Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues (2020-22 version!)

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2022
    @Nerdedixlii - If changes to your Game Options are not sticking, it's probably the case that your Options.ini file is corrupt. It is located in your TS3 user game folder in Documents. Try deleting it (or dragging it out to your desktop). The game will generate a new one on its next launch and the settings will all be generic again, but hopefully this time your changes to them should stick.

FYI, the Game Options will always all reset whenever your graphics card drivers get updated. But that should not be an every launch or every day occurrence on any system.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    salemboo356salemboo356 Posts: 2 New Member
    im playing sims 3 and out of no where iv been experiencing this color glitch with clothing the back side of their clothes will be completely black and the front side its normal colors n when this happens im not using cc clothing im using base game clothes
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    @salemboo356 - Although the sims in question may not be using CC, might you have any in your game? Malformed CC can cause graphics issues even when not being used by the sims that display the resulting problems. The way to check this for sure (unless you are certain you have no third party CC at all) is to pull your entire TS3 user game folder out of Documents (or rename it) for safekeeping and start a new test game on the clean no-content game folder that will spawn to take its place. Then see if the issue persists or has cleared up.

This is just a test, when finished either way you can always put your original game folder back into place so you don't lose your saved games or other added content of any kind.

If the issue persists on a clean game folder, then we'll have to get some hardware specs on your current system -- at the very least, processor, RAM, graphics card, hard drive size and space free where the game is installed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    AnnMilAnnMil Posts: 4 New Member
    I have a problem, my sims 3 is crashing veeeeery often, like 10 mins in and crash, most of the time its during things like goin in and out of edit town, cas ..., but it still happends in build while not doing anything too intence, My PC is really good and I checked the performance and everyhing and its not caused by my PC not being strong enough. I have a lot of cc but I used delphys dashboard and removed all the bad cc and I have only nraas mods. I deleted cache files and still. I just wanna play my appalosa plains with my horses and not crash every 10 mins.

Any advice would help.
  • Options
    @AnnMil - Is it only the one ongoing game in Appaloosa that is crashing like that or do any saved game or even new test games do so? By way of the Task Manager, how much RAM (in MBs/GBs) is this saved game using at startup and then after gameplay begins but before the crash?

Delphy's Dashboard is a useful tool, but it is nowhere near foolproof. What happens if/when you try to run the game and use CAS or Edit Town with no CC in play at all?

Although the strength of your hardware might be fine or even over the top for TS3, it would still be helpful to see a full dxdiag report for the system you are working with. There are things that can be off-kilter on any kind of system that will make the game unstable.

How to run one: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
    What to do with the full report: Send it up to Pastebin.com (the free version is fine) and provide a link so we can get to it and read it. As you have New Member status, you will need to break the link up with some spaces like this so it will post.
    https: // pastebin(dot)com/ (some characters)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    It was a new game, I tried other worlds and its better, but still if you do to much stuff at once it crashes. I tried running it with no cc and no change. Task manager shows no spikes and then sims crash and disappear from the TM.

Dxdiag - https: // pastebin.com/ g25sri9B
    hope I did it right, I dont have any experience with the pastebin site XD
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    @AnnMil - The game will run out of resources too easily for most of us if we do "too much" (how much is too much is difficult to define and won't be the same for every player/system) within CAS and Edit Town. It is best to separate out tasks and divide some of them into different CAS and Edit Town sessions with saves in between wherever possible. Besides the 32-bit 4 GB RAM limit, the game can only make use of 800 MB of VRAM (video memory) and its script heap can easily get overwhelmed otherwise.

Yes, your hardware is over the top capable for TS3 so that's not the issue. However, the driver for your graphics card is two years old and should most likely be updated to keep up with Win 10 updates. TS3 was designed in 2007-09, so it's not made to be able to use all of the resources that your system otherwise has available.

Much more importantly though, have you taken the steps to cap the fps by way of the Nvidia Control Panel or some other third party tool? Your graphics card is capable of running wild on fps and TS3 being an older game has no functional built-in fps limiter. The fps actually generated can be checked in game with Ctrl+Shift+C to bring up the cheats console, then type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the fps displayed should never exceed the refresh rate of your monitor. Yours is 60 Hz, so the maximum fps seen should be 60 (some monitors can run a bit higher). To make the fps display go away, cheats console again and type fps off (enter).

Runaway fps can cause no end of issues, including freezes and crashes.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    My fps in ts3 is limited to 60, I will try updatng the driver, but Idk if It will fix almost instant crashes after changing modes and stuff, But thx, imma try.
  • Options
    SaturninexSaturninex Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi there! Back again with another plea for help.
    Recently, I had a save file go caput. While I was saving the game, my computer minimised it to say my laptop battery is running low. No issue, I plugged the charger in and expanded the window again. When I did, the screen was black and my cursor was just a little spinning wheel. This didn't change for 20 minutes, so I assumed I couldn't do anything and terminated the program on task manager.
    The next time I booted up sims, I found the save file was no longer there. Like, at all in the game. Being the hardcore simmer I am I had a previous save file for the same game, but it's missing a couple cool community lots I built and a family I'd brought together.
    I'd been saving each game as "moonvalleyV1/2/3/etc" and the file I lost was v8. I went back to v7, started rebuilding the things I'd lost, and saved it again as a new file, v8.
    My question though, the reason I'm typing this all out, is that when looking at my files on my computer, there's a "moonvalleyv8" and a "moonvalleyv8_backup" file. Is this backup file likely to be the one I've corrupted and lost, or the new v8 file that I created recently? I'd love to know if there's a way to get it back onto my game so I don't have to rebuild my cool, underground vampire lounge again. Thank you!
  • Options
    StxrmySoulStxrmySoul Posts: 2 New Member
    I play Sims 3 on an Xbox 360 and for some reason I can't pick up seeds anymore. They don't highlight when I try to select them to pick them up so I don't even get the option to do so. Is there a way to fix this?
  • Options
    @StxrmySoul - Might your sim's inventory be full? (sorry if that's too obvious).

Afraid I don't know of any great places to get assistance with the console versions of TS3 these days. This forum is really all about the computer game and many of us have never played on console. Let's see if anyone else responds? And you might try EA' AHQ board for TS3, especially as they don't have membership requirements to start new threads.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    LibbyWatersLibbyWaters Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi!
    So, I had a bit of a weird problem that I'm worried about.

I have this legacy family I've been playing with for a few years now. It got laggy recently and so I installed MasterController (and the Cheats version), Overwatch, ErrorTrap, and Story Progression from nraas to try to keep it safe. Besides that, I have no other mods.

On said legacy family, one of my sims had a child. She randomly disappeared (at least I think she did, this was about a year ago so my memory is fuzzy of it), her portrait on the family tree took forever to load, and some of her details were missing. I couldn't find her. She stayed a child and in the family tree but wasn't in the town. I gave up after a while.

But then I tried finding her with mastercontroller today and managed to do so through the 'Invite Over' option. Got her back and added her to active household and immediately began to have problems. The first was that she had the 'Days until aging up: never' status. Part of it was green but there were no days specified. Her portrait was blank in the family tree as well as on the left side of the screen and in the place above her lifetime wish. She also was unable to go to school because 'there were no available schools in the town' despite all the other children being able to go to school. The third, which was arguably the most concerning, was that the game wouldn't let me Edit Town because 'you can't edit town while a sim in your household is dying'. She was not dying, nor should she be able to because she's a kid (however, I did notice that I clicked onto her status in MC that there was a note saying Death Style: Burn to Death despite her not being dead). I tried resetting her, resetting the whole town, waiting until 3AM for nraas to possibly fix it - nothing changed. So I force killed her, brought her back using the Philosopher's Stone, and that fixed the school, aging, and edit town problems. However, her portrait icon is still missing and I'm a bit worried I brought a corrupt sim into my game. If anyone has any insight, I'd be very grateful.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @LibbyWaters - From what you have described, I think MC found a small amount of data associated with this child who was removed from the game by whatever forces (perhaps when a different household was active and NRaas wasn't in play to provide protection for resident sims?), but it wasn't really enough data for it to re-make the sim entirely even though it tried to do so. And yes, that's one way sim corruption can sneak in although it's kind of a convoluted route.

Anyway, what I would probably do is Totally Annihilate (TA) this sim using MC. That sounds cruel, but it doesn't kill or hurt sims, it arranges it so that it's as if this sim never existed. ErrorTrap should then step in and automatically clean up any leftover sim data. Then I might re-create a sim to essentially be her, if my story would be lacking in some horrible way by her no longer having existed in any capacity.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    StxrmySoulStxrmySoul Posts: 2 New Member
    @igazor unfortunately their inventory is not full, thank you though!
  • Options
    @igazor Hmm okay, thanks! Yeah, that would make sense - I never played as her household. That makes me a bit worried, though because I found this child by going through MC >SIM> Status>Personal>Type of Sim (or)>Local
    And there are over 280 sims in that category. But TA says I only have 100 or so in town. I feel like the remaining 180 may also have some corruption issues. Is here’s way to TA all of them at once, without having to invite them over one at a time?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @LibbyWaters - There may be sims showing up under Local that have never been instantiated (materialized on-screen), such as thus far unneeded members of service and adoption pools, equestrian breeding sims (if you have Pets), unused resort workers and vehicle drivers. I wouldn't worry about that. If you force their small bundles of unused data out of your game they are just going to partially respawn until they are needed. When I get an unexpectedly large number of sims in my face by using one of those filters, I usually blame myself and try a different filter instead.

The true readings on number of residents and others actually in your game/world can be obtained from, on City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > "X" to dismiss the filter.

More in-depth analysis than that would probably be a great topic to bring to us over at NRaas, though. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor Ah okay, makes sense.
    'More in-depth analysis'?
  • Options
    @igazor Ah okay, makes sense.
    'More in-depth analysis'?
    I meant a more in-depth analysis of what each MC filter is actually producing for you.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    HarridanHarridan Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello, I am unable to log in to the game while I play. I have been trying to resolve this for a few days, so have cleared caches, done resets, deleted file with my email etc.
    I am now thinking maybe it is because I am on Windows11. Is anyone managing to play on Windows11 AND log in to get your achievements and send gifts etc?
  • Options
    @Harridan - Have you tried changing your password, ensuring that it is alphanumeric (numbers and letters) only with no special characters?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    104menikki104menikki Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi there! I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong in optimizing my Sims 3 game or if there is something else I can do. I recently swapped back to playing TS3 after I got bored of TS4 gameplay, and it's wayy more laggy than it used to be. When I played years ago I only had the base game though. Now I have all of the packs as well as (I believe) the majority of store content. Here's a list of things I have done to optimize my game:
    - Made the game identify my GPU and CPU
    - fixed my ram allocation for every single pack (that had the file)
    - Limited the frame rate and enabled vsync
    - cleared and locked down my 'featureditems' folder
    - clear my cache before every launch
    - installed the unofficial Sims 3 smoothness patch by LazyDuchess
    - installed multiple Nraas mods, including (but not limited to) Master Controller, Retuner, Overwatch, Error Trap, and the Debug Enabler
    - installed all of EllaCharmed's 'fixed worlds'
    - play on medium graphics
    - installed the decrapped store fixes
    Additionally, I do have a few pieces of CC but not very many. Mostly hairs (only about 5-10) and a few shoes (3-4).
    I also have a couple mods, including minimum wage, improved attraction system, improved memory system, taxi/subway fees, and maybe about 30 sliders with XCAS.
    Here are my specs:
    Intel Core i5 9400F (clocked at 3900MHz)
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (clocked at 1365MHz)
    TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 16GB 3200MHz
    When actively running TS3 my CPU load is hovering around 25% and my GPU at 18%.
    The lag issues:
    In my game I will often faced severe stuttering, to the point that I will move the camera and my game will freeze for a minute. I can barely use build mode, as the game also severely freezes and lags there. My CPU isn't spiking during these lags and freezes, so I really believe it's an in game issue. I've tried different worlds and different sims and it's always the same. I really have no clue what I should do at this point. If there is some kind of solution to this please let me know! I know TS3 is not a very well optimized game and the engine can only run so well, but I do know it should be running better than this.
    Sorry for the extremely long post. I just want to make sure all of the information is given.
    TIA
  • Options
    104menikki wrote: »
    - fixed my ram allocation for every single pack (that had the file)
    Not really sure what this means. It's only the base game's TS3.exe (for Origin/Patch 1.69) or the TS3w.exe (with the "w" for 1.67) that calls for RAM and the game has been Large Address Aware (LAA) ever since Patch 1.17 was released back in 2010. That's the best a 32-bit application can do, it can't recognize more than 4 GB of RAM for itself without losing its mind. The actual upper limit for TS3 is ~3.7 GB due to some overhead. Can you try undoing whatever you did here?

You've covered a lot in the above, but are the drivers for your GPU up to date? And you are certain that the fps is staying locked at or below the refresh rate of your monitor during gameplay as indicated, checking by way of the fps on cheat code?

Also, to remove some at this point unknown variables maybe you could try doing without the smoothness patch and the decrap stuff until you get the game running the way it should on your hardware? Try to stay with known to be gentle to play worlds like Sunset Valley, Riverview, or Twinbrook (not Bridgeport or Isla P for example) until you get things improved. And play while not logged in at the Launcher or in-game levels, with the in-game TS3 store shipping experience off, as well as the startup hidden object game off.

There will always be some camera lag and stutter on modern rigs, but not to the extent that you describe. Does the game really freeze up on you for a full real minute at a time?

What kind of installation is this?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    104menikki104menikki Posts: 4 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > There will always be some camera lag and stutter on modern rigs, but not to the extent that you describe. Does the game really freeze up on you for a full real minute at a time?
    >
    > What kind of installation is this?

It does freeze up that way, especially when entering CAS or using the create a style tool. It may be due to changing my RAM allocation. I went into the Sims3 configuration settings file, went to:
    [ResourceSystem] MemoryUsageLimit = 20000000
    and changed it to the following:
    [ResourceSystem] MemoryUsageLimit = 80000000
    I then went through any packs that had the Sims3 config settings file and changed the same thing.

My GPU drivers are up to date.

My FPS never goes above 60. When my game is paused it hovers right on 59-60, but as soon as I unpause and do anything I'm getting 20-30 frames. My refresh rate is 144, which matches my monitor.

In reference to the kind of installation, I installed it through Steam.

I always play offline and with the store pop ups off. I'm also playing in Lucky Palms, which I believe isn't a world that's too intense.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    104menikki wrote: »
    I went into the Sims3 configuration settings file, went to:
    [ResourceSystem] MemoryUsageLimit = 20000000
    and changed it to the following:
    [ResourceSystem] MemoryUsageLimit = 80000000
    I then went through any packs that had the Sims3 config settings file and changed the same thing.
    I'm afraid that's a pretty popular misconception of what those values really mean. What you have done there is change the theoretical upper limit of the game's script heap from 20 GB (not 2 GB) to 80 GB. That may have no real impact at all, but it might also be contributing to instability as the game engine can only handle so much stress. We don't know why the game's developers chose 20 GB as the default script heap max value as opposed to something else, but it's really best to leave that setting alone.

The game can't use more than just under 4 GB of RAM (~3.7 GB) and will already reach for the amount when it needs to on its own. If it really tries to reach for more than that, it will crash, Error12 upon trying to save (which is just as bad because no one wants to play a game they cannot save), or generally lose its mind. I'm afraid that EA never produced a 64-bit version of TS3 for Windows, which is what would be required to get it to use more RAM successfully. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    MrsJohnston0820MrsJohnston0820 Posts: 4 New Member
    hi,

So last night after downloading more CC my sims 3 launcher started acting funny. The welcome page says it cannot load and problems may be that it is being updated or its no longer ava. the other tabs work when i click on them but i cannot download any more CC content as the launcher will not let me stay logged in. I tried to delete all my CC and just play the game and the game will start by then when it goes to connect me it just spins and spins. So i uninstalled my entire sims 3 including the expansion's and then reinstalled everything, and still the same problem. i have been playing on this same laptop the entire time and its a gaming laptop with plenty of space, and have not had any issues until last night out of no where. is Sims 3 down all together or what????? i have spent A LOT OF MONEY the last couple of days on Sims 3 because it is my favorite, but now i cannot access anything or play my game, so its like i just threw money down the drain. What is going on here with Sims 3 and the launcher?????

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top