Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

There is Something Wrong With my Sims 3 Launcher.

hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
Btw, I just redid my sims 3 folder because it was acting up recently.

So, what's happening is that whenever I'm trying to install content, the installer doesn't show any progress, it just pops up as a black box or it just doesn't show up at all. The icon for the installer also doesn't show on my taskbar...
It's never acted this way until I started downloading lots from the official site.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    You might have some bad cc, maybe attached to one of the lots you downloaded. Or there's something else in your Sims 3 user data folder that's preventing the new content from installing properly. Or the new content you're installing could be corrupt, either bad content or a bad download.

The easiest test is to pull your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launcher to create a new folder, then install the new content you've been trying to add. If it works—it installs, it shows up in-game, there's no extra content you didn't expect listed in the launcher's Installed content tab, and opening that tab doesn't crash the launcher—then the issue is something in your old user data folder, and you'll need to test to find out what.

How much custom content do you have installed through the launcher? With the lots you've been downloading, do you want to keep the cc, if any, that came with them? Would it be a pain to reinstall your existing cc? There are a few different approaches you can try, depending on whether you're willing to start from scratch and/or delete some content.
  • hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    You might have some bad cc, maybe attached to one of the lots you downloaded. Or there's something else in your Sims 3 user data folder that's preventing the new content from installing properly. Or the new content you're installing could be corrupt, either bad content or a bad download.
    I don't see any bad .package files or anything that shows that it hasn't been installed properly. The lots that I just installed claimed to be CC free on the official site and the residential lots I previously had are working (those that couldn't be installed were deleted because I didn't have said requirement).
    The easiest test is to pull your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launcher to create a new folder, then install the new content you've been trying to add. If it works—it installs, it shows up in-game, there's no extra content you didn't expect listed in the launcher's Installed content tab, and opening that tab doesn't crash the launcher—then the issue is something in your old user data folder, and you'll need to test to find out what.
    Everything worked up until I had to reinstall my old folder. Well, I think it might've been something to do with those other files (ex: Options.ini, LoadOption.ini, bin, logs, etc). I don't know, the Installer wouldn't popup like it did before once I repasted everything.
    How much custom content do you have installed through the launcher?
    I have mainly .package files vs .sims3packs and they're in my Mods folder. There's quite enough stuff stored inside. Although, I don't know the total size for that folder. Before testing, I had installed Sims, Households, and other custom content, which was fairly lengthy in "Downloads" and "Installed Content". Now, it's pretty little for some reason.
    With the lots you've been downloading, do you want to keep the cc, if any, that came with them?
    Yes, I plan to.
    Would it be a pain to reinstall your existing cc? There are a few different approaches you can try, depending on whether you're willing to start from scratch and/or delete some content.
    Yes, of course, but if there's a way to play the game effectively and help me install content quickly and smoothly, then I'm up for it.
  • oliv3oliv3 Posts: 106 Member
    > @hellokitty1496 said:
    > Btw, I just redid my sims 3 folder because it was acting up recently.
    >
    > So, what's happening is that whenever I'm trying to install content, the installer doesn't show any progress, it just pops up as a black box or it just doesn't show up at all. The icon for the installer also doesn't show on my taskbar...
    > It's never acted this way until I started downloading lots from the official site.

OMG! I had this happen to me earlier this year, I found this youtube video (link below) and it helped fix the problem without having to do anything invasive. I am big downloader and did not know you should delete the download items out of the launcher. Not the installed items though. Also, I am fanatic now of deleting my caches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geXUwoWUcYQ
    Bad custom content doesn't always identify itself, and it doesn't always cause problems right away. The cumulative effect of a lot of content can also prevent the launcher from working correctly. So it often takes some work to pinpoint the issue.

There are two main approaches to a problem like this. One is to sort through the content in your user data folder a bit at a time, adding something and testing to see whether the launcher still works. If it doesn't, you know that whatever you've just added is the problem, or at least part of it. By the way, options.ini and the log files don't need to be added back. Most of the files in the user data folder will be recreated right away, and it's often helpful to force the game to spawn new ones.

If you don't want to disturb your existing installed custom content, what you can do is create a clean Sims 3 folder, then copy (not drag and drop, copy and paste) your content into the clean folder in batches and test. Since you're copying the files, the originals will still be intact, so you can mess with the copies all you want without worrying. Or, if you find that you've copied all the important content (saves, custom content, store stuff, Library entries) into the new folder and new cc still installs fine, you can just go ahead and play in that new folder.

Here's a list of everything you'll find in your user data folder, with explanations of what you'd want to preserve:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

The other approach is to install your new custom content into a clean folder and then move it to your existing Sims 3 folder afterwards. The launcher still won't work when your existing folder is in place, but you can easily swap to a clean folder when you want to install something. The only trick to this is that you'll need to renumber the newly created .dbc files (bundled custom content) so they don't have the same name as your existing ones. For example, if you have dcdb0.dbc through dcdb4.dbc in your existing Sims 3 folder, when you create a new folder and install content into that folder, the new .dbc file in DCCache will also be labeled dcdb0. Renumber it to dcdb5.dbc before moving it over, and everything should work together. The entries in the Library folder can just be moved over without doing anything special.

How best to approach this depends in part on your personal preferences. If I were in this position, I'd just install everything into a clean user data folder, but then again I don't have a lot of stuff to install. Otherwise, I'd test in batches and get rid of any files that caused problems with the launcher. But if you don't care about the launcher not working normally, it's fine to go the other route. It's not going to affect the game's program files, and as long as you've backed up your saves and anything else critical, there's no harm in experimenting a bit or playing with possibly borked content.
    edited May 2020
    @puzzlezaddict So far I found a tedious way, which is to select and open the sims3pack file and wait for my items to load. I'll be testing to see if the issue can be resolved on a later date and whether or not if it's just this computer. I'm not too sure about the dbc files.

@puzzlezaddict Now that I figured my way around that, the launcher now won't play. I changed the compatibility to Windows 8 and for it be run through admin, but whenever I press play, it'll be stuck in mid-launch (pre-loading screen).
    Post edited by hellokitty1496 on
    Sorry, I didn't see your edit until now. Sims 3 doesn't require any compatibility mode, and using one often causes more problems than it solves. Please undo the setting and let me know whether the game launches. If it doesn't, please move your entire Sims 3 user data folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and let the game spawn another clean folder, at least for now. There might be a corrupt file preventing the game from launching, or it might be something else, and this is the fastest way to find out.

If the game still doesn't launch properly, please run a dxdiag. Hit Windows key-R, enter "dxdiag" without quotes, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the dxdiag to your desktop. Upload it to a filesharing site (the free version of pastebin.com is fine), and link it here.
    edited May 2020
    @puzzlezaddict Okay, so when I moved over the folder, it worked. I later tried using delphy's dashboard if that would help in some way. I think it might've, but it wasn't recognizable. Here's the link: https://pastebin.com/5yu56ets
    If you moved the user data folder and now the game works, that means there's something wrong with the user data folder. You can try to sort through the content, or reinstall from scratch, whichever is easier and less frustrating.

If you do want to sort through your existing content, you can add it back in batches, testing each time to see whether the game still works. This can be tedious, but it's more effective than relying on Delphy's Dashboard to flag bad cc. "Method by Mell," described in Crinrict's guide to getting rid of bad cc, is useful for both testing .dbc bundles individually and for uninstalling an item when the launcher isn't cooperating reliably.

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

I do want to point out though that there are a number of system errors in your dxdiag. Your GPU driver is crashing, the USB 3.0 driver is crashing, and a component of the 2005 VC++ runtime (which Sims 3 uses) is crashing the game. Let me know if you want to troubleshoot any of these issues, and I'll write out instructions.
    edited June 2020
    @puzzlezaddict Yeah, I'd like help with the troubleshoots.
    Post edited by hellokitty1496 on
    Okay, but please run and link a new dxdiag, so I can see the current state of your drivers and other info. Please also let me know whether Sims 3 runs well without crashing when you're testing in a clean folder. I'm not saying you need to play that way normally, but it's useful information to have.

By the way, I happened to open this thread today just by coincidence, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have noticed you edited your reply to ask for help. If I don't respond to a similar edit in the future, please post again and tag me so I see it.
    @puzzlezaddict I was rambling about Delphy's mod, but I already found the problem, so I just retracted. Now, as far as my launcher goes, I managed to get pass the errors I was facing (grayed buttons, black screen, unresponsiveness). I think once I didn't include the .backup folders from the Saves folder, that it was able to work correctly. I'm still on the fence since I haven't even copy & pasted my mods folder, yet.

https://pastebin.com/f32vN0gi

I tried finding out how to update my drivers and whatnot of the requirements, but my drivers are claimed to be updated. Unless, I'm overlooking it. *shrug*
    Sorry about the late reply. Interestingly, some of the installed Intel drivers for your motherboard are actually older than the ones you had before. This isn't a problem, it just reflects that the default drivers for Windows 10 build 19041, which you've installed since you ran the first dxdiag, are older than the newest ones for build 1909.

Your newest dxdiag doesn't have most of the errors of the previous one, just a pile of Sims 3 crashes related to the 2005 VC++ runtime that the game uses. These might be the crashes you've been having while sorting through the content in your user data folder—cc-related crashes often look like that. But there's no harm in uninstalling and reinstalling the runtime, in case it is in fact an issue.

Hit Windows key-i, select Apps, scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable x86, click on it, and select Uninstall. Don't touch the x64 version, if you happen to have it, or any of the other years' versions. Then download a new one from Microsoft. You only need to install the x86, since that's the one Sims 3 uses.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26347

Restart your computer before playing again.

If you have more crashing issues, please look for related entries in the Reliability Monitor. Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes. You'll see a chart of entries for each day; today is all the way on the right. For any entry that corresponds with a Sims 3 crash, please click "View technical details," copy the information, and paste it into a reply here. The crashes can take an hour or two to be listed in the Reliability Monitor, and their timestamps in the initial chart can be similarly inaccurate, although the timestamps in the technical details are usually correct. If you see something like this:

Fault bucket 1786816379135142758, type 1
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: TS3.exe
    P2: 0.2.0.32
    P3: 568d4bac
    P4: MSVCR80.dll
    P5: 8.0.50727.9672
    P6: 5db2b1b8
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 0001500a
    P9:
    P10:

you can ignore it, at least if you've already uninstalled and reinstalled the 2005 VC++ runtime, which would have addressed any issues with MSVCR80.dll (as opposed to the game not using it correctly). The RADAR_PRE_LEAK errors are also typical and not particularly problematic. Any other Sims 3 or Origin errors, I'd like to see, as well as any errors that happen while you're playing, regardless of whether they mention the game.
    Date
    ‎8/‎13/‎2020 12:02 PM

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: TS3.exe
    Application Version: 0.2.0.32
    Application Timestamp: 568d4bac
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 10.0.19041.423
    Fault Module Timestamp: 6e329152
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000620b3
    OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 2beb
    Additional Information 2: 2beba6fb4680d73a8c78ca7c24ccdb46
    Additional Information 3: 146e
    Additional Information 4: 146e76a22a53215b6219e5ad140768df

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 27380ae179f417c5e90ba062579bf62b (1804712419929093675)

I reinstalled 2005 VC++ runtime, but now I have the same issues as before, lol 🙃. I'm no longer able to download content nor be in-game. I took a break from this, but came back to try this out. @puzzlezaddict, Will I ever find the main culprit, :D?
    Sorry for the late reply. That error is an access violation, and unfortunately, it could in theory come from a number of places. But the first suspect would still be something in your user data folder that the launcher can't handle. Can you install content into a clean Sims 3 folder? Even if you'd like to keep the content from the old one, this is a good test. And while it's more complicated to install in a clean folder and then move the new files to the old folder, it can be done.

And just to clarify, can you play a little bit, but the game crashes frequently; or can you not even play at all? Is this true for a new save or just your existing ones?
    edited August 2020
    @puzzlezaddict I tried installing new content into my downloads folder (more updated and cleaned w/o my older folder), but, you know. I tried creating a new saved game, then exiting out to install, but again, no luck.

Currently, I can either only play vanilla or my launcher will close and return back to origin (I tried a fresh new folder each error). Can you elaborate on what places are triggering my paths from working? Like, does it have to do with me being an admin or is there a specific folder that has files that're need of deletion? Would screenshots help?
    An access violation is when a program attempts to access a specific memory address in a way that's not allowed, for example reading from a location that was not designated to store data for that program. Windows then detects the violation and shuts down the program.

The issue is in trying to figure out the cause of that violation. It's not Sims 3 itself, unless the install is corrupted, since the game runs well, or well enough, on most systems. Normally, the next places to look would be the libraries that Sims 3 uses, so VC++ 2005 (you reinstalled it already), .NET Framework 3.5, and DirectX 9. But the fact that the game runs fine vanilla makes it less likely that any of those are the issue, or for that matter the driver for your graphics card.

There's still a possibility that the content you're adding to your user data folder is corrupt and causing the issue. If you haven't already, please try downloading a fresh copy of one file and installing it into an otherwise clean folder. If you still can't play, disable any antivirus/firewall you have running and try the same thing. If that doesn't work either, take your computer completely offline and try again. You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cable.

If none of this helps, please create a new admin user account on your computer, and try the same thing in that account. (You can skip right to the step where you play offline.) That's the fastest way to test for permissions issues and other problems with the specific user account.

While testing, it's always a good idea to run Origin and Sims 3 as an admin: right-click on the .exe or a shortcut, select "Run as administrator." At the very least, it won't do any harm.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top