The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of Magic Is Great

13...Next

Comments

• BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    witches were my most anticipated feature in the game and i was kinda let down too. could have been worse though. my biggest problems were, in no particular order:

1. the floating familiars are pretty useless, they could have atleast been more animated. they just float in place. saving your sim from death is the only cool part, but there are a million ways to do that already. so meh. resources could have gone elsewhere.

2. where's all the witchy clutter? mortar and pestle? funky decorative bottles? ancient grimoire? bundles of sage? mystical ingredient jars/reagents? we got like 2 pieces of witchy clutter in the catalogue: the floating crystal and the dried flowers. there are at least bottles attached to the furniture, why not add those as separate pieces? you have to use a mod to have those items. also the cauldron is insanely huge, can't there be a smaller one?

3. once you go to the magical realm... everyone and their mom randomly becomes a spellcaster. unless this has been fixed, but afaik it wasn't even a glitch. but i don't go to the magical realm because of it, so that entire part of the pack is out of the question for me.

4. spells are pretty boring, the effects are underwhelming. some are cool, most are essentially cheat codes though. where are the whimsical, quirky, or other cool spells? like a raincloud to water plants? turning a sim into a toad? banishing them or freezing time?

5. not a fan of CAS, but that's just personal taste. i'm not really a harry potter fan, so the main inspiration being harry potter is meh.
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • MagicalSimmer110MagicalSimmer110 Posts: 20 Member
    @Simpatsyann thank you for the help. I'm going to test it out now.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited June 2020
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Eh. The aesthetics of the world are great, but that's the only good thing about the world. The premades are not what they were advertised, instead we got much uglier, inferior versions of them. The school/castle/hall building is sub-par in appearance, other Simmers have made far superior schools without CC.

I do enjoy the system of how magic works, but disappointed with its appearance. In TS3, it was flashy. Here, it's just sparkles. Meh. Magic also accomplishes what you could already do in the game, so it's just a new way to accomplish the same thing. Progressing magic for the first time literally devolves to "talk to sages, watch Sim wave arms around casting spells for a few in-game hours" and that's it, you're a master caster. Whoop-ee. It has as much content as Jungle Adventure does. A few hours of gameplay and then you're bored again. In my opinion, the pack to add in supernatural abilities, Vampires, is still top dog.

Still, it's a good base for modders. I am intrigued by this prospect:
    alan650111 wrote: »
    One of my favorites. I love having spellcasters. I also get more enjoyment by downloading the massive amounts of custom spell mods that are out there.

"Massive amounts of custom spell mods". This, to me, sounds like people have created their own spells, besides Triplis's mod and Neil's. If this is true, I will immediately look into it.

You're in luck!

http://www.modthesims.info/d/633665/

https://modthesims.info/d/637203/more-spell-is-fun.html

http://www.modthesims.info/d/633667/climatio-weather-controlling-spell.html

http://www.modthesims.info/d/635990/forbidden-spells.html

http://www.modthesims.info/d/643304/rom-curses-are-now-spells.html

I think there are more custom spells if you look around some more. Love them! They add to the enjoyment of the pack tenfold! Be sure to add the spellbook injector mod first so they can work! :)

You tha real MVP.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's possible, but if anyone manages to create their own custom spell effects, I'd like to know about those too. As someone said earlier, Untamed magic should look untamed.
    Post edited by AHolyToilet on
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    I love the pack but feel that there be could improvements. I think this definitely could've been an EP instead of GP! This would've allowed to go more in-depth to the "realm's qualities" that Spellcasters bring home with them, for example- not just two magic plants, but having special magic food/drink recipes that you can only conjure/make if you have said magical ingredients. And that way the world we were given could have had more than 5 lots like the vampires world (which I LOVE and am so sad that world is so small). I was hoping eventually they would do some Occult game updates in a patch! I know they weren't on the recent survey but I'm hoping if they hear about it enough then maybe they'll add some small and easier features to make spellcasters even more magical :)
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited July 2020
    It is one of my favorite packs. I hope they expand on it more in the future . Even tho I hardly play with kids life state it would be nice if they were able to cast some “mischief” spells like in the sims making magic. The spells in that game was far more better then what we currently have. I was really hoping we would be able to use magic on our gnomes to help garden & the flamingo dancers. Heck having a baby dragon would of been really nice too. Shame we didn’t get the bone maid
  • Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    This pack really should have been an expansion though
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,121 Member
    Has anyone besides me figured out that the Magical Portals can be used as transportals for a spaceship home?
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,414 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Has anyone besides me figured out that the Magical Portals can be used as transportals for a spaceship home?

You are not the only one who is thinking about that. ;) I really like the look of the portal but for a spaceship it would be nice to have a more modern looking version as well.
  • DarkMagic2012DarkMagic2012 Posts: 45 Member
    If anyone is wondering, Realm of Magic is 14.99 right now on Origin. I just purchased it. I hope it's as good as Supernatural. :)
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,872 Member
    edited October 2020
    Well, as I'm in my halloween period, I've been playing with vampires and spellcasters. Vampires are more fleshed out. Also, while I like spellcasters :
    • Glimmerbrook and the magic realm feel empty, there's no real atmosphere, the builds are very empty, especially compared with premade lots in Vampires.
    • Build/Buy isn't very versatile (some items the fireplace are not at all), and where is the witchy stuff ? Even a pile of old books would have been nice. I think it should have been more middle-age styled, with a big stone fireplace etc, more Harry Potter like too.
    • CAS is nice but again, not even a witch hat.....
    • Familiars are cool but you can't even interact with them.....
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited October 2020
    i love realm of magic but my only compliant is that the magic realm feels a bit empty and there is no incentive to visit unless u need brooms and fimiliars and that stuff but this is my 3rd fav gamepack over behind outdoor retreat (yes i like it) and parenthood
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I could have done with more lots to build in in the world as I love the windows and doors and they look a bit out of place in Willow Creek unless you make the whole world using them.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I am always in favor of more lots!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    This is the last pack i truly loved the cas items from and I got it mainly for the cas items. Glimmerbook is a stunning world too. The spellcaster world is far too glitchy in my game but I do love the other aspects of this pack.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    The most fun I ever had with ROM was when one of my sims got the Curse of the Night Wraith early in her spellcasting career. The Night Wraith is intense and scary looking and the sim gets drained of energy and can't sleep. It was the most grueling path as a spellcaster and by the time I got a potion of curse cleansing, I had gotten used to this sim being plagued by the Night Wraith and I kind of missed the excitement!

I personally think the curses aren't frequent enough and that it's too easy to get rid of them.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I'm just about to do this exact thing! I'm not usually into occults, but I bought the pack ages ago and havent played with it. I've been getting a bit bored recently (gen 36) and have a child sim with flaming red hair, a cheerful personality and a love of life, so I've decided that she's going to explore the spellcaster universe when she grows up. I'm actually really looking forward to it - I havent seen any of the hidden world yet!