Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HELP! I want to love The Sims again!

Comments

• kayen_keagenkayen_keagen Posts: 53 Member
    Yes! Mods, mods, mods.. like others have mentioned Meaningful stories and personality please. Also the adult mod, really spices up the game. I’ve done vanilla but it always bores me.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Yes! Mods, mods, mods.. like others have mentioned Meaningful stories and personality please. Also the adult mod, really spices up the game. I’ve done vanilla but it always bores me.

I may need to look into the personality one. I don't tend to use mods to add to the game, I only have a couple to fix things that drive me crazy haha
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I've been playing The Sims since I was 12 years old and was addicted to The Sims 1-3 yet when it comes to The Sims 4, I find I just like it. I can play for maybe an hour at a time if that before I just get bored. I've expressed my concerns and frustrations on the forums with the direction the franchise is heading. Instead of trying to fight it, I just want to enjoy the game again which is where you, my fellow Simmers come in!

Please pass on any suggestions of things I can try in game or simply just something you love about The Sims 4 that previous games didn't have. I own all Expansion, Game and Stuff Packs so please suggest things I can find a way to fall in love with The Sims 4 as I used to be with The Sims!

How do you feel about mods and CC?

Recommended Mods
    MCCC by Deaderpool
    What this mod does is allow you to change different things in the game such as autonomy. If I only had one mod I could use I would choose MCCC first.
    https://deaderpool-mccc.com/#/releases

Slice of Life by Kawaii Stacie. I was on the fence about this mod for a while but then I downloaded and love it. What it does is add a little realism to the game. This really is a major game-changer in the game
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/23514284

There are some more mature mods but since I don't know your age or how you feel about having adult interactions with your sims I won't recommend them here.

Any of Sacrificial's Mods are worth downloading.
    https://sacrificialmods.com/downloads.html

The Sorcerer's Mod improves and works great alongside "Realm of Magic" by Triplis
    https://triplis.github.io/mods/sorcerer.html

Custom spells you'll need the spellbook injector by r3m
    http://modthesims.info/d/633665/the-spellbook-injector.html

Any of LittleMsSam's mods. They do a residential elevator, First Love for your sim children, SimDaDating app for your sims. And so many amazing mods

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • ej_4_simsej_4_sims Posts: 30 Member
    Mods mods mods and more mods.....ur welcome :)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,495 Member
    edited May 2020
    I know how you feel. When Sims3 came out I had a total love/hate relationship with it, yet I still played it every day like I did with Sims2. While I was very happy about the Sims in Sims4 (as they were more into interacting on their own with other Sims, something that wasn't happening so much in my Sims3 game) I missed certain aspects of both 2 & 3. I have since added the gusto back by adding mods. Slice of Life/Road to Fame/Meaningful Stories/Private Practice and one that allows for a 21-day Seasons cycle. Also MCCC, can't live without that one. I've also added Showtime, which allows my singer Sim to rise in celebrity status quicker. (Great for when I have to restart the same game save, you know?) This has brought me more fully into the Sims4. Like you, I wasn't playing every day when I first got it. Now I am, even on Sundays, after Church. And, yay today I was able to go to church. Our doors are open to about 20 parishioners at a time. Weird, but glad to be there, even so.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Just go back to Sims 2.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
    drakharis wrote: »
    I've been playing The Sims since I was 12 years old and was addicted to The Sims 1-3 yet when it comes to The Sims 4, I find I just like it. I can play for maybe an hour at a time if that before I just get bored. I've expressed my concerns and frustrations on the forums with the direction the franchise is heading. Instead of trying to fight it, I just want to enjoy the game again which is where you, my fellow Simmers come in!

Please pass on any suggestions of things I can try in game or simply just something you love about The Sims 4 that previous games didn't have. I own all Expansion, Game and Stuff Packs so please suggest things I can find a way to fall in love with The Sims 4 as I used to be with The Sims!

How do you feel about mods and CC?

Recommended Mods
    MCCC by Deaderpool
    What this mod does is allow you to change different things in the game such as autonomy. If I only had one mod I could use I would choose MCCC first.
    https://deaderpool-mccc.com/#/releases

Slice of Life by Kawaii Stacie. I was on the fence about this mod for a while but then I downloaded and love it. What it does is add a little realism to the game. This really is a major game-changer in the game
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/23514284

There are some more mature mods but since I don't know your age or how you feel about having adult interactions with your sims I won't recommend them here.

Any of Sacrificial's Mods are worth downloading.
    https://sacrificialmods.com/downloads.html

The Sorcerer's Mod improves and works great alongside "Realm of Magic" by Triplis
    https://triplis.github.io/mods/sorcerer.html

Custom spells you'll need the spellbook injector by r3m
    http://modthesims.info/d/633665/the-spellbook-injector.html

Any of LittleMsSam's mods. They do a residential elevator, First Love for your sim children, SimDaDating app for your sims. And so many amazing mods

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/

Thanks for the lost! I'll check these out and see if any peak my interest!
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I started a generation game where each generation completes a collection to give myself a goal as I've never really tried to collect everything. The eldest is heir regardless if male or female, no cheats, and each generation heir has a different career and aspiration so I'm not doing the same thing over and over again. This way it allows me to not only stay interested because of trying to reach a goal but also do the family game play style I enjoy. I do play with long lifespan on so I can get some of these collections completed as some of them have been a bit challenging to do.

I'm currently on generation 4. The founders collected all plants and the father was in the business career track and mother in the gardener career track the science side. Generation 2 collected decorative eggs (did not intentionally complete this but because my Sim kids always hunt eggs for the spring holiday...) and Omiscan Artifacts as my heir did the archaeologist aspiration and was a famous writer. My third generation collected Sugar Skulls (which was really hard to do) Snow Globes (went to the flea market and the ones I didn't have were all for sale so just went ahead and completed it) and Magic Beans (also not an easy task but luckily my garden sim hadn't died yet and was able to find them), the hair was in the military career track and has been able to get all the military medals as well and completed the bodybuilder aspiration. My 4th generation is working on magical artifacts as I turned her into a castor so I'm exploring that game play currently while she also attends University. After which she will become a teacher but has already completed the Spellcraft and sorcery aspiration.

WbUrFQm.png
  • wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm like you, I can't play for more than an hour at a time. I mostly just build now because live mode is just too boring for me. I have added mods which have helped. If you haven't spent much time building, I suggest you give it a try.

On a positive note, my RL house is much cleaner now than it was when I played Sims 1, 2 and 3.
  • Thi5areeThi5aree Posts: 11 New Member
    I'm not sure if you're total Vanilla player, but downloading mods and playing new challenges makes the game feel brand new!
    If you're a family generation type player, (just non-crazy), I recommend...
    Mods: Slice of Life - Kawaii Stacey, Meaningful Stories - roBurky
    Challenges: Legacy Challenge, Rags to Riches, Single Father Challenge, 100 Baby Challenge
    If you're into super weird and crazy game-play, I recommend...
    Mods: Literally every single Sacraficialmods mod - Deadly Toddler, Armageddon Mod, Extreme Violence
    Challenges: Cult or Commune Challenge, Black Widow Challenge, Apocalypse Challenge, Alien Takeover Challenge
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    For those who have used the slice of life mod, just curious how long exactly do the 'memories' last, and how does this affect existing relationships in current saves once I install it? I haven't really used mods (only tried MCC once), but I keep mulling over this and think I would like to give it a try.
  • Geralt_ofRiviaGeralt_ofRivia Posts: 126 Member
    For those who have used the slice of life mod, just curious how long exactly do the 'memories' last, and how does this affect existing relationships in current saves once I install it? I haven't really used mods (only tried MCC once), but I keep mulling over this and think I would like to give it a try.
    The memories from Slice of Life work by adding a buff to the emotions. Sims will remember things like their first kiss or the last time they woohooed etc. It happens randomly as your playing. It doesn’t work like in the sims 2 and doesn’t affect relationships in any way.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    This is what I'm currently doing for my Vintage Newcrest Save, so you can maybe get some ideas from this. You can just do certain sections of this, depending on whatever sounds fun to you.

Start with 2 premades.

Take 2 premades (or maxis-made sims from the galleries), age them up or down to young adult, and get them engaged. Create immediate families for them with their DNA, 2 parents and 1 sibling. Delete all other premades in the game. As your family progresses, pick one child to be the "heir" and marry that sim off to a premade; everyone else in the game is an NPC (but you can make the NPCs over, of course).

Give the 2 main sims 2 to 3 friends of their own. Pick NPCs (single or with a family) and make them over to be the friends. Have them go to the wedding and do activities with your main sims, like friends would.

You can make more minor characters from the NPCs as needed (such as someone to be a front desk clerk, or someone to be a rude guy in a club).

Develop the background of your characters.

What type do they embody? (manly man, rebel, socially awkward, etc.)

What is their main function in your story? Everyone that isn't the 2 main sims should have a function that affects the main sims. For example, the rebel sim in my save has the function of pushing my more conservative main sim to do things he normally wouldn't. The socially awkward sim has the function of adding interest and conflict to the storyline by blurting things out that other people won't say.

What are some key childhood and teenage experiences?

What is their woohoo history? Likes and preferences?

What are their hobbies (may or may not be something they can actually do in the game).

Pick a timespan.

My save takes place in the timespan of 1930s-1960s. It is forever and always those 4 decades all mixed together. The buildings, clothing, and social mores all reflect this. (It's pretty easy to do furniture and buildings from the 1900s without having to go and get a lot of cc).

Have them all live in the same town.

I have mine live in Newcrest. One section is residential, one is commercial, and the other mixed. Because of the lack of space in the neighborhoods, I try to give most of my commercial lots at least 2 functions, even if one of them is just for screenshots. For example, your library can also have a plaza in front of it where people can sit and relax.

Not everyone has to have a house. I just stick some of the friends in a random house in another neighborhood to have access to them but never show them in their home. Other characters are homeless.

Give them jobs you can follow them to.

Almost all of my sims are unemployed, but they all have jobs in the neighborhood. I sometimes use clubs to get them to hang out where their job is, or I take them to work at an office I've made, or I have them technically own a retail store but in the story just be the manager there.

Move supporting characters in and out of your sim's main house to complete tasks with them and control them. For example, when my receptionist goes to work, I move some of her coworkers in so I can control them when they're at the office, then I move them out when the work day is done.

Make a list of things you want them to do each season.

Now decide what you want them to do each season, make screenshots, and let their actions and the backstory you did for them guide you in what they would do next.

For example, during winter, I wanted my sims to experience the first snow, go ice skating, exchange gifts on Winterfest morning, and do something with the family on Winterfest.

For each of my seasons, I want to make sure I include something romantic, something with friends, something with family, and something with conflict.

An example of letting the sims' backstory and actions guide you is my character Gavin Todd. I made him as a very minor character to show sexism in the office by being one of my main sim's boss. But then that led to me making a scene with her telling her husband about it when they sat down to dinner, which led to a scene of the husband having a confrontation with the boss in a dark alley, which will lead to more future confrontations. I didn't plan all this, but I let the characters and story dictate the next thing to happen by asking what they'd do in that situation.

It helps to have some basic mods.

MCCC will let you change the weather, season, sim's mood, and all sorts of things, and is super helpful when doing this kind of gameplay. I also like mods that add personality, such as slice of life.

EA didn't make the sims to be "real" enough, which is why I think people get bored with it, so you have to make them real through imagination and storylines in whatever way you want to do that.

You can see my save in action if you search for "Vintage Newcrest" in the Stories and Legacies forum on this board. Start with page 2 (that's when I clued in to using dialogue.) (I can't link directly because I change the title when I update, so the url changes.) Or you can just view it on Tumblr.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    As a family-style player, mods seem to be my way to fix the lack of gameplay which is known for in Sims 4. I played the orginal The Sims base game for 15 solid years without mods, CC, or other packs and was entertained for hours. With Sims 4, I struggle with the lack of desirable gameplay. The newcoming EP is not my style as well. Just waiting for the game to stop being what I view as a terrible. To fix it though, they would have to allow gameplay that has the sims not so tech obsessed and does not preach/force certain agendas. As for the last 3 years, that is pretty much the impression the game has given to me.
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    The memories from Slice of Life work by adding a buff to the emotions. Sims will remember things like their first kiss or the last time they woohooed etc. It happens randomly as your playing. It doesn’t work like in the sims 2 and doesn’t affect relationships in any way.

Great to know, thank you!!
    wamayeli wrote: »
    I'm like you, I can't play for more than an hour at a time. I mostly just build now because live mode is just too boring for me. I have added mods which have helped. If you haven't spent much time building, I suggest you give it a try.

On a positive note, my RL house is much cleaner now than it was when I played Sims 1, 2 and 3.

I've been trying to get into building because I could definitely improve my skills there haha I've debated on fixing all the community lots. Most of them are just so empty and boring when my Sims visit!
    As a family-style player, mods seem to be my way to fix the lack of gameplay which is known for in Sims 4. I played the orginal The Sims base game for 15 solid years without mods, CC, or other packs and was entertained for hours. With Sims 4, I struggle with the lack of desirable gameplay. The newcoming EP is not my style as well. Just waiting for the game to stop being what I view as a terrible. To fix it though, they would have to allow gameplay that has the sims not so tech obsessed and does not preach/force certain agendas. As for the last 3 years, that is pretty much the impression the game has given to me.

I get what you're saying. I've definitely felt the game is becoming rather millennial and while I am included in that group, I definitely don't live a tech heavy millennial lifestyle haha
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Truthfully I've always been a rather vanilla in my games. I know that already sounds boring but that is how I love to play haha I don't tend to try challenges or anything. I love more in depth family gameplay. Watching Sims age up and succeed or fail in life.

I play the same way. I don't tend to play challenges; I just play through their lives.

I don't know if this would suit you but I started my current game with 8 Young Adults at University. I took them all through Uni (some passed, some failed) and then had them get appropriate jobs, move into apartments and get started. Some are now married with children, others are focusing on their careers. I rotate but not to any schedule; I play whoever I feel like playing.

I then took another 8 through and did the same sort of thing. Some of them are now also married and others are just starting careers, or new relationships. I'm now working on my third group of eight.

I've also started creating the families for some of my original students; as in, their parents, siblings etc. This has proven to be a lot of fun and it's meant I can explore different parts of the game with different sims. It's allowed me to bring together all the features I've got with all the packs into one save game and explore them with different sims.

I've also been making extensive use of the Club system which has allowed friendships to be made.

So it's an idea :D It's given me a good bit of in-depth family gameplay so who knows? Maybe it'll help :)<3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    Have you tried finishing the achievements? If you are a completionist you might enjoy that. I just recently remembered that they even existed. Also, completing all the aspirations. Together you can experience a lot of the game you might typically not.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Minx wrote: »
    Have you tried finishing the achievements? If you are a completionist you might enjoy that. I just recently remembered that they even existed. Also, completing all the aspirations. Together you can experience a lot of the game you might typically not.

That kind of play only work for people who play with aging off, and want the young adult super sim types. Family style players needs are not really being met focusing on achievements.
    Minx wrote: »

I think I might try to work through the aspirations. I usually don't pay too much attention to them but I think that is a great way to try things I don't usually do in game.
  • Demicompton1Demicompton1 Posts: 22 Member
    Me either and I never really join the clubs
  • NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    As other people are saying, Mods are the way to go with the Sims 4. It's hard not to get bored with Sims 4 at it's normal, unmodded state. Slice of Life and Meaningful Stories are crucial to fleshing out your sims' personalities and emotions.

I also like to change up my play style from time to time when I get bored. And by that I mean... different storylines! Ever made a sim with divorced parents? Ever made a polyamorous couple? Ever done a Royal Family save; each world being a different kingdom? Ever moved a group of runaway teens into an apartment; each one trying to find themselves through a specific passion? The thing about the sims is that you can create so many different storylines. So try creating something out of your comfort zone, and just let your imagination run wild!
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
    NiaraTiara wrote: »
    As other people are saying, Mods are the way to go with the Sims 4. It's hard not to get bored with Sims 4 at it's normal, unmodded state. Slice of Life and Meaningful Stories are crucial to fleshing out your sims' personalities and emotions.

I also like to change up my play style from time to time when I get bored. And by that I mean... different storylines! Ever made a sim with divorced parents? Ever made a polyamorous couple? Ever done a Royal Family save; each world being a different kingdom? Ever moved a group of runaway teens into an apartment; each one trying to find themselves through a specific passion? The thing about the sims is that you can create so many different storylines. So try creating something out of your comfort zone, and just let your imagination run wild!

I tried that a while ago and had some fun with it. I created a single Sim who lived out of a tent and only made money off painting, woodworking, etc. He had some other Sims join in and they were essentially a big hippie commune. They also had a huge tree in the middle of their lot they worshiped. That's about as far out as I've gone in gameplay haha I had a good time for a while but the excitement of something new wore off quite quickly. I also completed the whole StrangerVille story which was also far out of the norm for me but it was over within a couple hours.

Come to think of it, I've never really explored aliens in any Sims game. Perhaps I need to take a look in that realm...
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I treat Sims4 as a spinoff :D To me, its different...totally different and I don't view it as part of S1,S2, or S3. I couldn't play it very long either and still not happy with the fact they have no souls. I tried several different mods, but since I play Uni all the time, I will just wait and hope they come out with their own story progression, traits and interests that make a difference. If not, I will go back to mods (mods are great for Uni though, oh the drama it causes)! My sim is a serious studier though, no time to party :D

I play in Uni now with aging off in the whole game. When my sim finished college then I turn aging on for the whole game and continue on with her new career. Well, then I make a new sim and send them to college.....can't seem to get away from Uni. I love that pack <3