Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play to change in The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Expansion Pack!

Comments

• AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited May 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Aericia wrote: »
    No matter what you do but how you do it. The problem is that devs make packs that look unfinished. For example, Get Famous includes only the career of the actor and only this... and they could included a musical career of rock, pop, rap. It looks like halfway out of work. that is why they "burn" good ideas, because if they present in new pack a music career now, fans will say that it is a copy of Get Famous.
    It's the same with ecology in The Sims. They started doing something at Island Living, but did not do enough - a few rubbish to clean up and an ecologist's career. And now they release eco living, because the eco theme is a good idea. If they made larger additions from the beginning and planned the content better, there would be no problem.
    Yes, the players asked for eco, but maybe not cleaning and designing the machines, because they already got it. What problem is to combine eco with the farm? or instead of another plain town, for example an oceanarium or some forest in the mountains?
    Players are not disappointed because of eco. Players want new things, want "finished", well-used ideas, not copying ideas. And, as I know life, it will be another poor in gameplay expack. :(

I think you could make a case that Island Living was the one that had shoehorned activism dumped into it lol They could have made mermaid gameplay much deeper instead and add a few other unique water interactions, since a lot of them are re-used (like the animation of toddlers playing in the water). I do like off the grid though, but not even that was well implemented.

Yes, the ideas look as if they were abandoned halfway. Let's give mermaids but why give a tree of skills like a vampire (if mermaids were a separate gpack it would be ok, they would probably have more skills like spellcasters). What else can you give here, because it's boring? I know! Career ecologist, but not too much, ladies and gentlemen, not too much!
    I don't know if they have any limits on the content in these packs? Someone put out the plug when they have too much content? here would explain off the grid idea in the Sims. :)
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Okay, the meat wall is giving me a great idea.

I've been doing a Tiger King/Rags to Riches/Corona challenge in my spare time. But with this, I could do a Carole Baskin challenge. She can kill her husband(s), then make and sell meat. Or, if you can use it to feed pets, she can feed some to her tigers.

LOL!!! <3 Love this reference.
  • bluelightingbluelighting Posts: 704 Member
    edited May 2020
    Im sorry i really dont like tiny houses. i prefer mne as big as i can get them. but im interested in the idea. ill go over there and build but hey i travel all over sims world now.

actually i already pre-ordered it when it was announced.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited May 2020
    That meat wall is kinda odd....I guess it's synthetic meat, given this EP is about Eco Lifestyle ?

If/when we get cars, they'll fit nicely with this EP, your sim could pollute more or less depending on what and how many cars they drive.
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • EvangelineEvangeline Posts: 59 Member
    I had thought how amazing it would be if cars were introduced in the pre-pack patch, and then an eco/electric variant could've been included in the pack! Maybe they could still do that, but usually they show the main features in the reveal trailer. It feels weird that they have 'so much more to show', because isn't the idea of the reveal that they show you exciting features? IDK! I'm confused as to what it is that's causing the pollution, since there's no current way to be non-eco friendly!
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Evangeline wrote: »
    I had thought how amazing it would be if cars were introduced in the pre-pack patch, and then an eco/electric variant could've been included in the pack! Maybe they could still do that, but usually they show the main features in the reveal trailer. It feels weird that they have 'so much more to show', because isn't the idea of the reveal that they show you exciting features? IDK! I'm confused as to what it is that's causing the pollution, since there's no current way to be non-eco friendly!

I know right unless their is some kind of serious industrial pollution from a factory. Sims run, walk and bike everywhere.
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • EvangelineEvangeline Posts: 59 Member
    I guess in the new pack they could add some kind of evil factory, but it doesn't make any sense contextually! Sims often grow their own food, and can't even drive to a grocery shop to buy them. Like you say, they walk and run everywhere. I suppose there could be the point of over fishing (in Sulani I think that's an option you can choose to make the environment worse?), but then that doesn't explain the smog! Perhaps Aquazips are INCREDIBLY bad for the environment ... XD
  • Hallie22Hallie22 Posts: 64 Member
    Evangeline wrote: »
    I guess in the new pack they could add some kind of evil factory, but it doesn't make any sense contextually! Sims often grow their own food, and can't even drive to a grocery shop to buy them. Like you say, they walk and run everywhere. I suppose there could be the point of over fishing (in Sulani I think that's an option you can choose to make the environment worse?), but then that doesn't explain the smog! Perhaps Aquazips are INCREDIBLY bad for the environment ... XD

Maybe if they have a whole lot full of trashplants :D
  • ExtrafanlexiExtrafanlexi Posts: 1 New Member
    I feel like I’m playing mind games and allowing EA to just rip me off by giving us scraps of things that we should’ve had (or things that should just not exist) already in previous packs, because “we asked for this”. I’m glad the comments on YouTube show a lot of the disdain for this pack and the Sims community is tired of being pandered to. If you need help with packs, hire some CC content creators, and if it’s not that then you should feel shameful for the awful quality and the overwhelming quantity of packs that are seemingly just tired regurgitations of what we have and don’t need more of. I haven’t been in awe of a new pack for a long while, and that’s sad because the Sims 3 and Sims 2 was way more ingenious than this rendition. I felt so mad I had to actually create an account to complain here as well as on YouTube, because I feel like this has been such an injustice towards Simmers and a capitalistic ploy that shows EA’s not caring about pushing quality, game-changing content.

RIP my adoration for the Sims 4 and its team.
  • CoryleaCorylea Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm not especially interested in playing it, but I salute them for making it! The fact that our actions have consequences for the larger world is a message that we all desperately need right now. The pandemic is Mother Earth's cry for help, and I'm glad Maxis/EA is doing their part to encourage us to become socially responsible.

Personally, I mostly play The Sims 2. And when the pandemic first hit, I actually went back to playing The Sims 1 for awhile, because the sweet simplicity of the world in The Sims 1 was so appealing, and a world where no one ever aged or died (unless you took terrible care of them) was such a welcome respite from the world we have today.

I've even made a lot of mods for The Sims 1 over the past couple of months. Learning to mod a 20-year-old game seems weird, but I found is soothing to be able to control exactly how things worked for my sims, at a time when the entire world seems out of control...
  • MrSpacemanMrSpaceman Posts: 382 Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't believe we voted for this pack? Because I think there's a possibility of all the packs being planned from the very beginning, and players are given an illusion of choice. So we're convinced that we can influence the game. When in fact the only thing that can influence it is what the developers think may be sold out really well. Eco lifestyle is one of such topics. Because it's something that's being discussed in real life a lot. And at the same time it's not something that many people really expected to see in the game. Maybe because of the Sims world being eco-friendly itself, so it doesn't feel like it needs a change. Or because many people have their own wishes and expectations which, as they thought, were pretty realistic, but didn't come true (werewolves, more arts and crafts rather than just knitting, cars, horses, improved babies, kids stuff, playable school and so on).

Many people have been talking about a farm DLC recently. And when we just found out that yet another DLC was about to come, everything looked like it was going to be the farm. Even the Easter eggs made it look like that. I, my friends and people from our local Sims forum really thought a farm pack was coming next. And many users were really excited about it. They were really looking forward to play it. And then the actual trailer comes out... People didn't really know how to react to it. I had a strange feeling of this DLC being a sort of replacement of a country living DLC that may not be in their plans. This theory doesn't make me feel good, but I can't stop thinking about it. New plants, juice and cute house for... grubs instead of a chicken coop. Oh yeah, and meat on a rack. Maybe that's how they see a perfect modern farm? And is it because they thought a farm wouldn't be animal friendly enough? Well... In TS3 they did just fine. No cruelty, but you could still be a real farmer. Could've repeated this in TS4.

Should we start joking about "Farm at home: "?
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    I'm just kind of meh on this pack. It looks O.K., but nothing really excites me about it. It's nice to see Death by Flies return, the trash and smog look cool, and the fashion looks like it's a little edgier than most other packs...but that's about it. I'm disappointed that there's no evidence in the trailer of toxic waste/mutagenic ooze that could mutate our sims or give them powers, no pollution-born monsters to worry about if you leave the world nasty or let it get worse, no Hoggish Greedly polluter industrialist route to create an antagonist for our Planeteers...just a playable PSA. The best we can hope for here is a big upgrade to plant sims in this pack...but I didn't even see any evidence of that in the trailer, and the apparent intended theme of this pack would be perfect for that!

So, another disappointing EP trailer for me. Maybe future trailers or gameplay demos can prove me wrong, but as it stands now, the only thing I'd buy the pack for is aesthetics.

it's also possible to make the pollution worse, so if you wanted to play a polluter industrialist storyline, I'm sure you'd be able to do so.
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    MrSpaceman wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't believe we voted for this pack? Because I think there's a possibility of all the packs being planned from the very beginning, and players are given an illusion of choice. So we're convinced that we can influence the game. When in fact the only thing that can influence it is what the developers think may be sold out really well. Eco lifestyle is one of such topics. Because it's something that's being discussed in real life a lot. And at the same time it's not something that many people really expected to see in the game. Maybe because of the Sims world being eco-friendly itself, so it doesn't feel like it needs a change. Or because many people have their own wishes and expectations which, as they thought, were pretty realistic, but didn't come true (werewolves, more arts and crafts rather than just knitting, cars, horses, improved babies, kids stuff, playable school and so on).

Many people have been talking about a farm DLC recently. And when we just found out that yet another DLC was about to come, everything looked like it was going to be the farm. Even the Easter eggs made it look like that. I, my friends and people from our local Sims forum really thought a farm pack was coming next. And many users were really excited about it. They were really looking forward to play it. And then the actual trailer comes out... People didn't really know how to react to it. I had a strange feeling of this DLC being a sort of replacement of a country living DLC that may not be in their plans. This theory doesn't make me feel good, but I can't stop thinking about it. New plants, juice and cute house for... grubs instead of a chicken coop. Oh yeah, and meat on a rack. Maybe that's how they see a perfect modern farm? And is it because they thought a farm wouldn't be animal friendly enough? Well... In TS3 they did just fine. No cruelty, but you could still be a real farmer. Could've repeated this in TS4.

Should we start joking about "Farm at home: "?

If you're referring to the most recent poll, this pack was in development long before that poll. EPs take years to create. I don't believe this pack has anything to do with any polls. I agree with what you're saying about our voting showing interest and therefore more likely higher revenue for the pack, absolutely. But in my mind that's a win win situation. If they use the results of polls to focus on packs that most players want, for sure they know there's a higher chance of greater revenue. But then we get what most players asked for. Win win!

I don't want them to stop sending out polls and surveys. And I don't think they will.
  • rhypuppyrhypuppy Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2020
    I mean this is fine but like... I would much rather have more Occult Sims. Occult Sims are literally my #1 favorite part of the game. My aliens got nerfed as HECK in Sims 4. They LOOK amazing especially thanks to our wonderful modding community who works super hard to make beautiful CC for us FOR FREE. But Jesus Christ, I wanted my aliens to FUNCTION like they're from another planet, not just LOOK like they're from another planet. I wanted them to have more unique technology. Also, the aliens in Sim clearly love lights and using lights to lure and fool Sims about some more technology or even alien powers based around lights? I would really love to see a mod or a pack from EA, one or the other, adding something like a miniature saucer exclusively for the alien Sims. Remote controlled or even mind controlled would be super cool and they can do abductions, manual Sim pregnancies, or miniature invasions. I would love to see them use it as a special instrument for music and singing. Casting light shows as maybe like a mating call for their fellow alien Sims. Maybe using it for research and to help heal and grow plants.

I would love for them to have so much more unique interactions, powers, and technology. Also, what about our adorable Plantsims? Could those guys please come back into the game? I would LOVE to have them around with bigger and better plant powers. Maybe they can just on command grow plants? Maybe even carnivorous once like the Cowplant!

Also I don't mind having more eco stuff but they didn't even do the off the grid trait correctly. I would have loved a proper composting toilet, water tanks, SOLAR AND WIND POWER FOR ELECTRICITY MAYBE? Also the alien planet, Sixam is totally freaking empty I just discovered! I realized I'm going to have to edit it myself which is totally fine but I would have liked to know that ahead of time. I would have liked to see the familiars for mages also act as mini pets, that would have been nice. Also, as IF they gave us the option to use broomsticks to fly around as mages but they made it function like teleportation because they too lazy animate the actual flying. Thanks, EA!

Sims 4 is such a bittersweet game. Like the stuff they did great on, they did freaking great! And then the stuff they tanked, they REALLY tanked it. And there doesn't seem to be a lot of script mods for Sims 4 the way there is for other games like Skyrim. So many mods are for Sim customization and cosmetics. Which is great, I'm not complaining, especially since they're 10X better than what we get from EA. But I would LOVE to see more stuff added into the game that also isn't just furniture. Like I want more stuff to interact with especially Occult Sims because I said, they're my favorite. Mages and aliens have always been my top 2 favorite Occult Sims and while I think the mages came out great there could be some improvement. Maybe some more spells and updates for the magical realm. And of course aliens and even Merfolk could use a huge upgrade. Personally, I love the scaled legs from Sims 3 and I miss those. I also would have loved to see maybe an option for water magic? We don't need anything crazy but maybe they could like on command create rain water from their hands to water plants or something. I love the singing magic but I would have liked to see more. While the merfolk aren't perfect I think aliens on terms on functionality totally got the worst treatment. They nerfed them so bad in this game for no explicable reason outside of laziness.

And I would love to make these mods myself but I have NO idea how to make mods or even how to learn how to do that. So many mod makers are self taught and that's absolutely incredible to me because I tried learning once two years ago and it was just a nightmare. I had no idea what I was doing. Also, how about underwater worlds and traveling? I personally don't mind that Sims 4 isn't open world since we actually have FUNCTIONAL lots and no more rabbit holes (I would like it to be a bit more open. For example, I would love to not go into a loading screen if I'm visiting the house directly next door) but otherwise it's fine. But they made a magic world, they Sixam for the aliens, you're telling me they couldn't have made an underwater world with little towns and maybe some cool underwater houses for the merfolk? Like caves we could build and customize or something like that? They could have done so much more with the ENVIRONMENT for the merfolks. But lets focus on doing this other stuff. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Also, the imaginary friends in Sims 3 were ADORABLE. Would love to see a comeback with those but with some more interesting magic, that would be nice.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Corylea wrote: »
    I'm not especially interested in playing it, but I salute them for making it! The fact that our actions have consequences for the larger world is a message that we all desperately need right now. The pandemic is Mother Earth's cry for help, and I'm glad Maxis/EA is doing their part to encourage us to become socially responsible.

Personally, I mostly play The Sims 2. And when the pandemic first hit, I actually went back to playing The Sims 1 for awhile, because the sweet simplicity of the world in The Sims 1 was so appealing, and a world where no one ever aged or died (unless you took terrible care of them) was such a welcome respite from the world we have today.

I've even made a lot of mods for The Sims 1 over the past couple of months. Learning to mod a 20-year-old game seems weird, but I found is soothing to be able to control exactly how things worked for my sims, at a time when the entire world seems out of control...

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this statement. I don't need my real life actions encouraged or dictated by my video game. It's not EA's place to tell me to be "socially responsible". I can do that on my own. I don't play the game to power play the real world, I play it to escape it. And as someone who also loves the Sims 2, I feel that the earlier games always knew their place with the player; that the gameplay is only up to the player and what direction the player chooses for their game. There was always enough fiction and distance from reality in the previous games that allowed for this kind of absolute freedom. That's what made them so special and engaging.
    #Team Occult
  • rhypuppyrhypuppy Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2020
    Also now that I've watched the full trailer (I read people's comments first) it seems like they're not necessarily out of ideas but like they're trying to expand on the stuff they did before. Like they did all of this to a smaller degree, they did do off the grid trait but it was HORRIBLY designed and super glitchy. So this seems like it's expanding and fixing some of that stuff which I think is fantastic but I personally would love to just a big update/fix/addition for Occult Sims. One my ultimate dreams/goals in real life is to live completely off the grid and the off the grid trait was just horrible and glitchy and just did not work. So I personally am pretty excited for this pack especially with the addition of new technology, solar and wind power for electricity? Heck, yeah! I hope they added composting toilets, too. I would also like a generations and farming pack though. It would be nice to have imaginary friends back and I think they could easily add fairies and Plantsims in the farming pack since they're both plant/nature based Occult Sims. They would do great with taking care of their animal friends I think!
  • Mandie997Mandie997 Posts: 155 Member
    Aericia wrote: »
    Yes, the ideas look as if they were abandoned halfway. Let's give mermaids but why give a tree of skills like a vampire (if mermaids were a separate gpack it would be ok, they would probably have more skills like spellcasters). What else can you give here, because it's boring? I know! Career ecologist, but not too much, ladies and gentlemen, not too much!
    I don't know if they have any limits on the content in these packs? Someone put out the plug when they have too much content? here would explain off the grid idea in the Sims. :)

They couldn't make a mermaid pack separately though. It would have required Island Living, which tbh would have been another My First Pet because it requires the base game and the EP. EA confirmed that Eco Living has no new occults. Personally, I'm fine with no occults as I'm not an occult player. Although I do like the alien occult, if they ever get rid of that one I will be very sad.

• Ashley_playz24394Ashley_playz24394 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm really excited about this. And I think this will tell people how they can actually help the Earth.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this statement. I don't need my real life actions encouraged or dictated by my video game. It's not EA's place to tell me to be "socially responsible". I can do that on my own. I don't play the game to power play the real world, I play it to escape it. And as someone who also loves the Sims 2, I feel that the earlier games always knew their place with the player; that the gameplay is only up to the player and what direction the player chooses for their game. There was always enough fiction and distance from reality in the previous games that allowed for this kind of absolute freedom. That's what made them so special and engaging.

Except they're not telling you to be socially responsible, because you can choose to make the environment worse. It is the players choice.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Lame, We wanted Country living with farms and livestock.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Mandie997Mandie997 Posts: 155 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

Except they're not telling you to be socially responsible, because you can choose to make the environment worse. It is the players choice.

The pack is called "Eco Living" not "Smog Living." They want you to clean up the town. If you decide not to clean it up, that's your choice, but let's not pretend that a pack called "Eco Living" intends for you to create a garbage wasteland planet.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    Mandie997 wrote: »

The pack is called "Eco Living" not "Smog Living." They want you to clean up the town. If you decide not to clean it up, that's your choice, but let's not pretend that a pack called "Eco Living" intends for you to create a garbage wasteland planet.

Why not? Smog is present and they have stated that pollution affects all worlds in some way. There's also death by flies and they have added build/buy mode aesthetics that make it so that sims can live in container-like houses so you can make it more grungy and griddy.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Mandie997 wrote: »

Yes it is called Eco Living and gives you the means to go that way but it's not called save the planet. If I would buy this pack it would be to make a grungy world. I've always played Sims as a sandbox and don't play the grind. I had fun with Strangerville for about three days and then the grind lost my interest.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • MangoTangoTwistMangoTangoTwist Posts: 12 New Member
    I like the pack idea but I am not happy they used this as a EP. We already had some Eco themes in game and I don't think this is expanding the game play for game even though it will affect all worlds still no. A GP ok EP no.
  • lilsmileychaililsmileychai Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm kind of excited, I know not everyone is, but maybe it'll help encourage people in the real world to clean up. Lol. In my parks/sidewalks there's trash everywhere.