Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to make emotions more meaningful

So I think we can all agree that the emotions system is really underwhelming, I've just been thinking if the sims team ever did a massive overhaul of them what they could do. Here's maybe some ideas they could have:

- Add in a scared emotion. Honestly it's a pretty big emotion that I don't know why they didn't put in. "Tense" isn't really scared.

- I feel like emotions should impact game-play more, like if they added a scared emotion, sims could be too scared to leave the house at night time (Unless they had a trait to combat it e.g a brave trait) could be quite jittery, be around family and friends more. If a sim is sad or bored. They could gain skills at a slower rate since they're not in the right frame of minf. An angry sim could be impossible to use any kind of friendly interaction on until they've calmed down with like options to calm them down with like a 50/50 chance of it working. Just emotions to affect how sims act and the game-play a bit more.

- make it so buffs aren't making your sims have mood swings. Maybe make it so your sims can only have about 3 buffs "mood-lets" at a time and they get replaced only when they've run out of time or your sims is around a buff with a higher number like 20+ and will knock away the one that is the lowest, like 5+ etc etc. And the more impactful and devastating buffs should last longer and personally shouldn't be allowed to be overridden till the time on it lapses e.g a death.

These are just some thoughts and ideas I had. What do you think? and what ideas would you suggest to improve emotions? :)

Comments

• MinaiMinai Posts: 704 Member
    edited May 2020
    While I do enjoy meaningful emotions mod, I would appreciate a game feature like that as well. Fear is definitely a much needed emotion in the game. Also we need a memory system.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited May 2020
    The best way to fix emotions is remove the mess they call emotions now and start from scrap adding in animations to change Sims behavior and reactions to things instead of the huge icon telling us our Sim is energized and yes we really need fear.
    Post edited by ChadSims2 on
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • coogee78coogee78 Posts: 177 Member
    I agree that there should be a scared

Making mood buff have higher strength that degrade over time, with environmental ones being weaker would be a way of improving the system.
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    edited May 2020
    I agree with people by saying their Emotions are bipolar with how it's all over the place you could just be doing anything and then suddenly it just drops for what seems like no apparent reason, then you complete the task and it's back up again, i really enjoyed TS2 without any emotions i felt they had emotions through the little animation details but if you want to keep this Emotions system in there then i think it has to make more sense as to why they get Happy or Sad between all the things that they do and how they interact with other sims, right now it's just up and down up and down lol, they also get very unhappy just because they need a shower or the toilet too but maybe for that they can just feel... i dunno... a little fatigued? rather than slouching every time they need to take a pee or shower, 1 or 2 Needs shouldn't have such a big impact on their Mood.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I would like an emotion update but only a very minor one. I wouldn't want it to change how it is much.

I also don't want a scared emotion, the paranoid trait does that well enough but sims are already scared of thunderstorms (most of them ) and it's really annoying how over the top it's done. If they could tie it to a trait or make it optional to turn on a fear for some sims of some things then maybe, but def. with a toggle off

I would like to see a bit more added if you give your sim an emotional trait. Cheerful sims a bit stronger happy buff, gloomy ones a bit stronger sad one, but that's it.

And then the other thing I wouldn't mind updated was mourning emotion. Being in mourning for the same amount of time when your child dies as when the person who served you a hotdog at a food stand dies is quite bizarre.

Mourning should also be removed for infants and tots unless its a parent/sibling that lived in the same household that dies (and even then still removed from infants. They are too young to mourn, we can't do anything to click the buff off since we can't see what's causing it to cheat it off even but it's super annoying every time someone dies and the infant gets the eternal sad buff that lasts until the day they age up (and often a day past but at least once they become toddler we can cheat the last day of the mourning off haha)
  • plantasimplantasim Posts: 28 Member
    does anyones sims die of emotions still?
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Pulquo wrote: »
    does anyones sims die of emotions still?

I usually cheat so they can't, but yes, I had a few die of emotions a couple months ago in a non-cheated challenge
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Tight now, mods are the only way to address the insane emotions the Sims go through. It's like they are all The Joker. And yes, someone dying the infant or toddler didn't even know hardly at all, ruining their entire childhood? There's no excuse for that. Sims are like that mayor or governor of Halloween Town with the exaggerated happy and sad faces that flipped around so suddenly. Creepy AF.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited September 2020

Post edited by PreCiious on