Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rant from a Fan - Should we reconsider buying Eco Lifestyle?

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
Hey guys,

Huge fan of the Sims series here, playing since 2008. I wanted to start this discussion so I can get a few things off my chest. I am not trying to badmouth or sabotage the game in anyway. I simply want to discuss this issue with the community.

My experience with The Sims 4 has not been the best and I've always wanted to voice my opinion in the past, so with the announcement of this pack, I am finally here. After watching the trailer for this pack I was dissapointed. Unlike previous packs that were lacking, the trailers were still great. This trailer though throws a bad light on the pack because of the similarities in features from previous packs (ex. Get to Work, University, Tiny Living, Laundry Day you name it), but also because of the weak new features coming with this.

Aside from the trailer Eco Lifestyle seems to be following the same pattern previous packs have:

- First, it features the same Sims 4 utopian concept we've been getting over and over. It focuses around putting effort into creating a perfect world, cleaning up, using renewable energy sources, recycling and everything else sugar and rainbows. And to everyone out there saying it includes the polluted air, I'll say one thing. The point of the pack is to get rid of pollution so there won't be a lot of focus on the smoke.

- Second, the main features have again no depth. Candlemaking, renewable energies, recycling are all skills or things to do once or twice. In the past we got stuff like these as minor features, now they are marketed as the main features. How many candles are you gonna make, how much trash are you gonna pick up? We need more tools that give us freedom to create our own unique stories (ex. Create a holiday, Create a Club, Run a business). All of these give us a freedom to tell our own stories rather than play in predetermined paths.

- Also focusing more on visuals than gameplay. Needless to say the clothes and worlds always look great in packs but what's the point when you can't interact with your suroundings? As for the clothes, Sims need clothes that match their personalities not the other way around...
Sims can't even drive cars, yet there's pollution?

- Finally, a very high price tag. There are whole games out there that cost 40 dollars, complete games! How do you justify paying 40 dollars just for an expansion pack? The amount of features is nowhere near the amount we used to get in previous installments and even if we get less content, its quality and depth is also lacking.

This is why I think we as consumers should take a moment and rethink buying some of these packs. Like everyone out there I always want to have the latest pack for The Sims 4 but at the same time I realize that by paying more and more money I am hurting the franchise and the game I love. There is no point in complaining about a pack and a game after you have already bought it 'cause at the end of the day if it brings the company money they are not going to change it.

It's okay to be dissatisfied, it's okay to demand more, it's your hard earned money.
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I agree with you about the utopian concept. I really want different, not good stuff in my game. But I don't care if the point of this pack is about cleaning the worlds or not. I do care to know that i have both ways of playing it: cleaning the worlds or making them worse. That's imo the system/tool that makes this pack an ep. But... i still have to see the gameplay video to understand better how things will work...

I think i have payed 40 euros for one ep only and it was the first one... there are several legit sites selling them for way less and there's always the bundle option, where you can get an ep+gp+sp for 47 euros. And i think that that's a good price tag. Even more having the ability to pick which packs you want

So i do agree with you that, for me, 40 for an ep is a bit heavy but there are work arounds. But, most of all, if someone thinks that it is too expensive and not worth it, i honestly think that they shouldn't buy it...
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Thanks for sharing your opinion!
    I hope they went full on utopia vs dystopia but the features seem focused on the "positive" side so I'll guess they won't do much with the smoke.
    Also it's still not very much you get. I don't wanna be the "remember when" guy but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 for 35€ we got a whole city, celebrity systems, vampires, clubs, bars, lounges, mansions, bands, actors and so on just with Sims 3 late night. One pack.
    Same can be said for most packs before Sims 4.

Also the bundle thing I do as well but it's kind of a marketing trick, cause you end up buying gams packs and stuff packs you wouldn't have bought and they make a bunch of money out of that.

The thing is some Sims fans will pay for anything and it's getting really intense. Other gaming communities are laughing at our willingness to pay so much for so little.

I agree with you on the smoke, dystopian theme. I wish they go full out with it. Fingers crossed
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Perhaps reconsider after watching devs play?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    This is something that has been happening a long time now, it's not only about this pack but also about what the Sims is becoming. Could this pack turn out better than the trailer? Sure. Is the problem solved? No ma'am!
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

Also the bundle thing I do as well but it's kind of a marketing trick, cause you end up buying gams packs and stuff packs you wouldn't have bought and they make a bunch of money out of that.

People need to be smart enough to use that marketing move in their favor. Just not buy what they don't want. Wait and make a bundle with packs really wanted.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2020
    I always recommend that if you have doubts about buying a game, dlc or whatever, then you should wait before buying it. Even if you will end up buying it later, you will end up playing or doing something else. And often you will realize that the reason why you wanted to buy the thing in the first place was not really because it was something you wanted, but because it was something new or because you had hoped for something more.

And that is a healthy mindset because you will start to see things from a different perspective.

I think there are people that will buy this pack because they can do things that they like, and that is fine.

But I hope that the people who wants to buy it just because it is something new or was hoping for more will reconsider. And judging from the comments from the trailer, that could be a lot of people this time.

logion wrote: »
    I always recommend that if you have doubts about buying a game, dlc or whatever, then you should wait before buying it. Even if you will end up buying it later, you will end up playing or doing something else. And often you will realize that the reason why you wanted to buy the thing in the first place was not really because it was something you wanted, but because it was something new.

And that is a healthy mindset because you will start to see things from a different perspective.

I think there are people that will buy this pack because they can do things that they like, and that is fine.

But I hope that the people who buy it just because it is something new will reconsider.

The reason I am bringing all of this up is that maybe not buying everything they throw at us (just because we like 1-2 features out of a 40€ pack) would actually push them to do better instead.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    - Finally, a very high price tag. There are whole games out there that cost 40 dollars, complete games! How do you justify paying 40 dollars just for an expansion pack? The amount of features is nowhere near the amount we used to get in previous installments and even if we get less content, its quality and depth is also lacking.

that's what I am thinking every time a new EP comes out...I can buy one full game for that money instead, or even two depending...and I did so multiple times ;)
    The EP prices are way too high for what you actually get, for every EP not just Eco.
    But as long as enough people keep buying them for 40, that won't change.

honestly the candles don't interest me much, it's nice to have another hobby thing but that's all and I guess the fact that they actually burn down provides a reason to keep making new ones...but it's not the most exciting thing.
    I am interested in the techy part of the EP, collecting trash to make usefull things and building machines and stuff.
    Also the new additions to gardening...
    I got both techy sims and gardening sims in my game so I welcome new stuff for them to do...but I just need more info.

The utopia thing....don't get me started, I am so over all those pretty, pictureperfect worlds...we need more dark worlds and BIGGER ones than Forgotten Hollow and also more interactions, like you said, the world can be beautiful but it doesn't help much if there is nothing to do, I could just as well look at a nice painting then.
    Same with the size, so the world is big but it doesn't offer anything more to do, then what is the point?

clothes matching a sims personality? I don't get what you are on about there, I always chose the clothes to match the Sims personality, there are enough styles to go around...
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

edited May 2020
    Thanks for sharing your opinion! I think with the reveal if the gameplay trailer they will show more of the tech turn trash into treasure stuff and that could turn out nice.
    RavenSpit wrote: »

clothes matching a sims personality? I don't get what you are on about there, I always chose the clothes to match the Sims personality, there are enough styles to go around...

Oh sorry what I meant with that was that the Sims lack personality because of the lack of traits, aspirations, wants, memories and so on that the only way you can tell the personality of your sim is by what they are wearing.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member

Oh sorry what I meant with that was that the Sims lack personality because of the lack of traits, aspirations, wants, memories and so on that the only way you can tell the personality of your sim is by what they are wearing.

ah okay, in that case I totally agree with you.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    edited May 2020
    The company has been showing an increasing trend of putting out lower quality incomplete products, yet charging AAA top quality prices.

My confidence is based on what has already been demonstrated, and I simply have no confidence that they are charging a price commensurate with the value they are giving. My confidence in the quality is (based also on previous experience of this company) even less.

I don't realistically consider that they have magically changed overnight, and that this one will somehow be the different one.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    The dystopian world and Sims 4 being mainly indoors only is why I like the pack. I realise even with friends upon learning deeper than face value decides whether I stay friends with them or not. I think that it wouldn't hurt to wait until the livestream and LGR review to decide on themselves whether to buy the pack or not. I do think many people will sign up for giveaways like with all the packs just because the economy is as bad as the depression years. I know with Animal Crossing being outdoors and it selling well with the rags to riches approach, this pack I have a strong feeling will sell well too especially for those that can't afford to buy a Switch but can afford to get this EP for their PCs and Macs and consoles. I guess as with life in everything, don't judge a book by its cover. Really get to know something by their actions and in this case gameplay as with all packs. I do know this pack will have more gameplay than any Sims 4 SP offers. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The only pack I paid full price for in the last two years was Island Living, and is the last time I will pay full price for new dlc. This will continue until the content in these packs improves. I don't hate the content, but it isn't done very well which is why I pay less for it. But I would like to point out something I saw in the reveal trailer no one seems to notice. The candles our Sims make don't last forever. They slowly burn down and need to be replaced at some point. I thought that was a nice touch seeing as it is something that has never been in the game before. This little detail does give me some hope for Eco Lifestyle if someone at EA finally realized a candle isn't a lamp and should not last forever. But, you are right, the little details matter and would make the new packs a lot better. If EA would stop micro-managing the teams, allowing them a bit more creative freedom, then back that up with a larger budget, we might see better content in new packs. The fact we are seeing packs on sale more and more these days, makes me think there are fewer players willing to buy new dlc until it is on sale or can be purchased in a bundle. No doubt EA has seen this trend as well, and will make some adjustments. This would be especially important for EA to do if it has plans to add another two years to the life of Sims4.

The fact EA has made a point of being inclusive of different genders, ethnicities and lifestyles in Sims4, I see Eco Lifestyle as a way to include a very important message for all of us. And may very well mean we will see less of the sunshine and rainbows style of the past, and Sims4 will evolve into a more realistic, and relevant interpretation of the world today as we know it. The emphasis that has been placed on social media in this iteration, is a realistic interpretation of real life today. I get that now. I did not like it at first until I realized it is a huge part of our lives today, and there is no escaping that fact. But we have the option of how much we want to use it in our game. The same goes for Eco Lifestyle. We will have a choice in how much or how little we want to participate in the new features being introduced in that pack.

After twenty years of playing the Sims, I am ready for more content that is new and innovative. The tried and true content we enjoyed in the past was great, and I am happy with the past themes, such as pets and seasons, that are included in Sims4. But I'm ready for new challenges and ideas we have never even thought about before. If there are gameplay features I feel need more depth, I look for gameplay mods to make that happen. Early on in Sims4 it became apparent this would become a thing. And I fought the idea I would need to use mods in order to get the features I wanted in my game. But once I gave in to the idea of using mods, my game has grown into a very enjoyable one, one that is relevant to my gaming style.

I won't pay full price for Eco Lifestyle. Not because I dislike the concepts in the new pack, but because I took a stand after paying full price for Island Living and being disappointed because I basically paid forty dollars for what I considered should have been a game pack. The mod creators are benefitting from this because I have been donating more to that community than I have spent on new packs. And if EA is okay with this, I guess we can look forward to nothing changing as far as what we feel is missing from new dlc.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I think the poor looking trailer is what is triggering the over whelming negative responses the most. Along with a lackluster blog description of the pack doesn't help. Usually, when most of us players are watching the trailers for past game packs, it was met with some skepticism at best. But it's surprising that the trailer for this pack was so bad. Maybe, if they displayed something really new and different in the Eco living trailer like new traits and/or unique activities. Stuff that can't obviously be done in other packs might help. Because thus far, we already have many of the features in this Eco Living pack in other previous packs that have been released. Players should really continue to demand better.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think the poor looking trailer is what is triggering the over whelming negative responses the most. Along with a lackluster blog description of the pack doesn't help. Usually, when most of us players are watching the trailers for past game packs, it was met with some skepticism at best. But it's surprising that the trailer for this pack was so bad. Maybe, if they displayed something really new and different in the Eco living trailer like new traits and/or unique activities. Stuff that can't obviously be done in other packs might help. Because thus far, we already have many of the features in this Eco Living pack in other previous packs that have been released. Players should really continue to demand better.
    I don't know we have had preview trailers before which didn't offer the actual gameplay or features in the Sims 4 before. XD

Like these Bachelor party dances:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxG3HYkoQ-k

The thunder thighs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxyKrKR1fPg

Weirder stories that are so not weird:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjFMj0dvfJ8

When did we ever know a lot about a pack before a livestream? Often I find Simmers are always finding ways to get more hints right before a pack releases and in between pack releases. Honestly I take this trailer over a four hour bore feast review trailer just going over "how cute" every outfit looks with the same reaction each time. Why I like LGR's reviews, they are short and precise and opinions stay the same even after the pack releases. I don't need preview videos fluffed up with squeals every two seconds.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I usually buy everything on Release Day, but this is the first time I'm not sold on an EP. Unless I see something I love in an upcoming video this might be the first one I skip.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
    edited May 2020
    Again thank you all for going so much into detail. This has been very interesting and informative.

Another relevant question I want to ask is: "Don't you feel like the Sims team could do even more with the packs?"
    Listen I don't have anything against Eco Lifestyle as a concept, but think about how many cool things they could do with that.

Same for Island living and other packs. Imagine mermaids with actual powers, or Sims going underwater, or resorts and holiday properties. Imagine City living with an actual urban looking area, being able to do grafitti on the apartments, malls. Or if the things they do were actually executed well, like apartments being more than just normal lots but on a higher level? A flea market with more than chairs? A functioning politics career?

This is why I am reconsidering if I'm going to buy Eco lifestyle. I'm sure I will like one or two things but I want them to do better and since they are not listening maybe low sales are the only way they will listen.
    Post edited by SimmerGeorge on
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Agree on the sugar rainbow utopian worlds. I hope the pollution gameplay is flashed out. Apparently you can live non-eco lifestyle to pollute the world. We will wait and see,
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,381 Member
    I would like to know more about what eco-life style would require on a daily basis from our sims. I don't want all sims to be dumpster diving trash recyclers. Also, what can they actively do to pollute the environment apart from not buying solar panels. Most of the new gameplay like canning, trash collecting, dumpster diving, mending old clothes is something I would describe more as poor living rather than eco-living. Apart from deliberately cultivating trash plants there is no obvious way to pollute the worlds from what I can see.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I totally see where you're coming from OP. There has been a particular pattern with past EPs and I understand your points, i.e. lack of depth, visuals over gameplay etc.

However, I do disagree with you on the utopian concept. From what I understand, it will be the player's choice wether or not the worlds will become a squeaky clean paradise or a garbage filled cesspit. If anything this is the first pack that allows a chance for a dystopian world to form. I understand that it is very focussed on the eco lifestyle and all items are created for the sake of making a world a better place, but the option for dystopia is still there. From what I have read some players are excited by the idea of a trash filled world. It gives us an adversary.

Personally, I think there is so much more to learn about this pack. I think we need to see more gameplay or watch a Guru walk us through the features. There could be something really awesome in there we don't yet know about, something that gives a little depth? Here's hoping. I can understand why much of the community is cynical about it's content though.

I think Eco Lifestyle is a very good and interesting concept. It's the execution that will either make or break this pack. I really hope the gameplay does it justice but we will see.
    giphy.gif
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited May 2020
    @telmarina The problem with the cost of packs is that the packs are the same prize everywhere in the world. In USA 40USD mabye is not that much, or 40EUR for people on Germany. But then there are us from Czechia or elsewhere where 40 euros is a lot of money. Like a lot. It is 1/6 of my monthly apartment rent in the second biggest city.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p

I think Eco Lifestyle is a very good and interesting concept. It's the execution that will either make or break this pack. I really hope the gameplay does it justice but we will see.

I completely agree. I am really hoping the execution will save this pack, but they have not been able to deliver this in any previous packs (exept Seasons, 'cause that was awesome). This new pack was a reason for me to finally talk about this issue and ask everyone what they will do if this pack doesn't deliver. Will we keep blindly buying everything Sims or is it time to finally start being aware, self-reflecting consumers?
    @telmarina The problem with the cost of packs is that the packs are the same prize everywhere in the world. In USA 40USD mabye is not that much, or 40EUR for people on Germany. But then there are us from Czechia or elsewhere where 40 euros is a lot of money. Like a lot. It is 1/6 of my monthly apartment rent in the second biggest city.

Thanks for mentioning that! I live in Germany and 40€ is a lot of money here. You can do so much with it! Also the American dollar is not worth as much as the Euro, that means everyone in Europe is paying slightly more for the packs.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2020
    Hey guys,

[b]Huge fan of the Sims series here, playing since 2008. I wanted to start this discussion so I can get a few things off my chest. I am not trying to badmouth or sabotage the game in anyway. I simply want to discuss this issue with the community. [/b]

My experience with The Sims 4 has not been the best and I've always wanted to voice my opinion in the past, so with the announcement of this pack, I am finally here. After watching the trailer for this pack I was dissapointed. Unlike previous packs that were lacking, the trailers were still great. This trailer though throws a bad light on the pack because of the similarities in features from previous packs (ex. Get to Work, University, Tiny Living, Laundry Day you name it), but also because of the weak new features coming with this.

I have to agree here the trailer definitely didn't wow me when I first saw it. It just came off as really boring. I'm thinking the marketing team just didn't do it justice.

[b]Aside from the trailer Eco Lifestyle seems to be following the same pattern previous packs have:

- First, it features the same Sims 4 utopian concept we've been getting over and over. It focuses around putting effort into creating a perfect world, cleaning up, using renewable energy sources, recycling and everything else sugar and rainbows. And to everyone out there saying it includes the polluted air, I'll say one thing. The point of the pack is to get rid of pollution so there won't be a lot of focus on the smoke.

- Second, the main features have again no depth. Candlemaking, renewable energies, recycling are all skills or things to do once or twice. In the past we got stuff like these as minor features, now they are marketed as the main features. How many candles are you gonna make, how much trash are you gonna pick up? We need more tools that give us freedom to create our own unique stories (ex. Create a holiday, Create a Club, Run a business). All of these give us a freedom to tell our own stories rather than play in predetermined paths.

I have thought about this also. I can't form a true opinion though until we see the official live stream and gameplay trailer. Everything in this game is pretty repetitive. I personally don't like the theme or direction of this pack. What about for people who like to play the bad guy? Evil sims who want to sabatouge the world? Wild stuff for supernaturals?
    When I saw o trailer I was just thinking whaaaaaaaaat? They want my evil crimal mastermind vampire to..... pick up trash? Saving the one one trash pile at a time? And comie together with his fellow community of vampires to..... clean up? 😱

But I really love the world and the other features coming like making clothes and furniture from trash, stuff for living off the grid, flies, dumpsters. Pollution etc. And I plan on doing an apocalyptic story, maybe even rags to riches challenge, and just do my own thing with it.

- Also focusing more on visuals than gameplay. Needless to say the clothes and worlds always look great in packs but what's the point when you can't interact with your suroundings? As for the clothes, Sims need clothes that match their personalities not the other way around...
    Sims can't even drive cars, yet there's pollution?

This is why I think we as consumers should take a moment and rethink buying some of these packs. Like everyone out there I always want to have the latest pack for The Sims 4 but at the same time I realize that by paying more and more money I am hurting the franchise and the game I love. There is no point in complaining about a pack and a game after you have already bought it 'cause at the end of the day if it brings the company money they are not going to change it.

It's okay to be dissatisfied, it's okay to demand more, it's your hard earned money.

True they the packs are not jam packed how they use to be. They are selling less for more BUT, that was 6 years ago and this is the reality of the times we live in. Have to looked at a bag of chips lately? The outside of them are getting smaller and the insides are getting less, but the price is going up. I can sit here and name hundreds of things that are like that. And there is nothing we can do to change it. Some things I choose to no longer buy and some things I do.

I believe the teams gives us as much as they can according to their current budget set by the company. It's out of their hands. A lot of people call EA greedy and money hungry but what company is not these days? The job my sister works for budget cut everyone, yet the workload has increased. She and her coworkers have to do the job of multiple people now but the company has plenty of money.

It's definitely up to the individual of rather they want to spend their hard earned cash on it or not. But from my POV it's worth the money and I never think they are over priced because I have spent literally almost 100 dollars for a night out. The movies, the mall, restaurants etc. Less than 24hr.
    Heck I have even spent 50 dollars for pizza🤭🤭 and how long did that last?
    On the other hand, even the packs I didn't like that much has added something to my game, which has given me probably thousands of hours of fun. I never regretted a purchase.

All in all I totally get where you are coming from 🙂
    Ugh this post did not format the way I intended. I was trying to put my individual answer under each individual paragraph of yours but I'm using my phone. Oh well I think you get the idea 😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2020
    All we've seen is the trailer, which is pretty and sets up the eco theme well, but doesn't exactly give away gameplay features. Once people realised pollution could affect the whole world they lightened up a lot. In the circumstances can you blame the Devs for saying that your life will be improved with an eco lifestyle?

While pollution obviously has a visual impact I can't help but feel like there will be much more than that to it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.