Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Do You Like Your Houses?

When downloading from the Gallery, do you prefer unfurnished or furnished homes and how furnished do you want them to be?

I've often seen people (here) mention that they dislike Gallery houses that use too much of the move objects cheat/too much clutter. Or that they simply furnish houses anew because they want it to better suit their Sims. I'm curious as to what people prefer when it comes to homes for their Sims.
Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr

How Do You Like Your Houses? 225 votes

Unfurnished
7%
StrangerthanAllison18Bagoas77BluelleHarukotyanfoxybillyAngelEb95EnkiSchmidtBreazonaDrakosMageKnightEmolgaBradyGalaxyAngeliqueAdelaideamber_ilumiremeljonesUniquelyLyss 16 votes
Just the neccessities
7%
cornflake88luthienrisingslamondaemorrillladybreidTrashmagicDoloresGreyMonaveilmikamakimonSimskristaperagogoSmellincoffeepurpleplumTheFlyingGentlemanljbnomadAmber_10 16 votes
Furnished but not too decorated
29%
Akl500PEvvieSimmerIcewolfjeepjeepcatnicolechartrandPlayerSinger2010applefeather2mcruddCorkysPetalsasimbsimMeteoraStormMariefoxprice83WyrrenloubyloulouNinoosimMindofyChanty25Rosybearspice3milly001 66 votes
Fully furnished and decorated
33%
crocobaurabshag4lvwinkeljohn78AlexaiAllearsIsb917ZorgaelanorbretonKementarifriendlysimmersSimberella777JasumiMiaSkywalkerSimSwim2Javi182ashcrash19Jerrellosikasika18taydevashleyrenee210 76 votes
It depends
17%
GalacticGalCamkatjadevkKatAnubiswylmite1986goodcakebaker62zagboorulessimlicious2015TeeSeafallenangel66SeptJanOctlovemy4sWaytoomanyUIDsluxsylvanjoleacoOldeseadoggeKimber8856Colton147147simesmerizedj1z1 39 votes
Other (please comment)
5%
SimburianFairyGodMotherAquariusMomSindocatcatitude5texxx78Karababy52MDianaSimsLoanetRedShoe7ChazzzyjoRN1414 12 votes

Comments

• MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Other (please comment)
    I voted other because I rarely download houses from the Gallery but build everything myself. It's just easier for me to immediately see the poll results (which you can't if you don't vote).
    But in general, when playing I like to start out with just the necessities (and usually in a small starter home).
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Other (please comment)
    Likewise, I seldom download from the Gallery. I like to move in to actual premade homes in the worlds I play, and modify those to suit myself, or build from scratch.

I tend to end up in much larger houses than my Sims need, even if they are single, or else small houses get pretty crammed. Tiny Living is my next pack, to try to curb myself of this tendency toward preposterously large homes.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2020
    I prefer them to be fully furnished but without to many weird placed objects cluttered around. Like I don't mind people using bb.moveobjects for some things. It bothers me when items that are meant to be against walls have a huge gap behind them so I really don't mind that people cheat to fix that sort of thing.

Usually when I download builds I will go around and fix most of the items that are placed where they shouldn't be especially when I can't understand why they were placed the way they are cause they would of looked fine without using the moveobjects cheat.

I don't build myself and I'm kinda to lazy with decorating. I mostly just want a nice house for my sims to live so I can just play.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    It depends
    When I'm downloading from the gallery, I'm usually doing it as a "quick fix" because I don't want to take the time to build a particular house or venue. So as long as the build is functional, I'm fine with it being cluttered or plain or whatever.

That said, at this point I'm mostly downloading to learn how things were done, so I currently keep more of an eye out for elements I want to recreate/emulate, which is almost always something that involves cheats. I know a lot of builders post videos of their builds on Youtube, but I don't learn that well from videos that don't explain their steps - which rules out something like 95% of all non-tutorial build videos.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Just the neccessities
    Furnished kitchen and bathroom, just like IRL. At least in my country. I like to do the rest to my and my sims' liking.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I always want houses to be furnished and somewhat decorated, but I don't like too much clutter. I want to have space to add things that my Sims need for their hobbies and careers etc.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    It depends
    I seldom download gallery houses, preferring to build my own. There are a couple of builders who I know do good work, so tend to get theirs if I do download. Occassionally have gotten something that's unique/catches the eye. In all cases the photos are examined first as well as the descriptive material.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    I like them fully furnished and decorated as I enjoy seeing what people come up with. I can delete or modify features I don't like and there is always the option to buy unfurnished lots.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't mind some decorations, but if it's MOO'd to death, I have to either delete everything and start over, or just completely download a new house.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I also prefer to build myself, but some times I just need a house right NOW, and don't feel like building.

I like simple furnishings, enough room for everything my sims would need, also space outside for a garden usually. I never use MOO, and will avoid builds that use it. I usually change a lot to suit my sims.
  • BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    Unfurnished
    I rarely download from the gallery, but the minority of the time I do, I like having it unfurnished. The problem I have with some furnished gallery homes is that there's just too much stuff. Too much clutter, everything's too close together, and I just like designing the inside my own way.
    Proud simmer
  • lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member
    It depends
    It depends on my story. Most of the time I liked to be slightly decorated where I only add a few things. Sometimes I may be doing a story about a witch or an artsy bohemian type and want lots of clutter and sometimes I build my own house and decorate.
  • mattiemayhemmattiemayhem Posts: 47 Member
    It depends
    absolutely depends for me! i typically download lots for challenge or storytelling purposes so i'll either spend hours scouring the gallery, picking and dropping, little edits, or empty it entirely. sometimes i want that cluttered look but my pc can barely deal with suuuper cluttered lawns xD so i typically reduce the landscaping. but i love a good cluttered home ugh.
  • LectersLecters Posts: 19 Member
    I prefer to build from scratch when it's *my* home but if I just need a decent house for sidestory sims, I tend to grab things from the gallery.
    Check out my gallery! https://vipercide.com/gallery

xTO39gj.png
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    edited May 2020
    It depends
    I rarely download but when I do I will have a specific purpose in mind so download all of these options at certain points in time. Eg. Fully decorated for place and play, empty when I feel like renovating a shell etc
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    It depends
    I don't usually play with downloaded houses, I build my own. I do download them though for background for my game and to give deserving townies homes. I like them decorated but not too cluttered up with MOO objects. I like them to be actually useful in case my sims go to visit or I end up with a main sim into that home through a marriage or something and in that case, they will need a bit of space for their own collectibles. I get real annoyed quickly if I have to edit them just to make them functional or delete a bunch of clutter that's blocking items. If I do have to edit them too much I figure I might as well as built it myself.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    Unfurnished
    hate plants around the houses - they are the first thing I delete and trees - im not a gardener IRL so its something I do not like- then I get rid of any dark furniture/dark flooring/wallpaper and make it pale (usually white walls) the odd vase of flowers - minimalist furniture (white or pale wood) marble or light wood flooring and then im happy!! also I dont like central ceilign lights, I change them for wall lights straight away
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I like them decorated and furnished but not cluttered. And no moo.
  • Lorna08Lorna08 Posts: 98 Member
    If I go to the gallery it's because I want it fully made it. I'm probably looking for something that I can't build myself or I haven't even thought of before. It's totally valid to want less clutter and bb move objects can be annoying.
    y7Kh4Ip.png
    Follow me on (S)imstagram @SimmerLorna
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I am very lazy, so the more furniture the lot has the better :lol: I may change a few things, but I don't spend a lot of time on designing.
    giphy.gif
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    I’ built almost every house I play in. I like the gallery for venues or builds that fit the theme I am filling a world with ATM. For example I might do OS all Spanish style Or all modern in a save and it’s nice to grab homes and venues to have around where I’m playing that I didn’t have to build.

I post some houses ready to move in meaning the kitchen and the bathroom is done but you have to bring your own furniture and I also post some as complete. Generally builds I post that are for a challenge are much fancier than what I would play for myself. In my gameplay,I like my SIMs to earn their own money so sometimes the houses are not that exciting.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Other (please comment)
    I prefer furnished but i actually never use them like that 😂 my sims never have enough money so they end up moving to the unfurnished version.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    When I get a house from the gallery I want it to be ready to use, so yeah.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Unfurnished
    I usually only download empty shells. I've become much more of a builder these days and have had too many bad experiences with un/poorly playtested builds on the gallery.
  • simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    It depends
    Honestly, I can't play in a house someone else made, usually. I'm just very picky about furnishing and decorations. Every now and then I'll play one. I'll gut the inside and redo it. I do occasionally download gallery houses to use for filler. So like I won't have sims I play live in them but I'll put sims I don't play in them. In that case I don't really care how or if it's furnished on the inside.