Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Doors and windows are being freed from the grid!

2...Next

Comments

• j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    This makes me almost as happy as when we got the stairs update omg. Now I can actually choose the windows I 🐸🐸🐸🐸 well please without messing everything up because of a single tile.

And the inventory update, not gonna lie, I could cry. I hate not being able to categorize my mess lol. I have one specific sim I have always wanted this for because she has so much stuff that I use on the regular.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I wonder if they will do the same for paintings and decorations.

We can do this with alt, don't we? The one restriction is, I think, mirror height.
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member

Paintings and decor are already free like that, same goes for mirrors.
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    I just hope they give us an option to toggle on and off... because I'm still gonna wanna be building on grids for certain things. They better not just take away the grid completely...

This will require one to press and hold the alt key to get smooth free placement. Not holding it down will make the window plop to the grid but it will plop to half grid now so still more free than before.
  • sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    I have to admit, I was watching the whole stream from beginning to end and when SimGuruGeorge showed off a few windows and placed them off the grid, I did not realize he's showcasing that new feature xD
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,872 Member
    I'm so happy about that!! Finally the three tile doors can be centered !! Finally windows won't look weird !!
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Ohh this is such good news to wake up to! Yes yes YESS!! I didn't see the stream, but it looks like I probably should :D
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    sofasim wrote: »
    I have to admit, I was watching the whole stream from beginning to end and when SimGuruGeorge showed off a few windows and placed them off the grid, I did not realize he's showcasing that new feature xD

I didn't realize it either! And I struggled with window placement just the other day when tweaking a house so I should have noticed....
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    j1z1 wrote: »
    This makes me almost as happy as when we got the stairs update omg. Now I can actually choose the windows I 🌺🌺🌺🌺 well please without messing everything up because of a single tile.

And the inventory update, not gonna lie, I could cry. I hate not being able to categorize my mess lol. I have one specific sim I have always wanted this for because she has so much stuff that I use on the regular.

We can do this with alt, don't we? The one restriction is, I think, mirror height.
    sikasika18 wrote: »

I mean like I want to be able to slide objects around on a table without having them locked into the slot. I only see people able to do that by using the red cc shelf.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited May 2020
    Deleted
    This makes me almost as happy as when we got the stairs update omg. Now I can actually choose the windows I 🌺🌺🌺🌺 well please without messing everything up because of a single tile.

I mean like I want to be able to slide objects around on a table without having them locked into the slot. I only see people able to do that by using the red cc shelf.

This would be awesome!

You can unlock paintings and wall decor from the grid now. Simply hold down the alt key while placing them. I would love if they could unlock mirrors though!

Didn’t know that about paintings but what about things like table lamps?
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member

You can unlock paintings and wall decor from the grid now. Simply hold down the alt key while placing them. I would love if they could unlock mirrors though!

Table lamps will snap to the different slots on the surface. I tried with desks, dining, coffee, accent, picnic etc. Bedside tables and patio tables seem to only have one slot. It didn't matter if I had "alt" pressed or not, the lamp behaved the same. So, seems its the same as other decoration that are put on surfaces.
    Kathykins wrote: »

Table lamps will snap to the different slots on the surface. I tried with desks, dining, coffee, accent, picnic etc. Bedside tables and patio tables seem to only have one slot. It didn't matter if I had "alt" pressed or not, the lamp behaved the same. So, seems its the same as other decoration that are put on surfaces.

Yea that’s what I’m hoping they will update next, being able to place stuff like table lamps wherever on a surface.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member

Ugh yes! I'd kill for this too. I hate having to remove the surface to place with alt, then putting it back in, then removing it again because it's not right. I end up just not doing it and leaving the two or three objects that do fit right where they snapped.

Just clicking alt on them would be so helpful.

Yeah, I thought you were just asking about wall decor lol. Mirrors should have height freedom too, but I guess I see how that can be more difficult to allow.