Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is It Bad For The Sims 4 To Be Realistic?

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    Sims 4? Realistic? Not enough. Not even remotely. To make the game even begin approaching realism, one needs mods and a lot of them. I mean - alcohol? substances? lovemaking (No, not woohoo)? And lets not forget more realistic aspects of life that I'm pretty sure very few people actually want, like crippled sims (not offence intended to anyone), children's lives ending, incurable disease. List goes on. And yes, I do use mods that add realist. Trust me - problems with alcohol are not fun in both reality and modded Sims 4. Just saying.

Sims 4 is a bit more realistic, it's true. But not even remotely realistic. Want realism? How about your favorite sim getting hit by a car and ending up in a wheelchair for life? That would be realistic. Again, no offence to anyone intended. Heck, the base game doesn't have that time of the month! Tell me, ladies - it something so realistic fun?

My point being - Sims 4 is exactly what it needs to be. It just takes itself just a tad more seriously. Not trying to convince anyone, but pointing out the lack of realist in the game.
    That is all.

I don't think taking things to that extreme is even remotely necessary. In fact, that level of realism in a video game isn't asked for. Having burglars, cars, doorbells, having to actually buy ingredients at a grocery store or clothing like in TS2, having non object babies that can be moved about, turn ons and offs and chemistry, sims actually disliking each other instead of chatting happily even though they fought two minutes ago, etc, would go a long way.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    I just want the ability to customize, a checkbox in the options menu to turn supernatural on and off much like fame with the spotlight box.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I prerfer realism and could care less about fantasy have avoided it in every Sims game but to me Sims 4 has lost its humor because the Sims are all like robots who share the same personality with limited animations and react to nothing and for me that is the biggest issue.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2020
    I have both supernatural packs, and Strangerville. Heck, I turned Granite Falls into a Friday 13th horror movie set. If I wanted realism I'd buy and run the resturaunt I built.

I do badly want burgulars though.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    @Sigzy05 Most of that stuff is already added with certain mods and it is very exciting, but can be a huge problem too. Simmers want excitement, not fun. Color me weird, but I don't see how a burglar stealing your brand new computer that you've just bought is fun.

I know that I'm being extreme and providing examples that not many people would want in their game, but it illustrates the point very well. People want excitement. Like burglars. I've recently had a n experience with an animal neglect by NPC family. The mutt vomited on the floor for 23 times, passing out between each action of vomiting. The whole floor was covered in the stuff. Then it died. Exciting? Yes. Fun? Not even remotely. And no - I'm no making this up.

So no, perhaps some gamers will find this kind of realism unnecessary, but Sims IS a life simulator. Life can be very exciting and not even remotely fun. So what exactly do people want?

Enough of this. We're beginning to argue and I'm sure we have better stuff to do with our time. I've made my point.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm more of a realistic player and I like a "choose your own adventure" approach. I just don't want supernatural stuff forced on me. I do not mind supernatural content for others but it's a shared game.

I actually think the game is sometimes childish or silly rather than realistic, but I do enjoy the more realistic gameplay. I don't know, I like being able to play with my own characters and then to figure out what happens to them. In my case, I tend to have plots based in some kind of realistic explanation or gameplay focus.

Eh, they entertain me. I also like the challenge of juggling the various needs. I don't think we all need to play in the same way though. The eco gameplay surprised me as being more my style. I like logical explanations and to develop my characters based on seeing how things play out in the game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    edited May 2020
    How about that Sims 4 is more serious in comparison to the past predecessors and a lot of the humor is lost? Humor lost, more mundane, feels too easy = less enjoyable. I'm not saying I don't like the Sims 4, it just isn't as enjoyable as past games.

Why does it need more packs to feel "complete" and fun when past games could do it for less? My concern is that Sims 4 will end up a bloated mess with all these packs and will end up choosing which packs we want active like the Sims 3. We're nearly at 50GB; the size of an MMO.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    It is not bad to some realistic options in the Sims series but not too realistic as the Sims was initially not meant to be realistic as the Sims was meant to mimic RL but in an parodic way. Another thing I do not look at Sims 4 as realistic as it has fantasy, sci fiction elements and that was part of the sims series since Sims 1.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I prefer having a mix of both realism and fantasy in my games. o:)

I like that as well but not overly realism elements.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2020
    I feel like the sims 4 is just as realistic as past iterations, I like how they have stuff for people who want realistic gameplay and people who don't. I don't get people who moan about vampires and wizards not being realistic, just don't buy them if you don't want them in your game? Simple as, no need to rain on other peoples parades. Everyone has different tastes and I love how the sims always caters for that. I just hope they get a move on with the occults though I'm bored of waiting for fairies its already been 3 years since vampires
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don't see TS4 as realistic as much as the older games. For instance it's hardly realistic to be able to drag trash to the can and the Sim never have to pick it up. The TS4 takes many liberities with watered down gameplay. It's hardly realistic for a Sim to need meds and the player just click on the pc and viola a magic liquid bottle appears in the Sim's inventory. Or the baby in game is an object and can be actually placed in family inventory. :o

I'm thinking other people's ideas of reality are much different than mine.

Does it try to include every type person on earth, sure but only in dress and label. Not in action, interest, and or interaction or traditions.
    A bit much for me to buy into since none are different than any other. The 'culture' reality is sadly just a farce and dressup isn't my idea of reality. For instance if something wasn't my tradition and or not something I would do in my life depending on my culture and or my traditions and or my people, then why isn't this so for the Sim in the game. A headress or outfit doesn't make these Sims any different than what is in the base. Some Sims should refuse some things in my opinion. Diversity in the game is far from 'reality'. It's just a label. IL attempted this I guess, but failed miserably at it.

The lack of reality shows in the lack of cars to pick up a Sim for a carpool, am I expected to believe these Sims walk to the job out in the desert? Or the kid that has to go to school walks ten miles (my parents did) with no bus to pick them up?

Or when going to that vacation destination they don't have to board a plane? See, I don't see much of any representation of reality in TS4 least of all.

Food is magically filled in a fridge that never runs out. Hardly possible is it? Someone should have to go to a grocery store or call Amazon and load up on some food. But who is going to deliver it? Since there aren't any delivery trucks in the game. Only some parked sometimes in CL spice district.

Kids..don't even get me started. Kids in TS4 prefer to sit around and talk to adults. As if adults can talk to kids about anything and eveything in reality. Should they? Should total strangers visiting talk to the kids in TS4 about woohoo? I think not, lol. Instead of that kid saying they are bored to tears they seem quite happy to be sitting around with parents discussing who knows what. Is that actually reality? Maybe parents should make kids get outside and do something rather than easedrop on adult conversations. In my day we were asked to go outside. lol See, I don't see any reality in TS4 at all. I don't see nor can I believe all Sims in TS4 can hug all the kids and get no bad reaction. Even if they hate kids... Kids in TS4 never ever complain to player they don't have enough gadets or TVs and or things to do...because they prefer to sit around and talk to adults and be little mini me.

Evil Sims who roll they want to be friends with a Sim they just can't stand...who never do anything bad...unless you push them to do something bad, but it won't matter because they will soon leave the dinner table to go hug that Sim or any Sim in the room. That's hardly 'evil'. It could be some diabolical plan but it never is.

It always amuses me others see TS4 as more in tune with reality and might complain about vampires and or aliens, lol, but ignore the obvivous.
    The things I stated are just a teeny example of the lack of reality in TS4. And who ever gets up and the bed is magically madeup already? I wish that were true.

And Maxis expects me to believe no one ever takes a baby out of the house. But leaves it in a crib all it's life until it ages into a toddler. That a social worker is a bright beam that I never see. That neighborhoods are so perfect they never experience any crime or the fires so small they will never need the fire dept. That death is really a fun guy who enjoys drinking and dancing with my Sims and not interested in gathering more souls.

That everyone somehow got a cellphone and didn't have to buy it. Where does that happen, I just wake up and one is in my pocket? Or those phones never fail, break or become obselete.

Or that if I haven't signed up for something on my phone I can magically get invites from total strangers. LOL I hope not.

I think you guys get my points but I have a zillion more of why TS4 is the least realistic game ever.

A few more. Shopping...what is the point? Free clothes at home, free food at home, free books at home, player opens buymode and fills home with clutter. There is nothing they buy that the player can't buy out of buymode or do at a home lot. Even TS1 understood, if you want a poster, or a particular object or special clothes you have to get off your duff and go to a store. Or sell your veggies you had to go to the farmers' market. I guess TS4 could do this online all the time, but what's the fun it that, click, done.

Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Why can't we choose what we want it to be? Not everyone wants whacky fantasy. Whacky gets old after you've seen a hundred times.
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don't see TS4 as realistic as much as the older games. For instance it's hardly realistic to be able to drag trash to the can and the Sim never have to pick it up. The TS4 takes many liberities with watered down gameplay. It's hardly realistic for a Sim to need meds and the player just click on the pc and viola a magic liquid bottle appears in the Sim's inventory. Or the baby in game is an object and can be actually placed in family inventory. :o

I'm thinking other people's ideas of reality are much different than mine.

Does it try to include every type person on earth, sure but only in dress and label. Not in action, interest, and or interaction or traditions.
    A bit much for me to buy into since none are different than any other. The 'culture' reality is sadly just a farce and dressup isn't my idea of reality. For instance if something wasn't my tradition and or not something I would do in my life depending on my culture and or my traditions and or my people, then why isn't this so for the Sim in the game. A headress or outfit doesn't make these Sims any different than what is in the base. Some Sims should refuse some things in my opinion. Diversity in the game is far from 'reality'. It's just a label. IL attempted this I guess, but failed miserably at it.

The lack of reality shows in the lack of cars to pick up a Sim for a carpool, am I expected to believe these Sims walk to the job out in the desert? Or the kid that has to go to school walks ten miles (my parents did) with no bus to pick them up?

Or when going to that vacation destination they don't have to board a plane? See, I don't see much of any representation of reality in TS4 least of all.

Food is magically filled in a fridge that never runs out. Hardly possible is it? Someone should have to go to a grocery store or call Amazon and load up on some food. But who is going to deliver it? Since there aren't any delivery trucks in the game. Only some parked sometimes in CL spice district.

Kids..don't even get me started. Kids in TS4 prefer to sit around and talk to adults. As if adults can talk to kids about anything and eveything in reality. Should they? Should total strangers visiting talk to the kids in TS4 about woohoo? I think not, lol. Instead of that kid saying they are bored to tears they seem quite happy to be sitting around with parents discussing who knows what. Is that actually reality? Maybe parents should make kids get outside and do something rather than easedrop on adult conversations. In my day we were asked to go outside. lol See, I don't see any reality in TS4 at all. I don't see nor can I believe all Sims in TS4 can hug all the kids and get no bad reaction. Even if they hate kids... Kids in TS4 never ever complain to player they don't have enough gadets or TVs and or things to do...because they prefer to sit around and talk to adults and be little mini me.

Evil Sims who roll they want to be friends with a Sim they just can't stand...who never do anything bad...unless you push them to do something bad, but it won't matter because they will soon leave the dinner table to go hug that Sim or any Sim in the room. That's hardly 'evil'. It could be some diabolical plan but it never is.

It always amuses me others see TS4 as more in tune with reality and might complain about vampires and or aliens, lol, but ignore the obvivous.
    The things I stated are just a teeny example of the lack of reality in TS4. And who ever gets up and the bed is magically madeup already? I wish that were true.

And Maxis expects me to believe no one ever takes a baby out of the house. But leaves it in a crib all it's life until it ages into a toddler. That a social worker is a bright beam that I never see. That neighborhoods are so perfect they never experience any crime or the fires so small they will never need the fire dept. That death is really a fun guy who enjoys drinking and dancing with my Sims and not interested in gathering more souls.

That everyone somehow got a cellphone and didn't have to buy it. Where does that happen, I just wake up and one is in my pocket? Or those phones never fail, break or become obselete.

Or that if I haven't signed up for something on my phone I can magically get invites from total strangers. LOL I hope not.

I think you guys get my points but I have a zillion more of why TS4 is the least realistic game ever.

A few more. Shopping...what is the point? Free clothes at home, free food at home, free books at home, player opens buymode and fills home with clutter. There is nothing they buy that the player can't buy out of buymode or do at a home lot. Even TS1 understood, if you want a poster, or a particular object or special clothes you have to get off your duff and go to a store. Or sell your veggies you had to go to the farmers' market. I guess TS4 could do this online all the time, but what's the fun it that, click, done.

Exactly. Like, what realism? It's a genuine question. To me the LACK of realism in TS4 is what makes it much, much less interesting than past games.

Like, in real life, do you see someone cheat on you, and then laugh at their jokes and "woohoo" with them that same night? Are you attracted to absolutely everyone you see at exactly the same level? Does your relative die, and you cry for two minutes but then forget they existed? Do you have zero character flaws that a "HAPPY" emotion caused by eating a sandwich cannot override? Do you have limitless supplies, an endless wardrobe, and zero financial concerns? Is everyone you meet basically a clone of an easygoing extrovert?

Yeah, me neither.
  • rubytinkerrubytinker Posts: 48 Member
    I like the sims to look and respond to their environment is realistic ways, but love the fantasy aspects incorporated into that. The first time I actually saw a sims vampire I was so impressed at the level of realism within something so much fun and fantasy.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I love realism as long as it reflects life in the different stages...there's a mod called Slice of Life that includes many of the "realistic" aspects of life. But, my most favorite packs being supernatural is my way of playing the fantasy part of life. I real a lot of the contemperary urban fantasy genre and I can almost believe that a supernatural community is living right next to a normal one. I love that story idea. <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    edited May 2020
    @Sigzy05 Most of that stuff is already added with certain mods and it is very exciting, but can be a huge problem too. Simmers want excitement, not fun. Color me weird, but I don't see how a burglar stealing your brand new computer that you've just bought is fun.

I know that I'm being extreme and providing examples that not many people would want in their game, but it illustrates the point very well. People want excitement. Like burglars. I've recently had a n experience with an animal neglect by NPC family. The mutt vomited on the floor for 23 times, passing out between each action of vomiting. The whole floor was covered in the stuff. Then it died. Exciting? Yes. Fun? Not even remotely. And no - I'm no making this up.

So no, perhaps some gamers will find this kind of realism unnecessary, but Sims IS a life simulator. Life can be very exciting and not even remotely fun. So what exactly do people want?

Enough of this. We're beginning to argue and I'm sure we have better stuff to do with our time. I've made my point.

I don't want to rely on mods for gameplay. And excitement, is fun, no? Not sure what you're trying to say, not to mention that burglars are realistic, unfortunately. But they've been a staple in the series and we do need more exiting stuff happening.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I play as realistically as possible. That's why I don't have vampires, Get Famous, Island Living and other packs. I'm happy.
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I play as realistically as possible. That's why I don't have vampires, Get Famous, Island Living and other packs. I'm happy.

But both of those are pretty realistic though? Is it because of the mermaids in IL? Because you won't see them unless you have a mermaid sim on your household or when you befriend one and have them show you their tail.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited May 2020
    There is nothing realistic if all sims have to do to change clothes is by spinning.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    In order to turn the Sims 4 into a realistic life game the game developers would have to get rid of the following:
    Ghosts
    Grim Reaper
    Plantsim
    Aliens
    Vampires
    Spellcasters
    Mermaids
    All the hidden worlds
    Potions
    Space Travel
    Motherplant
    Cloning
    Servo
    Strange fruit

Basically make the game boring & not fun.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited May 2020
    rubytinker wrote: »
    I like the sims to look and respond to their environment is realistic ways, but love the fantasy aspects incorporated into that. The first time I actually saw a sims vampire I was so impressed at the level of realism within something so much fun and fantasy.

Exactly. It all depends on what you mean by realism. No mermaids or just a shower not taking two hours out of the sim-day?

If we're not making distinctions, I think more realism in some areas can make it more fun and ruin it in others.

Having lasting negative consequences and sims not being happy by default is both more realistic and more fun.

And a life without supernatural elements and light-years-away technology? That's just Tuesday. I don't want it to be Tuesday every day. (But that's why those are Game Packs, so they're not forced on people who hate fantasy and sci-fi.)

I also don't think it needs to be taken in a dark direction to be fun. It can remain goofy and add a little more challenge.

I LOVE the sims' cartoonish appearance (the more realistic sims I've seen made with mods honestly freak me out) and I don't think adding prosthetics would be in conflict with that. (People do want to see themselves represented in games because they're also a way to put yourself in unlikely or impossible situations for fun. Sims having a disability would not in any way be a bad, tragic thing. Just a way for more people to be a part of the game.)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Sims 4? Realistic? Not enough. Not even remotely. To make the game even begin approaching realism, one needs mods and a lot of them. I mean - alcohol? substances? lovemaking (No, not woohoo)? And lets not forget more realistic aspects of life that I'm pretty sure very few people actually want, like crippled sims (not offence intended to anyone), children's lives ending, incurable disease. List goes on. And yes, I do use mods that add realist. Trust me - problems with alcohol are not fun in both reality and modded Sims 4. Just saying.

Sims 4 is a bit more realistic, it's true. But not even remotely realistic. Want realism? How about your favorite sim getting hit by a car and ending up in a wheelchair for life? That would be realistic. Again, no offence to anyone intended. Heck, the base game doesn't have that time of the month! Tell me, ladies - it something so realistic fun?

My point being - Sims 4 is exactly what it needs to be. It just takes itself just a tad more seriously. Not trying to convince anyone, but pointing out the lack of realist in the game.
    That is all.

I don't think taking things to that extreme is even remotely necessary. In fact, that level of realism in a video game isn't asked for. Having burglars, cars, doorbells, having to actually buy ingredients at a grocery store or clothing like in TS2, having non object babies that can be moved about, turn ons and offs and chemistry, sims actually disliking each other instead of chatting happily even though they fought two minutes ago, etc, would go a long way.

Agreed
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited May 2020
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Why can't we choose what we want it to be? Not everyone wants whacky fantasy. Whacky gets old after you've seen a hundred times.
    Realism got old before I fired up the game ;)

I agree that balance and choice are the keys - then each can decide for themselves what their game should reflect. It's always wrong to try and force one's own ideals onto others.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    calaprfy wrote: »

But both of those are pretty realistic though? Is it because of the mermaids in IL? Because you won't see them unless you have a mermaid sim on your household or when you befriend one and have them show you their tail.

I agree with Sigzy05, Island living can be a lush, tropical island location, swimming and some water related activities. You only see mermaids if you go looking for them. Plus that pack also has an active environmentalist career and a lifeguard rabbithole career.

As far as Get Famous is concerned, the active movie acting career is the main draw for me. And although it's a minus, the ubiquitous ANNOYING celebrities are quite realistic ;) .
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    I would never want Sims 4 to be realistic. I play it because I want to have a break from my real life stress, I don't want the same kind of life for my Sims.
    I love all the wacky and crazy things in this game, I'd be bored otherwise.