Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Multi-Generational Households

Lorna08Lorna08 Posts: 98 Member
Hi!

I have a save game where I'm focusing on a family. It's my favorite set of parents who make really interesting looking kids every single time. I really want to try and make my sims grow (aspirations, skills, school grades, etc) which is something I usually suck at doing. I get distracted with relationships or bounce around households too much.

The matriarch has the Big Happy Family aspiration and I want her to have interactions with her grandchildren but I find it overwhelming to have more than 6 sims in one household. I currently have Mom, 1 adult daughter, 2 children in the household. She has one more adult son who I moved out and into a lot with his wife and toddler (grandson to Mom). The patriarch moved out too with a new wife and 2 kids so he's around.

So my dilemma is what is a good configuration for me? I want the matriarch to have a grandson to interact with for her aspiration. I even built a cool toddler room. I don't even care too much for the daughter in law but I don't want to break them up. I've never killed a sim on purpose but that's an option. Do I move another kid out?

Do you have any creative solutions? Thanks in advance.
y7Kh4Ip.png
Follow me on (S)imstagram @SimmerLorna

Comments

• FreechheitFreechheit Posts: 128 Member
    If you have Get Together installed, you could create a club with the mom and all the other Sims she should interact with. You can start the gathering anywhere, e.g. on her home lot. The other Sims will come to the lot and they can spend some time together, until you stop the gathering. The toddler has to be a child, though. Maybe that is an option for you.
  • MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    I second the club option. I started a family with Ariella James and once her 4 kids began to have kids I was disappointed with the lack of family time. I made a club with all the family, minus toddlers, and start gatherings. It's fun to watch 15 plus sims show up (using a mod for clubs) to hang out as a family. That way, I can play rotationally. And move sims out without fear of them not being included in the active households life.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    Lorna08 wrote: »
    So my dilemma is what is a good configuration for me? I want the matriarch to have a grandson to interact with for her aspiration. I even built a cool toddler room. I don't even care too much for the daughter in law but I don't want to break them up. I've never killed a sim on purpose but that's an option. Do I move another kid out?

I am not in the position of deciding what you do.

I have a different style of playing which includes many households in most worlds. That approach allows me to move a kid out provided another household is found for the kid to move into. In fact, I move sims between households about all the time.

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    edited May 2020
    You could get a sim that you don't want to play closely to live in your house as a roommate/renter. Also, sims who have good relationships with your sims will come to visit, if you live next door, you could visit practically every day. Pete Cahill from Strangerville came to visit my sim all the way to Britchester one rainy evening. :D
  • Lorna08Lorna08 Posts: 98 Member
    Freechheit wrote: »
    If you have Get Together installed, you could create a club with the mom and all the other Sims she should interact with.
    You can start the gathering anywhere, e.g. on her home lot. The other Sims will come to the lot and they can spend some time together, until you stop the gathering. The toddler has to be a child, though. Maybe that is an option for you.
    I second the club option.
    I started a family with Ariella James and once her 4 kids began to have kids I was disappointed with the lack of family time. I made a club with all the family, minus toddlers, and start gatherings. It's fun to watch 15 plus sims show up (using a mod for clubs) to hang out as a family. That way, I can play rotationally. And move sims out without fear of them not being included in the active households life.

I already have a a family group actually! I'm not able to add the 2 children though. I do have spots open but maybe I would need a mod? Do you know of any ones?

I remembered I can also call the toddler to "hang out at current lot". Duh!

y7Kh4Ip.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    edited May 2020
    I can't get the club system to work for me. Instead, I invite family members over for Holidays and such. Sometimes, just for a dinner. I might use the Event Calendar to do this and once the Event times out, ask them to hang out. I've had reasonable success with this. (It's much more fun to turn off the goals, if you go this route.) I was able to effectively throw a Bridal Shower and then used the Event Calendar to set up a Bridal Rehearsal Dinner. (House Party.) I have to ask you, OP, do you play with autonomy on?

vKHk2v9.jpg
    UaOi0fU.jpg

I've got mine on and I play maximized households. I guess I like the chaos, because when I've followed one of the grown kids who has moved out and there is just that Sim and their spouse I get bored QUICKLY. So, I guess I have the opposite problem, as you. I've even attempted Rotation play, which was necessary in Sims2, if you wanted your Sims to age together. Not so necessary in this game, but I have a very hard time rotating away from my favorite Sim.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    [I can't get the club system to work for me. Instead, I invite family members over for Holidays and such. Sometimes, just for a dinner. I might use the Event Calendar to do this and once the Event times out, ask them to hang out. I've had reasonable success with this. (It's much more fun to turn off the goals, if you go this route.) I was able to effectively throw a Bridal Shower and then used the Event Calendar to set up a Bridal Rehearsal Dinner. (House Party.) I have to ask you, OP, do you play with autonomy on?

vKHk2v9.jpg
    UaOi0fU.jpg

I've got mine on and I play maximized households. I guess I like the chaos, because when I've followed one of the grown kids who has moved out and there is just that Sim and their spouse I get bored QUICKLY. So, I guess I have the opposite problem, as you. I've even attempted Rotation play, which was necessary in Sims2, if you wanted your Sims to age together. Not so necessary in this game, but I have a very hard time rotating away from my favorite Sim.

Throwing events sounds like a great idea. I did throw the oldest son a wedding recently and it was raining and the guests were hanging out elsewhere in the house during the ceremony. It was so awkward. I might not be good at throwing events but I'm willing to learn.

I typically like having large households but like I said in the original post I want to focus more of their individual growth in this save file. I play with full autonomy but I still find that their needs go down faster than I would like and I can't get them to level up (skills, etc) because they're hungry or tired or take an hour to go to the bathroom. I recently got the UI cheats mod so I've been using that to speed things up.

I didn't play much of Sims 2. I only remember the stove catching fire and killing my sim. classic.
    y7Kh4Ip.png
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    If you have Get Together installed, you could create a club with the mom and all the other Sims she should interact with.
    You can start the gathering anywhere, e.g. on her home lot. The other Sims will come to the lot and they can spend some time together, until you stop the gathering. The toddler has to be a child, though. Maybe that is an option for you.
    I started a family with Ariella James and once her 4 kids began to have kids I was disappointed with the lack of family time. I made a club with all the family, minus toddlers, and start gatherings. It's fun to watch 15 plus sims show up (using a mod for clubs) to hang out as a family. That way, I can play rotationally. And move sims out without fear of them not being included in the active households life.

I already have a a family group actually! I'm not able to add the 2 children though. I do have spots open but maybe I would need a mod? Do you know of any ones?

Maybe you accidentally set a rule that members need to be adults?

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    edited May 2020

Maybe you accidentally set a rule that members need to be adults?
    The only rule I set was invite only. Here is what I'm seeing. When I click the + sign I don't see any children in the list of sims. I tried creating a new group and same thing.

Tsf1bAu.png
    w1BhEla.png
    y7Kh4Ip.png
  • awellenblawellenbl Posts: 2,970 Member
    I had that problem on and off in the last few days. Sometimes it helped to redo the age requirements and basically check off all the agegroups. If your club leader has a high relationship with the children you can just ask them to join directly. Click on the child with the club leader selected and there should be a "clubs" subsection with "invite to club" and then "invite to Moss Family Club". This worked for me everytime.
    awellenbl wrote: »
    I had that problem on and off in the last few days. Sometimes it helped to redo the age requirements and basically check off all the agegroups. If your club leader has a high relationship with the children you can just ask them to join directly. Click on the child with the club leader selected and there should be a "clubs" subsection with "invite to club" and then "invite to Moss Family Club". This worked for me everytime.

Hi Awellenbl! I was able to make the group leader invite the children into the group! success!
    Bl5HjVp.png

As for changing the age requirements to "All". That did not change anything.

Thanks everyone!

y7Kh4Ip.png