Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My roommate is an annoying ***

I have two roommates; one female and one male. The female roommate is fantastic. Nice, clean, quiet, helps with gardening, etc. The male roommate is awful though. He‘s constantly complaining that the living conditions are bad, that he can‘t fulfill his needs and threatens to move out if I don‘t improve the living conditions but he won‘t tell me what exactly the problem is. He puts dirty laundry in the dryer and throws the lousiest parties (he sleeps while his guests are in the kitchen doing nothing) but has the nerves to complain. I tested his room and everything is accessible. I bought an easel, a violin, and some other things but instead of thanking me he moved out. I invited him over, asked him to be my roommate again (I need him for a storyline), he accepted and this time I had him switch rooms with the female roommate but the same thing happend: she is fantastic as always and he an annoying little witch and moved out again. What is his problem? What should I do?

My roommate is an annoying *** 56 votes

Drown him in the pool
30%
jeepjeepcatCamkatStrangerthanaaronrulzelanorbretonfoxybillyLindsaySeddon1AngelEb95QuillWriterSimTrippyOEII1001phoenixstar188xstxrrysequenceCelSimsDiNozzoCatzillaTheFlyingGentleman 17 votes
Lock him up in the basement
57%
crocobauraIAMTHYANNAMeteoraStormZorgamercuryfoamJestTruslamondaFairyGodMotherKaeChan2089AquariusMomtaydevbixtersParmaViolet87texxx78joleacoEnkiSchmidtpoliceofficerswifeMDianaSimsRedShoe7Evilyn_1007 32 votes
He‘s just misunderstood
12%
robyngravesJon the WizardColton147147HopeyStarrEnnaelsinrarottmeister 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    You could decorate the basement to his standards.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    It's something of a bug. The AI won't always fufill enough of the roommate's needs, even though they have access to everything they need. I either let them move out or else cheat to reset their needs. (Freezing need decay doesn't seem to work reliably for me.)

I don't have the requisite tools to test it, but it may be related to certain hidden roommate traits.
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Lock him in the basement with his easel and make him paint to make you money :naughty:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2020
    Wait one of your roommates are working? I have the same problem 😔 I can’t keep any.
  • Options
    mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited May 2020
    I never had this bug. Got a passive aggressive note once. Said roommate died from embarrassment before she got to move out.

(Other roommates were occupying the bathroom. She walked in on them and got the embarassed moodlet, then peed herself and got mortified, then had an embarassing conversation topic and died.) :expressionless:

I agree, make him your painting slave. My results are not showing for some reason. Lock him up in the basement!
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Why no option to just kick them out? Which is what I'd do.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Lock him in the basement with his easel and make him paint to make you money :naughty:

Would probably not do it myself, but if I did....this, absolutely. Oh and for every masterpiece, he gets a reward. A sink, mini fridge, toilet...Treat him right, keep him longer. Profit.
  • Options
    rottmeisterrottmeister Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2020
    He‘s just misunderstood
    If you need him for storyline purposes would it be worth it maybe adding him into the household for the duration you need him?

I had something similar happen. But it was with the husband of a sim of mine. The household was pretty big already so I didn't feel like adding him into the mix, so I made him a roommate.

That was a mistake...

You know, for a nerdy dad, he sure does party and complain a lot...
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Are they sleeping in the same room? You should post a pic of his space.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I recently had my evil sim move in with some random, weird looking townie. I had my sim lock the random townie outside of the house for 3 days until she starved to death. And then, when the townie was dying, my sim came outside and burst out laughing at her death. I was very entertained. So my vote goes for locking her in the basement.

There are also "certain" mods that make deaths very very entertaining lol....
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited May 2020
    Feed him poorly prepared pufferfish
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I recently had my evil sim move in with some random, weird looking townie. I had my sim lock the random townie outside of the house for 3 days until she starved to death. And then, when the townie was dying, my sim came outside and burst out laughing at her death. I was very entertained. So my vote goes for locking her in the basement.

There are also "certain" mods that make deaths very very entertaining lol....
    I agree
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Drown him in the pool
    Maybe combine all three: drown this misunderstood whiny little ***** in the locked basement pool :D
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Are they sleeping in the same room? You should post a pic of his space.
    No, everyone has their separate room. He even had his own floor with a little bathroom and mini kitchen. When he moved out and moved back again, I had him switch rooms with my other roommate that was sharing the middle floor with my sim but he was still the only one complaining. I‘m not a screenshot person and don‘t have a screenshot of the bedrooms. I can only offer an old screenshot of the house before decorating the outside (we have a pool/bar/bbq area now). The top floor was all his during contract #1. He moved down and my other roommate moved up during contract #2.
    oT9GOfx.jpg

The one stuck under the stairs is his girlfriend btw (yes, she died and no, I had nothing to do with it).
    ELpL3o8.jpg

My other roommate is great. Whenever my sim is working in her basement garden she comes to help. There is always fresh, excellent produce in the fridge but my annoying roommate never appreciates anything. I‘m so mad at him for ruining my story.
    aFt8WRx.jpg

I locked him up in the top floor and deleted all furniture btw. I didn’t want to constantly see him when my sim works in her basement garden. It’s her happy place. I‘m not sure what to do with him though. Sims can’t sell the paintings of roommates, right? It‘s so sad because this sim of mine is actually a good one, donates to charity, etc. I wish he was my evil junkie‘s roommate.

drakharis wrote: »
    Feed him poorly prepared pufferfish
    My sim is level 10 at cooking and gourmet cooking so no chance, unfortunately. She makes her roommates breakfast, lunch and dinner btw. He‘s so unthankful I just can‘t.
  • Options
    Maybe he needs a higher environment score on his apartment? Why is he putting dirty laundry in the dryer, doesn't he have access to a hamper?
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    I forgot to vote :s

See post below ;)

• Options
    He probably doesn't like climbing the stairs? Even if they have their own space/room, they still want to go to every room/spot in the dorm.

My sim would always take an Easel and put in inventory before going to DU. She plops it out in her dorm and others will paint. I am allowed to sell it and it does help fame. So I don't know why you can't sell it, unless it is unfinished (then you can scrap it).

I always have 2-3 roommates who always mope around like they are so sad. I don't pay attention to them, if they move out...let them move out. My sim doesn't dare repair, pick up trash, or clean up spoiled food. If they do.....they will always be expected too :D

Lock him up in the basement!
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Maybe he needs a higher environment score on his apartment? Why is he putting dirty laundry in the dryer, doesn't he have access to a hamper?

Oh, good catch! That would make anyone uncomfortable :D Lets hope there is a washing machine on the lot?
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    It's something of a bug. The AI won't always fufill enough of the roommate's needs, even though they have access to everything they need. I either let them move out or else cheat to reset their needs. (Freezing need decay doesn't seem to work reliably for me.)

I don't have the requisite tools to test it, but it may be related to certain hidden roommate traits.
    This makes sense actually.
    Wait one of your roommates are working? I have the same problem 😔 I can’t keep any.
    My sim is a self employed gardener, my male roommate is a vendor and my female roommate is a DJ or mixer (something hip like that). I never see them leave for work though.
    If you need him for storyline purposes would it be worth it maybe adding him into the household for the duration you need him?

I had something similar happen. But it was with the husband of a sim of mine. The household was pretty big already so I didn't feel like adding him into the mix, so I made him a roommate.

That was a mistake...

You know, for a nerdy dad, he sure does party and complain a lot...
    No, I hate him :s I don‘t want to see his face constantly on the ui.
    He takes the clothes from the hamper and puts them in the dryer. I have no idea why. I‘m obsessed with posters, plants, etc. so I don‘t think it‘s the environment score. I hope they patch in better complaints.
  • Options
    He takes the clothes from the hamper and puts them in the dryer. I have no idea why. I‘m obsessed with posters, plants, etc. so I don‘t think it‘s the environment score. I hope they patch in better complaints.

You could try getting him a better quality double bed. As he sleeps during his parties, maybe he is tired.
  • Options

You could try getting him a better quality double bed. As he sleeps during his parties, maybe he is tired.
    It‘s worth a try.
  • Options
    Since his girlfriend died under the stairs, he will be sad for quite a while!

Since you removed his furniture from his room, place a bunch of easels in there and let him paint till he dies :/

I know I wanted to get rid of a few of my roommates, seems you could click on them and dismiss them, but couldn't find that. There has to be a way to dismiss them, if anyone knows, I am interested!
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited May 2020
    Drown him in the pool
    I mean, there's only one Sims answer to this problem. Well, I should say unless you're willing to put up with some collateral property damage and send him out with a bang.
  • Options
    He probably doesn't like climbing the stairs? Even if they have their own space/room, they still want to go to every room/spot in the dorm.

My sim would always take an Easel and put in inventory before going to DU. She plops it out in her dorm and others will paint. I am allowed to sell it and it does help fame. So I don't know why you can't sell it, unless it is unfinished (then you can scrap it).

I always have 2-3 roommates who always mope around like they are so sad. I don't pay attention to them, if they move out...let them move out. My sim doesn't dare repair, pick up trash, or clean up spoiled food. If they do.....they will always be expected too :D

Lock him up in the basement!
    Do you mean because the stairs are outside and he becomes uncomfortable when he has to go outside during rain, snow, etc. to enter the main house? This was my idea too and that‘s why I had him move into the main house and gave my other roommate the little apartment. It didn‘t help though.

I didn‘t try to sell paintings of roommates yet. I just know that in an old save I wanted to create a slave painter dungeon so I invited people over, locked them in the basement and had them paint but I wasn‘t able to sell their paintings. I had to add them to my household first. I assumed roommates work the same way.

Oh, good catch! That would make anyone uncomfortable :D Lets hope there is a washing machine on the lot?
    Yes, there is a washing machine on the lot. I still remember how surprised I was when he put folded laundry on the coffee table because he would never help in the household. I thanked him and put the laundry away and then my sim got a negative moodlet about dirty clothes. I watched him closely the next time he did laundry and that‘s when I saw that he put the dirty laundry directly in the dryer. So nasty. Then he put it on the coffee table again and I hovered with my mouse over it and it said used and dry.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Was there clothes already in the washing machine from someone else? Did you clean the dryer vent? There is a dresser in the house, right? Since he doesn't help around the house, I wonder if he is a slob?

My sim hurries up and gets her charisma to level 2 so she can brighten someones day :/ Maybe you can "try to cheer up" if its an option, then "brighten day" and then "tell a joke". Thats what my sims do to get someone in a happy mood. I quit doing that though, because it draws every person who has a sad, tense, embarrassed mood to my sim just so she can brighten their day >:) That gets old though :#

I just thought the stairs might tire him out, especially if they are already tired. But if it rains/storms a lot there, then that makes them tense. I wonder what his moods show when you talk to him?

I am curious though. I would decorate his room again, be looking around for any trash (which maybe he has some in his inventory), dishes that are hidden on shelves up high etc. Make sure there is a coffee table in the LR so when he throws a party, he can put food on it? Make sure he has a personal desk and dresser in his room (they love to throw their own stuff on those). I would grab his clothes and wash them for him (may get a note about "don't touch my stuff"). As far as used clothes goes, they need checked before putting in dryer (sometimes requires 2 washes), but if he put them straight in the dryer, I wonder if that is a bug? (I haven't used the washer/dryer in a while).