This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

THE one & only 'Eco lifestyle' complaining thread

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I don't think it is vegan. I think it really is meat.

At least it isn't like that BBQ baby mod. I can actually stomach this and I am someone who can't stomach blood in games. But then again I'm not vegan. I am just dairy free and red meat free and gluten free, so yes I wouldn't eat this myself since it is red meat.

but @Scobre if its real meat whats it doing in that thing
    It is saying Moisturize me like Doctor Who:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q75igh4TXw8
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Are they really going to start the war between vegan and non-vegan? If this is meat grown in a lab for 'their better world', sorry, but please, go away with it. I will feel attacked.
    Do not start promoting man made unnatural 'solutions' and act like it is the way of living the best life for nature and the way of saving the world. It is not. But then again, I might be wrong about this theory of this weird looking meat thing. Let's see what it is all about.

Btw, it is nothing against people who find meat replacements in their daily life, I totally get that, I do it too from time to time and I agree that animal mass production that usually goes paired with animal cruelty is a big cause. I respect the choice of non-meat eaters, but if this is really what I think it is, It feels kind of pushy to think a certain way.

Just wanted to share a thought on it, but again, I have no idea what this thing is, so I will have to wait and see to make any further statements.

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I don't think it is vegan. I think it really is meat.

At least it isn't like that BBQ baby mod. I can actually stomach this and I am someone who can't stomach blood in games. But then again I'm not vegan. I am just dairy free and red meat free and gluten free, so yes I wouldn't eat this myself since it is red meat.

but @Scobre if its real meat whats it doing in that thing
    It is saying Moisturize me like Doctor Who:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q75igh4TXw8

lol I saw that episode @Scobre
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,591 Member
    Never mind the facon. I'd rather they'd put in Soylent Green. Now THAT'S eco living. >:)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Never mind the facon. I'd rather they'd put in Soylent Green. Now THAT'S eco living. >:)

I'm sure a moder will do that @LiELF
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I'm not even vegan yet that "meat wall" scares me.

Not what I thought would be added in the pack....

Is that even a thing irl? A meat wall?
    I feel like I don't want to and shouldn't Google that, lol.

Same, I'm not a vegan, far from it in fact. I love myself a good piece of steak or a nice slice of fish. But that meat wall...has to be the most disturbing thing I've seen in the sims that isn't a mod...Yikes!
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    Octavie88Octavie88 Posts: 140 Member
    edited May 2020
    I have to say...I like the meat wall. Gonna pretend it's sim meat and make [reference removed by EA_Mai - let's keep the topic safe for the younger Simmers]. But I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a plant based meat "substitute". I'm not sure if making it a wall that sims just carve from was the best idea visually
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I hope it is beyond meat like lab grown meat.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    The only thing I really find disturbing about the meat/non-meat wall is that it's not refrigerated? At least it doesn't appear to be. I'm a meat eater so I'm not sure what consequences there are for eating non-refrigerated imitation meat but as for if it's real meat... would anyone like a side of e-coli with that? :D but ew....

I'm still interested to learn more about it.

I've also got to say, that since it's been confirmed that there's toggles and pollution affecting all livable worlds (minus Strangerville), my original complaint about it being more like a game pack and only being worth 1/2 price is nil now.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    rottmeisterrottmeister Posts: 192 Member
    > @Camkat said:

> I've also got to say, that since it's been confirmed that there's toggles and pollution affecting all livable worlds (minus Strangerville), my original complaint about it being more like a game pack and only being worth 1/2 price is nil now.

Let's hope the worlds will be affected as much as Evergreen Harbor. I just have a gut feeling that the other worlds will just get polluted air if Evergreen Harbor is a mess/polluted.

Hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see what some of the already existing worlds would like like if they were polluted.

I might even consider getting the pack if that's the case. Might change up all the worlds by adding eco styled homes after the pollution is gone.
    Yes, "add" because I can't build :D
    I did make a store by myself pretty recently. It's not great, but by my standards it is XP
    Wish I could share pictures, but I'm not a full member yet.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I don‘t hate it which is surprising because I hate most other packs. I like that we finally get a world that isn‘t all green and perfect. Sometimes I like to play poor, illegal substance abusing sims and download slum lots from the gallery but when I place them in the world it just doesn‘t fit because everything around the lot looks upper class. I know that the intention of EL is to clean up the world but I‘m going to keep it dirty.

I also like to play self sustaining sims so candle making, food canning and preserving, nectar making, upcycling, solar panels, etc. come in handy.

To those saying that pollution will only affect the new world are wrong:

Something that bugged me though is the recycling and rehashing of animations and objects. When I watched the trailer I was like „We already have that“ every five seconds. EA is a multi billion company, The Sims is one of the best-selling video game franchises in history. Can they really not afford to give us new things in a $40 Expansion Pack? Where is all our money going?

I really get Game Pack vibes from Eco Lifestyle. Maybe if Tiny Living was included in EL it would be worth Expansion Pack money but EL alone? No.

logion wrote: »
    Getting an entire neighbourhood to be eco-friendly and improving the environment must be really difficult, we have to get people on our side, build neighborhoods that makes it easier to use bikes or buses, convince industries to not release as much pollution, eat less meat, set larger goals to improve the environment...

40evdt.gif

...or we could just create a magical gun that removes pollution.

I'm sorry, I cannot get over just how absurd that thing is.

@logion hey at least they got to use that Uni repo man animation again....also probably the same animation that will be used as the Happy Haunts grim reaper that people want so bad.
    This animation is already in the base game. I think it was part of the gardening overhaul.
    TS4_x64-2018-06-20-02-05-37-15.jpg
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,660 Member
    edited May 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Are they really going to start the war between vegan and non-vegan? If this is meat grown in a lab for 'their better world', sorry, but please, go away with it. I will feel attacked.
    Do not start promoting man made unnatural 'solutions' and act like it is the way of living the best life for nature and the way of saving the world. It is not. But then again, I might be wrong about this theory of this weird looking meat thing. Let's see what it is all about.

Btw, it is nothing against people who find meat replacements in their daily life, I totally get that, I do it too from time to time and I agree that animal mass production that usually goes paired with animal cruelty is a big cause. I respect the choice of non-meat eaters, but if this is really what I think it is, It feels kind of pushy to think a certain way.

Just wanted to share a thought on it, but again, I have no idea what this thing is, so I will have to wait and see to make any further statements.

Without going too political or defending their choices .... Yes, it absolutely is. Especially if people want to continue eating things that taste exactly like meat.

Anyone denying that the meat industry is a major threat to the well-being of our planet and especially our forests is just willfully blind.

And I say this as a person that loves and eats meat. So take that as you will.

Maybe read my last part again before commenting against what I said. I think you missed the point. It is more about forcing a view on people.

Including things isn't the same as forcing a view on you though. This is just more of them "following the trends" - for better or worse. There's a growing number of vegetarians and people consicous of their impact on the environment, it makes sense for them to create content around that stuff. No matter how you look at it, the sims has always been full of cultural references.

If they can include things like a social media and freelancer careers, robotics, and headscarves why not this? If it is lab-grown meat it's just another reference to something that actually exists. I don't feel forced to use any of that stuff just cause it's there though. And yeah, whether I like the pack or theme or not, I do want the games to continue evolving alongside society. At some point the cultural references of the old games simply won't resonate with a large majority of their players anymore, and that's fine.

That being said, I love what others have said about being able to push the world in the opposite direction by playing an anti-environmentalist or evil genius. That's a more valid criticism than another anti-SJW rant (kinda tired of this in the gaming world - the world is changing, guess we just need to deal xD).
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    what the plum is that meat thingy - ewwww disgusting

agreed, yuck :/
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I'm not even vegan yet that "meat wall" scares me.

Not what I thought would be added in the pack....

Is that even a thing irl? A meat wall?
    I feel like I don't want to and shouldn't Google that, lol.

Same, I'm not a vegan, far from it in fact. I love myself a good piece of steak or a nice slice of fish. But that meat wall...has to be the most disturbing thing I've seen in the sims that isn't a mod...Yikes!

agreed

it reminds of something in the old silent hill games for ps2
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,791 Member
    edited May 2020
    Something that bugged me though is the recycling and rehashing of animations and objects. When I watched the trailer I was like „We already have that“ every five seconds. EA is a multi billion company, The Sims is one of the best-selling video game franchises in history. Can they really not afford to give us new things in a $40 Expansion Pack? Where is all our money going?

I wonder about that a lot. I really don't like recycled animations. I suppose the answer to the question "Where is all our money going" is...somewhere else. The money goes to fund other things for EA or Maxis.

Game design is limited by a budget, and that budget is based on how many people they have and how much time they have so it's possible they are reusing animations so they can keep the budget and work load on their people relatively low.

They keep talking about how the sims is selling so well but they do not seem interested in investing in it. At least not into anything that we hear about or see in these packs.
  • Options
    MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    edited May 2020
    Copying this from my post in another thread:

Meat wall?

I’m guessing it’s synthetic meat, growing on a rack. It looks... unhygienic to say the least.

Synthetic meat is a difficult one. It’s not realistic at this point - it’s insanely expensive to produce, and I don’t think it’s FDA approved yet either. Think of how much work goes into producing it: the lab space (so electricity for powering machines, lights, building materials, construction), sterile procedures, growing proteins ex vivo, chemicals, etc. I have no idea where science is at with lab grown meat - have we created actual muscle, complete with intramuscular fat, iron and vitamins? Or are we also reliant on supplements to go with the muscle proteins? Also, let me tell you as a scientist: the amount of plastic, rubber and glass that we have to single use and incinerate is off the charts! To be sterile we have to use single-use gloves, dishes, pipette tips, bottles... It’s expensive and it’s not any better for the planet than sustainable farming.

Extensive farming with a focus on renewable and sustainable practice is infinitely better than lab grown meat, and likely more nutritionally sound as well. Eco-friendly farming involves using crops/livestock suitable to the climate, retaining native vegetation as much as possible, returning nutrients to soil, reducing soil compaction, eliminating farm runoff, recycling/reducing/reusing wherever possible and making sure animals are kept as humanely as possible. It’s a smart way to farm too - no decent farmer wants to ruin their own land or be cruel to their livestock.
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    It looks O.K. to me. Death by Flies is back, we're getting some clothing that looks slightly edgier than normal, we get dumpsters, a live grass texture for roofs, wind turbines, solar panels, and industrial harbor town, smog...it looks O.K.

My biggest gripe is that it doesn't look like there was anything done to make playing with the polluted state of the world fun or allow us to play sims as evil industrialists as well as altruistic environmentalists. There is no evidence of toxic waste/mutagenic ooze to give sims mutations or super powers, there are no mutated monsters to pop up if you let things stay nasty or get worse, and there doesn't seem to be a "greedy business mogul" route to go so we can give our eco-friendly sims a real antagonist to go up against. It's just a playable PSA about taking care of the environment. There doesn't seem to be anything darker or weirder under the surface...and that disappoints me.

My only hope is that this pack either brings improvements to plant sims, or actually does contain the elements I didn't see in the trailer but really wish were there...But, that's pretty unlikely.

This post nails it for me.

The Sims games never used to take themselves so seriously. Whenever we had the good, something bad and/or deviously disastrous would come with it. It was never about "sending a good message" to its players or the world, it was strictly about entertainment and the delight of the gameplay. There was always that underlying warning that, while things could look "normal" on the surface, you walked a line that could be crossed over.

Because the gameplay direction was always designed to be in the hands of the player. There was always a "what if..." factor that teetered on the unexpected. If you dabbled in the alternative direction, there would be glorious consequences that the player could delightfully revel in. It was never about cuteness, or doing the "right" thing, or representing the true realism of our world. There was always that fictional barrier that reiterated to the player that "anything goes" and the player decides.

I have played some truly evil sims in sims 1 & 2. I miss that
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    People are reading way to much into the meat thing. That's just a quirky thing in the pack, much like how you can summon lightning in seasons or much like the money tree, or even the omni plant in TS3.

MTS_Erzengel-952840-RoastLinksPlant.jpg
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    I really don't know what the problem with people is with the theme of this pack, even though yes, they've covered this already, a lot. But bringing pollution to the sims is a very good idea, it's a life sim, and pollution is a real life problem, just depends how they implement it. Recycling, solar panels, water collectors, wind turbines, electricity generators, more/better off the grid support and gameplay, its quite awesome and since it affects all worlds I'd say it's actually worth it being an EP. It's a video game, obviously things aren't going to be super realistic with actual factories and stuff, although it's been implied that in the sims factories do exist, much like the Landgraab facilities.

EDIT: I just realised I wrote this in the complaining threat. Sorry about that ahaha With so many around I thought I was writing elsewhere.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

Without going too political or defending their choices .... Yes, it absolutely is. Especially if people want to continue eating things that taste exactly like meat.

Anyone denying that the meat industry is a major threat to the well-being of our planet and especially our forests is just willfully blind.

And I say this as a person that loves and eats meat. So take that as you will.

Maybe read my last part again before commenting against what I said. I think you missed the point. It is more about forcing a view on people.

Including things isn't the same as forcing a view on you though. This is just more of them "following the trends" - for better or worse. There's a growing number of vegetarians and people consicous of their impact on the environment, it makes sense for them to create content around that stuff. No matter how you look at it, the sims has always been full of cultural references.

If they can include things like a social media and freelancer careers, robotics, and headscarves why not this? If it is lab-grown meat it's just another reference to something that actually exists. I don't feel forced to use any of that stuff just cause it's there though. And yeah, whether I like the pack or theme or not, I do want the games to continue evolving alongside society. At some point the cultural references of the old games simply won't resonate with a large majority of their players anymore, and that's fine.

That being said, I love what others have said about being able to push the world in the opposite direction by playing an anti-environmentalist or evil genius. That's a more valid criticism than another anti-SJW rant (kinda tired of this in the gaming world - the world is changing, guess we just need to deal xD).

It becomes forcing a view when the effect of it reflects for a 'better world'. It is not just a part included in the game, but part of a sided mission in this one.
    Not everyone has the same view and thoughts about the state of the world. There is a lot more behind it than meets the eye, but let's not go into that now.
    The main target should always be to let everyone keep their own views, beliefs etc. which included this one as well for me. There are many subjects to be believed to be good for you, but it is never a good idea to promote them as 'the right way'.
    I am gonna go and continue the purpose of the thread from here again ;) I don't think it is necessary for me to discuss this much further all though I understand your point as well.
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I really don't know what the problem with people is with the theme of this pack, even though yes, they've covered this already, a lot. But bringing pollution to the sims is a very good idea, it's a life sim, and pollution is a real life problem, just depends how they implement it. Recycling, solar panels, water collectors, wind turbines, electricity generators, more/better off the grid support and gameplay, its quite awesome and since it affects all worlds I'd say it's actually worth it being an EP. It's a video game, obviously things aren't going to be super realistic with actual factories and stuff, although it's been implied that in the sims factories do exist, much like the Landgraab facilities.

EDIT: I just realised I wrote this in the complaining threat. Sorry about that ahaha With so many around I thought I was writing elsewhere.

No worries :p
  • Options
    Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    Plot twist, the meat wall is..............................ELIZA PANCAKES
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,105 Member
    Flexono1 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Pancakes don't have meat it them.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.marthastewart.com%2Fstyles%2Fwmax-750%2Fd29%2Fmed106330_1210_bacon_pancakes%2Fmed106330_1210_bacon_pancakes_horiz.jpg%3Fitok%3DWIA8pQZj&w=1200&h=1200&c=sc&poi=face&q=85

Oh no! Haha.

The "meat" wall is odd. I'm wondering what's all to it though. Is it just free food, can you grow it? Is this possibly a new death type? >:)
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.marthastewart.com%2Fstyles%2Fwmax-750%2Fd29%2Fmed106330_1210_bacon_pancakes%2Fmed106330_1210_bacon_pancakes_horiz.jpg%3Fitok%3DWIA8pQZj&w=1200&h=1200&c=sc&poi=face&q=85

Oh no! Haha.

The "meat" wall is odd. I'm wondering what's all to it though. Is it just free food, can you grow it? Is this possibly a new death type? >:)

I bet there will be cannibalism mods :s