Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Do You Like Your Houses?

13...Next

Comments

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It depends
    Simburian wrote: »
    Honestly, I am a minimalist. So I look for and make houses that take minimal effort.

Did you play "The Sims" as I did. Sometimes no building and just a tent and a toilet/shower!

Done too many rags to riches, so I even started out with nothing and cheated the money down to zero.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited May 2020
    Fully furnished and decorated
    Since I've mostly done my own builds from scratch or modifying an existing one from vanilla, I am more interested in an "overdone" creative house than an "under-done" one, or a shell. However it depends, of course.
    My point is that it's much easier to delete stuff that's over-done than modify. Simple.
    I've learned alot from downloading people's builds. I appreciate the work and creativity people put in.
    For something that can instantly be plopped down, then the bear necessities functional and play-tested (and nice looking) is a good thing.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Other (please comment)
    I make my own. I want my whole game to be my creations. It's taking a while and I've had to do fill ins, but they will be gone as I complete this.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Other (please comment)
    Simburian wrote: »
    Honestly, I am a minimalist. So I look for and make houses that take minimal effort.

Did you play "The Sims" as I did. Sometimes no building and just a tent and a toilet/shower!

Done too many rags to riches, so I even started out with nothing and cheated the money down to zero.

In that first iteration we got the tip that having almost nothing was the best way of getting richer fast! I've always used that advice in the others. It really is seen best in Sims 4 when if you give the Sim a luxury they tend to waste all their time using or admiring it, playing video games on the PC or trying to kill themselves with a barbecue instead of using the fridge/cooker.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I am always downloading smaller houses for multiple Sims, mid-century modern in design, fully furnished but not excessively MOO-cluttered, with lots of greenery, and brightly or naturally colored. No grey MOO-littered McMansions for me! :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,487 Member
    It depends
    Every now and again when I need a new house, I'll scroll through the Gallery. I've downloaded a few here and there but in trying to play them I'm often discouraged because of how squishy they are. I like to get the camera in so that it's an up close and personal view. Putting walls up to get a good photo is also problematic because then the rooms are so small you can't get the angle for the shot, when you find yourself drawing the camera back and you're looking at the other side of the wall or worse, you're looking at the outside of the house! I tend to build Mega-Homes. LOL Too large for the taste of most players, on the whole. And to be honest some of my homes placed into the game are just entirely too gigantic to even fit the look of the neighborhood.

Regardless, I will change out the decor to suit the family, even if it's gradual. I do insist in furnished for the plumbing alone. Sometimes with an empty house, it's hard to distinguish which room is the kitchen, and just where a bathroom(s) was meant to be in the floor plan. I did have some fun when I came across a lot that was really mostly an empty shell. Kind of the best of both worlds. I was on the tired side and building one from scratch exacerbated my already weary self. I did finish it and played in it for a time, but to be honest I grew bored with the floor plan. :'(

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    Other (please comment)
    One story houses. I like everything on one floor :)
    Doesn't matter if its a shell, furnished or unfurnished either.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I'd like to have the option to keep or delete the furniture, so fully furnished and decorated works for me. The more MOO the better in my opinion.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Amber_10Amber_10 Posts: 7 New Member
    Just the neccessities
    I like it to be move-in ready with the kitchen, bathroom, and some outdoor trees and plants!
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @FairyGodMother Your dog in your avatar is adorable! <3
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Other (please comment)
    @FairyGodMother Your dog in your avatar is adorable! <3

Thank you, she is a handful! Very smart and she has soooo much energy <3
  • LysiannasSimLifeLysiannasSimLife Posts: 21 Member
    I voted for fully furnished and decorated because when I download a build I want to get the whole vibe of this creation. It is like diving into a story. On a rare occasion, I like a non-furnished build to do a fixer-upper or I download a shell challenge but these are the only exceptions.
    Gallery ID: LysiannasSimLife
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Typically fully furnished and decorated, however I am a bit picky with too much clutter so sometimes I'll have to remove some if it's just everywhere.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • RedattacusRedattacus Posts: 26 Member
    It depends
    Depends. Sometimes I download to get a closer look at something I wish I'd built :D If I want a house for a game then I want it to be fairly unclutterd but not necessarily empty because even if I plan to place it unfurnished it's nice to see how things might go. A good basic shell is very important, but what I really appreciate is a decent bit of unfussy landscaping, because I absolutely hate doing that part myself. (Another thing I hate doing myself is selecting and matching windows--I am laughably bad at it.)
    Gallery ID: redattacus ; Simblog: Simavia Heir Lines
  • BrianZBrianZ Posts: 12 New Member
    Furnished but not too decorated
    I've downloaded some fully decorated homes, and they look fantastic, but... they don't play as good as they look. You've left me no room to put anything else in here, and almost always weird, hard to add on angled rooms and complicated roofs.
  • JeemJeem Posts: 5 New Member
    It depends
    It depends on who live at that house. I play about 40 sims and their house tell their personality
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Other (please comment)
    I like both, kinda. My decorating love comes and goes. Ideal house for build or DL. One story. Open floorplan for the dining, kitchen, living. A porch and a lovely pool area. At least 2 bedrooms, but ideally 3. Furniture only, but I do like some decor. If a house is very decorated/cluttered it seems to ruin the flow and there are more chances for lag. I can always redecorate rooms if I need to. I prefer no nursery or kid rooms because I like to decorate those myself. I love to have a 'garage' or separate area from the house for random storage room, laundry room, exercise room... etc.

I'm not too specific! LOL
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • LumikkaLumikka Posts: 25 Member
    It depends
    I love with what builders come up with, but I always change a lot so it suits my sims better.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2020
    Other (please comment)
    Absolutely huge, with room for everybody. I often build five-story houses with towers. And at least one basement. I'm not gonna build anything particuarly new until Eco-Living comes out though, when I'll have ladders (and who knows what else) to work with.

Can't wait for that sliding door to open onto my future garden!

I start with the basics like your kitchen, bedroom and living room, and then decorate once people have moved in.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • RavennaRavenna Posts: 58 Member
    Furnished but not too decorated
    I prefer houses I download to at least be decorated a little bit, because usually if I'm downloading a home, it's to plop something down I plan to put a sim into and if I see that a house is barren I'll skip it lol
    Check out my stuff on the Sims 4 gallery under the ID 'RavennaSanguine'