pastebin.com, or upload it to a filesharing service, and then link it here.

Okay, did as you said. It's working. Thanks so much. Also, hidden springs is downloaded. May I know if connected with the internet freezes the game once it tries to go to the main menu? Also, before, I did repair the files I think just in case I messed something up. It's likely your method though. Normally I don't play online anyone, so it' snot a problem in terms of keeping the internet off. But I do wonder, have people had this freezing problem with it?
  • Options
    @ puzzleaddict

*sigh* I'm very sorry. Once again, I'm needing some help. I dont' know what's going on because this also worked prior the whole cc instal problem. However, the fps is about 500 now instead of 60. It was 60 earlier today. This happened either after I downloaded hidden springs or when I repaired the game files. I know of the method to try and cap it, but it's not working for some reason
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @elleskyheart My first guess would be that OneDrive is trying to sync the contents of Documents with cloud storage while you play, and something about having store content installed doesn't work out well. Being offline prevents any cloud syncing. It's easy enough to uninstall OneDrive, to never sign in, or to prevent it from automatically syncing, if you do want to play while online at some point. Here's a guide for the third option:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98b8b011-8b94-419b-aa95-a14ff2415e85?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

Another guess would be that the issue is your antivirus/firewall. It's easy to test by temporarily disabling it; your computer won't be at risk if all you do is launch Sims 3 and quit once you know it's working.

If it's not worth pursuing though, playing offline works too.

As for the high framerates, what kind of graphics card do you have, and what method have you been using to cap fps? There are plenty of different valid approaches. One common issue though is if you only use vertical sync, and you decide to play in windowed mode, the v-sync setting will no longer apply. If you'd rather play in windowed or would like to be able to switch between it and fullscreen, there are tools that let you explicitly cap fps. But which one(s) to try will depend on the type of graphics card you have.

P.S. Don't be sorry for having more issues. That's why there's a help section here. And everyone who answers questions here does so because we enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I see. That makes sense. Open drive may be what is causing the file problems but I may have fixed that part. Sadly, I don't know the specs. Can you tell me how to find out on a windows 10? I'm sadly not good with tech. I will say thought it worked before, so I don't know why it's doing this now =(

PS-Thank you =')
  • Options
    @elleskyheart Go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, open the file labeled deviceconfig.log, copy the lines between "Graphics device info" (about 25 lines down) and "Options" (about 40 lines down), and paste them here. There are other approaches too, but this will show the graphics driver version as well as the card itself, and also how the game reads your card.

If you've ever taken any steps to limit fps, please let me know what you did. It's fine if you don't remember, or maybe followed a guide you can't find now; just let me know either way.
  • Options
    Kk, here you are. Thanks so much. Also, for the guide, I followed igazor's steps on the 'Thread For New Members To post Their Sims 3 Game issues' The page I followed is on 103. He helped me with this method for my older computer and I followed the same for this one. It worked but once I either finished downloading the expansion packs, or the sim store content, or the repair I did, it's now not working. I've tried redoing it though but sadly it won't work

But here are the specs

=== Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
    Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 2191, Board: 3fbc17aa, Chipset: 00a1
    Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 27.21.14.5183, GUID: D7B71E3E-62D1-11CF-2560-B21F1BC2D635
    Driver version: 5183
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1
    === Options ===
    AnimationSmoothing 1
    LightingQuality 1
    GeneralReflections 1
    TextureQuality 1
    VisualEffects 3
    TerrainQuality 2
    EdgeSmoothing 0
    ObjectHiding 0
    AspectRatio 0
    ForceSquarePixels 1
    SimQuality 1
    TreeQuality 3
    DrawDistance 3
    MaxActiveLots 1
    NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
    AdvancedRendering 1
    AudioQuality 3
    AudioOutputMode 1
    VoiceLevel 255
    SoundFXLevel 255
    MusicLevel 255
    AmbientLevel 255
    FocusMute 1
    VoiceMute 0
    SoundFXMute 0
    MusicMute 0
    AmbientMute 0
    EdgeScrolling 1
    EdgeScrollingWarning 0
    SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
    SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 503791
    SimWhileMinimized 0
    TwelveHourClock 1
    ShowPlacementGrid 0
    AutonomyLevel 2
    DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
    PetAutonomyLevel 2
    AgingInterval 2
    EnableAging 1
    EnableTutorial 1
    EnableIntroTutorial 0
    EnableTombResets 1
    EnableInGameStore 1
    EnableTelemetry 0
    EnableMemories 1
    AgingStageLengthBaby 3
    AgingStageLengthToddler 7
    AgingStageLengthChild 7
    AgingStageLengthTeen 14
    AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
    AgingStageLengthAdult 21
    AgingStageLengthElder 17
    EnableInteractiveLoading 1
    AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
    AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
    AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
    AgingStageLengthKitten 0
    AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
    AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
    AgingStageLengthFoal 0
    AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
    AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
    LunarCycleLength 3
    LunarPhaseLength 0
    EnableLunarCycle 1
    EnableLunarPhase 0
    EnableStoryProgression 1
    EnableVampires 1
    EnableWerewolves 1
    EnablePets 1
    EnableCelebrities 1
    EnableFairies 1
    EnableWitches 1
    EnableHorses 1
    EnableOptOutCeleb 0
    ReceiveConnectTNS 1
    ReceivedDevGift 0
    PostFilterFlags 0
    RequireLoginBeforeLoad 0
    SummerLength 7
    FallLength 7
    WinterLength 7
    SpringLength 7
    SummerEnabled 1
    FallEnabled 1
    WinterEnabled 1
    SpringEnabled 1
    IsCelcius 0
    FogEnabled 1
    RainEnabled 1
    SnowEnabled 1
    HailEnabled 1
    InvertHorizontalRotation 0
    InvertVerticalRotation 0
    VideoCaptureSize 1
    VideoCaptureQuality 2
    VideoCaptureSound 0
    VideoCaptureTime 60
    VideoCaptureHideUI 1
  • Options
    @elleskyheart The repair puts back the original copies of the .sgr files, so it would undo any edits you made to either graphicscards or graphicsrules (to get your card recognized). But it shouldn't have any effect on an fps limiter.

This is still the best guide to setting vertical sync in the Nvidia Control Panel, under the first spoiler:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

If it doesn't work though, you can try setting a Max Frame Rate in the Control Panel. Click Manage 3D Settings, then Global Settings, and you should see it there. You have to enable the setting, then you can choose the max you want, which in your case would be 144. This setting should work in windowed mode as well as fullscreen.

If you'd like to get your graphics card recognized, let me know, and I'll post instructions.
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict

The problem is, is that this worked just a day ago...I don't understand why it's not now. I've done the method, but it still is up to 700 fps and I don't guy why....Is it my mods? I even have selected high-performace NVIDIA selected. Could it be I'm on the wrong file or somethiong...?
  • Options
    It may be the file. Can you tell me the file needed when I add the program? I have the origin version of sims 3
  • Options
    @elleskyheart This wouldn't have anything to do with mods. It could be due to a driver update: maybe some setting isn't working anymore. Or like I said, if you used to play in fullscreen and are now in windowed mode, that would prevent v-sync from working. If you're using an Origin install, please make sure that you're using TS3.exe for the Control Panel profile, and if you downloaded from Steam (or installed via disc), use TS3W.exe, with the W. If you originally installed via disc but patched through Origin, you still need to use TS3.exe, without the W.

There are plenty of other tools to try as well, so it's not a big deal if the Control Panel doesn't work. But try the Max Frame Rate setting anyway, since it doesn't require installing anything else.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Sadly, it's still not working. Can I know how to do the max frame setting? I don't think it'll worked. I'll likely need another method honestly. I'm worried cause the other method requires a lot of downloading and know how

Edit-Wait, I found it. I'll try and see what happens.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @puzzlezaddict

Thanks so much. Your method worked with the max frame rate. I found it and capped it at 60. I hope that's the right number. But again, thanks so much for being patient with me and helping me out. I'll test things this evening and see how it goes. But thanks so much. This method seems to have worked.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top