The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play to change in The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Expansion Pack!

Comments

  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 644 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Has nobody noticed that they showed ladders in the trailer? We're finally getting them!
    I'm really interested in seeing what this pack has to offer once we start to see more of the content, so far from the trailer it looks like a pretty cool concept. People on here who like family gameplay forget that people have different taste and the Sims have always targeted different audiences, we already have the knitting pack coming for family gameplay and farming could easily be this years game pack.


    "Has nobody noticed that they showed ladders in the trailer? We're finally getting them!
    I'm really interested in seeing what this pack has to offer once we start to see more of the content, so far from the trailer it looks like a pretty cool concept."... You could have left it at that and I could have totally supported what you said. It's everything after that feels like you are picking at people who "prefer the style of" family gameplay. It sounds like you are telling us what we should be grateful for.

    I can appreciate what you are saying here with regards to targeting different audiences. No one can have everything, I agree. However, a knitting pack, or even a maybe someday in the future farming game pack does not make for family gameplay necessarily. There are many players, self included who started with the original Sim iteration and have supported the whole sims franchise despite disappointments, but Sims 4 completely threw family players to the curb and at best it does feel like we get little trinkets or dog bones thrown our way every now and again. Yes we have families, we even have toddlers now, yet we are still not a family as there are no real sim babies only objects, no real interaction or gameplay there, toddlers and children and heck even teens really have little objects/activities to indulge in, there is not much for families to do together. Just as an example, we have parks, we have seasons, well gee wouldn't a wonderful family picnic gameplay be nice? Anyone remember the picnic basket? And even game night could be such a more useful calendar event if we have objects that enhanced "family" play together. In the Sims two and three there was so much my sim parents could do with the sim children. The idea of my sims spending their sim lives cleaning up the world does not seem like a day of sims play that is exciting for me. This is a five minute thrill. It's hard to justify paying for an EP just to have a ladder.

    I for one am very disappointed in the upcoming EP. To be honest the thought of "Something that's never been done before" makes me think grand, HUGE, twitter bombing. I didn't expect this at all. Yes. I do know that one could simply not purchase the thing, and I make a promise that this will not be a purchase for me. Frankly, If the EA team is only going to continue to ignore family players who have followed sims for years loyally, hoping to feel the love again, hoping that EA will listen and understand that we are a large demographics for the sims games, and make right what was robbed of us in this iteration, then I would just as soon prefer to move on. Can we go ahead and have sims 5 already.

    I have never been bitter about the sims. I have almost all of the EP's/GP's/stuff packs (with the exception of supernatural/occult). I love the sims, but I want more than an "accomplish this" type game. I don't want constant tasks/goals for my sims to complete or compete at. I want to play the game the way Will Wright envisioned it. I want to "Tell the Story"


  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 644 Member
    This is worse than I could have ever imagined. That trailer was like a child's perception environmentalism. When the trailer first started, it looked like an apocalypse was going down. I get that this is a game so everything needs to be over exaggerated, but my gosh. You would think a meteor wiped out civilization. I could go though every disgusting aspect of that trailer, but there is no point.

    The trailer and blog confirmed my worst fears. No farming, no self sufficiency. This whole pack is revolving around 'changing the world' by picking up trash, which I guess is true is sims terms since there areas are called 'worlds' even though they're more like small towns. But this looks like IL 2.0 with a bit of Stranerville thrown in, only instead of trash being relegated to one island, its now this entire place that is automatically covered in trash and your mission is to fix it. Lame.

    Yeah, no thanks. My sims have better things to do than live inside of dumpsters and act as the world's garbageman. And again, we just had this with Island Living. We had the tiny homes. We had the off the grid lot trait. Just how much more eco stuff does this game need? :/

    Well said. I clap and applaud this comment. We need something to bring life to this game. Sims 4 is fast going down hill. Where are these ideas coming from?

  • Options
    AJosieAJosie Posts: 5 New Member
    Why couldn't it have been anything but more cleanup? My Sims are tired of picking up trash in other worlds. So many good ideas for an EP and it comes down to this? 😬
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,541 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Corylea wrote: »
    I'm not especially interested in playing it, but I salute them for making it! The fact that our actions have consequences for the larger world is a message that we all desperately need right now. The pandemic is Mother Earth's cry for help, and I'm glad Maxis/EA is doing their part to encourage us to become socially responsible.

    Personally, I mostly play The Sims 2. And when the pandemic first hit, I actually went back to playing The Sims 1 for awhile, because the sweet simplicity of the world in The Sims 1 was so appealing, and a world where no one ever aged or died (unless you took terrible care of them) was such a welcome respite from the world we have today.

    I've even made a lot of mods for The Sims 1 over the past couple of months. Learning to mod a 20-year-old game seems weird, but I found is soothing to be able to control exactly how things worked for my sims, at a time when the entire world seems out of control...

    I'm sorry, but I disagree with this statement. I don't need my real life actions encouraged or dictated by my video game. It's not EA's place to tell me to be "socially responsible". I can do that on my own. I don't play the game to power play the real world, I play it to escape it. And as someone who also loves the Sims 2, I feel that the earlier games always knew their place with the player; that the gameplay is only up to the player and what direction the player chooses for their game. There was always enough fiction and distance from reality in the previous games that allowed for this kind of absolute freedom. That's what made them so special and engaging.

    Except they're not telling you to be socially responsible, because you can choose to make the environment worse. It is the players choice.

    I was responding to a poster who perceived that EA was encouraging social responsibility and praising them over the idea of pushing an agenda to their players. I was saying I would not welcome this.

    Perhaps you should take it up with them instead, as they are the person you disagree with.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    Yeah, no thanks. My sims have better things to do than live inside of dumpsters and act as the world's garbageman. And again, we just had this with Island Living. We had the tiny homes. We had the off the grid lot trait. Just how much more eco stuff does this game need? :/
    I agree. We've had enough already. But keep getting more. Is it because it's trending? That's something I don't like about TS4. It's just so 2015-2020. TS2 and TS3 don't make me feel like they're tied up to a certain era. They're more or less modern worlds and that's all you can say about it. They have phones, computers, videogames, but they aren't like TS4 which will be a time machine back to 2020 when a few years pass and the trends change. TS4 doesn't even have enough simple, basic clothes that aren't tied up to temporary fashion trends. Most of them are what's popular now.
  • Options
    helen912helen912 Posts: 166 Member
    I am curious. Ladders ... wind parks ... on the other hand, I understand that it gets more of importance to ask for our opinions. I'd die for a space or moon or Mars themed pack ...
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,169 Member
    MrSpaceman wrote: »
    Yeah, no thanks. My sims have better things to do than live inside of dumpsters and act as the world's garbageman. And again, we just had this with Island Living. We had the tiny homes. We had the off the grid lot trait. Just how much more eco stuff does this game need? :/
    I agree. We've had enough already. But keep getting more. Is it because it's trending? That's something I don't like about TS4. It's just so 2015-2020. TS2 and TS3 don't make me feel like they're tied up to a certain era. They're more or less modern worlds and that's all you can say about it. They have phones, computers, videogames, but they aren't like TS4 which will be a time machine back to 2020 when a few years pass and the trends change. TS4 doesn't even have enough simple, basic clothes that aren't tied up to temporary fashion trends. Most of them are what's popular now.
    I agree, that's what generally bothers me about TS4 as well.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2020
    Mandie997 wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Corylea wrote: »
    I'm not especially interested in playing it, but I salute them for making it! The fact that our actions have consequences for the larger world is a message that we all desperately need right now. The pandemic is Mother Earth's cry for help, and I'm glad Maxis/EA is doing their part to encourage us to become socially responsible.

    Personally, I mostly play The Sims 2. And when the pandemic first hit, I actually went back to playing The Sims 1 for awhile, because the sweet simplicity of the world in The Sims 1 was so appealing, and a world where no one ever aged or died (unless you took terrible care of them) was such a welcome respite from the world we have today.

    I've even made a lot of mods for The Sims 1 over the past couple of months. Learning to mod a 20-year-old game seems weird, but I found is soothing to be able to control exactly how things worked for my sims, at a time when the entire world seems out of control...

    I'm sorry, but I disagree with this statement. I don't need my real life actions encouraged or dictated by my video game. It's not EA's place to tell me to be "socially responsible". I can do that on my own. I don't play the game to power play the real world, I play it to escape it. And as someone who also loves the Sims 2, I feel that the earlier games always knew their place with the player; that the gameplay is only up to the player and what direction the player chooses for their game. There was always enough fiction and distance from reality in the previous games that allowed for this kind of absolute freedom. That's what made them so special and engaging.

    Except they're not telling you to be socially responsible, because you can choose to make the environment worse. It is the players choice.

    The pack is called "Eco Living" not "Smog Living." They want you to clean up the town. If you decide not to clean it up, that's your choice, but let's not pretend that a pack called "Eco Living" intends for you to create a garbage wasteland planet.

    Of course it doesn't intend for you to create a garbage wasteland planet, wouldn't that be dictating your actions? ;) But you still have the freedom to play it your way.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Corylea wrote: »
    I'm not especially interested in playing it, but I salute them for making it! The fact that our actions have consequences for the larger world is a message that we all desperately need right now. The pandemic is Mother Earth's cry for help, and I'm glad Maxis/EA is doing their part to encourage us to become socially responsible.

    Personally, I mostly play The Sims 2. And when the pandemic first hit, I actually went back to playing The Sims 1 for awhile, because the sweet simplicity of the world in The Sims 1 was so appealing, and a world where no one ever aged or died (unless you took terrible care of them) was such a welcome respite from the world we have today.

    I've even made a lot of mods for The Sims 1 over the past couple of months. Learning to mod a 20-year-old game seems weird, but I found is soothing to be able to control exactly how things worked for my sims, at a time when the entire world seems out of control...

    I'm sorry, but I disagree with this statement. I don't need my real life actions encouraged or dictated by my video game. It's not EA's place to tell me to be "socially responsible". I can do that on my own. I don't play the game to power play the real world, I play it to escape it. And as someone who also loves the Sims 2, I feel that the earlier games always knew their place with the player; that the gameplay is only up to the player and what direction the player chooses for their game. There was always enough fiction and distance from reality in the previous games that allowed for this kind of absolute freedom. That's what made them so special and engaging.

    Except they're not telling you to be socially responsible, because you can choose to make the environment worse. It is the players choice.

    I was responding to a poster who perceived that EA was encouraging social responsibility and praising them over the idea of pushing an agenda to their players. I was saying I would not welcome this.

    Perhaps you should take it up with them instead, as they are the person you disagree with.

    You are correct.
  • Options
    Fillups44Fillups44 Posts: 8 New Member
    > @IceyJ said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Of course it doesn't intend for you to create a garbage wasteland planet, wouldn't that be dictating your actions? ;) But you still have the freedom to play it your way.

    And this is the beauty of The Sims experience! I'm sure the original intent of the game wasn't for people to build kill boxes or create black widow challenges but the gameplay is versatile enough to allow for those options as well the option of playing a nurturing family rearing their children up for success.

    The cool thing about the way Eco Living is sounding is the ability to transform the environment based on your choices so if you choose "badly" you're dealing with maybe dire circumstances but for some players this will be an enhancement where they have to deal with killer insect swarms and garbage dumps in their everyday life (and maybe negative effects of pollution).

    I see this as an ability to further personalize the world you are in by having it react to your gameplay. It is an exciting and dynamic concept that could be developed in other ways that might be exciting. It feels edgier than a lot of the packs we have gotten before this.
  • Options
    IAMTHYANNAIAMTHYANNA Posts: 4 New Member
    I love the concept of this pack and the game play looks great. Solar panels, wind turbines, up-cycling, vertical planting, candle making, and fizzy juice making Yes Please. I'll hold judgement on the changing world and new community lot till I see the game play. I don't know why people are so angry about this I'm glad the farming EP was a hoax it's not something i'm that interested in but if it had bean real I wouldn't be so hostile we are a large community with all types of players just because its not your cup of tea dos not mean its unwonted or that it was not thoughtfully chosen and designed. It is not EA's fault that the community was taken in by a hoax, its not the Deves fault that you got your hopes up for something your not getting, maybe wait to see the game play you might like it and if you don't don't buy it no one is making you. Sorry to preach but some times I just get tired of the whinging that goes on just because what you wonted isn't happening right now.
  • Options
    mrsdulson01mrsdulson01 Posts: 2 New Member
    Think I also will be giving this one a miss. Doesn’t look like too much FUN to me. Apart from the baby chickens, nope, nothing else appeals to me! Now, if it had have been Farming I would be doing somersaults right now!!
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited May 2020
    I am only looking forward to that hair at :55. Can't wait to see what cc creators will do with it.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Think I also will be giving this one a miss. Doesn’t look like too much FUN to me. Apart from the baby chickens, nope, nothing else appeals to me! Now, if it had have been Farming I would be doing somersaults right now!!

    Dude, they're not chickens, they're grubs. Pause the trailer at that part and take a closer look.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,541 Member
    Man, those grub chicks are the talk of the town.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    ElixirSimsElixirSims Posts: 1 New Member
    A bit different to most of the comments, but I actually really enjoy this pack. The CAS items look great! A lot of the build mode items (though I do hope we didn't see all of them, because I think that might be a bit of a minor 'expansion pack') are really nice and look really appealing! The crafting and recreating a town is something that really intrigues me and am really expectant and excited to see how they make it work.
    ALSO, LADDERS!!!! LADDERS.
    I hope they're in base game :wink: , otherwise I'm screwed! Also, making candles nearly made me burst. It's the minor things that count! Making a community garden it seems will be really cool too! And everybody helping out and making it look beautiful... it's amazing!
    But, I do have one question. How will this work? i don't want all of the rubbish spreading out into other neighbourhoods, because that would mess up my save!
    Anyway, I like it. Good job!
    :smiley:
  • Options
    TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    IAMTHYANNA wrote: »
    I love the concept of this pack and the game play looks great. Solar panels, wind turbines, up-cycling, vertical planting, candle making, and fizzy juice making Yes Please. I'll hold judgement on the changing world and new community lot till I see the game play. I don't know why people are so angry about this I'm glad the farming EP was a hoax it's not something i'm that interested in but if it had bean real I wouldn't be so hostile we are a large community with all types of players just because its not your cup of tea dos not mean its unwonted or that it was not thoughtfully chosen and designed. It is not EA's fault that the community was taken in by a hoax, its not the Deves fault that you got your hopes up for something your not getting, maybe wait to see the game play you might like it and if you don't don't buy it no one is making you. Sorry to preach but some times I just get tired of the whinging that goes on just because what you wonted isn't happening right now.

    People are just angry with this because two previous packs have the same exact theme. This was also something that was to be included in what became laundry day. It's all shady and money grabbing nonsense. This didn't need to be an expansion, but rather a game pack. What is the dev's fault is they're falling short of ideas, clipping packs into way too many parts to make them all separate instead of being put in one unit (Im looking at you my first pet) and ignoring what people have been voicing their wants on for way too long. Do I Think this is a cool looking pack? Sure. I also think My First Pet is cool too BUT it didnt' need to be made into what it is. They both didn't need to be their own thing. At this point I'm scared of a farming pack. At this rate it'll be Country Living as the base, then a Horsing Around game pack and Hay Now as the stuff pack which will feature all kinds of farming tools and accessories.
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I'm curious about how many Sims it will take to make a positive impact on the environment. Would it just be your active household or do all Sims have to contribute? If that was the case that would be very difficult. Or is that what the community voting is for? Will Sims automatically add dew collectors, bug hotels in their gardens like they do with holiday decorations? I am genuinely curious as to how they are going to achieve this.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    evelewisevelewis Posts: 17 Member
    The more I see/hear about this expansion the more interested I am to learn more. I'm hopeful they'll give us a decent understanding of how we can expect game play to be expanded during the livestream, so we can really know beforehand if we want to buy it.
  • Options
    Dom_rocks123Dom_rocks123 Posts: 3 New Member
    I believe it could help us realise that we need to change our ways if we want to save the world.
  • Options
    Stylish_SimmerStylish_Simmer Posts: 26 Member
    I'm looking foward to Knifty Knitting more than this :/
  • Options
    SkidoodilybopSkidoodilybop Posts: 123 Member
    I'm surprised by how many negative comments there are! Maybe it's because I grew up and live in the Pacific Northwest, but I'm seeing so much outrage at how much we need to band together to undo all the damage we've been doing to our environment, and the planet as a whole! Now we can at least pretend to make a difference while being stuck on lockdown.

    The idea that my Sim might finally be able to do something worthwhile in my game sounds really appealing - especially since I've been temporarily laid-off since March 8th and feeling totally antsy and purposeless. I used to be able to lose myself in The Sims (all the way up to The Sims 3) - but 4 is all looks and design, and is missing the juicy Social/Behavioral components that made Sims naturally behave. Right now Sims are pretty boring no matter how you create them.

    As is, there isn't a whole lot of contrast to the Sims. Every game play feels the same, no matter what personality traits I give my different sims. They do the same work, have very similar lifestyles (only some are messier, some are cleaner), and they all get along pretty averagely (or very well). Even my angriest most evil Sim has the same normal and polite conversations as any other Sim. I have to force them to cause any conflict.

    There may not be much more Social personality to the Sims with this add-on, but the world my Sims live in will finally be more than a hum-drum vanilla backdrop to my Sims' boring and contrastless lives. At least now they can live the life of someone who's not a well-off middle or upper class Sim right off the bat.

    I can't wait to see my Sims' environment change based on how little or how much they are involved, and now I can finally have a truly "Off The Grid" Sim and feel like I was actually challenged doing a Legacy/Rags-to-Riches play through!
  • Options
    DuskregnDuskregn Posts: 43 Member
    Literally seen one person on these here cursed forums negging on climate change awareness/improvement IRL, i don't see why so many people think those of us who don't want magic pollution vacuums in the sims hate the environment in real life. That's a bizarre leap of logic my dudes, many of us hate MFPS but that doesn't mean we hate hamsters IRL either
  • Options
    xtianxxtianx Posts: 128 Member
    edited May 2020
    I’m interested in it, liked the trailer, and will definitely buy it. As I buy all the content, either immediately or after waiting a bit, that’s not unusual. I’m far less interested in the knitting pack but I will buy that too (though perhaps on a sale).
    I felt about as interested in the Island Living pack as I am in Eco Lifestyle, but I waited until that one was offered on a good discount because I really wasn’t itching to turn my Sims into mermaids and play The Sims game in spurts as other titles in my collection grab my interest; it wasn’t something I had to have right away. Sometimes many months will pass when I don’t play The Sims at all but play other video game titles instead.
    This EP, though, will be a release-day purchase because I like the idea behind the pack and the creativity in the concept. Though I don’t consider myself an outspoken environmentalist, I definitely participate in conservationism and do things in real life like drive an electric vehicle and compost. 🙂
    I also want to support EA. Though The Sims franchise and the game as a whole isn’t perfect (and is by far the single most expensive game title in my large collection of video game titles, even eclipsing several other premium editions of video games like Assassin’s Creed Odyssey with ALL the add-on DLC and many purchased cosmetic game items), The Sims series has brought me *much* joy over the last two decades I’ve been playing and I want to see it continue to evolve. 😀
    Perhaps the number one reason I’ll buy this EP is to, in some small way, balance the in-my-opinion-somewhat-unfair pre-release trashing of the development effort by folk who are bitterly disappointed in the theme and having themselves ‘quite a moment’ over it. 🤭 When I participated in the surveys leading up to the decision to go with Nifty Knitting and realized that one won out over other things I thought were more interesting, I rolled my eyes and enjoyed an ‘of-course-that-won’ smirk but recognized other players really wanted it and decided to be happy for them instead of rant in the forums about it. It probably helps I’m married to a knitter in real life. 🙃
    Post edited by xtianx on
  • Options
    SiggDiggitSiggDiggit Posts: 145 Member
    The hair looks great, the grubs are cute, I love the idea of cleaning up a neighbourhood, or not >:) (plus, the neightbourhood looks beautiful either way), being an inventor (?) without going into science will be fun! I like the clothes, ear plugs and the build items, a lot! Making candles and hunting for trash will be fun too, lol.. really I like everything I see and I'm very excited for this EP. The theme was surprising, but i'm happily surprised! <3<3
    2f8164094dfe843e371b34f5333b4dff1d96e006.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top