Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Do You Like Your Houses?

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    It depends
    Personally, I now prefer to make my own houses. I totally think outside the box & my houses are unusual & imaginative.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Fully furnished and decorated
    And with symmetrical windows.
  • Options
    rottmeisterrottmeister Posts: 192 Member
    I. Can't. Build. 😀
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    Furnished but not too decorated
    I love using other people's builds since I'm not great at it and I basically always move my sims into furnished houses since I don't like decorating myself. I don't mind clutter as long as it doesn't get in the way of any routing and doesn't make life harder for my sims.
  • Options
    CeeyaCeeya Posts: 2 New Member
    I love fully decorated houses. I love to see the ways others have been able to put all the plants and furnishings to use. There are so many creative ideas. I am just now learning to build and get to see what a challenge I am facing with all the creativity in the Gallery!
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I hate too much clutter and MOO use. I end up not using a lot of houses because of that. Even if it's just a house for some townies I don't plan to play, I might visit them some time and there could be a problem with things not working properly. For sims that I play, having just the necessities would be fine.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Other (please comment)
    I like to build my own houses but also like to download some just to look around and admire,especially the Maxis faves and then I delete them.

I tend to upload empty houses as so many people don't have the full set of objects I have and it is the easiest way of copying them from one PC to another.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It depends
    Honestly, I am a minimalist. So I look for and make houses that take minimal effort.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited May 2020
    Other (please comment)
    Honestly, I am a minimalist. So I look for and make houses that take minimal effort.

Did you play "The Sims" as I did. Sometimes no building and just a tent and a toilet/shower!
  • Options
    cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    Just the neccessities
    I am not a builder but I like to decorate and furnish homes myself. If I see a house I want on the gallery I usually download unfurnished. Too much clutter makes them expensive and too much MOO makes them unusable.
    I like the way the sims 2 pre-made houses were with just basic kitchen and basic bathroom.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I find that too much clutter looks good in builds, but it's just too chaotic to actually play in. I can't be dealing with a house with 500 columns, full wall mirrors, giant lights and bookshelves that won't hide away and make it hard to see anything in the house. Recently I've been a big fan of unfurnished houses though, I'm terrible at exteriors so it's nice to just be able to do a rags to riches and furnish the house as you go along, it gives me a goal to work towards going from the worst cheap items to the best items
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    When I'm downloading something from the Gallery, I want fully decorated and furnished piece of work. With that said, I'm not above redecorating or redesigning. However, I don't download for my own use, only for public lots or other sims. I prefer to build from scratch when it comes to my families.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Technically mixed answer - when I download stuff, I either prefer sparsely decorated so I can do my own decor, or, if I do want to leave it as-is, then incredibly richly decorated. When in doubt, I always add more plants, though ;)
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don't want a lot of unnecessary decor or worse, decor that breaks the functionality of the space. In downloads, I've definitely run into that several times. When I have time, I'd rather build or download a shell. Minimal basic decor is fine with me because I would rather personalize the space myself. Overly decorated spaces feel like they were made for someone else's sim. When they are so cluttered that they cause functional problems, I am not happy. I end up just deleting stuff to make the space work.

When I have more time, I want to build more. I haven't tried decorating a complete shell but that would probably interest me. I build some of my own houses.

To be clear, I like when I add decor myself for a specific sim, but I don't like when lots are so overly decorated that they don't really work. People need to playtest their builds. It has made me a little bit wary when downloading.

I have used downloading to quickly redecorate empty rooms but even then I don't need too much useless decor.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    It depends
    It varies for me depending on my need at the moment. With that being said I detest clutter. I can appreciate the effort and time it takes to place every item "just so" but irl I dont have much clutter. The older I get the more anxious it makes me for some reason and that translates into my gameplay. Even when my sims get collectibles I either put them in a chest or sell them.

But I do like houses being decorated even if it isnt the style I like because then it gives me an idea of how I should/could lay out my own decorating style i.e. victorian, primitive.
  • Options
    simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    edited May 2020
    It depends
    I like mines fully furnished but functional without CC. So, it all depends..
  • Options
    amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Unfurnished
    Unfurnished. I always end up deleting whatever furniture’s inside anyway and redo the whole thing to match my sims.
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I download lots of houses from the gallery, but they are nearly always for my townies. I like these ones furnished and lightly decorated, just so there's some realism when my sim goes to visit them.
    If I download houses for me to play my sims in, I prefer them unfurnished. I really struggle when things feel crowded or too decorated, it's like my brain cant figure out where to look first and it feels quite overwhelming.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2020
    Other (please comment)
    I despise uploads that use the MOO cheats. I don't like seeing clipping. I don't like items blown up disproportionately. I don't like seeing items combined to form new items. No thanks.

The unfortunate part is you wont know homes that use the cheat most of the time until you actually plop the lot down in your game. Some uploaders use the hashtag but most do not.
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    It depends
    It actually depends on how I want my Sim to live. Most of the time, I want either a tiny modern house really decorated lovely. Or an apartment. Those are the two I lean towards right now. Right now my Sim is in a cheaper apartment though because she's going to university.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I like furnished, but too decorated means too expensive. If my sims are going to have to pay for decorations I prefer to pick them out.

I like my community lots decorated though. I don't like to have to edit those much. But I picked my answer based on houses.
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    Fully furnished, fully decorated, and fully landscaped. I have absolutely no skills to do so myself, so I rely on others and they never let me down.
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    It depends
    I mainly build the houses myself (and always leave them unfinished because I'd much rather play the game than figure out how to match the million different wood swatches with each other)

I only download builds from the gallery when I'm trying to fill my world with houses for townies. So, I only download fully furnished houses off the gallery.
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    It depends
    I sometimes use them fully furnished if I like the style and the family can afford it. Otherwise I clear everything out except the kitchen and bathroom fixtures and have my sims bring the furniture from their old place.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I usually prefer to use my own builds, even though I don't build often as it takes me far too long. When I do find a lot I like on the gallery, I prefer it to be fully furnished to save time so I only have to tweak it a bit to suit my household.