This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

THE one & only 'Eco lifestyle' complaining thread

Comments

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited May 2020
    CelSims wrote: »
    jimbbq wrote: »
    telmarina wrote: »
    Why no rubbish in other worlds. That’s the main thing I am not happy about after the livestream.

This is my complain too 😭

They can spawn leaves in autumn why not recycle this mechanics to spawn trash. Sad

They can. And do you know how many very disgruntled simmers there would be? People with worlds they have spent years rebuilding and populating would not be happy.

There is a lot trait you can add to make a lot trashy. Apply it to every lot if you wish.

I have been thinking how this will work... will we be able to apply it to commercial and residential lots from non played sims and even not playing or visiting those places if it'll spawn trash anyway... i hope so... this is a gamrle changer for me. I'll be a little sad if it doesn't...
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    For me, the disappointment is because it won't appear outside of Lots. I know we can use the Lot trait, but it would have been nice to have had the trash around the worlds too, eg. the Spice District in San Myshuno would have been perfect for it to appear around the back streets and even in the main area where the basketball is.

Exactly. I primarily use San Myshuno, and adding a lot trait won't do me any good if the trash only appears inside of my sim's apartment. I can build up trash piles inside already.

I think anyone disappointed by this will want to see trash in/around the streets and public spaces, and no lot trait will work for that.

Exactly!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,556 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    For me, the disappointment is because it won't appear outside of Lots. I know we can use the Lot trait, but it would have been nice to have had the trash around the worlds too, eg. the Spice District in San Myshuno would have been perfect for it to appear around the back streets and even in the main area where the basketball is.

Exactly. I primarily use San Myshuno, and adding a lot trait won't do me any good if the trash only appears inside of my sim's apartment. I can build up trash piles inside already.

I think anyone disappointed by this will want to see trash in/around the streets and public spaces, and no lot trait will work for that.

Exactly!

I also wish we had the ability to trash our entire worlds but until that happens you might want to consider this mod.
    TOOL by Twisted Mex. It was last updated in November for Discover University so you might have to wait for a new updated version.
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/t-o-o-l-11-15-31592360
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrmwNNlnRo
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Hey, am I the only one who can't stand the new sim Knox find him annoying? He has such a punchable face ...But don't have to worry not getting the pack...
    Just throwing that out there xD

Haha, yes. I did not think it was funny either how pushy he was with his vision. It just completes my annoyance for him and his stereotypical hipster look :D
  • Options
    MagicWatermelonMagicWatermelon Posts: 3 New Member
    I am glad to see apartments make a return in the pack, but it brings up a couple frustrations for me.

One, if they had the capability to mix apartments with traditional houses in new worlds, they really should have done that in Del Sol Valley. I live in LA and suburban apartments like the ones from EH are EVERYWHERE. It just compounds my disappointment with the decision to not add apartments previously in Get Famous when this would have made so much sense and added capacity to that world which is impractically small.

Two, this could have been a really great opportunity to revamp apartments. Overwhelmingly, I think people want to be able to create their own apartments and perhaps they could have worked on this feature for release with the new pack. Or at the very least, they could have made a better way to share partments on the gallery, like an apartment search along with lots, households, and rooms. Currently apartments have to be shared by deleting walls for each room to make it one big "room", or by sharing/downloading each room separately. As someone who likes to download apartments rather than build them, it is nearly impossible to find apartments on the gallery with the features I want (for example, a toddler bedroom), because the creators have to share the apartment as a "room" so there are no close up views of the individual rooms within the apartment. Even a simple update to the gallery to allow apartments to be shared as a separate category, and to allow close-ups of each room would have been amazing, and I am disappointed that the new apartments in the new pack still won't be able to be shared in a way that is easy and practical.

Also in relation to past packs, if this new pack was in the works since the Laundry Day vote, I don't understand why we got the half baked off-the-grid attempt in Island Living. Either they should have left that out to come in full force with Eco Lifestyle (enabling them to focus on adding alternate content to IL to make it worth EP status), or they should have fully fleshed out the off-the-grid feature with new gameplay items specific to Island Living (like working wells perhaps or a desalinization system) and made sure that base game items that made sense to be off the grid (the crafted bathtub???) were tagged as such. It is GREAT to see the new base game update will have a catalog sort of off the grid items, but if more off the grid was coming, why did we get this poorly executed feature with IL in the first place other than a shallow attempt to make what should have been a game pack into a more expensive EP?

I read a comment on youtube as well that Tiny Living is the MFPS of the EL expansion, but they tried to avoid the backlash by releasing the stuff pack first. I thought it was an interesting assessment many here would agree with.

I am glad the new pack is shaping out to be more robust than it was initially portrayed (yes that was bad marketing, they could have easily shown the new pollution in our old worlds as part of the trailer), but I think there is still validity to the initial reaction to this pack in that features from other packs, especially from Tiny Living and Island Living, should have been a part of Eco Lifestyle all as one instead of parceled out piecemeal. To me, the way this content was rolled out shows either that there is no real longterm timeline for the Sims 4 packs (nor for making sure content is cohesive and complete prior to release) or that EA is, as many have complained, deliberately holding back content to release piece by piece for more money.

I am gonna hope that it is the first one, which is still disappointing, but it is probably the second. :/
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    first
    strangerville,
    then
    island living,
    now this.

can't see them ever changing at this point lol

Not to mention I think the gamepack is an winter resort thing ;-; 2020 is SO not The Sims year for me.

yeah :#
    seems so. like 2019 wasn't either :#

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,105 Member
    I was browsing this thread and it looks like the smog won't be that noticeable? I hope it'll actually be worse than what people have seen so far, because the only reason I want this pack is to have really grungy worlds.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,396 Member
    edited May 2020
    Hey, am I the only one who can't stand the new sim Knox find him annoying? He has such a punchable face ...But don't have to worry not getting the pack...

Haha, yes. I did not think it was funny either how pushy he was with his vision. It just completes my annoyance for him and his stereotypical hipster look :D
    He reminds of me of those people you seen online.You know those ones who shame people for eating meat and using plastic straws ?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,556 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I was browsing this thread and it looks like the smog won't be that noticeable? I hope it'll actually be worse than what people have seen so far, because the only reason I want this pack is to have really grungy worlds.

You may want to wait until after the pack is released and players have had a chance to see how grungy it actually gets.
  • Options
    YunaYuna Posts: 231 Member
    Tbh the only major complain I got at the moment is the fact that we have to wait ~ 2 weeks for playing the game. so jealous of the GameChangers :s:p
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I really wish they had made a second windmill object or solar panel object that looked less modern. I want these things because I've already been working on an off the grid world for some time now, but they just don't fit the style. Something made of wood or stone would be perfect. If the object does the exact same thing, why can't the look of it be changed.
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    If I heard correctly during the stream, trash won't appear in any worlds but Evergreen - only smog, sunlight rays and the aurora. Which is a huge missed opportunity. They can make leaf piles and snow piles appear in all worlds so why not trash?

Also, 3 male hairs compared to at least 10 female hairs?

WHAT? I was hope for trash... Ok, this is so disapointed :(
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited May 2020

He reminds of me of those people you seen online.You know those ones who shame people for eating meat and using plastic straws ?

Extremists :)

All the jokes aside though, I haven't really grown interest in this pack after the day of the stream. It actually went back downwards again and especially when I see these classic disappointments popping up here and there that are just missed chances. It still is just not interesting enough. The subject of the pack itself is just.. no.
    I also can't help but feel they only gave us some 'big' update changes, because of a competing game in the making. I don't feel it has any intention of love and care for the community.
    Still annoyed by the fireman without a fire truck, lack of CAS items for other stages or male characters and just the overall focus on YA again.
    Post edited by FurSimsOfficial on
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020

I secretly think he reminds me of how someone was trying to protest during the livestream and then got upset because other people didn't want to join the bandwagon. Kind of like a representation of an underdog. Actually have a lot of people like Knox that were trying to protest for unemployment at my work. Like how people get mad at Tom Nook too. Knox is anti-consumerism and I kind of like that about him since he is the opposite of the business woman in the town. It is like how people hate Vlad too while I am drawn to him being another underdog. Very fitting with his name because it reminds me of this song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bOH8ABpco

Plastic straws aren't actually used anymore in the Northwest. You have to ask for them. But yes that meat wall isn't real meat and reminds me of the beyond burgers. Fitting since farmers do grow plants including peas that make up those vegan meats.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,046 Member
    Apparently the green footprint system isn't tied to the trash at all. The trash in Evergreen is tied to specific NAPs that you can only vote for there. So basically you can vote to 'clean up' the streets in Evergreen and remove the trash, but it has nothing to do with pollution. I think there are both pros and cons with that. Maybe they could have done a system where the user decides if trash should be present in every neighborhood or not, but that would probably be too complicated for a lot of people, although i would've loved it personally. I think it's probably an instance where the difficulty of the engine comes into play - not to say they couldn't have solved it, but at what cost? Would all previous saves be unplayable? Probably would take a lot more time and resources than the devs have - not making excuses for EA though, they definitely could give the devs more resources and help to fix that stuff, but obviously they didn't.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    They have done it in seasons. Adding new layers of flowers and leaves and grass and snow. They even change the trees and bushes depending on seasons. For all worlds. They can easily use this weather system to make trees look more dead and street filled with layers of trash depending on pollution level. But they didn’t. It is corner cutting.
  • Options
    They have done it in seasons. Adding new layers of flowers and leaves and grass and snow. They even change the trees and bushes depending on seasons. For all worlds. They can easily use this weather system to make trees look more dead and street filled with layers of trash depending on pollution level. But they didn’t. It is corner cutting.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,559 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Apparently the green footprint system isn't tied to the trash at all. The trash in Evergreen is tied to specific NAPs that you can only vote for there. So basically you can vote to 'clean up' the streets in Evergreen and remove the trash, but it has nothing to do with pollution. I think there are both pros and cons with that. Maybe they could have done a system where the user decides if trash should be present in every neighborhood or not, but that would probably be too complicated for a lot of people, although i would've loved it personally. I think it's probably an instance where the difficulty of the engine comes into play - not to say they couldn't have solved it, but at what cost? Would all previous saves be unplayable? Probably would take a lot more time and resources than the devs have - not making excuses for EA though, they definitely could give the devs more resources and help to fix that stuff, but obviously they didn't.

It's also tied to the materials you use to build your lots and what energy devices you use for power and water.
    If you are launching rockets in your backyard, that contributes to pollution as well.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,046 Member
    I believe you are correct that they're using the seasons changing feature as a blueprint for the smog changes, including the acid rain.
    The cleaning up trash in Evergreen is a bit more complicated than that, although I guess they could have done a version of cleaning up that would be present in worlds like Willow creek. The environment improvement in Evergreen is doing more than cleaning up trash, it's also upgrading the buildings and adding greenery. It's basically the Community space lot but for the entire neighborhood.

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    DoritoEvieDoritoEvie Posts: 1,887 Member
    I wish they'd done more with Plant Sims. Kind of miss them adding an occult in different expansion packs. As far as I remember, The Sims 2 had a new occult in almost every expac. Aliens in base, Werewolves in Pets, Plant Sims in Seasons, Vampires in Nightlife, Witches in Apartment Life... etc...

To me, Eco-Living feels more like a gamepack and doesn't quite justify the £35 price tag. I see that they added a lot of different things, but in comparison to previous' titles EPs, it just feels really empty and lackluster. Wonder whether this is due to a lack of funding or something else..
    tumblr_nbwr2zn6951qhv4h7o8_250.giftumblr_mg2bcqeUgc1rthmb0o1_500.gif

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,092 Member
    I think that Meat Wall means there will be recipies actively requiring meat (like some recipies require fish).

I think it's meat-meat, otherwise it'd be vegetarian-safe. I'm alergic to Quorn anyway.
    Every time a pack comes out, I upgrade my Special Project.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,791 Member
    edited May 2020
    Akl500P wrote: »
    somewhsome wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    I just watched James Turner's video and he changed the eco footprint in the neighborhood go from polluted to neutral by playing for 20 minutes with one sim. I had hoped for more of a challenge.

And he wasn't even trying to, he was just living on an empty lot lol.
    Yeah, really not enough challenge.

If it makes y’all feel better deligracy played in the green neighborhood and turned it neutral in 20 mins without trying. I think James playing on an empty lot may have contributed to it as nothing he was doing was actively causing pollution or damaging the environment. I think it will be harder when he gets more items and you can actively cause pollution with certain items. Here’s hoping at least.

James asked SimGuruGeorge on twitter why his neighborhood went from polluted to neutral when he was not doing anything and the response he got was "I think the three default lots in that world are green by default. They are all improving the footprint without you doing any changes."

So players that want their neighborhoods to be industrial and polluted probably have to change those lots that are too green or neutral. I don't know how you make a lot more industrial though, do you have to use lot traits or neighborhood action plans or do you need to have high bills and use expensive items?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,591 Member
    So, I saw on SimsVips that one of the rewards for one of the new aspirations is being able to shun someone...

"The reward for being a good Eco Innovator is getting some new powerful socials like being able to shun someone or promote someone as a cool person.”

I can't be the only one who was put off by that, right? First of all, why is it that being a good eco innovator (whatever that means) would give you the right to shun someone? I'm getting really annoyed by this pack pushing this mentality that sims who are into the eco life are superior to others who aren't.

Ew. I didn't know about that. Devs, leave out the agendas, please.

I mean, why can't all Sims have access to those interactions? Why is it tied to being Eco conscious?

For example, that would have been neat to give to Vlad. The ability to shun vampires he doesn't deem worthy or accept others into his circle.

Or for Judith Ward to do to other actors.

Or for the Gossip Committee of moms.

Seriously missed opportunity for better general Sim gameplay.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    @Aine i am happy to just have trash. Upgrading fake houses is a bit too much work so it is ok. I just want trash spawn everywhere when the eco level is low. Not just smog.