This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

THE one & only 'Eco lifestyle' complaining thread

Comments

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited June 2020
    NoTalent wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    So, I saw on SimsVips that one of the rewards for one of the new aspirations is being able to shun someone...

"The reward for being a good Eco Innovator is getting some new powerful socials like being able to shun someone or promote someone as a cool person.”

I can't be the only one who was put off by that, right? First of all, why is it that being a good eco innovator (whatever that means) would give you the right to shun someone? I'm getting really annoyed by this pack pushing this mentality that sims who are into the eco life are superior to others who aren't.
    That is a bummer. I hate that about Supernaturals too how they are shunned too by other Sims just for being themselves. The celebrity system does that too, so it isn't an exactly new thing to the Sims 4. Like eco Sims can now shun back at celebrity Sims is kind of comical. I might try it out with my Supernatural Sims too.

How are supernatural shunned ?

A lot of Townies have negative reactions upon finding out somebody's an occult. Right now Vampires are significant but they can get weird about Mermaids sometimes too.

I honestly quite like that Occult Sims may be reacted to negatively. I think that, depending on whether the Sim in question is a fan of the Occult, it should always be negative until they have experience. For example, a Sim may become afraid or terrified if they see a vampire do vampire things. However, if they have a trait or whatever that they love the Occult, then they will become happy.

I honestly feel like it should be amped up a lot more and gossip spreads. I would love if you could be accused of being a vampire and then you can go and stand out in the sun, proving you’re not. Some people should just hate you for no reason at all, no matter how much you interact with them. Sims react with disgusting for a split-second and then stop caring, they forget. I hate that.

The Sims has series has turned into everyone being happy, no sadness or unpleasant experiences, and all-inclusive that it’s lost its charm. There is very little storytelling elements. I was hoping with witches and wizards – excuse me, spell casters – that people would be shocked at magic and talk about it, but no one cares. Mermaids, too. Like, it’s a mermaid! How are you not freaking out? Naturally, if I saw any of these in real life, I’d be shocked and excited, due to loving the paranormal, yet I have friends who would be terrified and some who would be disgusted.

All this is overlooked because people get upset that another Sim dislikes their Sim. I just cannot grasp it.

I really hope the pro-environment Sims react poorly to my Sim that is corrupting the town. If I am proverbially fighting against them, they better hate me.

To add on, in sims 2, only sims with the knowledge and pleasure aspirations wanted anything to do with the occult. They were feared by everyone else.

It makes sense too. Knowledge sims could recgonize that there wasn't anything bad about these sims, and we could learn a lot from them.

Pleasure sims just want to live life the best they can, and what better way than partying the immortal night away or casting spells on your enemies?

Sims expanded it a bit too, you could be publically shamed for hooking up with an occult.

The existance of magical creatures are a known thing to sims, but they're very rare and shunned.

I think it'd be like that IRL too, humans ostracize what they don't understand.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    edited June 2020
    So, I saw on SimsVips that one of the rewards for one of the new aspirations is being able to shun someone...

"The reward for being a good Eco Innovator is getting some new powerful socials like being able to shun someone or promote someone as a cool person.”

I can't be the only one who was put off by that, right? First of all, why is it that being a good eco innovator (whatever that means) would give you the right to shun someone? I'm getting really annoyed by this pack pushing this mentality that sims who are into the eco life are superior to others who aren't.
    That is a bummer. I hate that about Supernaturals too how they are shunned too by other Sims just for being themselves. The celebrity system does that too, so it isn't an exactly new thing to the Sims 4. Like eco Sims can now shun back at celebrity Sims is kind of comical. I might try it out with my Supernatural Sims too.

A lot of Townies have negative reactions upon finding out somebody's an occult. Right now Vampires are significant but they can get weird about Mermaids sometimes too.

I honestly quite like that Occult Sims may be reacted to negatively. I think that, depending on whether the Sim in question is a fan of the Occult, it should always be negative until they have experience. For example, a Sim may become afraid or terrified if they see a vampire do vampire things. However, if they have a trait or whatever that they love the Occult, then they will become happy.

I honestly feel like it should be amped up a lot more and gossip spreads. I would love if you could be accused of being a vampire and then you can go and stand out in the sun, proving you’re not. Some people should just hate you for no reason at all, no matter how much you interact with them. Sims react with disgusting for a split-second and then stop caring, they forget. I hate that.

The Sims has series has turned into everyone being happy, no sadness or unpleasant experiences, and all-inclusive that it’s lost its charm. There is very little storytelling elements. I was hoping with witches and wizards – excuse me, spell casters – that people would be shocked at magic and talk about it, but no one cares. Mermaids, too. Like, it’s a mermaid! How are you not freaking out? Naturally, if I saw any of these in real life, I’d be shocked and excited, due to loving the paranormal, yet I have friends who would be terrified and some who would be disgusted.

All this is overlooked because people get upset that another Sim dislikes their Sim. I just cannot grasp it.

I really hope the pro-environment Sims react poorly to my Sim that is corrupting the town. If I am proverbially fighting against them, they better hate me.

To add on, in sims 2, only sims with the knowledge and pleasure aspirations wanted anything to do with the occult. They were feared by everyone else.

It makes sense too. Knowledge sims could recgonize that there wasn't anything bad about these sims, and we could learn a lot from them.

Pleasure sims just want to live life the best they can, and what better way than partying the immortal night away or casting spells on your enemies?

Sims expanded it a bit too, you could be publically shamed for hooking up with an occult.

The existance of magical creatures are a known thing to sims, but they're very rare and shunned.

I think it'd be like that IRL too, humans ostracize what they don't understand.

That sort of stereotyping has drawbacks. What if you don't agree with the decisions made on which traits should like or dislike a certain thing? For example, the decision for vegetarians to be disgusted by the meat wall. There's the argument that any kind of meat should be disgusting to vegetarians, but there's also the argument that some vegetarians are fine with the meat wall because they know it's not real meat. In terms of a gameplay mechanic, this means that there would be a need to distinguish between sims on either side, or one side will be missing out, which would mean not using the trait at all. For another example, what if a knowledge sim wants to accept some occults but not others, like vampires are fine, but zombies are not? You'll have to make a decision on which parts of your story you want to compromise to fit the trait's mechanics.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Honestly I was going to skip the EP because I felt if I don't play why waste the money but now that I have been playing again I am looking forward to the EP.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,591 Member

Yeah, this would be great and make a lot of sense....if we actually had Fear in the game. And that's my major issue with the reactions. That it's merely a relationship drop. Sims should possess a Fear emotion and be able to be afraid of Occults.

Bottom line is, we need real Fear in the game.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Agreed they might add it someday they didn't really get the chance to add a lot of things in the game because of how things were rushed out I mean they didn't even get to add toddlers and ghosts in the beginning and the name that have pools that's what you call being rushed out in a big way which is why I'm hoping they take their sweet time with Sims 5
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    I am seriously conflicted about this pack. I watched the 'English Simmer' do a 40 minute breakdown of this pack on YouTube. Eating bugs as an alternative to meat, Dumpster diving, Dumpster WooHoo,[disgusting] Death by flies, a recycling trait where sims obsessively need to recycle at least once a day, green neighborhood action plans, free love?? I came away so unimpressed and even more confused...I've bought every pack so far but I'm struggling with this one. It feels like a reskin of 'Island Living' and I don't want my sim being an eco-warrior. I certainly don't want my sim eating bugs, making fizzy juice, candles and dumpster diving. It's like real world politics have invaded my game...we have enough of this eco activism in the real world...I don't want it in my game world too, this is my escape!
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited June 2020
    I am seriously conflicted about this pack. I watched the 'English Simmer' do a 40 minute breakdown of this pack on YouTube. Eating bugs as an alternative to meat, Dumpster diving, Dumpster WooHoo,[disgusting] Death by flies, a recycling trait where sims obsessively need to recycle at least once a day, green neighborhood action plans, free love?? I came away so unimpressed and even more confused...I've bought every pack so far but I'm struggling with this one. It feels like a reskin of 'Island Living' and I don't want my sim being an eco-warrior. I certainly don't want my sim eating bugs, making fizzy juice, candles and dumpster diving. It's like real world politics have invaded my game...we have enough of this eco activism in the real world...I don't want it in my game world too, this is my escape!

I definitely disagree that it’s a re-release of Island Living, but for the rest, if you feel so strongly you shouldn’t get it. Why bother wasting money ya know.
    Post edited by AquaGamer1212 on
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    I'm conflicted...I'm struggling with the urge to buy or not to buy...I was hoping for some advice, some informed direction or information that would benefit me. But no, [I should expect this from the Official Sims Forums] I get nothing but a 'defensive' comment about why I shouldn't buy the pack. I agree it's not a reskin of 'Island Living' but it's definitely an expansion of 'Island Living' taking the whole eco-activism to the next level. But it isn't fun! It's busywork, it's like doing chores around the house...wash the dishes, put out the garbage, clean the bathroom...add in the dumpster WooHoo, the bug eating and recycling obsession and there's nothing here but chores and busywork. My opinion...I haven't bought the pack but I am still allowed an opinion without being shot down in flames.
  • Options
    Actually, now that I think about it...'Island Living' and 'Eco Living' could have easily existed as one decent sized expansion pack. But there's no profit to be made in such ridiculous ideas.
  • Options
    TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    I'm conflicted...I'm struggling with the urge to buy or not to buy...I was hoping for some advice, some informed direction or information that would benefit me. But no, [I should expect this from the Official Sims Forums] I get nothing but a 'defensive' comment about why I shouldn't buy the pack. I agree it's not a reskin of 'Island Living' but it's definitely an expansion of 'Island Living' taking the whole eco-activism to the next level. But it isn't fun! It's busywork, it's like doing chores around the house...wash the dishes, put out the garbage, clean the bathroom...add in the dumpster WooHoo, the bug eating and recycling obsession and there's nothing here but chores and busywork. My opinion...I haven't bought the pack but I am still allowed an opinion without being shot down in flames.

No one is shooting down your opinion or being defensive and saying not to buy it just because. From what you said previously, you already have strong feelings against it. The post you made after this one also says that. Which honestly, that person is right. Since you feel so strongly against it, then why bother wasting your money on it.
  • Options
    Because no-one discusses anything...you're either a believer or a sinner...there's a serious defensive block going on with this community. I'm not a hater, I've bought every pack so far. I've played in excess of 10,000 hours of this game. I'm not the enemy but I have issues with this expansion pack and that should be allowed 'airplay'...
  • Options
    But hey! Don't be negative! Be an EA Game Changer...and be thankful!
  • Options
    I mean this is the 'complaining' thread isn't it? So I'm meeting the criteria right? And I'm being nullified.
  • Options
    This game will never change for the better, whilst people defend EA indiscriminately. There is a hardcore fanbase within this forum, who will defend EA until the bitter end...no matter what they do! Dare criticise EA and you will be destroyed. I don't hate EA in any way but I am unsure about this latest expansion pack...so I express it in the proper 'thread' and get criticized.
  • Options
    Healthy debate for the win!...changing hearts and minds since...never!
  • Options
    TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    I'm not a hater either. I've played this far more than I've played TS3. It's just simply one pointing out that if you already have strong negative feelings towards the pack. You're more than likely not going to enjoy it. Nothing about it seems to interest you. If the core features of the pack doesn't interest you..well you already answered your own question.

Not sure if you're having a bad say or something. But you're really acting a bit hostile here.
  • Options
    Twicelikey wrote: »
    I'm not a hater either. I've played this far more than I've played TS3. It's just simply one pointing out that if you already have strong negative feelings towards the pack. You're more than likely not going to enjoy it. Nothing about it seems to interest you. If the core features of the pack doesn't interest you..well you already answered your own question.

Not sure if you're having a bad say or something. But you're really acting a bit hostile here.

And you are closing me down. Your definitely not promoting the pack...I've already stated I'm on the fence and all I get is the same defensive 'don't like it don't buy it'...no discussion, no interaction of ideas...nothing! You know I shouldn't expect too much from the official EA forum. I know it's all regulated. I'm not being hostile...I am frustrated at the lack of interaction and opinion and discussion. And now you are making me sound like 'the bad one', 'the hostile one'. Grow up!
  • Options
    By the way...why are you on the 'Eco Lifestyle Complaining Thread'? Are you an EA employee? You clearly aren't here to complain...so why are you here?
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 710 Member
    I was against this pack when it was announced. It just looked so utterly boring and pointless. After the second trailer I started doubting and now after seeing people play it and praise it I gave it a try and I actually enjoy it.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    By the way...why are you on the 'Eco Lifestyle Complaining Thread'? Are you an EA employee? You clearly aren't here to complain...so why are you here?

I don't quite understand why you are here either? You came to a complaining thread about a pack to look for reasons to justify you to buy the pack? You had a list of reasons why not but looking to a complaining thread for the why you should seems like a strange place to me, considering these people don't want to buy the pack either?

I'm sorry but I don't think you will find any simmers promoting the pack on this thread. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    [Last post]...I love Sims 4. I have had thousands of hours of enjoyment from it and hopefully, thousands more. However, every pack gets released as a demo to the 'Game Changers' on YouTube and whilst they say they don't get paid [truth], there channel benefits greatly from the 'demo' release via subscriptions, likes and positive reactions. It's all so controlled. The forums are the only places to communicate the truth and our feelings about each pack...until we get shot down in flames and get told to like or lump it. As soon as someone like myself emerges with even an ounce of negativity, I am shot down, or made to look threatening, or foolish...why not just humiliate me for my negativity?
    Anyway, no I'm not having a bad day at all...far from it. I am disappointed in the reaction to my comments though. Off to play some Sims 4!
  • Options
    Icewolf wrote: »
    I was against this pack when it was announced. It just looked so utterly boring and pointless. After the second trailer I started doubting and now after seeing people play it and praise it I gave it a try and I actually enjoy it.

Enjoy it!
  • Options
    Camkat wrote: »

I don't quite understand why you are here either? You came to a complaining thread about a pack to look for reasons to justify you to buy the pack? You had a list of reasons why not but looking to a complaining thread for the why you should seems like a strange place to me, considering these people don't want to buy the pack either?

I'm sorry but I don't think you will find any simmers promoting the pack on this thread. :/

I've met a few already on this thread who would disagree with that...possibly including you?
  • Options
    No freedom of speech, no freedom of expression or ideas unless they are all happy, positive, empowering...don't criticize the game, it's you that's wrong. I get it.
  • Options
    But I am happy to be wrong and be honest with myself and see the world as I see it and not through someone else's eyes. My journey is not someone else's journey and I'm happy with that. What I've written today are my thoughts and opinions, not someone else's...so I end the 'discussion' :)