Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recycled Animations in Eco Lifestyle

I've seen comments that the Eco Lifestyle contains a lot of previously used animations. I have to admit that I rarely pay much attention to animations, except for the really over the top ones, and that's probably why I didn't recognize them as already being in the game.

For example, it was mentioned that the machine used to 'suck up' pollution uses the same animation as the weeding machine introduced in Seasons.

ZQ6SZVd.png

na0akWr.png

Can it be said that there are a finite number of animations and after 33 packs it's not unreasonable to expect some duplication in animations?

Would it have been better if the new machine was just left out of the game or create new animations?

I have no knowledge of what's required in game animation so wanted to know what everyone thought about this.

Can we omit the 'lazy developers' and 'cash grab' comments to a minimum and have a rational discussion? :)

Comments

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I think they could (and should) definitely come up with new animations. The worm hugging is the same animation we got with MFPS, the 3D printer uses the same (just smaller) animation as the inventor machine (or whatever it's called) from GTW, I have the feeling that the way they work the garbage recycling machine looks awfully similar to how they use the weather machine in seasons (however TS4 loves giving us machines with buttons and levers and they always look awfully similar so idk), I don't love the way they slide down ladders (that's not recycled though, but it means they only really had to show them climbing the ladder and they already made that for IL), there's new food stalls and vendor tables which will also likely be using the same animations, ...

Doesn't mean I'll hate this pack but it's hard to miss how many animations don't seem particularly new. I think that they can definitely still make many new ones even if some duplication isn't necessarily a problem. It should be the exception rather than the norm though, otherwise it starts looking an awful lot like just reusing the same objects and animations, giving them a new name and outcome and selling it as new. This franchise is a little too profitable for that. :)

• Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    I don’t mind I just wished they would tweak it a bit sometimes. The toddler bath/pool/beach is all the same. I wish they at least changed the toy.

The first kiss and mistletoe is the same, I wish they removed the heart from the mistletoe kiss.

Those are the 2 that annoy me the most.

Recycling I liked was the workout videos. Reused animation for a new purpose.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I feel like it’s not a major deal as well. As long as the recycled animation makes sense I don’t see why it’s a bad thing. The only animation I’ve seen recycled that shouldn’t have been was the toddler bathtub being used as playing in the ocean that just looks off.

But I feel like in general the recycled animations tend to save time and money to let the devs do other things within the packs. I also think after as many packs as we have it’s bound to happen more as again it’s a money and time saver. Would it be nice to see new animations for every new thing? Yes but I just don’t realistically expect it at this point.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    As somebody who does animation, I understand it's often easier and less costly reusing the same animations rather than create new animations. It's done in other games, in movies, commercials, and anytime animation is used even in cel and claymation. Disney back in the day did this all the time with cel animation. It's a "dirty little secret". Also in games, premade 3d models are used and can be changed a bit and you get a new character. Poser and Daz have lots of premade 3d models like Michael. The Girl, Freak, Giovani, Lee Aiko, Hiro and many more that can be brought into programmes like Maya and you have someone work the back end and code and then you have a game.

So no it doesn't bother me that animations are reused for time and money. There are only so many ways a human body can move. Am I upset? No, because I work as a 3d modeller and animator making mostly copy and do that myself to save time for a client's project.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    The animation of the sim hugging the worm thing in the trailer is the same as a sim hugging a rodent from MFP Stuff
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2020
    drakharis wrote: »
    As somebody who does animation, I understand it's often easier and less costly reusing the same animations rather than create new animations. It's done in other games, in movies, commercials, and anytime animation is used even in cel and claymation. Disney back in the day did this all the time with cel animation. It's a "dirty little secret". Also in games, premade 3d models are used and can be changed a bit and you get a new character. Poser and Daz have lots of premade 3d models like Michael. The Girl, Freak, Giovani, Lee Aiko, Hiro and many more that can be brought into programmes like Maya and you have someone work the back end and code and then you have a game.

So no it doesn't bother me that animations are reused for time and money. There are only so many ways a human body can move. Am I upset? No, because I work as a 3d modeller and animator making mostly copy and do that myself to save time for a client's project.

Wasn't it mostly one particular Disney animator who liked to recycle the same stuff time and time again? 🤔

And sure there's only so many ways a body can move but frankly: I would have liked real football animations (with sims actually playing a match like in TS3, not repeating the same animation over and over even when playing "together"), toddlers to play with the LEGO thing from Parenthood in a different way than with all their other toys (maybe puzzling something together on the floor), generally way more animations for kids and toddlers (playing a xylophone, small toddler kitchen, kids and toddlers playing together with sims from their own age group), teens and children being able to interact with their toddler siblings in the ball pit, sims ice skating together (maybe rotating each other), slow dancing, hand holding, have multiple sims going on a walk with their dogs together, volley ball, .....

There's tons of things they've never animated at all - or have seemingly not worked on in packs they would have been perfect for in favor of giving us gameplay mechanics full of recycled animations. Again: they have an entire studio animating stuff, they should be able to give us quite a bit more animations still ;)
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    edited May 2020
    Can't say as it's ever bothered me, really. The toddler bath/paddling pool/ocean splashing recycling made sense to me; what other animation would work? I'm not even fussed about the toy. It's not something I've made a study of (I don't usually get time, my game gets busy!). I'll be honest, if it wasn't for all the complaints on here, I never would have noticed the animation was the same. I was pleased that you could bath toddlers in the bath, have two at a time in a paddling pool and let them splash in the shallows of the ocean. They're all things I've not been able to do with them before, in the previous generation of the franchise.

I've not really seen the need for new animations all the time. With regard to the example in the trailer, I thought it made sense. If the machine is siphoning up pollution, as it were, the same way the Seasons machine sucks up the weeds, how many animations does that really need? I'd rather the focus went into, say, the new skills or effects of the pollution, rather than an animation that might last a few seconds.
    Post edited by MissyHissy on
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I never make it into a big deal. But as a player who never uses fast foward and love to watch the sims do their things slowly. I love a wide variety of nicely done animations. And I enjoy watching them over and over.

Some things i would love to see is a wide variety of snuggle animations. Like sitting on the floor (in front of the fireplace) cuddling. I'd love many more animations of playing with kids and toddlers. Like peekaboo, and different games they can play.
    As well as animations playing different board games on the floor.
    Animations holding hands and walking.
    I wanted an animation for sims feeding eachother but not romantically.
    I could go on an on.

However, I don't get bent out of shape if they reuse animations and I'm also aware of how hard and time consuming it is. No one know how many animators they have, what their budget is like or any of those things.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Nah, it doesn't bother me. I think the animation comparison was made between the SimRay and the pollution machine too.

But in the end, if reusing animations means we get more items that our Sims can interact and the interactive objects have more options, I'm happy enough, no matter that the interactions themselves look the same. They generally have a different outcome.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    edited May 2020
    I've dabbled in animations and it can be a very tedious and time-consuming thing to do - especially when you're doing it at a professional level.

I rarely mind recycled animations - my issue is that I don't feel like there is enough trade-off for them to continue doing so in Sims 4.
    Sims 3 had a lot of complaints it used several animations from Sims 2 but this never bothered me because everything else included in the base game and expansion packs made up for this. I don't have the same feelings for Sims 4 which is why it is much more apparent and bothers me.

So I'm all for the team recycling animations to allow the animation budget to be used elsewhere, but many times It doesn't seem like that saved budget from recycling animations is going anywhere else.

ETA

@popstarissa

Well said, there are some interactions that deserve their own unique animations.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Apparently using them again leaves them time/money to do other things. It is a bit lazy using them too much when it becomes noticeably repetitive as said before, in the toddler interactions.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    It really depends on how the pack is as a whole for me, and how and where they use the previous animations, and if it's justified or if they could have made something better.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I don't mind most of the time, as long as it makes sense, like if you would do a similar movement for the two things in reality. There are finite resources for each pack, I'd save the animations for where it matters. The hugging rodents vs worms, it makes sense they are the same, same with the gardening vs pollution contraption. As long as it means we get good animations for other things like dumpster diving and such, that's the important thing, to use the animation budget to the fullest extent.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,859 Member
    Nah, it doesn't bother me. I think the animation comparison was made between the SimRay and the pollution machine too.

But in the end, if reusing animations means we get more items that our Sims can interact and the interactive objects have more options, I'm happy enough, no matter that the interactions themselves look the same. They generally have a different outcome.

Haha, How did I forget the SimRay when that's my favorite object. :p
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited May 2020
    Don't mind and usually don't even notice. Plus the reuse of animations is evident in a lot of packs and don't see why ppl are mentioning it now as a reason to not buy this pack. Not saying it's not something you shouldn't be bothered by or criticize. But ppl mentioning it now kind of felt like finding a reason to hate the pack idk. But anyways I agree with other ppl's points that I would love to see new animations like slow dancing and children playing with each other etc. But don't know what else they could have used for the bug house. I mean you're just taking something out and petting it. And if the bug house had a new animation it would be barely noticeable or significant at least for me and it would have definitely taken away from something else since they have a budget.

Something to be upset about though would be the pack budget as it is determined by ea and probably could be bigger. But even then I would prefer new objects and stuff to do than new animations for basically the same or similar items.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I think they could (and should) definitely come up with new animations. The worm hugging is the same animation we got with MFPS, the 3D printer uses the same (just smaller) animation as the inventor machine (or whatever it's called) from GTW, I have the feeling that the way they work the garbage recycling machine looks awfully similar to how they use the weather machine in seasons (however TS4 loves giving us machines with buttons and levers and they always look awfully similar so idk), I don't love the way they slide down ladders (that's not recycled though, but it means they only really had to show them climbing the ladder and they already made that for IL), there's new food stalls and vendor tables which will also likely be using the same animations, ...

Doesn't mean I'll hate this pack but it's hard to miss how many animations don't seem particularly new. I think that they can definitely still make many new ones even if some duplication isn't necessarily a problem. It should be the exception rather than the norm though, otherwise it starts looking an awful lot like just reusing the same objects and animations, giving them a new name and outcome and selling it as new. This franchise is a little too profitable for that. :)

This is where I'm coming from too (the bold text in particular). I have no issue seeing previous animations used if they make sense.

Since this thread's focus in on recycled animations, let's discuss the animation for fixing/upgrading the Murphy Bed.... Wouldn't that animation have been better with a hammer and some nails? Or keep the screwdriver, but use it on the bed? And, why does my sim stand in the middle of the Murphy Bed to fix it?

Check out this link for pictures if you want (scroll to second post):

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/971084/the-one-only-tiny-living-complaining-thread/p6

I would really love to hear sound reasoning as to why recycling this animation for the Murphy Bed is OK. To me, that animation breaks immersion and absolutely makes no sense (the Murphy Bed is not a computer or electrical device, let alone the clipping issue).

I don't think it's an all or nothing situation with the devs or the game -- there are many good things about TS4 and there are a lot of things that could be improved.

Raising legitimate concerns and questions about what is in the game or packs in a respectful manner isn't a bad thing, is it? I mean, I think the most recent surveys seek to address the negative feedback that is out there -- and that is fantastic!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I think it depends on the animation, what it's trying to accomplish, and how many are reused in one pack.

Some repetitive animations make sense, simply because trying to change the body position could just end up looking awkward. But reuse it too many times in too many packs, and it's noticeable. That's where I think they're skimping. We are constantly hearing about how much money the Sims 4 is making, how happy the CEO is, how well the game is doing...and they can't hire more animators? There are over 200 people on the Sims team already, this is a triple A game series...not an indie project.

In the case of this recent pack, Eco Lifestyle, there are what looks like several reused animations and that's just what was seen in a less than two minute trailer. This is an expansion pack. That's way too cheap for a multi-billion dollar company.
    #Team Occult