Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Storytelling but no story mode?

MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
Hi guys,

There is such an emphasis on story telling in TS4, usually in ham-fisted ways, but no mode in the game to record your story. I have to screenshot the game and then... upload the photos somewhere with a caption?

I miss TS2 that had the photo album. I could take photos, capture them and look back on it in game. That way, I could quickly relive the history of my legacy characters to being my up to date when I haven’t played them in a while.

Now I just play through and forget the shallow nonsense. I can’t add meaning to events happening in game. The Sims don’t remember anything that has happened to them, and neither do I.

I’m not going to load my sim game up, play, screenshot throughout, close the game and make a PowerPoint of my game play. I’m not putting it on Tumblr.

How do you guys record your sims history? Do you want a TS2 style photo album?

Comments

• sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    I made a notebook with OneNote and use it as some sort of diary for the sims lol, written as if they had written it and the screenshots I take, I crop them and add to the diary entry like a snapshot sort of. I don't share my stories (if I wanted to I would have to make a blog and upload the screenshots and the writing there) but it's a fun thing to do. It makes my game feel more alive, and the sims come off as actual individuals instead of boring pixels waiting for my input
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    sofasim wrote: »
    I made a notebook with OneNote and use it as some sort of diary for the sims lol, written as if they had written it and the screenshots I take, I crop them and add to the diary entry like a snapshot sort of. I don't share my stories (if I wanted to I would have to make a blog and upload the screenshots and the writing there) but it's a fun thing to do. It makes my game feel more alive, and the sims come off as actual individuals instead of boring pixels waiting for my input

I would love to see it! Is it alright if we can see only like one page? I am curious how you did it :)
    sure @TS1299 but I'm not sure I can find the time this weekend, have lots of uni stuff to do for monday -.-
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I don't play that many sims so I usually remember what happened to them, at least the main events. Sometimes I take pictures to display around the house, so that helps to sort of keep memories, for me at least. Would be nice to have a family album, or a scrapbook, where we could add different pictures. Or maybe several albums to keep pictures separated by events, or sims. There are the electronic picture frames, but it's not possible to scale them up so they don't work great as a sort of album.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited May 2020
    I use the screenshot manager with captions. I have a screenshot folder on my desktop to store them when I move on to a new family. The game is lacking a story mode editor or something to write drama into the game. I would love to share my stories with others without using external programs. A story mode gallery of some sort.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    I make a lot of screenshots and get involved in my sims' lives. But story telling through gameplay is not for me. My stories are their own things.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.

@TS1299 ok, so here is an example of a page (had to screenshot it).

EFtyplq.jpg

I use collage maker to make mini collages, because I just can't be bothered upgrading my non-existant photoshop skills lol. It's mostly about writing for me and I take more pictures than I actually use. The idea is, this is supposed to look like a diary, so left side is text and pictures would be on the right, if at all. I work on an iPad so this layout works best when I want to read in that diary. Sometimes, like in this case, I use my pen to scribble something in, to give it a more personal touch. I have my apps in darkmode so background is automatically black, text in white.

In general the way I add screenshots depends on the type of sim/story. I have a sim who uses zero pictures, then this one who only uses pictures from her "most memorable moments"... Some pages look better than others but makes it a tad realistic to not go overboard with the editing
  • ButterfreeguyButterfreeguy Posts: 633 Member
    I upload my Sims to the gallery regularly and write what is new since the last time I uploaded them. I remove the older version and thus, I can always remember the current events my Sims have gone through.

If you want to download my Sims, look up Butterfreeguy in the gallery!!
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    A story mode is something that i'ld love and i think is really missing. Or at least some place where i could write a bio for each sim and export. And exportable family tree too.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I miss the photo albums too. I sometimes make blogposts of my game. I don't think many people read my blog, but they're nice memories for myself at least. The problem is I take so much screenshots that it's always a chore to compile a story post out of them and also because I'm a bit of a pefectionist when publishing something.