August 7 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!
Are you ready for the The Sims Spark'd? Discuss the final episode here! Don't forget to use spoiler tags! Need a refresher? Click here!

Do you prefer open world or open lots?

124...Next

Comments

• simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 571 Member
    Open world
    Given the fact there are at any given time 100 or more Sims going about there lives. So there must be a balance between open world and open lots such as retail and other commercial lots without crashing the game. Plus not many folks can afford a serious gaming PC. Do we really want the Sims for the rich and throw hardworking players under the bus.

Yeah, I'm not even close to being rich and I was able to get a serious gaming PC. Besides, a bigger issue is the utilization of 64 bits. There are serious misconceptions and excuses thrown around the community with this concept.

BTW, I voted open world, because I disagree with the thread's framing and I'd want MORE/BEYOND, not between/compromise. o:)
    "Challenge everything"
    My Sims blog
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    Sims Crush: Kyle Shalom
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 571 Member
    Open world
    Susim62 wrote: »
    I'm a rotational player, and open world doesn't work for this style of play.
    Also, we wouldn't be able to travel between worlds the way we do now.
    Contrary to popular opinion, if Sims 5 is open world I'm out.

That's not true, it CAN work. I happily make it work, and prefer it. And it's 2020, we could theoretically have world travel and open hoods.

You should look into specifics when Sims 5 comes out, don't assume things.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Sims blog
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    Sims Crush: Kyle Shalom
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 513 Member
    edited July 30
    open world with open lots :)
    i have best of both in my sims 3 game
    ingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 6,702 Member
    edited August 5
    Open world
    Open lots AND open world.

I like to explore... no particular destination in mind, which means that a loading screen between "districts" is a deal-breaker for me. Either get it done right so that we don't need loading screens or get off the can.

Secondly: the term is "game development" not "game stalling". Don't expect game development to wait for you so that you can catch up with technology. If we did that, we'd still be trying to put wheels on horse driven carts instead of having had men walk on the moon in 1969.

And I'm not a guy with the latest game-machine. I'm playing Sims 3 and all its packs on a Vivobook because that's all I can afford at this time. Maybe when our finances get better I can afford a smoking gaming PC, but right now...I put up with linitations. But far be it from me to ask others to hold back their tech advances just so I can catch up and far be it for me to ask a game manufacturer to not push game development boundaries.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    RiverMcIrishFanatic_rs.jpg
    Nikkei_Simmer's Sims 3 Blog - For more Sims 3 stories...

"The only conceivable use for a vampire is as a sharpened stick tester." ~ Haruo Chikamori, werewolf
  • DeadManHBKDeadManHBK Posts: 116 Member
    definitely open world. i love that about ts3, it's just so fun to be able to just explore around the town. it helped me find people when you were supposed to interact/befriend them, and it also helped me find things (seeds, rocks, stone, etc.) i hope they bring it back, honestly.
    500c175dfecfd4bfdb430b6ae61d85abc33cef98_hq.gif

A n a l Na t h r a c h D o c h e'l D e'n m h a
    A n a l Na t h r a c h T i e r a N a t r a c h...
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 148 Member
    Open lots
    I actually just can't stand open world. It was super buggy and slow and destroyed every computer I had Sims 3 on. I never thought about what that person said though about letting Sims enjoy the rabbit hole, but I completely agree. I like to watch what the pets do during that time they're away.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 204 Member
    In between (please explain)
    I'd prefer something like open neighborhoods, though I don't care that much. Not going to lie, when 3 first came out I hated it. It was so different, the Sims looked awful, and obviously the base was much more bare than 2 with expansions. I stopped playing for years until the pets pack came out. After that, I got used to the open world, but I do not really prefer it. It is a lot of things going on at once and the open worlds seem to come with a trade off of not being able to hop between worlds easily, which is disappointing.

The way lots worked in 1 and 2, it made sense that you could not go anywhere without the loading screen. You were restricted to the lot. I appreciate open lots that allow you to walk around the neighborhood. It makes the world fill bigger, even though they are so small. However, open lots made it annoying that each house you could reach required a loading screen. If I can see it and walk to it, it should already be loaded. Plus open neighborhoods should allow for a smaller scale open world feel, but allow for loading screens to pop between neighborhoods and worlds.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,072 Member
    Open world
    There's no reason that open lots couldn't exist with open worlds. They did in TS3. Performance would be even better in the future. EA/Maxis have already made the move to a full 64-bit platform for The Sims and they're not turning back. The 64-bit platform would make a huge difference. As long as a computer has sufficient memory, the game would be allowed to take any free memory that is needed in order to run smoothly. These days, it's increasingly common for gaming computers to ship with 16 to 32 gigs of memory. Custom orders ship with more.

The players who insist on playing games on computers that weren't meant for playing games are going to be left behind. That's not a guess, it's a fact. EA has already shed some of those players midstream with TS4 (which I didn't agree with). Therefore, anyone who wants to play a new game for years to come should consider saving for upgrades or a new computer as soon as is reasonably possible.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,159 Member
    Open world
    Susim62 wrote: »
    I'm a rotational player, and open world doesn't work for this style of play.
    Also, we wouldn't be able to travel between worlds the way we do now.
    Contrary to popular opinion, if Sims 5 is open world I'm out.

There are TS3 simmers who play the game rotationally so that style of play DOES work in an open world. Ask them and they will teach you how.

Progress in the Life Simulation Genre!

Rod Humble's Latest Interview on His Deepest Project Yet for Paradox Tectonic

Paralives - Meet Sebastian!
    (Body hair with color wheel, and para-lore!)
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,159 Member
    edited August 5
    Open world
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I really hated how in ts3 everything was rabbithole
    so I really don't want open world minus open lots
    definitely out of 2 I prefer open lots by far

but I also think the real good is somewhere in between

like level open neighborhood
    so you can do stuff off lot and interact with neighbors

Every rabbit hole in TS3 can be converted into active lots.

Open world systems can create whatever level of openness a simmer would want, so this would be the best one.

Progress in the Life Simulation Genre!

Rod Humble's Latest Interview on His Deepest Project Yet for Paradox Tectonic

Paralives - Meet Sebastian!
    (Body hair with color wheel, and para-lore!)