Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about Building houses

What's a good real estate website for houses that show floorplans to recreate in the Sims?

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Not a real estate website, but I've been finding a lot of good ideas here: https://www.houseplans.com/
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I can't recommend any real estate websites but if you type floor plan in google images you get quite a lot of ideas and also links for house design websites .
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    As said above Google images is a great place to start.
    I've dozens of floorplans save on my computer by now and I seem to add new ones everytime I want to build something o:)
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    How do you guys adjust the scale from real world house plans to sim world house plans? Or do you just wing it?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    How do you guys adjust the scale from real world house plans to sim world house plans? Or do you just wing it?

I usually sort of wing it. One Sims square is about 50cm/20inches (or thereabouts) so that's one way to get an approximate size if I go from a floorplan.
    If it feels like not enough space for everything that needs to fit into a room, I adjust according to the number of squares each item takes up.

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

I think following a plan exactly is too much stress. Also, sometimes it's not possible to execute in the sims due to lack of features. So best thing to do is to look at proportions of rooms, think how much room you would realistically need in the game for the sims to move easily and always build with that in mind. If you have two or more sims in the house, the staircase should be at least 2 tiles wide, even if the house plan you're building from shows a narrow staircase. This way you can follow the general layout of the house, but also make adjustments so that the house is easily playable in game. It's important to choose the right windows and doors. If you made a room larger, you can keep the same look by just placing more windows so instead of a what looks like a 2 tile window you add a 3 or 4 tile window (windows that can be placed seamlessly one next to another work best). Similarly you can place larger (or smaller) doors and arches to make hallways and rooms appear like they keep the right proportions. The same rule applies basically to every item of furnishing. It doesn't have to be an identical copy of the houseplan but it should look similar and be playable.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I haven't started building from floorplans yet but i've been recolecting some floorplans from pinterest.
  • gothiclolitaplgothiclolitapl Posts: 94 Member
    there is this thing called 'mansion generator' which i think is mostly used for DnD stuff, but its a good tool for working out the base of the house
    Origin ID: blackrosespl
    My tumblr: https://blackrose-p-sims.tumblr.com/
  • peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    Personally, I like Pinterest for ideas but you can find floor plans there too, especially for more historic/old fashioned builds.

I used to just wing it but it felt too fiddly to me and took a long time, I'd get the proportions wrong or end up with a house that's way bigger than what fits in the lot. Now I use an image editing program (PaintTool SAI is what I have but GIMP or something similar would work) and a grid of the lot to scale it down to where it mostly fits within the lot. Then I go over it with a line on the grid, which is probably unnecessary but I like to be extra, and then build it in game. The actual building of the shell takes the least time.